Classic MPC for sequencing???
New Reply
Subscribe
lowkey
3rd April 2012
Old 3rd April 2012
Lives for gear

Classic MPC for sequencing???

I'm seriously thinking of buying an MPC60 or MPC3000 to replace Cubase as my main sequencer. Am I crazy?

I work hybrid with hardware synths/drum machines/fx and compressors, running into a MH2882 audio interface with ADA8000 so I have 16 in and out to my MacBook pro. I also run channels from Cubase into the MH mixer for VSTs.

But I would still want to use Reaktor in my tracks. Is it possible to trigger VSTs in cubase reliably and sync Cubase to the MPC?

Cubase's midi timing tends to crap out under strain so I thought the MPC would solve that problem and help me program better drums (Vermona DRM1 and TR505) while also giving me a sample based drum machine option since the DRM has no memory.

I'd also need to buy a mixer as I will now have more inputs than my interface can handle. Any suggestions? Space is an issue.

Is an MPC viable to sequence my drums, synths and VSTs while syncing the Cubase for recording?

Anyone doing it? I mainly make deep house so no crazy sample cutting etc is required. Any advice welcome.
3rd April 2012
Old 3rd April 2012
Lives for gear

Maybe I'm an outlier, but I always found quantization on an mpc to be annoying, mostly because I like to sequence from a keyboard. If you want to sequence on the mpc pads, it's a very useful sequencer in general. The 60 is always highly valued for it's swing. Because Roger Linn kicks ass.
mp3
3rd April 2012
Old 3rd April 2012
mp3
Lives for gear

If you can't reliably record/play back MIDI with your DAW, then you probably will have a tough time syncing your DAW via MIDI.
lowkey
3rd April 2012
Old 3rd April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by apres garde View Post
If you want to sequence on the mpc pads, it's a very useful sequencer in general. .
i would like to get away from only using my keyboard for programming too, so the pads sound like they would be great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3 View Post
If you can't reliably record/play back MIDI with your DAW, then you probably will have a tough time syncing your DAW via MIDI.
thats partly why i was looking at the 60 or 3000 as they have SMPTE, which i believe locks to audio, but id love to hear from someone who has done it...
3rd April 2012
Old 3rd April 2012
Gear maniac

an mpc will do what you want it to do,...

but if you're on a macbook pro, and you're putting that much strain on it that cubase is struggling, i would take a closer look at your workflow and try to streamline that a bit more, you know bounce stuff and free up resources, stuff like that.
3rd April 2012
Old 3rd April 2012
Gear nut

hey OP

im using MPC 3000 here for most of my sequencing.

i also produce techno\deep house and made a switch from cubase.

my thougts are that the mpc is a nice tool that will bring you lots of joy and some nice features def but will hurt your workflow in some respects.

its much harder to backup/save projects, and coming from the daw world you will miss the piano roll midi editing. editing performace after the fact is also much more tedious and you will have to learn to get used to punching in or other techniques.

as far as midi timing the mpc is a beast and you will be delighted by some of the nuances you will achive on this machine.

also sequencing entire tracks can be quite limiting on the mpc. i usually just produce loops on it and then track them to cuabse for the actual arrangement. the comment about sync is also right, if your midi timing in cubase is faulty then sync will be a nightmare.

dont want to sound too negative i love my 3000, the workflow is all about music and groove and developes your listening and timing. i would maybe go for the 60 in retrospect for that special 12bit crunch and leave stereo samples for another machine with more featuers (fx,eq). maybe the classic 60+s950 combination.

feel free the ask more questions, im interested in different working enviorements.

p.s. sorry for the crap spelling
3rd April 2012
Old 3rd April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by apres garde View Post
Maybe I'm an outlier, but I always found quantization on an mpc to be annoying, mostly because I like to sequence from a keyboard.
So turn the quantization off.
3rd April 2012
Old 3rd April 2012
Gear addict

The MPC works just a well with midi keyboards as it does with the pads.

I used a 60 for years, I use a 1000 now for all midi sequencing, computer for recording, I don't midi sync since I have enough inputs for my needs but with my win7 machine and my RME card the midi is actually really soild, but from previous experience I find computers less reliable except in the area of unexpected problems, so I stick to it that way.

I would suggest a 3000 rather than a 60, the 12 bit sound of the 60 is actually higher fidelity than most think, and the limitations of the sampler aren't worth the sound. the 3000 already comes with the good OS, SCSI, FILTERS!! and some midi effects like delay etc. the 60 has no filters, and the 3000 sounds great.

Otherwise I would recomend a 1000 or 2500 with JJ OS, there you get deeper functions with the essence of the MPC still intact, but the 3000 is still a class act and a workhorse with all you should really need except a step sequencer.
3rd April 2012
Old 3rd April 2012
Lives for gear

You cant beat the 4000 for mpc sequencing for so many reasons.Not saying it has the MAGIC of Rogers models? BUT its got the highest resolution and best hands on/control features.Very tight and nice big screen ect ect ect Mute by pads and realtime features and accessable buttons and q link and usb and aksys,harddrive.Filters are pretty lethal too.It will sequence everything with no headache.No worry.
3rd April 2012
Old 3rd April 2012
Lives for gear

I have a MPC60 + S950 combo.. love it... so much that if it had [removed by moderator - sorry too graphic can't lose that "All audiences" rating]

But ya, I can see a 3k + a couple 12-bit racks being a nice combo too. 3k + S950 + Emax... that's be a nice combo too and gives you the best of both worlds - more advanced 3k sequencer and also 12-bit sampling.

I am content with my 60... I don't plan to replace it with the 3k anytime soon. I love drums on the 60 far too much.

