Vermona performer 2 - Spectralis2
New Reply
Subscribe
MrBoxxed
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Gear maniac

Vermona performer 2 - Spectralis2

I'm looking for a new bit of kit. Some feedback would be nice as I can't test the gear in a local store. I'd just choose and order!

I have a spectralis2. I'm selling a Tetra (don't like the interface). I want to replace the tetra with something that has direct editing on the go.

Vermona 2 - sounds awesome, looks awesome perhaps a bit big. Great control interface. Can't same patches or presets. Not sure if it would sync with the spectralis... No sequencer...
It's the right kinda sound for me I think.

Opinions/options. Dose hay one have these running?
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBoxxed View Post
I'm looking for a new bit of kit. Some feedback would be nice as I can't test the gear in a local store. I'd just choose and order!

I have a spectralis2. I'm selling a Tetra (don't like the interface). I want to replace the tetra with something that has direct editing on the go.

Vermona 2 - sounds awesome, looks awesome perhaps a bit big. Great control interface. Can't same patches or presets. Not sure if it would sync with the spectralis... No sequencer...
It's the right kinda sound for me I think.

Opinions/options. Dose hay one have these running?

I'd go a poly evolver, great control surface, great sound analog and digital.

It would be the tetra with a usable knob interface
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Lives for gear

if i were you, i would hold on and wait for the new MacBeth MicroMac!
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Gear addict

Or get a Tempest... I sold my Tetra for the exact same reason (only analog synth I have ever sold). I did like the DSI sound though and just got the Tempest and it's quickly become my favorite synth!
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Gear addict

Telemark is another contender ...excellent synth priced nicely .. semi modular, has its own sound/vibe ..
MrBoxxed
4th March 2012
Old 4th March 2012
Gear maniac

Cool, thanks for additional ideas.
Mmmm... Macbeth
I was considering the poly evolver, but alot of folks have said they play up and are not reliable. Also considering an MBF Karftzwerg, still keen on the Vermona perfourmer MK2 anyone using one with other gear?
4th March 2012
Old 4th March 2012
Lives for gear

I've tried to fish for opinions on the Perfourmer mk2 here before, but no luck. There was a thread or two about it (do a search) but no one had actually owned one or played one.
4th March 2012
Old 4th March 2012
Gear addict

I believe the Perfourmer MK2 is basically 4 Mono Lancets, with some extra patchability. I tried the Mono Lancet and thought it sounded great, very thick and syrupy with great build quality and knobs. The Perfourmer seems like a worthy contender to the Oberheim SOFV (and less expensive). Also, not many people own it so if you get one you'll feel special :P
4th March 2012
Old 4th March 2012
Lives for gear

i am using mono lancet for about a year now and it's great, lush, warm bubbly resonance, only thing that bugs me now is that the cut off pot is scratchy again, i am saving for SEM module, to combine it with lancet, think that could work out nicely...
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Gear interested

I understand the need for some more perfourmer mk2 reviews. I really wanna pull the trigger based on the specs but I feel like the audio demos I've seen barely scratch the surface. I also have this uncanny feeling based on demos that the mono lancet sounds bigger, especially at bass, but it shouldn't since their lfo has the same specs?!?!!? Anyone else comparing mono lancet and perfourmer this way?
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil missFlag View Post
I believe the Perfourmer MK2 is basically 4 Mono Lancets, with some extra patchability...
No, not really.
The mono lancet has 2 oscilators. So if the perfourmer was 4 mono lancets - it would have 8 oscilators, which is not the case.
Also, the mono lancet doesn't have hard sync and fm.
So the perfourmer isn't just the sum of four mono lancets.

