Good 2-tier keyboard stands?
Old 1st April 2012
Lives for gear

Good 2-tier keyboard stands?

SO I bought a vintage 61 key keyboard, and I need a 2-tier stand. On the bottom will be the 61 key, and on the top will be a 37-key Virus TI Polar.

So far I have found 2 choices:

On-Stage Stands Pro Heavy-Duty Folding-Z Stand with 2nd Tier

This one because it got great reviews and says its all steel. The top tier locking mechanism has teeth, which seems a bit more stable. BUT you can't size the 1st and 2nd tiers independently, and that might be a problem with the two keyboards being different widths.

OR

Quik-Lok Z-726 Keyboard Stand

This one does have the ability to size the two tiers at different widths (perfect for a 61 key and a 37 key), but the top tier doesnt look as robust in the pictures.

I don't like that Ultimate stand with the V-Arms. Looks very unstable. Also those 3 tier A-frame stands are not an option, do not have enough room.

Does anyone have any experience or own any of these stands? I'm sort of wary of that top tier holding on to the Virus TI Polar on either unit.

Are there any other better options I'm missing?
Old 1st April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric J View Post
I don't like that Ultimate stand with the V-Arms. Looks very unstable.
They're not.
Old 1st April 2012
Gear addict

Monolith M-92. 61 key Virus TI on the bottom. 61 key Roland V-synth on the top. Very stable. No lower crossbar to bang your legs on if you are sitting while playing. I have not taken it out of my home studio, so I can't say how road worthy it is, but for studio use it is great.

http://www.quiklok.com/catalog/?p=pr...=75&sName=M-92
Old 1st April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by organsymphony View Post
They're not.
Can you elaborate a bit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiohack View Post

61 key Virus TI on the bottom. 61 key Roland V-synth on the top. Very stable. No lower crossbar to bang your legs on if you are sitting while playing. I have not taken it out of my home studio, so I can't say how road worthy it is, but for studio use it is great.
What is it?
Old 1st April 2012
Gear addict

See above. I must have just edited my post to add a link, when you posted your follow-up. Monolith M-92
Old 1st April 2012
Lives for gear

Looks good except it doesn't appear to be adjustable width, and appears to be too wide for a 37 key TI Polar.
Old 1st April 2012
Gear Head
I have the Quik-Lok Z-726 one pictured above and have had no problems with it. Currently I have a Korg M3 on the lower tier and a Virus TI Keyboard on the upper tier.

The one pictured though has different arms than mine. Mine is identical to the one on the Quik-Lok website Z-726 - Quik Lok - Professional Music Equipment and Accessories
Old 1st April 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric J View Post
Looks good except it doesn't appear to be adjustable width, and appears to be too wide for a 37 key TI Polar.
Ahh yes. I somehow missed that in your original post. Not enough coffee yet. Yes it would be too wide, and is not width adjustable. Before I purchased the V-synth I had a few pieces of smaller gear on the top tier by adding a makeshift plywood shelf with a lip. Not ideal in the looks department, but it got the job done for studio use. Sorry I missed that.
Old 1st April 2012
Lives for gear

I've got the OnStage one with a Juno 60 on bottom and a MonoPoly on top.. I think you're fine with setting one width to handle both.. The only thing is I didn't think the top tier adjusted high enough for my liking so I punched an extra set of holes in it to raise it a bit higher.
Old 1st April 2012
Lives for gear

Old 1st April 2012
Gear addict

I have a 3-tier Ultimate Support and have a Tempest and Mopho Keys on the top shelf using a 48" wire utility shelf (which I bought from LM Stands but could have likely bought something similar at Container Store) and it's fine. If you have a lot of desktop synths or smaller items then putting them on a wire rack works fine if you don't have adjustable width arms.
Old 2nd April 2012
Jet
Gear maniac

Quiklok WS-550 + Z-727 if you want more leg room.
Old 2nd April 2012
Gear addict

I have the on stage one. I change what's on it often (I'm a gear *****). The bottom tier is always a studiologic/fatar SL161. The top tier is whatever is current, with either a board for lots of small things, or just another full sized keyboard. VERY stable.
Old 2nd April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by organsymphony View Post
They're not.
+1

QFT

The quick lok is pretty stable and durable, can be fiddly sometimes if you want to get things perfectly level. But I have a micro-x on top of an A6 to my left right now and even if you pound on the keys it pretty steady.
Old 3rd April 2012
Lives for gear

Thanks everyone, this is all very helpful.
Old 3rd April 2012
Lives for gear

I've got a pro-heavy Z stand, and it annoys me. Yes, it's sturdy. But (a) I always stub my toe on it, (b)takes forever to assemble/break down for a gig, (c), the top tier doesn't adjust for keyboard length, so it's not great for smaller keyboards, and (d) heavy as anything.

I prefer the slightly less sturdy two tier X stands.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search