Login / Register

Andromeda A6 users, how many are we?
View Poll Results: are you an A6 Andromeda synth USER?
Yes, I am.
124 Votes - 90.51%
Yes, I am
13 Votes - 9.49%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

New Reply
Subscribe
Deleted User
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Deleted User

Andromeda A6 users, how many are we?

LATEST UPDATE, FRIDAY 9TH MARCH, A.M.

Very well A6ers, here is the idea. I agree that it's better to lay it down already, and see where it leads us to.

If you don't like it, I beg you to spare the guy with the initiative!

The details and further suggestions are being discussed in the A6 mailing list (here a6 Info Page).
I am happy to report only surprising enthusiasm and positiveness so far over there, and we are already on our way.

Hope to have your support and set a good precedent together.

Here it is:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted User via email on the a6 mailing list
OK, guys.

I guess to expedite and to not hold your breaths longer than necessary and risk putting your expectations too high, maybe I will just unveil the idea now.

The objective is this: to get a professional developer to create the a6 librarian/editor our synth deserves> standalone, Mac/W-compatible, including all functions considered standard in pro librarian/editor (as much as the a6’s MIDI implementation permits).

My approach to make it happen is this: Basically, the idea came from observing the same question over and over in different forums and communities: where can I get a pro A6 editor/librarian? In digging more, I saw many attempts have been made and usually those were medium to very low quality results compared to what a synth such as the a6 deserves.

So I thought: how come we don’t have a professional one? From my findings in talking directly to some developers, I realized they were hesitant from the low direct requests AND because when they were proactively interested, the a6 was simply NOT ready for it (remember how the MIDI implementation was one of the major shortcomings of the initial OSs?) Long story short, I have been in talks with a couple of pro reputable developers, and they showed genuine initial interest when I told them that we could gather at least 100 interested licensees for version 1. Let’s be realistic, who would want to take the risk to develop such product for a discontinued hw synth just like that?

So my idea to approach this obstacle is: that we create together a win-win situation both for us (getting the pro editor-librarian that we want and need) and for them (securing a minimally juicy initial user base of 100 users and the rights over the sw for future maintenance and marketing, etc.) Thus, this is not a for-profit initiative for us (especially not for me for the sake of honesty), we just want a GREAT librarian at the very least… and so I took the initiative to talk to devs and to rally for your attention, which is why we are talking about this now . I know there may be better ways and what not, but without initiative and driven will there is nothing really, and we all know there was indeed nothing going on for our a6 since the dismal product discontinuation was announced.

Finally for now, in talking to these developers, they think my suggestion to rally for a committed and guaranteed initial user base of at least 100 licensees so that they see the project is financially feasible IS A GOOD ONE and I have their initial interest, and so it’s up to us to show unity and genuine, honest interest for this project.

So, before we go any further, I would like to ask you directly 2 things for which an answer would be very appreciated:
  1. Would you like to see a professional librarian or editor or both as much as I would?
  2. Would you be willing to help me rally for the initial 100 licensees target AND be one of them, which already is sweet sounding to the ears of potential devs?

If my idea seems stupid to you, I apologize (please spare the guy with the initiative!!) However, I assure you it has been well received by potential pro devs and I truly think the 100 licensee target could be easily attainable if we pull together.

I am one of those willing to even provide the funds for 3 licenses myself for the sake of seeing this positive project taking off the ground. Of course, I never agreed to pay for the full license in advance in my proposal to them. My thought was that they could get inspired even with a 50% down payment just to show our seriousness, which should be more than enough, and we can even negotiate this further with WHOEVER developer we all want to work with for this project, once we start laying down the options.

For now, let me know your responses to those 2 questions guys, and thanks much for your attention and patience. Hope this was not uberlong email, I tried to be as concise and informative as possible.

Ivan.

UPDATE, THURSDAY 8 MARCH, P.M.

OK, we now have the initial target number of users here, which is great.

You will all be informed tomorrow night US Eastern time of what the idea is about BASICALLY.

However, the main discussion as to how we will make it happen will take place over at the A6 mailing list here: a6 Info Page

Those who want to participate in the decision making process can join the mailing list here: a6 Info Page

Based on the fb I did receive by potential developers, I believe in advance the idea will be well received by the vast majority of users, but as with any initiative, it will face strong opposition even if no other initiative is in place. We humans are like that.

