Login / Register

Sick and tired of hearing about Jupiter 6.
New Reply
Subscribe
1st May 2012
Old 1st May 2012
Lives for gear

The beauty of the JP-6 is that you can sync and cross modulate from one oscillator. Modulating the destination in pitch, pwm, and cross modulation by LFO/ENV gives you all kind of interesting waveforms/overtones and soundscapes.
1st May 2012
Old 1st May 2012
Lives for gear

Yeah the JP-6 offers a lot more for cross-mod and sync options. I always found the sync on the JP-8 to be backwards from what you typically want when doing cross-mod. The JP-6 let's you sync in either direction or even both syncs on at once with the Europa mod. You also get EG modulation of cross-mod amount on the JP-6.
1st May 2012
Old 1st May 2012
Lives for gear

duran duran are very successful
1st May 2012
Old 1st May 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden beers View Post
just a note about cross mod and the JP8.

if you use it right it is very musical and works well across the whole keyboard.
Thanks for the great tip - I'll use it soon!
1st May 2012
Old 1st May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Bouhalassa View Post
Thanks for the great tip - I'll use it soon!
one thing i didn't mention: when you're trying this, less is more. note in my example i had the cross mod slider at 15%. usually you can't get a sound tracking across the keyboard well with 100% cross mod.

ALSO: top tip, try it with VCO2 set to LOW FREQUENCY then set the env1 to change pitch of VCO2

Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel View Post
The knob on the Source is perhaps the ballsiest knob ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LimpyLoo View Post
My gearection has gone from 'Fairchild' to 'Behringer'...
Quote:
Originally Posted by apprenticemart2 View Post
I like the sample packs with booby girls on the front cover or sound engineers lookin' 'ard as fur.
2nd May 2012
Old 2nd May 2012
Lives for gear

I have a JP6. I too was frustrated by the lack of bass output, especially when stacked up next to its little brother, my Juno 106. I solved the weak bass output with a super-simple mod that most JP6 owners don't seem to know about. The cool thing is that it's easy to do as a DIY project and it can be undone without damaging the synth. You don't need to be an electrical engineer to pull this off but it doesn't hurt to have some knowledge of electronics.

Here's what I did: I swiveled my chair to the right so I was facing my mixer, located the EQ nob that read 80hz and turned it to the right until the little arrow pointed at +10db.

At that point the sound was nearly identical to my Juno 106 in terms of bass volume. If anyone needs help executing this mod let me know and I'll post photos.
2nd May 2012
Old 2nd May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slippast View Post
Here's what I did: I swiveled my chair to the right so I was facing my mixer, located the EQ nob that read 80hz and turned it to the right until the little arrow pointed at +10db.

2nd May 2012
Old 2nd May 2012
Banned

I still can't decide whether my Jupiter 6 or my MKS-80 is "better".

I know, it's a tough world....
11th May 2012
Old 11th May 2012
Gear nut

Basically, if you can't make the J6 sound incredible, you should be hit over the head with it. Then you can go plug your PRS into your Triple Rec and GTFO my lawn.
19th March 2013
Old 19th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRANZ KAFKA View Post
Exhibit A:

"i agree, even the juno 60 sounds better, but the juno 60 sounds better than the andromeda - i have both"

"just ended up collecting dust getting in the way.( Wish I'd of kept it to cash in on the collectors market though...£1500!? what a joke!) I've got a Korg EX8000 worth about £200 which sounds much better than the JP-6"

"Yeah I agree. Roland always sounds right to me. Except the Jupiter 6 for some reason."

"The jupiter 6 and mks80 rev 4 sound like ass thanks to the good old CEM that ruins everything"

"i had a Jupiter 6 for a number of years. it was not the warm little brother of the Jupiter 8 i thought it would be or the cousin of the Juno 60. cold, sterile, and thin compared to many synths it is. blame the filter. those qualities are exactly why i liked it in a mix, i didn't muddy things up on the low end and the brittle high end was very clear in a mix. it was taking up all the space, it sat there nice and pretty with the 808 or 909"

"the J6 was very cold sounding"

"Easily the worst "sounding" analog synthesizer Roland had ever produced! Sure, it looks sensational... It has mad flexability and routing but has absolutely NO PUNCH! Trust me, I've owned or played all of the classic Rolands and this synth is a total embarassment! I finally sold mine and purchased three other so called lesser vintage synths all of which blew this guy out of the water! However, it was constructed quite well and never had any issues. Good arpeggiator too but sonically even treated with a ton of fx it was still a joke!"

are people on crack?
Well, there is either something in it (or is the entire internet wrong?) OR they were trying to stop price rises on the '6 so they could grab one?

I've always wanted to try one out but from demos I really don't think I'd prefer the intrinsic sound over my Juno 60/JX-3P combo even if it can do so much more than them pair!

As time passes I'm starting to realise I care less about a synths features/architecture and more about the sound. A guitar has only six strings and we whack them through pretty much the same pedals/effects for the past 50 years and they create great music, a synth that sounds good (not honky, harsh, thin - in a bad way) is like that, a great music maker. That's what counts really.

I could find a place in a mix for a JP-6 I'm sure, it appears to fill a frequency role (in bandpass mode at least) similar to the JD-800, another 'thin' synth that works great in a mix, not everything can be warm thick, you often EQ stuff away anyway. But when you consider the price (of the JP-6) and the general tone it does seem it's over-rated slightly based on it's looks and spec list rather than it's sound? If Juno 60 is accused of being over-rated (and over-priced) yet it constantly gets great reviews and users loving it, it's about the sound not the feature list and the '60 shows that.

I've often thought on deeper synths when making crazy new sounds, esp the slightly more advanced analogs I've had (The AX80, JX-8P etc) vs simpler synths like the Juno 60, is that you end up making a load of crazy unusual sounds that are just not that musical, you spend so much time wondering if you could, you don't stop to think if you should! (Jurassic park ref)

JP-6 is a wonderful synth, if at a decent price. But soundwise there is obviously something that sets people's ears on edge in a lot of cases hence it getting so many people slating it, is it just because they expected more from the jupiter name and it's looks? and it's specs?
19th March 2013
Old 19th March 2013
Gear addict

i bought one new, who else?
19th March 2013
Old 19th March 2013
Gear maniac

I bought one new when it first came out. It remains my favorite PolySynth. My perspective is different than someone who might have acquired one many years later. At the time I was playing in cover bands on the Orange County, CA club circuit. The Jupiter 6 was very popular. I knew five other keyboardists on the circuit who had them.
The 6 was the first full-service dual VCO Poly to come along at a much lower price point than the Oberheims, Prophets, MemoryMoogs, etc. preceding the DX-7 and cheap Samplers. At that time it was the only Poly that could excel at sparkly bell-like sounds. It could even do a passable Grand Piano among many other useful sounds. Now with all these kinds of sounds easily available the Jupiter is less desirable for it's extraordinary imitation abilities. Without any need for imitative Synthesis these days it now has to stand on it's own merits and be judged against many other Synths. I can see how some people might not take to it as it is not fat sounding with the snappy envelopes that are so desirable today. Many who began with a heavily chorused DCO Synth will naturally prefer that sound.
Prophet 5 rev. 2, Matrix 12, OB8, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, CS70M, MS20, Pro-One, Hammond C3, M102, Vox Continental, Super Continental, Gibson G101, RMI 300A, Fender Rhodes Piano Bass, Hohner Pianet N, Combo Pianet, CP35, DX-7, S770, S760, S50, Casio PX-5S, WK-3800,
Rickenbacker 360-12, 320
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search