A slut in the wild...
New Reply
Subscribe
ebison
3rd April 2012
Old 3rd April 2012
Gear nut

A slut in the wild...

Tomorrow my modular is going out into the wild for the first time. Any advice for a small/medium rigs leaving the studio for the first time? Traps to avoid? I have 6 subs on this system, but I'm worried about blowing something by accident with really low inaudible frequencies. Is this possible? What should I tell the sound guy?

Also, for you sluts in Montreal, I'll be at USINE C at 8:00 on April 4th. A bunch synthesis / turntable related things + 12+ channel surround. One of the people worked at the Canadian Keyboard museum and provided the artists with lots of really interesting vintage gear material.
3rd April 2012
Old 3rd April 2012
Gear Guru

Here are some educated guesses:

What do you call a small-medium rig? Do you have a hand truck? Roadies? How big is the distance from your transportation to the stage? Try moving your modular out of your studio, drive a few miles, bring it to a friend's place and try to cart it upstairs or something. If that works without unseating connectors or anything, chances are that it's going to work as well for your performance.

Do you use color-coded cables? How do you store 'm? Bring spares and make sure you have enough of 'm and make some ad hoc standard like "use red for clocks, white for modulation, black for audio, etc." - on stage it might make your job easier, but it helps if you already are used to working in that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebison View Post
I'm worried about blowing something by accident with really low inaudible frequencies.
Put a limiter and an EQ over the main output. Call the sound guy in advance.
3rd April 2012
Old 3rd April 2012
Banned

Quote:
Tomorrow my modular is going out into the wild for the first time. Any advice for a small/medium rigs leaving the studio for the first time? Traps to avoid? I have 6 subs on this system, but I'm worried about blowing something by accident with really low inaudible frequencies. Is this possible? What should I tell the sound guy?

Also, for you sluts in Montreal, I'll be at USINE C at 8:00 on April 4th. A bunch synthesis / turntable related things + 12+ channel surround. One of the people worked at the Canadian Keyboard museum and provided the artists with lots of really interesting vintage gear material.
tell him to turn the bloody subs of..than you are on the safe side.. but better dont tell him why..
3rd April 2012
Old 3rd April 2012
Banned

here ..look what this guys home stereo is doing to that carpet-.. than you can figure what might happen to the sensitve circuits and calibrations of your synth when beeing exposed to 12 real subs..
People are really careless with bass polution theese days.. and they are absolutly ignorant for the risks they put the non bassers into.. passive bass can kill !!

3rd April 2012
Old 3rd April 2012

magic carpet FTW

take control over the situation, bring your own limiter/compressor, and eq (with a low cut filter). the PA guy could be drunk, or very professional, depends on what kind of place it is.
and do a soundcheck, if the subbass is a problem on stage, and interferes with monitoring (and your synth and ears), then that's a technical flaw that needs to be adressed before playing. I'd worry more about your ears then the gear.
You can buy new gear.

for sale a complete SERGE SYNTHESIZER (Creature, EQ-Shift, BOG)

for sale EURORACK MODULAR CASE

3rd April 2012
Old 3rd April 2012
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
magic carpet FTW

take control over the situation, bring your own limiter/compressor, and eq (with a low cut filter). the PA guy could be drunk, or very professional, depends on what kind of place it is.
and do a soundcheck, if the subbass is a problem on stage, and interferes with monitoring (and your synth and ears), then that's a technical flaw that needs to be adressed before playing. I'd worry more about your ears then the gear.
You can buy new gear.
sub bass dont kills ears.. only little synthezisers and harddrives .
And it might cause genital irritations. Best is to call a doctor to check their condition before you agree to expose yourself to the dangerous radiation these subs emerge. As reptile said..you cant buy new gear
ebison
4th April 2012
Old 4th April 2012
Gear nut

This is great. Thanks for all the information. I think the sound people there are professional / not drunk, but I will talk to them about sub bass / limiting for sure.

I might have to downgrade my modular to small, as I forget who I'm talking to on here.

Thanks again for the advice. The subs won't be to near me, and I don't want to go overboard with the bass so I doubt it will shake my stuff apart.

We'll see. Thanks for the help.
4th April 2012
Old 4th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
This is great. Thanks for all the information. I think the sound people there are professional / not drunk, but I will talk to them about sub bass / limiting for sure.

I might have to downgrade my modular to small, as I forget who I'm talking to on here.

Thanks again for the advice. The subs won't be to near me, and I don't want to go overboard with the bass so I doubt it will shake my stuff apart.

We'll see. Thanks for the help.
Ok just tweak until it sounds good.
4th April 2012
Old 4th April 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioconsult View Post
here ..look what this guys home stereo is doing to that carpet-.. than you can figure what might happen to the sensitve circuits and calibrations of your synth when beeing exposed to 12 real subs..
People are really careless with bass polution theese days.. and they are absolutly ignorant for the risks they put the non bassers into.. passive bass can kill !!

yo quiero
ebison
5th April 2012
Old 5th April 2012
Gear nut

Everything was great. The sound people were very helpful and competent. My piece went really well. I'll send a pic. The lighting guy made the modcan look like some sort of holy relic.

People came up during the intermission and were taking pictures of it. Others asked if it was just for show. Quite a night. Thanks for the advice.

-E
5th April 2012
Old 5th April 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Everything was great.
Good to hear that .

Now, what did you end up doing to get the modular there, what kind of preparations did you make yourself, how did the sound guys deal with it (any special adjustments to the PA or anything)?
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search