We will strive however to go through a transparent democratic process. Anyone wanting to participate in the process, simply subscribe to the list... who knows, maybe make new friends and get to know fellow A6 users.

Everything is possible. Everything.

If you are a common-goal-, greater-good, results-oriented person we NEED YOU here: a6 Info Page

see ya'll there tomorrow, and thanks for your initial interest and patience.

!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OP
I am planning some business proposal for the benefit of users of this synth, but I need to know how many we are and see if it's worth it.

Just add yourselves to the poll so a number is reflected.
Please bump the thread from time to time for visibility to more users.

Mods, no, this is not for personal benefit or personal business other than the benefit any other user of the synth would get if this takes off. Please understand I can't discuss the details right now, because if we are not really enough users, then the idea will not work, and so it would be a waste of time to even bother to explain at this point. Counting how many we are won't hurt anyway.
LATEST UPDATE Thursday March 8, A.M.:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted User
Hey all A6ers!

I have gotten lots of responses elsewhere as well!

I have not gotten many recommendations as to the best communication system to guarantee that ALL users from GS, Vintage Synth, Electro-music, etc. receive the proposal in one go if only for practical purposes.

I believe in honesty and transparency and have zero tolerance for ill opportunism, as such I always try my best to make decisions based on the fairest manner possible and considering the greater common good at all times... THUS I am leaning towards the decision to lay down my proposal for you using the already existing A6 mailing list.
  • While I am personally relatively new to the list, this group has been in existence since at least june 2002.
  • Many of you are already members of that list.
  • Many of the greatest A6 synth culture and technical contributors have been in that list for a long time, including the creators of that list and the creators of great patches and documentations.
  • It's better that we gather in one central place for further discussion on the project.
  • Personally, I have NEVER observed any undesirable behaviors in that list. Members of that list are usually kind and no misuse has been reported to my knowledge.
  • It's email based.
  • It's not a bad thing at all such a list gets a new infusion of members.

I think this is the fairest decision I can make. As you know, no massive PMing is allowed in gearslutz.com. It would be a TOTAL PAIN to write PMs in sets of 5 by 5... not happening. Sorry in advance. I also don't want to act as an agent and give preference to any forum and force fellow users to anything that would seem questionable as to my integrity and ethics.

So, unless there is a powerful reason or objection any of you want to communicate ASAP, please go ahead and add yourselves to the list here:

a6 Info Page

Please do subscribe NOW and remind your fellow users to do that asap as we continue to grow as a user group. Maybe send an email to the list to introduce yourselves and confirm membership.

Please do consider that regardless of my project, being all together in one place IS a good thing as a community of users of our beloved A6.

PS: I will spam this thread with this very same post a few times to raise notice.

Hail to the A6 I say!!

PREVIOUS UPDATE FROM QUESTIONS BELOW:
Quote:
I will only guaratee you (reiterate) now that my idea is not any business I am running for my benefit or will run personally in any way nor it will benefit me individually/financially in any way whatsoever.

I just need to know if the number of users around is enough for the idea to be feasible financially, so that I can bring it up to all the appropriate parties. As you may understand, I would not be comfortable WASTING ammo nor wasting anyone's time (more than "yes, I am an a6 user"; no harm in that) if the idea is not feasible.

No VSTs, no sounds banks for sale. You have my word on this publicly.

Please be patient, I will certainly disclose publicly if and when the required "ingredients" are/can be put together. There's no harm in counting anyway, plus this is probably a way for A6 slutz to know each other as well... maybe you guys can come up with some ideas as well when we realize how many we are. We could even create the "A6 club" or something.
PREVIOUS UPDATE ON QUESTIONS BELOW:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundwave106 View Post
but I'm not necessarily interested in any A6 product unless it has something I am looking for.
That's implicitly understood. Worry not.
No harm in counting users.
I won't go public with my idea NOR my contacts if I don't see I have all the ingredients. Don't want to waste ammo. Hope this makes sense.
The people complaining are free to not be counted in to hear the idea, this is obvious as well. Just don't cast your vote, so I don't PM you about it.

