Subscribe
Oli
22nd March 2012
Old 22nd March 2012
Oli
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey M View Post
Couldn't care less about the name. SE sound with hardware envs equals WANT.
Much agreed.
Disease Factory
22nd March 2012
Old 22nd March 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

I don't know what filter i like the most out of the models they offer, i need demos.
22nd March 2012
Old 22nd March 2012
Lives for gear

Would've loved to have the option of having a few filters in the one module..
I know they do this with the ATC and SE1-X, but I like this pure analogue route.
Does it have the discrete VCA's? They made a WORLD of difference in my Code.
MONITRING: Focal Solo's. Mackie Big Knob
22nd March 2012
Old 22nd March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahush76 View Post
I think this is all the "new rage". If you consider the last couple of years analog synth crop, you'll find that lots of them have no presets\memory:
Arturia Minibrute, Moog Minitaur, doepfer Dark Energy, mode machines synthlab, new SEM, eowave synths, krakken, GRP, korg Monotron - just to name a few.
Get over it. This is the way things are now, and it's a good thing imo.
theres still exceptions ,

all the DSI stuff , waldorf pulse 2 , slim phatty , mfb nexus

its not a good or bad thing either way . I hardly ever use presets , they are always awful , and I never save my own patches , they are created for the track at the time

but I always like flexibility and its something nice to have on synth just incase you need it .

that being said , I love my se1x red eye to bits and this and the pulse 2 are at the top of my watch list for the new synths.

what is strange , lots of the new synths have full digital midi control of all paramaters so it would be no effort to put some buttons and memory in there , the synth architecture is ready to go . perhaps more of a fashion thing than an actual cost reduction cause.
22nd March 2012
Old 22nd March 2012
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

I'd agree that we are spoiled for choice with analogue monosynths.

I know it's been discussed to death, but IMO it still would be nice to see some new 2 oscillator polysynths in the Dave Smith Instruments Prophet sort of price range.

I know some people will want only analogue. I don't care if it's digital, so long as it sounds good enough, and can avoid some of the issues digital synths can be prone to; aliasing in the higher octaves, and stepping. I know some will disagree, but I think we're at the point that a dedicated hardware digital synth should be able to convincingly emulate analogue. Uhe's Diva sounds very close to me, indistinguishable sometimes, and that's on Windows.

So many luscious looking mono-synths on the market already, many being announced, and many going into production. Obviously manufacturers must believe there is some money in it - I wonder if any company other than DSI is game to release a Poly. Alesis went all out and made the supersynth. Perhaps a little smaller, maybe similar specs to the Prophet 08, or maybe VA that has reached maturity.

Is the increase in production of mono-synths likely to have any effect on whether a poly is produced?
22nd March 2012
Old 22nd March 2012
Lives for gear

Nice Price, Nice Specs, great company reputation...this is going to be a fantastic product. Is it available already?

I see that they still sell their manuals...
22nd March 2012
Old 22nd March 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnypowell View Post
Does it have the discrete VCA's? They made a WORLD of difference in my Code.
It seems so:

Discrete voltage controlled analog oscillators, filter, amplifier and envelopes.

I never quite get over ATCX I sold last year. This could be my next analog mono! The price is OK. The sound was never questionable but the software envelopes were and it's corrected.

I think I'd take moog filter. They make just the right bandwidth, strong and defined sound with tremendous bottom end.

Another quote from Specs & Architecture:

No Curtis chips.
22nd March 2012
Old 22nd March 2012
Lives for gear

looks like the perfect second synth next to my brand new omega 8
22nd March 2012
Old 22nd March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvsky View Post
theres still exceptions ,

all the DSI stuff , waldorf pulse 2 , slim phatty , mfb nexus .
Never heard of the mfb "nexus". Perhaps you meant dominion x?
Anyway, you can add all the Vermona synths to the list of no preset synths, analogue solutions Leiptzig, and the list goes on.
I wouldn't call 10 different synths from 10 different companies an "exception".
All i'm saying is that in the last couple of years there appears to be a revival of "analog without presets". More and more new synths join this category - and i bet there's more yet to come.
22nd March 2012
Old 22nd March 2012
Lives for gear