I myself am selling some stuff in order to get some kind of interesting poly to complement my future to be GRP A4, and the current contenders are the Perfourmer mkii or the dsi Tempest.
The tempest of course is a drum machine that doubles as a 6 voice poly. I think that the dsi sound is only "nice". Not more than that. That is why i had no trouble selling my Polyevolver to help finance the GRP. No regrets. But it has the drum machine side to it, and i don't have a hardware drum machine.
On the other hand, i'm more impressed with the perfourmer's basic sound (though a bit complicated to use as a poly). But of course the perfourmer doesn't double as a drum machine.
So there you have it. Another dillema...
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahush76 View Post
No, not really.
The mono lancet has 2 oscilators. So if the perfourmer was 4 mono lancets - it would have 8 oscilators, which is not the case.
Also, the mono lancet doesn't have hard sync and fm.
So the perfourmer isn't just the sum of four mono lancets.
My mistake then - or actually, the mistake of the guy at the local store who told me it's 4 mono lancets. Is it only 1 osc each?
Anyway, I wouldn't get it as a poly. Tweaking every voice individually would probably get tiring quicky, and I don't think you can sweep all the filters at once manually (no master programmer like the SOFV).
Also, only 4 voices - not great for pad sounds.
7th March 2012
Old 7th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
and I don't think you can sweep all the filters at once manually (no master programmer like the SOFV).
You're right about that, though there could be a workaround. If you add the filter lancet or the retroverb lancet (which includes the filter lancet) and put the perfourmer thru the retroverb's input than you can use it as a global filter and a global adsr over all 4 voices.
Besides, adding the filter\retroverb lancet will add high pass and bandpass to the sound posibillities.

edit:
I went over the manual and noticed there are several ways of effecting parameters globaly. For example, with the mod wheel you can apply PWM to all oscilators simultaniously. With aftertouch you can affect the VCF globaly for all four voices. It's not the equivelent of turning a knob, but it's something.

I think the Tempest is a more "practical" device to buy, but i'm loving the Vermona sound more and more. I'm hearing demos of the new mkii - but also of the older version which is less sophisticated, but has the same osc-filter basic sound and it's delicious.
I just might go the "un-practical" route.

Last edited by zahush76; 7th March 2012 at 12:31 PM.. Reason: noticed new info while reading the pdf manual
9th March 2012
Old 9th March 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
You're right about that, though there could be a workaround. If you add the filter lancet or the retroverb lancet (which includes the filter lancet) and put the perfourmer thru the retroverb's input than you can use it as a global filter and a global adsr over all 4 voices.
Besides, adding the filter\retroverb lancet will add high pass and bandpass to the sound posibillities.
For mono sounds that could work, but as a 4 voice poly it would sound drastically different from 4 individual filters, each with seperate resonance emphasizing different harmonics. Especially if the envelopes/lfos are also affecting the VCF. Though maybe if you can assign aftertouch to global filter cutoff you can map it to a knob somehow.
9th March 2012
Old 9th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
For mono sounds that could work, but as a 4 voice poly it would sound drastically different from 4 individual filters, each with seperate resonance emphasizing different harmonics. Especially if the envelopes/lfos are also affecting the VCF. Though maybe if you can assign aftertouch to global filter cutoff you can map it to a knob somehow.
I meant something else. If i put the perfourmer into a retroverb lancet, while i set each of the four voices with the cutoff completely open, and all the rest with identical settings - than the retroverb's filter, adsr and lfo controls the perfourmer's sound instead the perfourmer. You make all changes from the retroverb. The only thing you would lose is the stereo, since the retroverb has only mono in\out.

After reading the complete manual i understood there another option - though not for live playing. The aftertouch affects the vcf thru a cc midi command. It says you can do stuff like automation (let's say from cubase) and control all the vcf's at the same time in the same way (or differently, if you set each voice to a different channel).
9th March 2012
Old 9th March 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
I meant something else. If i put the perfourmer into a retroverb lancet, while i set each of the four voices with the cutoff completely open, and all the rest with identical settings - than the retroverb's filter, adsr and lfo controls the perfourmer's sound instead the perfourmer. You make all changes from the retroverb. The only thing you would lose is the stereo, since the retroverb has only mono in\out.
I still don't see how that would work. You get one envelope with the retroverb, and even if you use the envelope follower or trigger it with a gate from the Perfourmer, you'd still need 4 seperate envelopes for a 4 voice poly sound. Unless you're playing chords where the 4 voices are always playing at the same time. It would still sound funny, because sweeping 1 filter for 4 voices sounds different than sweeping 4 filters at the same time, each for a different note. It would basically sound like a paraphonic synth, not polyphonic.

