Studio Electronics Boomstar
Disease Factory
24th March 2012
Old 24th March 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlshft View Post
Wow what a analog renaissance this year has become. SE build quality has been great in the past... if the envs prove to be snappified I'm pretty sure these will be sell like hotcakes. The ARP one in particular fills a void I don't really have an answer for just yet so looking forward to audio demos on that one in particular.
Spot on, i hope its great, i like the minibrute, and if i was going after the SEM version of this synths, i would just get the minibrute.

However, i think i will go 303, or moog. I want more demos.
24th March 2012
Old 24th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analogia View Post
To address the "slow envelope" moniker which has amused and mildly irritated us over the years.
Hi greg ,

thanks for taking the time to post here . I think you nailed the envelopes on the se1x red eye and nova , they are not slow at all and very usable. even the old se1 envelopes are not SLOW like a jx10 or something that speed.

Is there any chance in the future of a cut down low cost poly synth? perhaps even just 1osc , 4 voices , no presets even . a modern juno 6 / jp4

lots of us cant afford a code / omega and the chance to do some smooth se voiced chords would be awesome
Disease Factory
24th March 2012
Old 24th March 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
you rang?

here's some i did a while ago, on ATC-X Quad Filter. mostly wankage, with filter sweep, fm, sync etc..

i imagine these new guys should sound similar to an extent, with two important differences: discrete VCA and hardware envelopes. all four filters here were really nice themselves. compared to originals i had next by, id say they were somewhat softer, polite with tad less character bite. maybe they revisited/updated the filter circuits, and not just repackaged them. ARP was most beautiful to me, but rather noisy (maybe the unit i had was phuked up). as u can hear, atc has harmonics and top end in spades, which lends itself beautifully to lot of filter tweaking, fm, sync and other functions..

ATC-Xw303
ATC-XwARP-PW
ATC-Xwmoog
ATC-XwOB

ATC-Xw303-P54
ATC-XwARP-P54
ATC-Xwmoog-P54-menacing-bass
ATC-XwOB-P54

ATC-Xw303-FM
ATC-XwARP-FM
ATC-Xwmoog-FM
ATC-XwOB-P39-MAYHEM-fm-sync-selfoscillation-pwm-etc

ATC-Xw303-LFO-VCF-SYNC
ATCXQF-LP/ATC-XwARP-P24-SYNC-RESO
ATC-Xwmoog-SYNC-VCF

ATC-Xwmoog-2xSAW
ATC-XwOB-2xSAW
/ATC-Xwmoog-2xTRIA
ATC-Xwmoog-P103-ring mod
ATC-Xwmoog-P56-classic
ATCXQF-LP/ATC-Xwmoog-porta
ATC-Xwmoog-PWM-RESO
ATC-Xwmoog-slow-sweep
ATC-Xwmoog-VCF-SH
ATC-Xwmoog-P31-PWM-VCF-FM-SH-etc

i hope the blueprints of an updated ATC-Xqf.. with discrete everything, and hw envelopes, memory, cv/gate.. in a desktop with knobs, is moving arround somewhere on their future products table.. that would be my absolute dream SE product. nice memory-capable monos are so few.

From these demos the moog filter pwns them all. The tone and the fatness and the resonance just kick ass. Why cant new moogs sound this good. such a joke.
24th March 2012
Old 24th March 2012
Gear addict

My Studio

About those envelops time "problems", Arturia found a good idea with the switch that give fast or slow env time.
The second thing that put the minibrute apart is the feedback circuit, that take their synth to another new direction. Make it but with patchable in/out to insert some fx like chorus/disto/reverb/... and it'll be a more "open" synth, with some unpredictable sound with this feedback overload that would make it more alive and modern ready to glitch.

Two great additions that would make it really desirable for me.
Without those options it'll have to battle with all those new modules that appear this year and have those kind of specs.
24th March 2012
Old 24th March 2012
Lives for gear

[post deleted by author for being superfluous]
24th March 2012
Old 24th March 2012
Lives for gear

These look very interesting. Looking forward to hearing these. I might have to hold off on that Minitaur
24th March 2012
Old 24th March 2012
Gear nut

I must say from the work samples above (thank you clusterchord) The Moog filters sound great. I'm still going with the Arp 4075, but the Moog might be next on the list. I wish SE would release a Buchla inspired Boomstar. They could even sell for twice as much. People expect it HaHa.
24th March 2012
Old 24th March 2012
Top Gear addict

"Boomstar" the funny version of "supernova"? Where running out of names. Code 1 would sound better, but that's just me.