Thanks all.

Deleted User
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Deleted User

oh, and I forgot> heil to the A6!!
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Lives for gear

what is your idea? im a user
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Lives for gear

I have an A6 but I am a little mystified about how some random collection of "yes I have an A6" responses is going to forward your business plan. I will tell you that if you are going to do a VST editor for the A6 I am in favor of it and would be willing to spend money on that. If you are trying to develop a patch library to sell then count me out. I roll my own.
Deleted User
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Deleted User

I will only guaratee you (reiterate) now that my idea is not any business I am running for my benefit or will run personally in any way nor it will benefit me individually/financially in any way whatsoever.

I just need to know if the number of users around is enough for the idea to be feasible financially, so that I can bring it up to all the appropriate parties. As you may understand, I would not be comfortable WASTING ammo nor wasting anyone's time (more than "yes, I am an a6 user"; no harm in that) if the idea is not feasible.

No VSTs, no sounds banks for sale. You have my word on this publicly.

Please be patient, I will certainly disclose publicly if and when the required "ingredients" are/can be put together. There's no harm in counting anyway, plus this is probably a way for A6 slutz to know each other as well... maybe you guys can come up with some ideas as well when we realize how many we are. We could even create the "A6 club" or something.
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Vintage Synth Dealer

me have a6.
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Lives for gear

I've got a couple A6s... PolyAT would be nice (Alesis never got around to it)...
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Lives for gear

Andromeda UBER ALLES!
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Gear maniac

one a6 here...
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Lives for gear

Sold mine but would buy one if Alesis made a newer version... I would take 12 voices, 4 outputs and an updated GUI and FX section for $2500 all day.
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Gear nut

Andy +1
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Gear maniac

2x Andromeda here ...
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Lives for gear

Upgrade the OS and the people will come

6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie H View Post
Upgrade the OS and the people will come

If that is what this guy is planning, I am IN!
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougt View Post
I've got a couple A6s... PolyAT would be nice (Alesis never got around to it)...
Only one A6 here (dougt is a bigger slutz than I'll ever be) but +1*10^6 on the polyAT. Numark (not Alesis) never continued any further A6 development of any kind.
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Lives for gear

didn't someone on this board post some kind of method for getting poly AT on the A6 using a controller somehow using something called Midi4 or something like that?

i seem to remember the thread closer to when I first joined
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Gear Head

Send a message via ICQ to lecafard Send a message via MSN to lecafard Send a message via Yahoo to lecafard
One A6 here!
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Gear addict

If you're thinking of buying the Andromeda OS code, I'm in, I'm a developer too, so I might be able to help, of course, maybe I'm dreaming...
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Gear addict

Used it yesterday!
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Lives for gear

ola Gregor

i'm in.
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Gear addict

I voted yes to the second option since I was feeling left out and wanted to participate in your poll even though I don't own an andromeda.
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
didn't someone on this board post some kind of method for getting poly AT on the A6 using a controller somehow using something called Midi4 or something like that?

This site has a ton of cool stuff for A6 sound design if you are not otherwise aware of it:

A6TipsAndTricks
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Gear maniac

I have a red andy :D
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:

Oh Yeah I Did

It doesn't use MIDI polyAT, the trick was to use monoAT with a separate MIDI channel per note. More cumbersome than polyAT.
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Gear maniac

I own one as well with one of the blue prototype panels.
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider View Post
I own one as well with one of the blue prototype panels.
SLUTZ!
7th March 2012
Old 7th March 2012
Lives for gear

I am an owner.

If the arpeggiator can be set to send midi...that would be superriffic!

Powerman has spoken!
7th March 2012
Old 7th March 2012
Gear addict

My dream feature would be to use the individual voice outputs as assignable CV and Gate outputs.
7th March 2012
Old 7th March 2012
Gear nut

I had an A6, sold it last year for more than I paid for it. If it had responded to PolyAT like it was supposed to, I probably would have never sold it. Count me in for an 8-voice module with upgraded and bug-fixed OS, but I will not hold my breath waiting for it.
7th March 2012
Old 7th March 2012
Gear Head

Own it, love it.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search