Rhodes Suitcase Piano Repair
Old 3rd April 2012
Gear interested

Rhodes Suitcase Piano Repair

I recently purchased a 1975 Rhodes suitcase piano. It is truly an awesome instrument. It has been operating fine in my basement for the past 5 months, so I decided to chance it and take it to a gig. Big mistake. Upon set up at the gig I plugged the keyboard in, and it didn't work. The speaker unit powers up, but for some reason the noise wont transfer from the keyboard into the speaker unit. After I brought it home and plugged it back in, now it makes a buzzing sound.

I am desperate to figure out how to fix this thing. I am also not interested in the price tag of taking it to a professional. Any electric piano technicians out there that care to chime in?

I am new to the site. I may not have posted on the correct forum. Any help at all is greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Rhodes Suitcase Piano Repair-rhodes.jpg  
Old 4th April 2012
Lives for gear

To the left of the harp is an RCA connection. Check there, those RCA things go bad over time. I finally replaced the RCA system with 1/4" on my piano.
Old 4th April 2012
Gear interested

Thanks for the response

What do they look like, how do i test if they are bad, and how did you replace the RCA jack with a quarter inch?
Old 5th April 2012
Gear interested

So i took apart the speaker cabinet. Turns out theres a broken RCA connection on one of the circuit boards on the base of the speaker cab. All i need to do is find somebody to make this tiny solder safely on this ancient circuit board.

Can anyone tell me what those circuit boards are for?
Old 12th April 2012
Lives for gear

Old 15th April 2012
Gear interested

Thanks for that verve.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search