Com Truise and Mord Fustang are inspiration to the industry i guess...
24th March 2012
Old 24th March 2012
Gear addict

Here's an old demo I made to represent ATC-X's filters.

Moog filter starts at 0:35, SEM (LP than HP) starts at 1:35, 303 starts at 2:35, ARP starts at 3:35.

All sounds from ATC-X except pad, which is Yamaha EX5. Delays and phaser are from Access Virus Classic. Reverb is TC M2000.

http://freemp3host.com/play:6413
24th March 2012
Old 24th March 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
See? This. This is truly awesome. They're going to move like hotcakes.
Funny, IHOP only charges me $5 for hotcakes It seems like there are a few different price points that people make their decisions for. $100 is one, $500 is another and then $1000. I think that is part of why the Minibrute has generated as much interest as it has. Fewer people have 800-1000 to drop compared to 500. The Boomstars look nice and it was cool seeing the SE guy say they could still make that change and offer to hook Himalaya up. Nice to know so many of the synth companies are actively reading places like here and VSE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboy73 View Post
These look very interesting. Looking forward to hearing these. I might have to hold off on that Minitaur
Remember the Taurus filter is different from the standard Moog filter. So while this Moog filter Boomstar may cover the regular filter, I don't think it's switchable to the Taurus filter as well. Altho that would be DAMN cool . I've had my Minitaur for a couple of weeks now and I'm enjoying it greatly.
24th March 2012
Old 24th March 2012
Gear maniac

I endorse this product and or service.
25th March 2012
Old 25th March 2012
Gear nut

A Boomstar with the CS filter would be amazing! I think many people have a Moog already and can buy an SEM for about the same price as this, but a Yamaha is a little more unusual and interesting to me.
Disease Factory
25th March 2012
Old 25th March 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

What moog, phatty and voyager the filter does not open up all the way you can not get open filter bright osc sounds out of them at all, it cripples those synths. The studio electronics stuff sounds more old moog for that reason alone.

There is no new midi moog that sounds like the micromoog, and model d. The creamware minimax sounds more like those than the voyager and phatty. so no, no one has the true moog sound unless you own a old 4000 dollar synth. so no.

Voyager, and phatty do not cut it with me. Tis why i want the moog model of this one.

The arp filter is tweetier not as beefy. The 303 sounds anemic, and the 12 db sem is meh, i say go minibrute for a multimode filter.
Disease Factory
25th March 2012
Old 25th March 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by relis View Post
Here's an old demo I made to represent ATC-X's filters.

Moog filter starts at 0:35, SEM (LP than HP) starts at 1:35, 303 starts at 2:35, ARP starts at 3:35.

All sounds from ATC-X except pad, which is Yamaha EX5. Delays and phaser are from Access Virus Classic. Reverb is TC M2000.

relis? ATCX filters
You link does not work :(
25th March 2012
Old 25th March 2012
Lives for gear

imo SE rendition of SEM filter is meatier, richer but polite compared to Steiner Parker, which in turn,being a rather different multimode design, finds its excellence in edgier, agressive (thinner?) sound applications, and less controlled/stable resonance.

i wonder how will SE implement the controls for the SEM version of Boomstar, considering the CGI renders show the same front panel for all four versions, and SEM one needs some extra filter controls... for starters, a pot governing mix between LP and HP and resulting notch (band reject) from mixing those two signals. and then a separate switch for BP. that is, if they are going to stay faithful to the original setup.

i agree with DF that SE moog rendition sounds great. it does not sound exactly like minimoog, but i dare say , using SE1X Angel Dust next to my minimoog for few weeks, i actually preferred SE version of transistor ladder for some applications.. its just so juicy and liquid, sometimes even moreso than original.

yet, of all four, im most looking forward to hearing the ARP version of Boomstar... as it quite probably might be something for moi.. the resonance on it is just fantastic if your looking for extra character (beyond moogs sweetness) whilst retaining some tone and warmth.. i can only imagine what will happen when you engage the newly implemented feedback control (a.k.a. headphone trick) and/or analog overdrive on top of all this... mmmm...

303 sounds okay but it has quite a strong competition from existing clones like XoxBox or the upgraded version of it w 2 vcos etc, or Acidlab Bassline3 or Bombass.

