Login / Register

Studio Electronics Boomstar
New Reply
Subscribe
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
Banned

Ten months since this thing was announced. In that time, I've bought a MiniBrute, a Mesa Triple Rectifier, three oscillators and a filter for my Dot Com system, a Schecter 8-string, a multitude of DVD's, an E4XT Turbo, a Virtuoso 2000, a pair of Equator D5's, and various video games. This is all money that was at one point being saved for when the Boomstar came out. I've got some extra money coming to me in a couple weeks for all the overtime I worked through the holidays and I was thinking of saving that back for the Boomstar. I really wanted SE to have my money, but I just don't see it happening now. Sure, he's accepting deposits now, but will the Boomstars ever come out? I didn't complain too much about the MiniBrute delays because at least they attempted to touch base with their customers. This thing with SE is getting ridiculous. At this point, I'm inclined to think that the Boomstar is just another Stromberg.
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Ten months since this thing was announced. In that time, I've bought a MiniBrute, a Mesa Triple Rectifier, three oscillators and a filter for my Dot Com system, a Schecter 8-string, a multitude of DVD's, an E4XT Turbo, a Virtuoso 2000, a pair of Equator D5's, and various video games. This is all money that was at one point being saved for when the Boomstar came out. I've got some extra money coming to me in a couple weeks for all the overtime I worked through the holidays and I was thinking of saving that back for the Boomstar. I really wanted SE to have my money, but I just don't see it happening now. Sure, he's accepting deposits now, but will the Boomstars ever come out? I didn't complain too much about the MiniBrute delays because at least they attempted to touch base with their customers. This thing with SE is getting ridiculous. At this point, I'm inclined to think that the Boomstar is just another Stromberg.
No minituar? Lol, I'm jk. But, seriously, that wait for my minibrute was rough. The boomstar, not so much. I have my hands full with the brute, I'm blown away on how it can go toe to toe with my friends dotcom setup.
Synthesizers: Akai AX60, Arturia Minibrute, Korg Poly 61, Korg EX800, Roland Alpha Juno 1, Kawai K3, Yamaha DX200, Roland EM-101, Korg microKorg, Roland SH-01 GAIA, Mutable Instruments Shruthi-1 (SMR-4 and Polivoks filter versions)

Guitars: Custom 2008 MIC Squier Stratocaster and 1986 Kramer ZX30 Aerostar.
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtinct View Post
No minituar? Lol, I'm jk. But, seriously, that wait for my minibrute was rough. The boomstar, not so much. I have my hands full with the brute, I'm blown away on how it can go toe to toe with my friends dotcom setup.
Yeah, the MiniBrute surprised me. First analog synth from a softsynth company, I really wasn't expecting much, especially at that price point. I've still got more power and versatility in my Dot Com, but I like the way the Brute slices its way through a mix. That filter...
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Gear maniac

Seems to be getting closer...

30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus Voltage View Post

30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:

Wow, what an ugly synth ... S.E. is usually good with aesthetics, but damn, this thing's hideous.
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by laikenf View Post
Wow, what an ugly synth ... S.E. is usually good with aesthetics, but damn, this thing's hideous.
Horses for courses, I guess - I've always thought most of the SE stuff is kind of 90s ugly, but at least this is from the current century. Not that it's particularly appealing or anything, but kinda ok in an utilitarian way.
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
Lives for gear

Looks great to me ... !!!

I see "sound." With hope, it will be terrific ...
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by laikenf View Post
The 3D renders had the silver fronted "cosmos" style knobs (same as used on the Moog stuff). The unit in person looks to be using a different type of knob which doesn't look as nice. I thought it looked much better with the cosmos knobs.
22nd January 2013
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear maniac

According to the Studio Electronics website:

"Boomstar @ NAMM, Noisebug Booth, Hall A #6005"

messiaen
22nd January 2013
Old 22nd January 2013
messiaen

I wonder if this will blow away the subphatty??
22nd January 2013
Old 22nd January 2013
Banned

Dammit, my gear lust for this thing is creeping up again. Starting to think that since I don't seem to use more than one note at a time on the polysynths, selling them off and getting one of these would be awesome. ...but then again, at the rate things have been going, they probably won't be available for purchase for another year anyway.
22nd January 2013
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by messiaen View Post
I wonder if this will blow away the subphatty??
Certainly not in looks ;-) Remind me painfully of the behringer knob-midi-boxes.

But if they sound good I am sure I will get over that!
22nd January 2013
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmuck View Post
Certainly not in looks ;-) Remind me painfully of the behringer knob-midi-boxes.

But if they sound good I am sure I will get over that!
They look like a practical size. I bet two of these would fit in the same space as a Sub Phatty.

Not super keen on the mixer using mini knobs though. The knobs need a white line down them too.
23rd January 2013
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

its all cost cutting to bring better sound in a lower priced machine... one shouldn't view this with "moog glasses" where you (over)pay for gorgeous design too. unlike moogmusic, SE always strived to get you more sound/features for the buck, and this is their biggest effort in this direction to date..

another thing is, you shouldnt compare this to DE or MFBs... not all analogs are built the same way.. and as cheap to make. some parts cost more than others. iirc they announced thru hole tech here, in vintage tradition, and hand matched transistor pairs.

this traditionally always meant two thing: expensive to make, but sounds big and cholesterole induced. so idea is a higher end analog covered in a cheaper clothes. whether that will be the case here, remains to be seen.. the demos we heard so far were terrible but that may mean squat.

