Best Hardware reverb for psychedelic chill out/ambient music??
Old 17th February 2012
Lives for gear

Best Hardware reverb for psychedelic chill out/ambient music??

I tried using the search function and couldn't find any thread regarding this subject.

Can you recommend me some good analog sounding reverbs for producing ambient/chill out??

I know that eventide got some of the best fx units, but it's way out of my league.

I could go with the Space and Timefactor pedals, but maybe there's something better than those?

Any inputs welcome!!

Thx
Old 17th February 2012
Lives for gear

I have been listening now to some strymon blue sky demos, this pedal really sounds lush...
Old 17th February 2012
Lives for gear

The Eventides are the best. They have very good modulation sections that create movement in the effect. Not only that but they include some nice options for changing pitch in some of the reverbs and delays which creates this lovely ambience. For ambient Eventide are the best. I have all their stuff, it's very inspiring to use...
Old 17th February 2012
Lives for gear

Pinch, scrimp and save. Eventide is worth it. Got my eclipse for $1,200 and plan on owning more eventide in the future. Its worth it if youre into music for the long haul.

Sent from my DROIDX using Gearslutz.com
Old 17th February 2012
Lives for gear

I prefer the Eventide pedals to the rack units because they have a much better interface for tweaking the sound. The rack units, whilst ok, do not have the dedicated knobs that the pedals have and as a result are a bit painful to use. The pedals sound brilliant and are much easier to use all round. Also the Eclipse will only run 1 "Factor" program whereas the pedals will run 4, if you have 4 of them. I also think the "Factor" algos sound brilliant.
Old 17th February 2012
t_d
Lives for gear

h3000

if you just want reverb, then you don't need one of the more expanded D/SE models. get the most basic. can sometimes be had for $600+ ... not that much more than a new eventide pedal.
Old 17th February 2012
Lives for gear

Thx for all the inputs so far!

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_d View Post
h3000

if you just want reverb, then you don't need one of the more expanded D/SE models. get the most basic. can sometimes be had for $600+ ... not that much more than a new eventide pedal.
I have been looking those!! Nice to know that, I noticed that are some different names (SE, D/SE and SK), and people say that the D/SE is the best.

I was thinking about upgrading my AD/DA side of the studio, almost closing a deal on a Burl B2 ADC bomber for US$2000, but I'm starting to think if it would be better to invest in some outboard effect units first.

I'm waiting for a response from John for a price on a customized Fromel Seraph Deluxe (the chorus).

Next in the chain would be a Strymon Timeline, and next a Eventide Space.

All those three units I believe that will cost me less than US$2000.

Ah almost forgot, I could add the moogerfooger phaser unit, only US$299
Old 17th February 2012
Gear addict

For ambient, drum&bass, chillout and trance.....go with second hand Eventide "DSP-series" or newer. The "H-series" have not this great reverb like the "DSP-series" or the new Eclipse etc.

Only the "Timefactory" or "Space" - also from Eventide - could be a cheap alternative.

The reverbs are mostly peppered with chorus and pitch-shifted delays and this produce these famous and extra wide and spacey rooms.

Sudad G
Old 17th February 2012
Gear Head

Orville

Eventide Orville and H8000FW are probably the best DSP you can find.

But the learning curve is quite long, be prepared to spend hours in programming but after that... there are no limts to your creativity
You can program any EFX and chain you want but it takes time to learn the modules and how to combine them to achieve the desired results.
Old 17th February 2012
Lives for gear

If you're just/mainly looking for reverb, don't forget about the Lexicon PCM92. They can get very big/lush sounding. Without going vintage or big budget, that might be a good choice for you. In addition to the reverbs, they have some other tricks in that box. Pull down a manual or preset list and check it out.
Old 17th February 2012
Lives for gear

If you can afford an Eclipse or a PCM92, go for it!

If you're at a significantly lower price point, then I'd recommend taking a look at the Kurzweil Rumour. Flexible, easy to use, super clean sound, excellent bang-for-the-buck.
Old 17th February 2012
Lives for gear

Man, this is what I call beautiful playing:

Lovely demo, the sound of the Strymon Timeline is beautiful, really organic... I', loving it.

All of his demos showcase really well the unit.
Old 17th February 2012
Lives for gear

Hey guys, thx for the inputs!!

My budget now is US$2000

The customized fromel seraph + moogerfooger phaser + eventide space + strymon timeline will reach to it I think, maybe a little less...

I'm gonna check the lexicon unit now.
Old 17th February 2012
Lives for gear

What some of my favorite artists use:

Steve Roach: Lexicon (now available as a native bundle at varying price levels: Lexicon PCM Native Total Bundle | Sweetwater.com)

Lifeforms era FSOL: Alessi Quadraverb and Midiverb, Korg DRV-1000

Simon Potsford/Shpongle: Eventide DSP4000 and H8000 (also has gone Native for TDM).

Since CPU's are powerful going native for algorithmic reverbs makes sense so you can use multiple instances and have easier editing.
Old 17th February 2012
Lives for gear

Don't forget a nice Spring can work wonders too... like a Demeter RV1.
That's the best I've used/heard. Something like an RV1 + used Eclipse/H3000 would be ideal.
Old 17th February 2012
Lives for gear

For $2000 there's the Eventide Reverb 2016. I don't have it but I've been thinking about getting that vs the other Eventide options. I'd be interested to hear thoughts on it for "ambient, drum&bass, chillout and trance" vs the much cheaper Space and its blackhole presets etc.