Quote:
After reading the complete manual i understood there another option - though not for live playing. The aftertouch affects the vcf thru a cc midi command. It says you can do stuff like automation (let's say from cubase) and control all the vcf's at the same time in the same way (or differently, if you set each voice to a different channel).
This makes sense. I'm pretty sure you can assign the aftertouch midi cc to a knob on a midi controller and control all the filters at once. You could do this live as well, though you might get some stepping and it definitely wouldn't sound as smooth as analog control.
Which reminds me, does the perfourmer have CV inputs for every filter? If so maybe a Moog CP-251 could do the job.
9th March 2012
Old 9th March 2012
Lives for gear

I fail to see what's the problem. It's the same as if i would take the perfourmer's audio out and put it thru a phaser that will affect equally the whole output.
We're talking here about how can you play the perfourmer poliphonically, and yet filter all four voices at the same time.
So if you take the perfourmer's audio out and put it thru some kind of filter (even the filter moogerfooger) - and you make sure each voice is set the same (same waveshape for all four voices, all four filters wide open, no resonance on all four, and the same vca envelope setting on all four voices) than why should there be a problem? The perfourmer into the lancet will be just like when you put an external audio thru your synth's ext in, and use the filter, eg's, lfo etc.
That is if you wanna use it as close as possible to a "normal" polysynth.

But the more i listen to the demos , the more i'm interested in it as an uber monosynth with four oscilators, four filters, four lfo's and such. It makes more sense as a monosynth where four different things happen at once - or as a 4 multi timbral synth where you can set each voice to respond to a different midi channel and have a bass, lead, weird effect and some kind of an evolving texture - at the same time.
13th March 2012
Old 13th March 2012
Lives for gear

Just bumped into this demo. Finally shows hoe fat it can be.
Usually people demo the more weird or gentle side of the perfourmer, but this is da shit:

And here's an older one, but in the same general direction:

13th March 2012
Old 13th March 2012
Lives for gear

I wonder is a Vermona actually used for this song and if so, which one?

MrBoxxed
17th March 2012
Old 17th March 2012
Gear maniac

Massive Attack... Yes it sounds Vermona, they sound vermona!

I have just sold my DSI Tertra today, I think I'm going to put the cash down on a perfourmer mk2. It just sounds great, has direct access to all areas if all four voices (something the tetra lacked). I was thinking of a mono evolver or even a tempest also an elektron... But there is something about DSI I don't like the sound of so the price is good for tempest and mono evolver kb but they don't have that warmth. I have a spectralis 2, so I want something to suit it well.

Perhaps I could pair it up with an analog solutions Europa ?!

The idea of running it through a filter is an interesting option also.
I'm defiantly seriously considering it.
I'd say it's 95% the one, and I'm not sure what's holding me back. I think it's the how to or if I need to sync it to my spectralis?
18th March 2012
Old 18th March 2012
Lives for gear

Hello,

dsi synth have indeed another sonic flavor (I had the tetra as well and still enjoying my tempest for many reasons) sometimes this is what a song need . The performer sounds more vintage and raw, this article helps me to understand better his different midi modes:

Vermona PerFOURmer mkII | DV Magazine

P.s: in term of fast results and easiness Tempest is the king, I had a spectralis which is a complex machine (I sold it because I have several overlaps and have separated gear doing 1 thing better than the "all in one spectralis box"
MrBoxxed
18th March 2012
Old 18th March 2012
Gear maniac

Thanks for the article link. I thinks it the one. And your right about the spectralis, at the moment I'm just trying to use it really for drum type parts with the filter bank sequences. I'll add the p4mer to the mix and if I have any concerns I may consider a DSI Tempest (selling the specki).
18th March 2012
Old 18th March 2012
Lives for gear

you're very welcome,
Speckie is a great sonic synth (its highlights are pads & intricate/complex sequences), if you would have only 1 tool in your studio, it's the one.

