Does Anyone Regret Buying The Tempest?
Old 10th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonGherkins View Post
Godamnit I'm going to buy one anyways but FFs fix the wobbly button looking crap dsi! Super frustrating to look at all day
Really it's not so bad
Old 10th February 2012
DSK
Lives for gear

Those buttons look ok.
Absolutely no issue what so ever with them.
The whole machine looks and feels amazing.

I can confidently take it to a live session without to much worry apart from liquids around it.

People want punchy snappy etc. but when they get it straight out of the box they complain.

If it was round and full without snap people would have wanted the opposite.

I can get both types of sound. The filter is the key. You must read the manual.
I just don't understand???

A 909 is more expensive and it just doesn't make sense.. people would have payed more for a synth that does less than what the synth part of the Tempest does...

IMO one of the main reason that I keep praising DSI is that I want them to make more stuff.

I want them to succeed.

My ego says keep it secret... it's just too good of a machine and will further the access of people to good stuff thus making you less unique..

My consciousness says spread the word... it's just too good of a machine and can infuse inspiration and originality into a jaded world with copycats and cultural dead-ends and will bring joy to many for a reasonable price.
Old 10th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AikiGhost View Post
Just had a 3 hour session on the Tempest and forgive me if I'm blunt (I'm a little bit drunk here) but if you don't dig what the tempest is capable of I can only think one of the following.

1. You wish to make clichéd music and are uninterested in original and creative ways of doing beats.

2. You haven't understood how the tempest works and really don't understand how to synthesise what you are after in terms of sounds. Or perhaps you are the kind of person who has only ever worked by finding a preset you like and tweaking it (slightly) to taste.

3. You have no talent of any kind, please stop trying to make music now. Go do something more productive instead. Learn medicine or crochet perhaps?
Great, so now maybe when you sober up you can explain what specifically was so great about that session of yours. Maybe even with some audio, or, god forbid, some video showing what you actually did that makes it great.
Old 10th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AikiGhost View Post
Just had a 3 hour session on the Tempest and forgive me if I'm blunt (I'm a little bit drunk here) but if you don't dig what the tempest is capable of I can only think one of the following.

1. You wish to make clichéd music and are uninterested in original and creative ways of doing beats.

2. You haven't understood how the tempest works and really don't understand how to synthesise what you are after in terms of sounds. Or perhaps you are the kind of person who has only ever worked by finding a preset you like and tweaking it (slightly) to taste.

3. You have no talent of any kind, please stop trying to make music now. Go do something more productive instead. Learn medicine or crochet perhaps?
After this century speech i would like to hear some talented beats. Did you record your legendary 3 hour session?

I think Tempest would be cool, if the price was about 2/3.
Old 10th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funk Fiction View Post
i also haven't been convinced by any demonstration i've seen. i also think that i can't come to a conclusion on the tempest until i play with one in person. i would love to hear some direct-in (non video microphone) recordings of just a simple, clean, punchy house beat even. i'm really interested in hearing the sound quality of this thing. uncompressed and compressed. it's very expensive! so there should be some fantastic demonstrations!

hell the mini brute isn't even out yet but there are some very promising demos of it already.
watch this demo

DSI Tempest Tr-808-Demolition - YouTube
Old 3rd March 2012
Gear interested

I am having a midi issue with mine and I don't know what to do. I upgraded the OS, and it says everything is the right version in the system menu, but it still won't start when I use my Yamaha RS7000 as the master even though I have the tempest set to slave. I checked the midi cables with all my other drum machines and they are fine and everything works as it normally does. Do I have to do something else to make the Tempest receive midi start messages? Then on top of this i discovered another issue when I hooked up a midi cable to the out on the tempest to use it as a master for my echoplex. It causes the audio outs to make a funny oscillating sound that is faint but clear as hell and very annoying. Is there something wrong with this thing? Help....... please, somebody, I am loving making beats and sounds on this but these issues are making it impossible to use this with my other gear the way i should be able too. Thanks.
Old 3rd March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeProducer View Post
man, post a spectrum not a waveform

that waveform might still contain harmonics, which you HEAR.