23rd January 2013
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

Ive got no issues with the design of this synth - a box with a bunch of knobs on it - fine with me. Lets see if it sounds good...
23rd January 2013
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear nut

I really hope the final version has knobs that aren't all black - a white indicator line like on this (left) knob above would make all the difference in live and low light situations. Currently, it's hard to see what's going on.
23rd January 2013
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear addict

FWIW, being at the beginning of putting together my own little mono synth (for myself, and the fun-of-it), I can appreciate the time it's taken SE to get to the point they're at.

Perhaps the only mistake they made was announcing it too early. I know Ken MacBeth seems to take a long time to put a design together, and everyone is generally quite pleased with the results and respects the time put into it.

If SE is "getting things right" and their pricing target holds, then we all could be in for something pretty special. I'm willing to wait, myself.
23rd January 2013
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougD View Post

I really hope the final version has knobs that aren't all black - a white indicator line like on this (left) knob above would make all the difference in live and low light situations. Currently, it's hard to see what's going on.
You can probably replace the knobs yourself pretty easily. Those "moog style" knobs are called "cosmos knobs".

I agree though, the cheaper knobs is one of the (many) things that turned me off on this synth.
23rd January 2013
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzlemeister View Post
If SE is "getting things right" and their pricing target holds, then we all could be in for something pretty special. I'm willing to wait, myself.
I agree. I mean, if we're getting essentially an SE-1 with snappy hardware envelopes (addressing what seems to be the ONLY consistent complaint about the SE-1) at well under $1K, that's gonna be a monosynth to be reckoned with.
23rd January 2013
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear interested

think it looks great.
heres hoping for a decent price in Europe
23rd January 2013
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzlemeister View Post
FWIW, being at the beginning of putting together my own little mono synth (for myself, and the fun-of-it), I can appreciate the time it's taken SE to get to the point they're at.

Perhaps the only mistake they made was announcing it too early. I know Ken MacBeth seems to take a long time to put a design together, and everyone is generally quite pleased with the results and respects the time put into it.

Yeah, well the big difference between Ken Macbeth and studio electronics, is that while he is developing a new synth - he constantly posts vids, soundclouds and updates.
From studio electronics you get a dead silence.
And Ken is a one man show.
23rd January 2013
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

Personally I think the knobs look the business - for the price vs features in the synth! They seem very tactile which can not be said about all knobs on certain synths. Waldorf knobs on, say, Bloefeld spring to mind. Even though they look all nice and shiny, the smooth surface is just not the right approach. These SE Boomstar knobs seem much more practical and 'grabbable' in comparison. Sure, I'd prefer the Moog style or Vermona style knobs, but SE have to cut corners somewhere. I'd rather they have these (still very practical) knobs than better knobs but less features (or inferior sound!).

Seriously, people, these are good knobs!
Signed: your local knob dealer.
23rd January 2013
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:

What's with the holes on the side of the unit?
23rd January 2013
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear interested

air holes for the hamster
23rd January 2013
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

rofl
23rd January 2013
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by CfNorENa View Post
...if we're getting essentially an SE-1 with snappy hardware envelopes (addressing what seems to be the ONLY consistent complaint about the SE-1) at well under $1K, that's gonna be a monosynth to be reckoned with.
According to Studio Electronics, the SE-1X Red Eye and Angel Dust editions have faster envelopes than the SE-1/standard SE-1X. I haven't tried them myself yet though...
23rd January 2013
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by volumetrik View Post
What's with the holes on the side of the unit?
More than likely those are access holes to trimmers so you can adjust the scale, tuning, filter, etc.

All old (and not so old) analog synths have trimmers for making similar adjustments. For example, on the Roland SH-2, there are 5 or 6 holes that are capped across the panel, and on the Pro One, there are open timmer holes on the panel as well.
23rd January 2013
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahush76 View Post
Yeah, well the big difference between Ken Macbeth and studio electronics, is that while he is developing a new synth - he constantly posts vids, soundclouds and updates.
From studio electronics you get a dead silence.
And Ken is a one man show.
Not sure that I get this 'I want it now, Mommy' syndrome. I don't expect Ken to post updates week by week for every step he takes. Sure it might be fun to go for the ride or watch him build something, then change his mind, then tear it all down, come back with another adaptation, and possibly repeat. But none of that is necessary.

The thing that seems silly to me is that once someone else does something like this (their way of working), people expect all the other companies to make that their way of working too. Why do you expect that?

It takes time to build a quality product and get it 'right'. But it seems like a lot of people like to play the spoiled child card. I prefer to wait so that companies get it right. And I think it's a slap to the companies face when people start to label the synth as 'vaporware'. I'm glad that Future Retro went with their final design on the XS instead of the initial 303 architecture. Much more expressive of a synth and overall better.
23rd January 2013
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Guru

I think people don't mind waiting; it's posting a very promising render and then essentially having radio silence what irks 'm.

The hardest thing to determine when you're still deeply in the R&D phase is when it's going to be finished, because problems will always come out of unexpected places so you may have to do things again, which takes more time. The solution is either to have a regular update schedule so you can see that something is happening, or to release teaser images when you have a very high certainty of being able to release to market within a month or so. In hindsight this render took about a year to become reality; you want to build momentum, you want to involve fans - so keeping quiet for longer would probably've been a better option.

You could see it as "mommy I want it now", but "shut up and take my money!" would probably be more correct. And what company would refuse that money?

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search