22nd March 2012
Old 22nd March 2012
Gear Guru

My Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analogia View Post
You've helped to make our little beast better.
See? This. This is truly awesome. They're going to move like hotcakes.
22nd March 2012
Old 22nd March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahush76 View Post
Never heard of the mfb "nexus". Perhaps you meant dominion x?
Anyway, you can add all the Vermona synths to the list of no preset synths, analogue solutions Leiptzig, and the list goes on.
I wouldn't call 10 different synths from 10 different companies an "exception".
All i'm saying is that in the last couple of years there appears to be a revival of "analog without presets". More and more new synths join this category - and i bet there's more yet to come.
And of course, how could i forget: the upcoming macbeth micromac & vortex. No preset synths are all over the place.
22nd March 2012
Old 22nd March 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

If they do this with a CS80 filter, I will have found nirvana
22nd March 2012
Old 22nd March 2012
Gear maniac

If these little beasts sound great, then my money will go
22nd March 2012
Old 22nd March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks Himalaya for the critique. You make a good point. There could be many occasions where an Osc 1 level pot would be very useful. I thought about it initially, but not in the way you did, so it was not included.
We've not yet finalized all the pcbs, so we can make a last minute tweak. We'll put the Osc 1 and 2 level controls together at the bottom and move the Env1 to PW1 in the envelope section. You've helped to make our little beast better. A special deal for your own Boomstar is yours. Call or email me. Uh oh, I'm in trouble now. I've opened the door to more...

Greg St. Regis
Studio Electronics
That that extend you may consider to put the patch points which are in front of pots to move them to the front or back of the case (and make room for additional pots if desired).
And the switches for the wave mix on both OSC may be changed for pots to enable the user to choose a gradient between the two waveforms.

Btw does it have a headphone output? Or an audio input for the filter?
22nd March 2012
Old 22nd March 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuse View Post
That that extend you may consider to put the patch points which are in front of pots to move them to the front or back of the case (and make room for additional pots if desired).
And the switches for the wave mix on both OSC may be changed for pots to enable the user to choose a gradient between the two waveforms.

Boomstar Specifications and Architecture
22nd March 2012
Old 22nd March 2012
Lives for gear

Offering fm, sync and the option of disabling the tracking of vco-2 is great, but the single audio-rate fm routing would be even more usefull if the vco-1 tracking could be disabled alternatively Individual control of the vco's levels is a must !
22nd March 2012
Old 22nd March 2012
Lives for gear

Looks pretty cool.
How fast does the LFO go?
22nd March 2012
Old 22nd March 2012
Gear addict

My Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuse View Post

A proper 6,35 jack at the back would be cool too.
22nd March 2012
Old 22nd March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks Himalaya for the critique. You make a good point. There could be many occasions where an Osc 1 level pot would be very useful. I thought about it initially, but not in the way you did, so it was not included.
We've not yet finalized all the pcbs, so we can make a last minute tweak. We'll put the Osc 1 and 2 level controls together at the bottom and move the Env1 to PW1 in the envelope section. You've helped to make our little beast better. A special deal for your own Boomstar is yours. Call or email me. Uh oh, I'm in trouble now. I've opened the door to more...

Greg St. Regis
Studio Electronics
awesome work, and kinda logical considering where the market is moving with small desktops as of late. i'm really glad you finally made a move towards hardware envelopes. and nice touch on including the filter input, and overdrive on VCA which i always liked on SE products. and control for feedback... wow.

if possible include that small pot for SUB OSC level too?

ditto on master out quarter inch jack somewhere.

the ARP version is most interesting to me, bcs other versions are well represented on the market be it SEM, or moog or 303. perhaps consider doing the dual CS filter instead of SEM or 303. a dual CS fliter so it emulates the normal voice of the CS series... with both HP and LP resonant filters. moog is always interesting, esp dual vco at this price range. and with all paired transistors i expect it to sound even better than previous SE renditions.

WTB: Qu-Bit Nebulae • ALM S.G.B. • Tip Top Studio Bus

FS: Waldorf Q blue kbd v32 • Maxon Vactrol Phaser • ADAM P22A monitors • Kenton Pro2000 mkII
22nd March 2012
Old 22nd March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:

Greg St. Regis
Studio Electronics
Hi Greg,
I'm very pleasantly surprised to see a Studio Electronics representative here, lending support to my feedback. I was hesitant to write that initially, as I didn't want to appear to criticize a synth which is not yet released, but you took it in a very constructive way! So thank you for taking part in this thread and your openness. Clustechord's mention of a sub osc level pot is also very desirable.