That four pole filter is not enough to get a clean sine wave.
Right, you'd hear harmonics which would lend to dynamic augmentation to the wave I posted. It's a sine, stop trollin'.
Old 3rd March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner View Post
I am having a midi issue with mine and I don't know what to do. I upgraded the OS, and it says everything is the right version in the system menu, but it still won't start when I use my Yamaha RS7000 as the master even though I have the tempest set to slave. I checked the midi cables with all my other drum machines and they are fine and everything works as it normally does. Do I have to do something else to make the Tempest receive midi start messages? Then on top of this i discovered another issue when I hooked up a midi cable to the out on the tempest to use it as a master for my echoplex. It causes the audio outs to make a funny oscillating sound that is faint but clear as hell and very annoying. Is there something wrong with this thing? Help....... please, somebody, I am loving making beats and sounds on this but these issues are making it impossible to use this with my other gear the way i should be able too. Thanks.
Try the DSI / Prophet Forum, or pm PYM direct. Most people who own a Tempest will not have this specific problem.
Old 3rd March 2012
Gear addict

Not at all. It can get really noisy when using the distortion and compression, sometimes to the point of it being unusable... But as far as it being an amazing creative tool that has greatly improved my workflow in creating beats and rhythmic lines (as well as a standard 6 voice poly-synth - though I haven't gotten that far in my learning yet) nothing I think can touch it. Some people don't like the DSI sound but I do and I think that it is their premier music instrument). I will keep it for life and pass it down to my kids!
Old 3rd March 2012
Lives for gear

Regret buying the Tempest? Not me man. Not one bit.
Old 3rd March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarlywarly View Post
Absolutely no regrets, but some OS-related niggles. Most are being addressed but some cannot, for example recorded knob and FX-slider movements (a la electribe). There is only 4mb of memory on board and this is not enough for such things.
Only 4mb of memory in this day and age? Wtf were they thinking?
Old 3rd March 2012
Gear addict

I don't regret my Tempest...yet. As I acquire more outboard gear I do worry how I'm going to get the good things about the Tempest (pattern mode/switching, live playing) while simultaneously working with other sequencers (like my RM1X -- the RS7K problems an earlier poster mention have me nervous now, since I haven't hooked the two up yet).

I think it was an impulse buy on my part and I kinda wish I had spent the money on a Cirklon, PEK, or P08.

But I'm going to hold onto it until after I have a chance to wire up everything and see how they all work together. Using it just as a drum machine seems pretty silly since the thing about it I love is its performance driven nature.
Old 3rd March 2012
Banned

regret never, crazy machine.
Old 3rd March 2012
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boddhisattva007 View Post
Not at all. It can get really noisy when using the distortion and compression, sometimes to the point of it being unusable... But as far as it being an amazing creative tool that has greatly improved my workflow in creating beats and rhythmic lines (as well as a standard 6 voice poly-synth - though I haven't gotten that far in my learning yet) nothing I think can touch it. Some people don't like the DSI sound but I do and I think that it is their premier music instrument). I will keep it for life and pass it down to my kids!
agrees
Old 9th April 2012
Gear nut
I am confused.

Why would anyone expect or even want to use presets on a synth drum machine? There are approx 6 billion drum sample packs in the universe, why would you spend more than a grand to use presets??

Am I missing something?
Old 10th April 2012
Lives for gear

I dont regret it.The price yes,but the machine itself.fantastic.I think i need 2.
Old 15th April 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaconTastesGood View Post
I don't regret my Tempest...yet. As I acquire more outboard gear I do worry how I'm going to get the good things about the Tempest (pattern mode/switching, live playing) while simultaneously working with other sequencers (like my RM1X -- the RS7K problems an earlier poster mention have me nervous now, since I haven't hooked the two up yet).

I think it was an impulse buy on my part and I kinda wish I had spent the money on a Cirklon, PEK, or P08.

But I'm going to hold onto it until after I have a chance to wire up everything and see how they all work together. Using it just as a drum machine seems pretty silly since the thing about it I love is its performance driven nature.
I ended up selling it (and took a bath on it too -- it seems that used Tempests are starting to hit the market pretty hard now whereas they were non-existent a month ago).

It's a fabulous instrument, I loved it to death, but I always seemed like I was either playing/composing on the Tempest OR using all my other gear. It just didn't seem like there was an easy to make the composing process integrate between the two short of really underutilizing the Tempest (i.e. using it as a polyanalog synth or just a straight up drum machine).

