Sell little phatty?
New Reply
Subscribe
bloodsample
16th March 2012
Old 16th March 2012
Lives for gear

Sell little phatty?

About to sell my little phatty for 900$.. will I regret it?

Thing is, I have too many analog monos (one of which is a voyager os) and something must go.

The choice to get rid of the phatty seems obvious, but there's something about the way it looks and sounds that is making me doubt myself.. am I crazy?

Someone make the decision for me, convince me to keep it or get rid of it?

Thanks, I knew I could count on you guys!

16th March 2012
Old 16th March 2012
Lives for gear

def if you have a voyager
16th March 2012
Old 16th March 2012
Gear addict

KEEP IT!!!! This is GEARSLUTZ! You must acquire synths not sell them!!!! and it's AWESOME!!!

then again, I'm sure the voyager covers that ground. Still, I'd keep it
16th March 2012
Old 16th March 2012
Goat of Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodsample View Post
About to sell my little phatty for 900$.. will I regret it?

Thing is, I have too many analog monos (one of which is a voyager os) and something must go.

The choice to get rid of the phatty seems obvious, but there's something about the way it looks and sounds that is making me doubt myself.. am I crazy?

Someone make the decision for me, convince me to keep it or get rid of it?

Thanks, I knew I could count on you guys!

No! Why? I love all of the stuff that you've done with the Phatty either directly or as an arpeggiator source. You won't get enough money to matter. You'll always be glad you kept it. Don't sell it!!!

How did I do?
16th March 2012
Old 16th March 2012
Lives for gear

Voyager doesn't totally cover Phatty territory either. If you do any raw overloaded phatty sounds, the phatty is the only synth that will get 'em...
16th March 2012
Old 16th March 2012
Lives for gear

So we're at:
Keep it: 3
Sell it: 1

Decisions, decisions...

The thing is I rarely use the filter overload anyways, I prefer a softer sound, so this feature isn't a deal breaker.

I don't know if it's just me but there's something more "70s" to the phatty sound than the voyager. It's probably just my crazy ears..

Anyone else want to chime in? Say anything, really.
16th March 2012
Old 16th March 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Funny you want to keep the LP for the same reason I could never like it, it always has this 'soft' never-open sound. Then again I prefer more aggressive monos.

If you use it regularly then keep it, otherwise it's not exactly difficult to get another one.
16th March 2012
Old 16th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lain2097 View Post
Funny you want to keep the LP for the same reason I could never like it, it always has this 'soft' never-open sound. If you use it regularly then keep it, otherwise it's not exactly difficult to get another one.
Same here. It got a lot of good usage for bass and the odd FX piece here and there. One I sold it though, I didn't really miss it. I was able to easily replace it with a few software instruments. For what I needed it for, it simply wasn't anything special and not worth the extra effort over a software instrument.

I think a lot of this also depends on the context in which you use it. I'm making modern progressive house, so that sound right now is really a "software" sound. However, when I would crank it up and play 80's-style leads/bass on it, or crank out a Rush riff on it, yeah, it did a pretty good job of getting that type of sound. So, it's all about the context in which you us it, I think.
16th March 2012
Old 16th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
So we're at:

Decisions, decisions...

The thing is I rarely use the filter overload anyways, I prefer a softer sound, so this feature isn't a deal breaker.

I don't know if it's just me but there's something more "70s" to the phatty sound than the voyager. It's probably just my crazy ears..

I have both two. I'm finding that the Voyager is a slower curve, learning-wise. It can do amazing things, but you have to push it a bit past its comfort zone if you know what I mean. People say it's not raw or edgy or that the filter doesn't open enough, etc, etc... I'm starting to think they haven't fiddled with it properly because although that's not its native territory I keep being surprised by what I can get out of it.

The Voyager covers a good deal of what the phatty can do, but not quite everything. Yes there's the overload, but also dropping the filter poles on the Phatty gives it a sound the voyager doesn't really do when its filter poles are dropped back. The phatty has a unique quality just in its basic sound. And I find it more accessible - it's hard to program a bad sound on the LP - as I said, making patches on the Voyager is more of a commitment.

In short, by getting rid of it, you're losing something the Voyager mostly covers but not entirely. If that remainder is not important to you, then the answer is lose it
16th March 2012
Old 16th March 2012
Lives for gear

the arp in the lp is cool, also i think some of the lfo noise destinations aren't in the voyager? i say keep it
16th March 2012
Old 16th March 2012
Gear addict

One more vote for keeping it.

I love mine and feel it is suited for creating wall shattering sub-basses and mid-range crunch sounds. Low-end/mid-range is its forte.
16th March 2012
Old 16th March 2012
Gear addict

Sell the phatty, I had one unit get totally bricked and second one was buggy as hell too. I really, really wanted to love it but it was just a nightmare. Locked up panel, menu params changing randomly, even japanese text coming up on the screen, odd shit. Mine was the slim not the lil phatty fwiw.

In very non-gs fashion imma say sell that thing! You have a voyager anyhow...

Something that needs finishing...
16th March 2012
Old 16th March 2012
Lives for gear

I think with a Voyager OS at your disposal that you could probably justify letting it go, sounds like the some of the key advantages of it over Voyager aren't really being used enough to merit a keep. I ended up selling my Voyager ages ago for an LP. Do what makes you more productive. Everything has gravity, and if it isn't working for you, it's only pulling you down.
16th March 2012
Old 16th March 2012
Lives for gear

I just sold my SP for $650 USD, but I hardly used it. It was a cool little synth, but not for the price to me (but I'm not a huge analog lover). I'm going to get Spectrasonic's Moog Tribute Library - that with Trillian and Diva will satisfy me more than enough.