With the tempest you create 1 pattern every 3 min and most of it sound crazy good on the programming side (linn sequencer is the best thing in term of "groove"). Yes tempest could have sound a bit more raw and organic which is not the case unfortunately.

Programming the spectralis it's an intellectual exercise ;-) at least it was for me.

Idea is to mix best of both world (when tempest will be able to sequence external gears if you plan to use it as your main sequencer) : Tempest to Perfourmer, I think it could be a wining couple (but expensive I admit).

After it depends your needs and goals of course, it's easy to overlap gears/softs in a small studio I think and at the end you use 10 % of each box...
MrBoxxed
18th March 2012
Old 18th March 2012
Gear maniac

I have not thought of sequencing from the spectralis to external gear?
At the moment in using an MPC2500 as the master time clock. Still getting to know all my gear and fine tune. Hence selling the tetra. I think I'll run with the p4mer and see how I go.
I love the concept and sound... I hope I can pick it up with out a steep learning curve!
21st March 2012
Old 21st March 2012
Lives for gear

Are you using the MPC to also sequence/ program beat and lines ?

The spectralis sequencer is certainly more complex and deep and one of its reason of its success after sound capabilities (look at Radikal site :http://www.radikaltechnologies.com/s...nthesizer.html )

I would try to do use both (MPC and speckie) to sequence perfourmer, perfourmer can also generate drums btw.

It is certainly more easy than spectralis !
MrBoxxed
21st March 2012
Old 21st March 2012
Gear maniac

Yep. I own a spectralis2. I don't fully understand its complexity, but I know it's complicated and sounds rad!

I'm still getting to know the mpc also, sequencing with it I don't k ow if I have got that far just yet. I'm programing the spectralis but running it from the mpc as master time clock, where I have two synths set up on two tracks. These are both triggered when I hit mpc play.
21st March 2012
Old 21st March 2012
Gear addict

I have the perfourmer mk1, can do nice round analog bass and also very unique sounds, some of which are quite distinct and people in the know would know its a perfourmer, i am contemplating getting the new one too but trying to justify the cost in relation to the difference between new and old, a few people have said to not bother as for the money the old one does the job and sounds more unique, amy be a case in years to come of the mk1 version being more valuable. Either way though, if you don't have one its a great synth to own!!!!
21st March 2012
Old 21st March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by empirix View Post
I have the perfourmer mk1, can do nice round analog bass and also very unique sounds
Yep.
Besides its great basic sound, i thought about its possibilities.
For example you could make some complex, changing dubstep wobble using the M2 mode. It's the mode where each new note you play - it progresses to the next synth. So if you set each of the four synths so that its lfo is on different clock division and you progress from voice 1 to voice 2 to voice 3 and 4 - you get the picture...
Can be more intetesting if you set each voice to play a different waveform.
21st March 2012
Old 21st March 2012
Lives for gear

it seems optimizations between mk1 and mk2 are:

- ability to respond to midi velocity
- ability to respond to after touch
- 1 more wave form (sinus)
- a more stable tuning
- if FM is activated it is possible to use the LFO
- bigger interface
and some other design changes apparently,,, conclusion of some review is: it is still sounding great as a vermona mk1 but with a new potential sonic palette

I won't be able to compare both, but should get my hands on the mk2 this week
MrBoxxed
22nd March 2012
Old 22nd March 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by isham View Post

I won't be able to compare both, but should get my hands on the mk2 this week
cool isham... I'm still holding back a little from finalizing my order. Been looking at the Analogue Solutions x,y,q series too.... I hope to make my choice soon!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search