PS if you can, please give us some MIDI CC control of important parameters. like minitaur does. that's sorta like best of both worlds, somewhere btwn having, and not having preset memory.
Disease Factory
25th March 2012
Old 25th March 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

I really want the moog one, then i might get a minibrute to go with it, because the mini brute has some cool stuff too. plus its a small controller.
25th March 2012
Old 25th March 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disease Factory View Post
You link does not work :(
Fixed!
Disease Factory
25th March 2012
Old 25th March 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by relis View Post
Fixed!
The moog sounds he best to me, like liquid. Fat too, the 303 is meh, the sem is ok, the arp is ok.

This demo makes me want a ATC, i wonder how good it does fast attack reso bass ate 145 bpm 16th notes?
25th March 2012
Old 25th March 2012
Lives for gear

mw -> flt?
25th March 2012
Old 25th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufty View Post
mw -> flt?
I don't understand what you wrote. Is it "modulation wheel to filter"?
What did you mean?
25th March 2012
Old 25th March 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahush76 View Post
I don't understand what you wrote. Is it "modulation wheel to filter"?
What did you mean?
If that is what he meant, it could be how he is suggesting the synth would handle the mix between the 2 filter types. Would be odd, but would let them not add an extra knob if they really wanted.
25th March 2012
Old 25th March 2012
Lives for gear

while filter mix would be TIGHHT

yes, midi mod wheel (mw) to filter cutoff (flt)

maybe i'm lazy...i really like it

even better

mod wheel y -> filter cutoff
mod wheel x -> filter resonance

allows one to get crafty w/the controller joystick.. fwwwWWWOOOOOOOOOPPPppppppthhhhbtphtttt
25th March 2012
Old 25th March 2012
Gear nut

Just the two of us

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post
If that is what he meant, it could be how he is suggesting the synth would handle the mix between the 2 filter types. Would be odd, but would let them not add an extra knob if they really wanted.
Please don't hate on us too much, but as it stands now, we're only going to
be able to offer two modes of the SEM filter, LP and BP. We've put a lot of
hardware into this box, and on this feature we're not be able to satisfy the desire that there be the same functionality as the original SEM filter. Can't do everything. We're keeping the signal path clean and free from electronic switching. To get the HP output for us would require just that, and we're out of pcb room for another pot and mix amp. Over budget also. There will ccs for control and a way to route the modwheel to filter cutoff. Updated specs and a new pic will be up soon. Thanks to your comments and clever minds, we have made some very nice improvements.

Face mask is on.

Greg St. Regis
Studio Electronics
25th March 2012
Old 25th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
hardware into this box, and on this feature we're not be able to satisfy the desire that there be the same functionality as the original SEM filter. Can't do everything. We're keeping the signal path clean and free from electronic switching. To get the HP output for us would require just that, and we're out of pcb room for another pot and mix amp. Over budget also. There will ccs for control and a way to route the modwheel to filter cutoff. Updated specs and a new pic will be up soon. Thanks to your comments and clever minds, we have made some very nice improvements.

Face mask is on.

Greg St. Regis
Studio Electronics
When can we start hearing some audio demos from the actual devices?
25th March 2012
Old 25th March 2012
Gear addict

Quote:

Face mask is on.

Greg St. Regis
Studio Electronics

do you have an idea of when some demos will be available for our listening pleasure?
25th March 2012
Old 25th March 2012
Matrix Modulator

I hope SE are considering a fifth model for a hundred clams (or so) more that would allow you to switch out the filter.

That would fill a unique niche in the growing new analog world.
25th March 2012
Old 25th March 2012
Gear Head

Studio Electronics...

While its nice to see a new product, I would like SE to improve their current product line by offering timely software updates for the Omega 8 that I own. It has been 4 years since the last update. Calls and emails don't seem to work...
25th March 2012
Old 25th March 2012
Lives for gear

My Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by crescentmoon View Post
While its nice to see a new product, I would like SE to improve their current product line by offering timely software updates for the Omega 8 that I own. It has been 4 years since the last update. Calls and emails don't seem to work...
I've been waiting since 1996 for Studio Electronics to bring out new filters for my ATC-1.
25th March 2012
Old 25th March 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Please don't hate on us too much
No hate at all Greg, I was trying to help clarify what your statement seemed to be. Sounds like you guys are doing as much as you can and stretching a bit to try and get last minute fixes in, which I know many in this thread appreciate. I don't think I will be a Boomstar customer (not anytime soon anyway unless I can get that new job ), but a line of quality products with several different options available is only a good thing. You can't please everyone, especially Disease Factory (), but trying to please everyone usually leads to a compromised product. Stay focused, tweak what makes sense to tweak and let it all hang out.
25th March 2012
Old 25th March 2012
Lives for gear

nice ass kissing, that man!
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search