That lovely snare !!
New Reply
Subscribe
dexum175
11th March 2012
Old 11th March 2012
Gear Head

That lovely snare !!

Hello GSlutz! Well just finished discovering a new track from french electro man KAVINSKY called "Nightcall" Jesus christ that snare! I have the last 2 hours trying to come close to that tight sounding snare an nothing! It sounds very punchy, full, clean, yet it's not acoustic(MAYBE LAYERED WITH ONE). Well check it out guys and if you have any tips on how I can make my snare sound close to that I'll appreciate it!! Brilliant track by the way you guys will enjoy!

Kavinsky - Nightcall (Drive Original Movie Soundtrack) - YouTube

Last edited by Reptil; 14th March 2012 at 12:08 AM.. Reason: please check the sticky how to embed youtubes!?
11th March 2012
Old 11th March 2012
Gear addict

retro beatbox
11th March 2012
Old 11th March 2012
Lives for gear

Find out what samples he's using and use the same ones. Or be different and come up with your own sound so some other guy can go "how did he do that?"
11th March 2012
Old 11th March 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by wado1942 View Post
Find out what samples he's using and use the same ones. Or be different and come up with your own sound so some other guy can go "how did he do that?"
dude, no sample will come close to that!, I've been producing for 3+ years and can't come close to the snare's Kavinsky, Justice, and all those french producers can make. I've sampled a few but it just doesn't happen. They have the secret formula to that snare man lol, and they're not sharing.
11th March 2012
Old 11th March 2012
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexum175 View Post
dude, no sample will come close to that!, I've been producing for 3+ years and can't come close to the snare's Kavinsky, Justice, and all those french producers can make. I've sampled a few but it just doesn't happen. They have the secret formula to that snare man lol, and they're not sharing.
3 whole years??...yup if you aren't at the top of your game by now, it's time to hang em up!!!!
dexum175
11th March 2012
Old 11th March 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBubba View Post
3 whole years??...yup if you aren't at the top of your game by now, it's time to hang em up!!!!
haha, I can make lethal sounds, but there's something I don't know! And still learning!
11th March 2012
Old 11th March 2012
Gear maniac

Sounds like there's a good amount of air/whitenoise that hits with the snare transient
11th March 2012
Old 11th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's obviously sample based. Even if he made his own samples, the sound came from somewhere and can be recreated. It may even be something as mundane as a TR-909 sample mixed with a more conventional snare sample.

At any rate, why would you want to sound like somebody else? There's enough of that in the music industry.
11th March 2012
Old 11th March 2012
Lives for gear

It sounds to me like there's a hi-hat sample layered in on top of the snare. You might try that.
12th March 2012
Old 12th March 2012
Banned

Quote:
haha, I can make lethal sounds, but there's something I don't know! And still learning!
Probably more like a LOT.
12th March 2012
Old 12th March 2012
Banned

You guys should also consider that there is probably a few stages of compression/enveloping/limiting happening...not just about the sample
12th March 2012
Old 12th March 2012
Lives for gear

I'd be willing to bet they are running a white noise generator on an Aux track with a side chained gate from the snare to open it. Fiddle with the attack/release and add some eq on the white noise - voila'.
12th March 2012
Old 12th March 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Just the good (s together) sound (s), Hip hop snare style on electro track, a few hit hat or something else in top end but I think it was in the sample at start, a good EQ with good low mid bumpy, a short plate or room verb, little bit of distortion and the last but not least a good compression with good transients and pretty short release to let HUM low mid living.

It's not a cooking book, sometimes you have to make all these things, sometimes just one of it...

Lot of time it's not a snare but 2 or 3 or 4 snares together with lots of EQ on each and a snare bus EQ and compression.

Try the transient designer to.

Listen to Sebastian songs, he has tons of snare like that.

Trust it... I'm french
12th March 2012
Old 12th March 2012
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCruiser View Post
I'd be willing to bet they are running a white noise generator on an Aux track with a side chained gate from the snare to open it. Fiddle with the attack/release and add some eq on the white noise - voila'.
voila?

how to get a killer snare sound you say?...just run some white noise?...just get a good sample? layer? eq?...low mid hump?

I'm thinking that someone could make a mint writing a book about nothing else...