I myself have been holding out for the next Eventide line rollout so ebay prices drop.
Old 17th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entrainer View Post
Don't forget a nice Spring can work wonders too... like a Demeter RV1.
That's the best I've used/heard. Something like an RV1 + used Eclipse/H3000 would be ideal.

Thx for your input!

As far as the springs sounds really good, the decay time is too short for me, you have no control over the reverb parameters.
Old 17th February 2012
Lives for gear

I've had most of the Eventide units at one time or another and I can say that the pedals are the best cos they are very hands on, you can tweak the crap out of them and there's hardly any menu diving which is a killer to the creative process. If you like hands on, get the pedals, if you don't then get one of their rack units. Their Princeton reverb sounds brilliant.
Old 17th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by iksrazal View Post
For $2000 there's the Eventide Reverb 2016. I don't have it but I've been thinking about getting that vs the other Eventide options. I'd be interested to hear thoughts on it for "ambient, drum&bass, chillout and trance" vs the much cheaper Space and its blackhole presets etc.

I myself have been holding out for the next Eventide line rollout so ebay prices drop.
Hi!

I really don't wanna throw US$2000 on a single reverb unit... If I'm gonna spend US$2000 on a single item it would be the Burl B2 ADC.

I might take the eventide space out of the equation, I'm afraid that the VST version of the native plugins will be available soon, so, I don't know if It's a good investment...

I have been listening to some demos of the strymon blue sky reverberator, and I have to say that I'm really impressed with this brand, it sounds really beautiful, organic and analog to me, even though they're DSP.
Old 17th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieB View Post
I've had most of the Eventide units at one time or another and I can say that the pedals are the best cos they are very hands on, you can tweak the crap out of them and there's hardly any menu diving which is a killer to the creative process. If you like hands on, get the pedals, if you don't then get one of their rack units. Their Princeton reverb sounds brilliant.
Hi!

The Space pedal has a lot of knobs, from the youtube videos I can see It has a deep sound design capability, I wasn't impressed with the sounds of it very much... I'm gonna search for some hi fi demos.
Old 17th February 2012
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

i have plenty o eventides, but i also have a love my ensoniq dp4. it's dirt cheap and sounds REALLY good.
Old 17th February 2012
Lives for gear

Space is a brilliant reverb. It's got some interesting modulations that make it suitable for ambient cos it can evolve in very interesting ways. When you combine it with the other pedals you can get some insane stuff. Also worth noting is that with the rack units, they will only run one "Factor" algo at a time. The blackhole algo on the Eclipse is not the same as on the Space pedal, Space sounds better.
Old 17th February 2012
Lives for gear

I'm a cheapskate.. Ensoniq DP2 and MidiverbII here... both sound nice
Old 17th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Space is a brilliant reverb. It's got some interesting modulations that make it suitable for ambient cos it can evolve in very interesting ways. When you combine it with the other pedals you can get some insane stuff. Also worth noting is that with the rack units, they will only run one "Factor" algo at a time. The blackhole algo on the Eclipse is not the same as on the Space pedal, Space sounds better.

I'm trying to find a hi fi demo of space, cause from the youtube videos there's only crappy mics from cameras...

Maybe that's why I'm finding it too digital and cold
Old 17th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I prefer the Eventide pedals to the rack units because they have a much better interface for tweaking the sound. The rack units, whilst ok, do not have the dedicated knobs that the pedals have and as a result are a bit painful to use. The pedals sound brilliant and are much easier to use all round. Also the Eclipse will only run 1 "Factor" program whereas the pedals will run 4, if you have 4 of them. I also think the "Factor" algos sound brilliant.
Plus. they're a much easier financial hit to swallow. You can build up your studio $4-500 at a time, and have a new set of effects to play with after each purchase, rather than having to come up with thousands at once.
Old 17th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointsource View Post
I'm trying to find a hi fi demo of space, cause from the youtube videos there's only crappy mics from cameras...

Maybe that's why I'm finding it too digital and cold
Having heard your stuff, trust me, you'll love it. You can EQ the low end to your taste and build colossal sounds. I don't find it cold.
Old 17th February 2012
Lives for gear

An ex eventide user here. Much as I liked it, for a truly modular FX rig software allows me to experiment far more. I like to build oddballs within guitar rig as well, the LFOs and tight integration with the rig kontrol hardware are superb for movement.

GS will always give you the hardware centred approach, but don't discount the power of a total recall, patchable software setup, even for your hardware. After all, Eventide, Alesis and Strymon are DSP solutions too.
Old 17th February 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CfNorENa View Post
If you can afford an Eclipse or a PCM92, go for it!

If you're at a significantly lower price point, then I'd recommend taking a look at the Kurzweil Rumour. Flexible, easy to use, super clean sound, excellent bang-for-the-buck.
+1

Until recently I had all three units, but I recently sold the Rumour. I really liked the Rumour but after getting the Eclipse I couldn't justify keeping both. I prefer the reverbs on the PCM 92, but prefer the other FX on the Eclipse. I can't quantify it, I just do. I'm having a hard time deciding which one to keep - the Eclipse or the PCM 92. For spacey reverb, all three do a good job but I think the PCM 92 has the edge.
Old 18th February 2012
Gear addict

I will be the heretic here and say that I really HATED the Evintide space. If you are looking for a cold, soulless, modern reverb, Space is the way to go.
Old 18th February 2012
Banned

The verb on the Lexicon 300 is WAY better.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search