And saving projects or samples on the 60 isn't bad at all.. I actually like the floppies and how it is soo simple, only a few hundred kb's per song/seq-project.. so, I use 1 floppy per project/song and store it like a 12" lp/single; nice and simple, 1 disk per 1 song/project. And 1-2 more disks for the samples per song. Same goes for the S950. I really like floppies now for this reason (1 disk per project) and can't imagine having to shuffle through hundreds and hundreds of samples or songs or projects in a single scsi thingy, zip or modified cf/sd card reader. File hunting/diving should be left to PCs, computers, macbooks and laptops...

Last edited by Reptil; 3rd April 2012 at 11:05 PM.. Reason: removed by moderator - sorry but too graphic
3rd April 2012
Old 3rd April 2012
Lives for gear

I just could not see using my MPC 3000 for sequencing software. Why bother, why wouldn't you just use the groove templates?

The old MPC's (60 and 3k) magic is somewhere else. For me it's the sound and sequencing together, feeling it as an instrument with a soul, being away from the computer, things like that. The results I get are just different, easy to made anything sound musical. Very deep house.
3rd April 2012
Old 3rd April 2012

hmm I thought about using my laptop as a simple software instrument canvas. like Apple's "Mainstage" or Kontakt standalone, and then sequence it from the hardware (MP-7 E-mu - it's a rompler), but then the laptop died, so the thought as well.
in case of an MPC, I'd just use the onboard sampler playback and sequencer, but I do bounce tracks inside the DAW, hack these to pieces, and then load them up into the sampler. Advantage is that you use the edit power and quality of convertors of the DAW, but use the workflow of the MPC for composing. best of both worlds? It does take extra time, and that can mess up the workflow as well...
so, only using the MPC has it's advantage as well.

for sale a complete SERGE SYNTHESIZER (Creature, EQ-Shift, BOG)

for sale EURORACK MODULAR CASE

3rd April 2012
Old 3rd April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowkey View Post
I'm seriously thinking of buying an MPC60 or MPC3000 to replace Cubase as my main sequencer. Am I crazy?

I work hybrid with hardware synths/drum machines/fx and compressors, running into a MH2882 audio interface with ADA8000 so I have 16 in and out to my MacBook pro. I also run channels from Cubase into the MH mixer for VSTs.

But I would still want to use Reaktor in my tracks. Is it possible to trigger VSTs in cubase reliably and sync Cubase to the MPC?

Cubase's midi timing tends to crap out under strain so I thought the MPC would solve that problem and help me program better drums (Vermona DRM1 and TR505) while also giving me a sample based drum machine option since the DRM has no memory.

I'd also need to buy a mixer as I will now have more inputs than my interface can handle. Any suggestions? Space is an issue.

Is an MPC viable to sequence my drums, synths and VSTs while syncing the Cubase for recording?

Anyone doing it? I mainly make deep house so no crazy sample cutting etc is required. Any advice welcome.
Sorry to say but theres a bit of misinformation on the thread (all with teh best intentions of course)

Firt off forget the 60 and 3000 becasue you will find the sequencers very frustrating coming from Cubase. They are great MPCs though, tight as hell, especially the 3000 and the 60 has the 12 bit sound which is still easily achievable if you pick up an S900 or S950. However, neither their sequencer or the tightness of their clocks is better than the MPC4000 which is 1 minuscule sample away from being sample accurate. It probably makes it the tightest hardware midi sequencer ever made. You need a super accuarte clock to work successfully with your Daw.

you shouldnt be thinking getting rid of Cubase, what you want top do is successfully merge the two systems so you can choose to work any way you want. Sometimes I will do an all hardware tune, some other tiimes all Daw and other timesa combination of the two. Its a fantastic system

I have my MPC4k able to trigger outboard synths as well as VSTs +++ keep the Daw in perfect sync using a thing called an innerclock Sync Gen LE2. It sends out sample accurate midi clock from your Daw to your MPC. It works eery time without fail. Its brilliant. No more sync issues. Innerclock Systems - Precision Midi Clock Din Sync and Tempo Synchronisation Solutions

Sometimes I get a little frustrated with the 4000's sequencer but its a helluva lot more modern than the 60, 3000, 2000/xl. and also beats the 2500 and anything with the JJOS. It also has an excellent sampler and built in USB for easy transfer of samples between your PC and MPC and another USB port for attaching a kbd for naming stuff. Might not sound ace, but when you do use that kbd its quite a time saver.

Remember, integrate both systems and you will be a lot happier. There is no need for it must be this way or that way.

Good Luck
3rd April 2012
Old 3rd April 2012

I agree with Ossicle; the magic is in playing the machine. since they're all different instruments (incl. the DAW) the feel and results will differ.

Last edited by Reptil; 4th April 2012 at 01:03 AM.. Reason: cut some mud
lowkey
4th April 2012
Old 4th April 2012
Lives for gear

I think im heading more towards the MPC 3000, mainly because of the filters and memory. Then i imagine i will sample my vst instruments into the mpc. I do have a K2000 i can use as a sampler too.

Has anyone used SMPTE to sync an MPC to audio tracks in cubase? Isnt that what it is designed to do?

I imagine that i'll still be using Cubase aswell.

Thanks for all the feedback
4th April 2012
Old 4th April 2012
Gear addict

+1 on pretty much EVERYTHING pappabear said above.

The groove is undeniable and sequencing hw with it as you describe can feel pretty satisfying, unfortunately the workflow is far from 'modern'. It was, now its not. It took me a loonng time to get comfortable enough to admit that.

Something that needs finishing...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search