Fun with Aliasing
New Reply
Subscribe
poserp
5th April 2012
Old 5th April 2012
Gear addict

Fun with Aliasing

Aliasing can be fun. It's sort of the "big bad wolf" of digital audio, but I think there's a lot of potential for aliasing to be used as a synthesis technique.

5th April 2012
Old 5th April 2012
Ohx
Gear addict

Aliasing freaking rules.

All my favorite digital synths alias to hades and back.
5th April 2012
Old 5th April 2012
Lives for gear

Neat. :D

Although I hate aliasing.
poserp
5th April 2012
Old 5th April 2012
Gear addict

Based on my experiments last night I think you could use aliasing for single-key effect sounds. For instance, in the video at 1:12 there's an almost-perfect ringing bell sound. Since all that's happening in the video is slow tuning changes, it's repeatable (just have to play around a bit to find the right frequency). That sound could be done on the PC3 with, essentially, a single DSP block (or two, I'll have to see if WRAP is adding anything significant in this case). Making a similar sound using any other technique that I know of, besides sampling of course, would require far more resources.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search