Login / Register
 
Starting point for the Waves LinMB
New Reply
Subscribe
kabukin141
Thread Starter
#1
1st March 2012
Old 1st March 2012
  #1
Gear interested
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: NY
Posts: 24

Thread Starter
kabukin141 is offline
Starting point for the Waves LinMB

I am taking a shot at doing some mild mastering for some of my tracks using Waves Mastering Plugins. The LinMB comes with some presets but can anyone help me out with a good starting point for electronic and hip hop type music. I also use the Waves L2 after that if you could steer me in the right direction with that plugin also. I know this question is a little vague but I just need some advice as to where to start with these.
#2
1st March 2012
Old 1st March 2012
  #2
Lives for gear
 
schmuck's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,277
My Recordings/Credits

schmuck is online now
Check out the manual of the linmb. If I remember correctly, they have a step-by-step guide on how to generally use the plug which gives a good understanding/starting point.
#3
1st March 2012
Old 1st March 2012
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: NY
Posts: 2,283

HomeProducer is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by kabukin141 View Post
I am taking a shot at doing some mild mastering for some of my tracks using Waves Mastering Plugins. The LinMB comes with some presets but can anyone help me out with a good starting point for electronic and hip hop type music. I also use the Waves L2 after that if you could steer me in the right direction with that plugin also. I know this question is a little vague but I just need some advice as to where to start with these.
A good starting point is to bypass all bands, use only little gain reduction of 1-3 dB, no makeup gain, and attack = 20 ms for the bass, around 12 ms for low mids, 5 ms and 3 ms. Turn on the bands which need processing. Dont use the presets. Start with a glass of water before the session.
kabukin141
Thread Starter
#4
1st March 2012
Old 1st March 2012
  #4
Gear interested
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: NY
Posts: 24

Thread Starter
kabukin141 is offline
Thanks for the response. I went through it. I guess a more appropriate question would be if anyone can give me their opinions or insight on how to set it for these genres of music.
kabukin141
Thread Starter
#5
1st March 2012
Old 1st March 2012
  #5
Gear interested
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: NY
Posts: 24

Thread Starter
kabukin141 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeProducer View Post
A good starting point is to bypass all bands, use only little gain reduction of 1-3 dB, no makeup gain, and attack = 20 ms for the bass, around 12 ms for low mids, 5 ms and 3 ms. Turn on the bands which need processing. Dont use the presets. Start with a glass of water before the session.
thanks. What about where to set the crossovers? Any advice for using the L2?
#6
1st March 2012
Old 1st March 2012
  #6
Doesn't need more gear
 
backplay's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 802

backplay is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by kabukin141 View Post
Any advice for using the L2?
Don't!!!

Best advice i can give you.
kabukin141
Thread Starter
#7
1st March 2012
Old 1st March 2012
  #7
Gear interested
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: NY
Posts: 24

Thread Starter
kabukin141 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by backplay View Post
Don't!!!

Best advice i can give you.
Would you recommend a better one to use?
kabukin141
Thread Starter
#8
1st March 2012
Old 1st March 2012
  #8
Gear interested
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: NY
Posts: 24

Thread Starter
kabukin141 is offline
While I have some peoples attention I wanna ask about parallel compression with electronic music. I noticed when I did it the low end comes out a bit muddy. Does anybody use this approach with electronic drums or is it only really used when mixing real recorded drums. Any other methods I should give a try when doing drums?
#9
1st March 2012
Old 1st March 2012
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: NY
Posts: 2,283

HomeProducer is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by kabukin141 View Post
thanks. What about where to set the crossovers? Any advice for using the L2?
I find the first crossover too low. Set it to 150-200 Hz.

Use Elephant, Sonnox or Fabfilter instead of L2.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 
 
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
tGauge / So much gear, so little time!
25
edit machine / Electronic Music Instruments & Electronic Music Production
17
FFTT / So many guitars, so little time!
4

Forum Jump

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.