Login / Register

So it's 2012 already. Anyone using led lighted umbrellas?
New Reply
Subscribe
AnalogGuy
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via MSN to AnalogGuy Send a message via Skype™ to AnalogGuy
So it's 2012 already. Anyone using led lighted umbrellas?

For those who don't have an idea about this, I am talking about the Blade Runner fetish

"I'm totally opposed to all these expensive bullshit computers (sequencers). They can do whatever you want but not in the time you want. People have lost the essence of time. One said to me: "With this new computer I can create something in one or two minutes". This is an eternity. I can do that in a split second. But the split second doesn't come into account because the previous computer could do it in 10 minutes - so for them, 10 minutes to two minutes is really great progress!" - Vangelis
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Lives for gear

Fluorescent tubes would be more appropriate, though leds are easier to implement.

Being in the gfx industry I can't wait for the image zooming abilities showcased in the movie to become widely available.

It's cool to live in the scifi world, though less glamorous. Still, there are gadgets no-one could even dream about back when these classic movies were made.
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Lives for gear

Doesn't seem practical in use. Holding an omni-directional light near your face makes it harder to see in the dark.
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Lives for gear

Read an interview with William Gibson where he points out something interesting.... look at all of the cutting-edge futurism of the cyberpunk era. Know what none of 'em saw coming? CELL PHONES. weird, huh?

Anyway, go to Burning Man and you'll see plenty of lighted umbrellas and more fashion statements from Los Angeles 2019...
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012

+100 bazillion on the cyberpunk/Blade Runner reference.
I think this thread can stay in this forum; it IS mostly electronic innit

IMO a LOT of things thought of both by both Gibson and Philip K. Dick are rapidly coming to fruitition.
here's a couple of things:

http://www.shadowlocked.com/20110803...-syd-mead.html

there' another cool interview, but I can't seem to find it right now... hhmmmm

anyway, a Tachikoma, that's what I need. With a rocket launcher. hhmmm yesss

for sale EURORACK MODULAR CASE

5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoaT View Post
Fluorescent tubes would be more appropriate, though leds are easier to implement.

Being in the gfx industry I can't wait for the image zooming abilities showcased in the movie to become widely available.

It's cool to live in the scifi world, though less glamorous. Still, there are gadgets no-one could even dream about back when these classic movies were made.
Ridley Scott has such a good eye for design and he had some really good people working for him on that movie and also Alien. I forget the futurist guy's name on Blade Runner. Prometeus is going to be incredible.

I am not a huge Apple/Steve Jobs person but that first MacIntosh commercial Ridley did, that was only run once during the Super Bowl, was pretty incredible.

In music - the best videos have to be the Rammstein vids. Great little movies especially Ich Will. Any fans here of Flake?
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Allons-y

Quote:
Originally Posted by controlvoltage View Post
Read an interview with William Gibson where he points out something interesting.... look at all of the cutting-edge futurism of the cyberpunk era. Know what none of 'em saw coming? CELL PHONES. weird, huh?

Anyway, go to Burning Man and you'll see plenty of lighted umbrellas and more fashion statements from Los Angeles 2019...
yeah but in a way mobile phones were already a reality before Neuromancer was published..
They were just very very expensive
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by globularballoon View Post
my jaw just hit the desk. MUST HAVE
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundxplorer View Post
Doesn't seem practical in use. Holding an omni-directional light near your face makes it harder to see in the dark.
true, but I really don't care!
Quote:
Maybe not. The storylines are all very logical. No one could've foreseen we would hold minitiature microwaves next to our brain en masse, just to tell everyone where we are, and that we're bored.

Last edited by Reptil; 5th March 2012 at 05:33 PM.. Reason: removed link ;-)
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:

AnalogGuy
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsmorning View Post
And another unrelated thread that has nothing to do with music or instruments getting the OK from a mod cuz he fancies that subject matter. *rolls eyes*

Okay, so it's relevant now?

If not, I shall post some cover versions!
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Lives for gear

5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
ValhallaDSP

I wonder if LEDs would have less of a negative sonic impact on the sound of a room, versus florescent bulbs. I tried getting all eco-friendly and replacing the lightbulbs in my recording space with florescent bulbs, but the amount of hum that got introduced through the crappy wiring in that room was stunning. Less obvious with synths, very obvious with guitar.