Now...where's that email...ah I got it...
22nd March 2012
Old 22nd March 2012
Gear nut

Great News!

But why not make the filter user changeable modules?

And a CS80 filter would be just IT!!!
22nd March 2012
Old 22nd March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disease Factory View Post
I don't know what filter i like the most out of the models they offer, i need demos.
you rang?

here's some i did a while ago, on ATC-X Quad Filter. mostly wankage, with filter sweep, fm, sync etc..

i imagine these new guys should sound similar to an extent, with two important differences: discrete VCA and hardware envelopes. all four filters here were really nice themselves. compared to originals i had next by, id say they were somewhat softer, polite with tad less character bite. maybe they revisited/updated the filter circuits, and not just repackaged them. ARP was most beautiful to me, but rather noisy (maybe the unit i had was phuked up). as u can hear, atc has harmonics and top end in spades, which lends itself beautifully to lot of filter tweaking, fm, sync and other functions..

ATC-Xw303
ATC-XwARP-PW
ATC-Xwmoog
ATC-XwOB

ATC-Xw303-P54
ATC-XwARP-P54
ATC-Xwmoog-P54-menacing-bass
ATC-XwOB-P54

ATC-Xw303-FM
ATC-XwARP-FM
ATC-Xwmoog-FM
ATC-XwOB-P39-MAYHEM-fm-sync-selfoscillation-pwm-etc

ATC-Xw303-LFO-VCF-SYNC
ATCXQF-LP/ATC-XwARP-P24-SYNC-RESO
ATC-Xwmoog-SYNC-VCF

ATC-Xwmoog-2xSAW
ATC-XwOB-2xSAW
/ATC-Xwmoog-2xTRIA
ATC-Xwmoog-P103-ring mod
ATC-Xwmoog-P56-classic
ATCXQF-LP/ATC-Xwmoog-porta
ATC-Xwmoog-PWM-RESO
ATC-Xwmoog-slow-sweep
ATC-Xwmoog-VCF-SH
ATC-Xwmoog-P31-PWM-VCF-FM-SH-etc

i hope the blueprints of an updated ATC-Xqf.. with discrete everything, and hw envelopes, memory, cv/gate.. in a desktop with knobs, is moving arround somewhere on their future products table.. that would be my absolute dream SE product. nice memory-capable monos are so few.
22nd March 2012
Old 22nd March 2012
Gear addict

My Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
i hope the blueprints of an updated ATC-Xqf.. with discrete everything, and hw envelopes, memory.. in a desktop with at least cpl of knobs, is moving arround somewhere on their future products table.. that would be my dream SE product. memory-capable monos are so few.
Same thing here (I would personally prefer a rack version, I have no more space on my desk lol). Arpeggiator would be nice too.
22nd March 2012
Old 22nd March 2012
Lives for gear

that's easy, they make it virus- or xt-style, a desktop with rack ears... exchangeable with wooden endbells
22nd March 2012
Old 22nd March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJB06 View Post
Looks pretty cool.
Now you make it sound like it's a car.

And why the heck nobody asked for wooden panels yet?
What's wrong with you guys?
Bio
22nd March 2012
Old 22nd March 2012
Bio
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJB06 View Post
And how slow ?

I had atc-x, se-1, se-1x and the lfo were neither slow nor fast.

It's a very good move !

Strange that there was initialy no volume for VCO 1, when you know that the behaviour of a VCF depend largely on the input level.
22nd March 2012
Old 22nd March 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by himalaya View Post
Osc 1 can have two waves at the same time + a sub oscillator.
The question is, though, can you control the volume of the sub oscillator?

I suspect that the answer is "no", since you can't on the Omega, but I would love to be wrong.
22nd March 2012
Old 22nd March 2012
Lives for gear

It looks like you can't. Clusterchord is already on the case, hopefully SE will include a sub osc level pot as well.
22nd March 2012
Old 22nd March 2012
Lives for gear

will there be rack mount kits for these? would be cool if you could rack mount 2 of them together.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search