So, sell it
16th March 2012
Old 16th March 2012
Lives for gear

SELL!
16th March 2012
Old 16th March 2012
Goat of Gear

I also own both. They're different. It's not as though the Phatty is a cheaper Voyager. They are designed to be different. To sound different.
16th March 2012
Old 16th March 2012
Lives for gear

The LP is great, but it is relatively easy to find one on the second hand market so I wouldn't stress over the decision too much. If you missed it you'd be able to buy another one for the same price as you sold yours.
16th March 2012
Old 16th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundxplorer View Post
The LP is great, but it is relatively easy to find one on the second hand market so I wouldn't stress over the decision too much. If you missed it you'd be able to buy another one for the same price as you sold yours.
Or, you can get a Slim Phatty now for about half the price! Better off too, cause I always hated the keyboard on my LP. Too stiff and he keys were too "boxy". ugh.
16th March 2012
Old 16th March 2012
Gear Head

I'm a little bit on the fence with my LP at the moment too because there's this new Micromac around the corner. But I know it's a fallacy.

Little Phatty is a complete and very expressive instrument. Micromac may sound better in some areas but it's still just a module and I don't even know whether I'd be able to play it expressively enough. Legato envelopes, legato portamento, I've got no idea if 'Mac allows it, need to drop Ken an email. I'm not sure Micromac really tops Little Phatty when you look at the big picture.

Then there's the price. I can get a whopping £650 for a pristine LP with black side panels. I'll keep the Moog and make some music with it.
16th March 2012
Old 16th March 2012
Gear nut

I sold my Voyager and kept my Little Phatty.

I prefer the basic tone of the LP and find it much more immediate and fun to use (despite having less knobs). The Voyager was unreliable, expensive to repair, and the extra routings were wasted on me. The I found the LP has more than enough sound possibilites for my purposes and I like the arpeggiator and overdrive.
16th March 2012
Old 16th March 2012
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusRaindrops View Post
I also own both. They're different. It's not as though the Phatty is a cheaper Voyager. They are designed to be different. To sound different.
This!
16th March 2012
Old 16th March 2012
Lives for gear

....or sell them both and get a prodigy and a source
16th March 2012
Old 16th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by taigareverie View Post
Little Phatty is a complete and very expressive instrument. Micromac may sound better in some areas but it's still just a module and I don't even know whether I'd be able to play it expressively enough. Legato envelopes, legato portamento, I've got no idea if 'Mac allows it, need to drop Ken an email.
If you mean the Micromac desktop with built-in MIDI, then yeah, the full extent of the MIDI features need a little clarification. But as for the basic module, it would all depend on your controller and/or external MIDI interface for those features. I've got a a Kenton Pro-Solo mkII which will do all of what you mentioned and more.
16th March 2012
Old 16th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
So we're at:

Decisions, decisions...

Then sell it. There are many, including the Voyager, that do sweet and softer kinds of sounds better. To me, the best thing about my Phatty is driving it hard. If it didn't have that I'd have returned it as my ATC-1 is way better for rounder, juicier kinds of sound. I love aggressive sounds though, so I like the Phatty. I'd have named it the Hardy, because it's better at harder sounds than phat sounds, but that's me.
17th March 2012
Old 17th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundxplorer View Post
If you mean the Micromac desktop with built-in MIDI, then yeah, the full extent of the MIDI features need a little clarification. But as for the basic module, it would all depend on your controller and/or external MIDI interface for those features. I've got a a Kenton Pro-Solo mkII which will do all of what you mentioned and more.
This. With CV you can pull off anything, and Kenton has an amazing variety of settings on the Pro Solo MKII. I'm getting A LOT of mileage out of it with the SEM patch-panel version.
17th March 2012
Old 17th March 2012
Gear maniac

The Little Phatty MAP just went up to $1399, something to ponder when you sell it maybe? I was pretty stuck on the LP/Minitaur/Moog sound until I discovered the Oberheim SEM synth. Boy .

So I guess it depends on what you plan to replace it with if this is simply about gear requisition/acquisition. If you are satisfied with all your monosynths, but could use a new sequencer, then maybe trading in the LP for a sweet sequencer would be worth it.

Edit: I just realized that I have watched most of your youtube videos, and have a pretty good idea of what stuff you have. You usually use the LP mainly for the arp it seems like? With the other stuff you have, I wouldn't hesitate to sell the LP to fund something sweet.
17th March 2012
Old 17th March 2012
Lives for gear

The Voyager is a beautiful instrument. Some have been dissatisfied with the sound, but the sounds it produces are what it is and they are rich and deep. But more importantly, the tangible, tactile elements (size, feel, and layout of the controls) make you want to play it and explore it and create with it. It has a permanent feel to it. My SH5 had that same magic going on in that way. The Little Phatty for me is fine, but menu diving is a pain. The Source has that also, but I'd take the sound of a Source over aLP any day of the week so the menu diving with a rotary encoder I could put up with. The Source is a very cool sounding synth. I have alsways wanted a model D but I will probably end uo with a Voyager instead. Perhaps not. So,,, I'd lose the Little Phatty, keep the Voyager and go with your intuition.
17th March 2012
Old 17th March 2012
Gear addict

I did and got a prodigy. Never looked back. Features wise prodigy is raped. But sound wise, no contest.
17th March 2012
Old 17th March 2012
Gear addict

I also have both. And I think they complement each other quite nicely.
Just saying...
17th March 2012
Old 17th March 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlshft
With CV you can pull off anything, and Kenton has an amazing variety of settings on the Pro Solo MKII. I'm getting A LOT of mileage out of it with the SEM patch-panel version.
This puts the position of Little Phatty in my setup under a massive question mark. Still, it's a great instrument.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search