What kind of programming hell am I getting in to (SQR-1)?
nebelfrau
17th March 2012
Old 17th March 2012
Lives for gear

What kind of programming hell am I getting in to (SQR-1)? Also, dead battery.

Noodling around on eBay for an ESI-32, of which I need no intro to, and an auction pops up for one that includes Ensoniq's SQR-1, and since I like new toys, especially when they are on the cheap, I went for it. The auction says it comes with the manual, but to get a head start I do some googling and thread searching for said synth... Not much luck.

I keep getting results for the ESQ, which would be fine if I had ever used one, but I have NO experience with. In fact, I have no hands on experience with any Ensoniq product. I've read that the Mirage (I know it's a sampler) runs on HEX, are their other synth products the same? I'm not daunted by my purchase, but I suppose what I am getting at is... Is the front panel enough? Should I invest in an especially knobby MIDI controller to really "unleash" it? Thoughts? Any owners, past or present, want to chime in?

Posted from my colon.

Edit: No wonder I couldn't find it, seller listed it as SQR-1 when it is in fact SQ-R. Told you I have no Ensoniq experience
nebelfrau
17th March 2012
Old 17th March 2012
Lives for gear

Ok, I'll try something else....

The battery in the SQR-1 is dead and needs to be replaced. Initially I figured I could just leave it like that, as I won't be using the presets, but if the interface isn't particularily inviting, I may want to save any of my patches. SO any suggestions for this? It seems most rackmount synths have easily replaceable batteries. Digital anyway. But I'm going nowhere fast in my searches. Back to google!
17th March 2012
Old 17th March 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebelfrau View Post
Ok, I'll try something else....

The battery in the SQR-1 is dead and needs to be replaced. Initially I figured I could just leave it like that, as I won't be using the presets, but if the interface isn't particularily inviting, I may want to save any of my patches. SO any suggestions for this? It seems most rackmount synths have easily replaceable batteries. Digital anyway. But I'm going nowhere fast in my searches. Back to google!
The battery in mine died many moons ago. I just taped a simple penlite holder to the inside somewhere. This was so long ago that I can't even remember if was a single penlight (1.5V) or if I used 2 (3V). An easy fix anyway
18th March 2012
Old 18th March 2012
Lives for gear

don't bother getting anything knobby for it -- it only accepts sysex as full patch dumps -- no real time programming at all. It's a bit obstruse to get around at first, but it really isn't to bad to program from the front panel. The voice setup is logical, and pretty much the same as an eps 16plus but only with rom sounds.

It's a rompler, but you can mess with the roms a lot more than most will allow, and then there are the transwaves. It has kinda cool drum kits in a way, and I recommend you figure out the mult timbral mode quick cause then you can easily jump around with different effects settings.

The sounds are different from what you'll get from most other synths really. Does kinda lush cold digital and murkey distant sounds well.

There is a free pc editor/librarian for it which makes things a lot easier, it says it's for the ks32, but works with the sq-r as well. Some googling and patience should lead you to it. I'd rather have one than an esi32 to be frank. good luck
nebelfrau
18th March 2012
Old 18th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegreengold View Post
don't bother getting anything knobby for it -- it only accepts sysex as full patch dumps -- no real time programming at all. It's a bit obstruse to get around at first, but it really isn't to bad to program from the front panel. The voice setup is logical, and pretty much the same as an eps 16plus but only with rom sounds.

It's a rompler, but you can mess with the roms a lot more than most will allow, and then there are the transwaves. It has kinda cool drum kits in a way, and I recommend you figure out the mult timbral mode quick cause then you can easily jump around with different effects settings.

The sounds are different from what you'll get from most other synths really. Does kinda lush cold digital and murkey distant sounds well.

There is a free pc editor/librarian for it which makes things a lot easier, it says it's for the ks32, but works with the sq-r as well. Some googling and patience should lead you to it. I'd rather have one than an esi32 to be frank. good luck
Ah, right on, you rock! I knew I was getting a ROMpler instead of straight up synth, but I wasn't sure if it was more synth or rompler. Also, I can use all those bits of stock sounds for other things as well, so they won't be entirely useless. I found the librarian software, and it took EXTREME patience haha! It's called KSEditor and the main site doesn't work and most mirror sites just lead to the main website Can't wait for the cold, murky distance! Also, I was getting the ESI-32 because I had been itching for a straight up sampler and wanted something new/different, I am normally an Akai/Roland sampler guy e.

Also, tip noted, synthdood. For ease, I'll just tape it to the front panel and then wing it from there.
18th March 2012
Old 18th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebelfrau View Post
Ah, right on, you rock! I knew I was getting a ROMpler instead of straight nup synth, but I wasn't sure if it was more synth or rompler. Also, I can use all those bits of stock sounds for other things as well, so they won't be entirely useless.
There are romplers and there are romplers. Probably better to consider the ensoniqs as wavetable synths whose wavetables are made of entire samples. You can start the playback at any point, set the loop back and forth and make crazy sounds. You can use an allwavs entire waverom scan. You can play the samples backwards looping, whatever. A lot more flexible than a korg or roland and the effects are great.

Everything you can do on it, you can do better with an eps16plus, but there is something nice about the rom set, a 1 unit rack, and instant on readyness.

If you haven't heard the larry heard album alien, track it down -- loads of sq goodness there.

also on a non synthesis tip, these guys like most ensoniqs have advanced midi functions that allow you to do keyboard splits of multiple different modules across one keyboard. So you can map all your synths/samplers onto one keymap. very useful.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search