You aren;t gonna find he key to this riddle here...we are all chasing that Dragon's Tail all of us always...some know how to get there quicker...others like me, go round in circles till a light goes off...or doesn't

The key to this riddle is not here..
12th March 2012
Old 12th March 2012
Lives for gear

sounds like its in the drumulator, sp12, DMX territory, start looking there.
dexum175
12th March 2012
Old 12th March 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
You guys should also consider that there is probably a few stages of compression/enveloping/limiting happening...not just about the sample
Yes, it's not the sample, it's the compression!
12th March 2012
Old 12th March 2012
Lives for gear

It's sounds like any standard 80s sample based drum maskin (707, 626, 505) layered with a real snare sample. Plus some effects. It don't understand the problem since I don't hear anything out of the ordinary.
12th March 2012
Old 12th March 2012
Gear maniac

just use the sample if you can't recreate it

there is no secret in this one - just a common 80s pop snare.
Attached Files
File Type: wav Kavinsky Nightcall Snare.wav (55.4 KB, 953 views)
12th March 2012
Old 12th March 2012
Lives for gear

I hate to be cynical but I find it funny so many people complain about electronic music not being as good nowadays, and yet so much time and energy is invested by some trying to create "perfect" kick drums and snares and hi-hats instead of giving that time to more relevant things like arrangement, composition, taking your synthesis chops to that next level or actually developing your sound. I just felt like putting this out there given the large amount of threads focusing on hi-hats, snares and kicks .
12th March 2012
Old 12th March 2012
Gear addict

For those who aren't aware, this cut was produced by Guy-Man of Daft Punk and mixed by SebastiAn. It's got the best of the best behind it.
12th March 2012
Old 12th March 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

it's not the samples, it's the processing/mixing
13th March 2012
Old 13th March 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
The secret formula is called 'layering'.

Pendulum, Noisia, Current Value make better drums than the French Producers imo.
13th March 2012
Old 13th March 2012
Lives for gear

white noise and proper compression. and layering. and compressing layers in a bus....and some distortion. slight reverb. i duno. just naming off effects.

Techno

https://soundcloud.com/dj-dimi-h/birchbrook-11-25-13v4
https://soundcloud.com/dj-dimi-h/darky-vox-and-drum
https://soundcloud.com/dj-dimi-h/ohyeah-6-14-2013-comp

"I never try to please others when I make music; there is only one person who has to like what comes out of those speakers, and that person is myself." -Eric Prydz
13th March 2012
Old 13th March 2012
Gear addict

I am more interested in the vocoder/talkbox. Anyone have any info on that?
13th March 2012
Old 13th March 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Lol..

Sent from my HTC Desire
dexum175
14th March 2012
Old 14th March 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecdnb View Post
The secret formula is called 'layering'.

Pendulum, Noisia, Current Value make better drums than the French Producers imo.
I will agree with you there, but the only guys to come close to that snare is Nero in their track 'My Eyes', Noisia might have the best sounding drums in the WHOLE WORLD lol, but this '80s drum is ****ing brutal. I don't know if you guys hear what I hear in that snare tho...
14th March 2012
Old 14th March 2012
Lives for gear

whats for sure is you're on a mega late pass.. nightcall came out 2 years ago, it made some noise again 8 months ago in the drive soundtrack... anyways as others mentioned track was produced by guy-man and mixed by sebastian, arguably the kings of drum machines and compression, don't expect to crack their technique anytime soon
14th March 2012
Old 14th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmicide View Post
it's not the samples, it's the processing/mixing
yes, the proper compression is the most important part to getting the snare characteristcs you want, as well as the other proccessing / EQ, but CERTAINLY the samples have a good bit to do with it as well.
14th March 2012
Old 14th March 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrok Rolles View Post
yes, the proper compression is the most important part to getting the snare characteristcs you want, as well as the other proccessing / EQ, but CERTAINLY the samples have a good bit to do with it as well.
yeah definitely, I meant that samples alone wont really get you there

I find layering, EQing, envelope shaping, etc to be very important
14th March 2012
Old 14th March 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_McEnroe View Post
I am more interested in the vocoder/talkbox. Anyone have any info on that?
Sounds like white noise mixed with oscillator.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search