Florescent tubes were a great low budget way of creating futuristic props about 30 years ago:

Plugins: http://www.valhalladsp.com
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Lives for gear

5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Lives for gear

5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Lives for gear

5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Lives for gear

5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Lives for gear

slightly OT : the original novel "Do Androids Dream of..." ect doesnt have much to do with the movie
its very different and the movie is what killed Dick, in the end, imho
He died shortly after he's seen the release version before it was shown public

The novel is about an artificial religion people relate to with VR boxes, and about exsistance in general
the movie is great and it's about exsistance in general too in the very end, but it's a very different story

Dick wasnt a friend of the 80ties and the movie is all 80ties,thats even what he wrote in the letter
above
I say it killed him
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
No one could've foreseen we would hold minitiature microwaves next to our brain en masse, just to tell everyone where we are, and that we're bored.
That, Sir, is sigworthy.
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by memristor View Post
slightly OT : the original novel "Do Androids Dream of..." ect doesnt have much to do with the movie
its very different and the movie is what killed Dick, in the end, imho
He died shortly after he's seen the release version before it was shown public

The novel is about an artificial religion people relate to with VR boxes, and about exsistance in general
the movie is great and it's about exsistance in general too in the very end, but it's a very different story

Dick wasnt a friend of the 80ties and the movie is all 80ties,thats even what he wrote in the letter
above
I say it killed him
He was a kind of troubled guy and a rebel. Watch the making of Blade Runner on youtube it is about 5 segments. LA/Hollywood for a writer back in his day and probably at anytime is not a party unless you are a big success. He supposedly wrote flat out to pay the bills. One guy say he took speed to try to stay awake to keep writing. The guy thought his prolonged use of speed/uppers caused his paranoia.

I would also add that prolonged exposure to Hollywood and the studios and movie people would cause major paranoia to just about anyone.

I think the two guys who wrote Alien felt the exec producers ripped them off. They essentially made minor changes and slapped their name on as the writers. So Philip Dick probably had reason to be paranoid.

Phillip really was not onboard with Blade Runner at first. When he finally saw preview shots of the imagery before the film was done he was amazed. He told the guy doing the screening who was a spec effects guy - "how is this possible that you were able to see the images in my mind and put them on screen." They put together this screening just for Phillip.
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Gear maniac

He did more than being able to predict cell phones though, to quote him “There will come a time when it isn't 'They're spying on me through my phone' anymore. Eventually, it will be 'My phone is spying on me.”
Which will be true in the coming future! One of my favourite writers of all time. I have been reading hime since I am 12, I am over 30 now, and I keep reading him, he wrote more than 40 books and 100 short stories mind you.
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Telling it like it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franc View Post
I forget the futurist guy's name on Blade Runner.
Syd Mead, my friend! That guy is a genius and really responsible for the look of Blade Runner.

Regards,
Frank

www.frankperri.com

Never listen to opinions regarding gear. For every 50 nobodies on Gearslutz that say a piece of gear doesn't sound good enough to cut it, I know at least one somebody who is cutting it in NYC with that piece of gear.

www.diehipster.com
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Are you kidding me? Why should I buy such things, when the world is going to end anyway this year *muahahaha*

stardustmedia - murat
high end analog music production
stay tuned thru my facebook fanpage: stardustmedia
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Lives for gear

LOL , brilliant post ! i was wondering what this was all about I remembered seeing Blade runner as kid in the theaters back when it came out . I think this laid the foundation for me playing Gamma World (Sci fi Dungeons and Dragons) which then led me into the whole electronica/industrial music scene . Nitzer Ebb , Ministry, skinny Puppy , and of course NIN
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Telling it like it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARIEL View Post
I think this laid the foundation for me playing Gamma World
God, I haven't heard of Gamma World since I was about 12 or so! I still have some old Gamma World modules in my closet.

I remember seeing Blade Runner as well in the theater and being completely scared senseless at the end with Rutger Hauer and all his screaming/howling. That was intensely creepy on the big screen to an 8 year old!

Reagards,
Frank
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Lives for gear

Hmmm. Wasn't the movie set in 2019?

Just a tad premature?

Though it's always nice to bring up the BR soundtrack...
AnalogGuy
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by the donal View Post
Hmmm. Wasn't the movie set in 2019?

Just a tad premature?

Though it's always nice to bring up the BR soundtrack...
I know... I was only mentioning that it's almost there and those umbrellas were manufactured already.

To keep this thread interesting, I decided to leak!

I don't know if this will be approved by moderator. If not, then... download quickly!!!

Last edited by Reptil; 7th March 2012 at 12:27 AM.. Reason: removed
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search