The things I specifically loved about the Tempest had everything to do with live performance and composition. I never really developed a workflow that worked well with composing on the Tempest in real time and then getting other gear involved, and unfortunately the Tempest just isn't full featured enough for my kind of music to rely on it exclusively.

It's a great instrument, and honestly it rekindled my love for making music because for 10 years being computer based just kind of...sucked the life out of me. So while I lost a few hundred bucks in the process I consider it money well spent because I'm now enthused about getting my Cirklon and using all my other outboard gear, whereas six months ago I was "happy" with Reason 6 but not inspired.

The Tempest was very inspirational and I'm very fond of it. But in the end I just wasn't using it that much compared to my RM1X and outboard gear, and I'd rather have the money that was tied up into the Tempest going to more gear =)
Old 15th April 2012
Lives for gear

^ sorry to hear that but it actually makes a lot of sense... i'll be the first to admit tempest isn't the end all be all box i initially thought it would be when i first bought it... that being said it's mostly because of a couple remaining issues and unfinished features due to it's beta state. i've even thought of letting it go as it's currently not being included much in my setup due to sync issues. a major update is around the corner though that hopefully will address most of the stuff i'm having trouble with, and on it's own it is a fascinating and inspiring product that just like you re-ignited my passion for hardware, i've since resurrected my MPC from the dead and recently acquired an SP-1200, all this when i thought i was done with all non step sequencers type units... but i do have faith left that tempest will mature into something more usable in the context of a full midi setup..
Old 15th April 2012
Lives for gear

Regret purchasing no. Regret not using it as much as I should. (I'm trapped in interface purchase decision hell).
Old 15th April 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanax View Post
^ sorry to hear that but it actually makes a lot of sense... i'll be the first to admit tempest isn't the end all be all box i initially thought it would be when i first bought it... that being said it's mostly because of a couple remaining issues and unfinished features due to it's beta state. i've even thought of letting it go as it's currently not being included much in my setup due to sync issues. a major update is around the corner though that hopefully will address most of the stuff i'm having trouble with, and on it's own it is a fascinating and inspiring product that just like you re-ignited my passion for hardware, i've since resurrected my MPC from the dead and recently acquired an SP-1200, all this when i thought i was done with all non step sequencers type units... but i do have faith left that tempest will mature into something more usable in the context of a full midi setup..
I agree completely. If 6 months from now the Tempest is amazing I might regret this, but the reality is that I have a fixed budget and the Tempest was a massive part of that budget, so selling it is allowing me to pick up some other things I've really wanted.
Old 15th April 2012
Lives for gear

well i've yet to have much feedback from cirklon users but it looks like a terrific unit, if i ever let go of tempest i would probably get that as well since you can't own everything indeed! btw is there still a long waiting list/eta for cirklon?
Old 15th April 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanax View Post
well i've yet to have much feedback from cirklon users but it looks like a terrific unit, if i ever let go of tempest i would probably get that as well since you can't own everything indeed! btw is there still a long waiting list/eta for cirklon?
Yes, there is a long wait list and ETA. I'm scheduled for May I believe.
Old 15th April 2012
DSK
Lives for gear

What is a nice workaround when pairing it with the Octatrack for me is that I ignored the sync alltogether (read about the sync problems before buying the Octa).

I just start the Octa after the Tempest is running and this way I can use the nudge buttons. They drift apart aftar a while but it's easy to nudge back.

I love the feel I can get from nudges... but I do wish sync would be implemented.

Overall after my computer died the Tempest saved my music creating soul!
Old 4th May 2012
I hate that I am popsting in this thread but...

My Tempest has been letting me down. On the sunbject of live-performance...
I used it to play live the other night, dropping tempest-only tracks into an Abelton set and also using it as a synth to drop over beats coming from the lappy. As soon as the set began murphy's law was in full swing. Instantly I had a hung note that thnakfully dropped out once I switched the pattern tot he next step. Next, I had random 'phantom' volume fluctuations. My 'band' mate and I were frantically looking for a fader or anything that we may have adjusted accidentally to cause this issue but it was just the tempest acting strangely.

On the subject of build quality...
I am quite gentle with my tempest but from (gently!!) using the LPF knob to create some sweeps and such that we use in our live set, recording swept arps into reason, and general use in my sound design endeavors the knob has now gotten a bit of play in it. I am severely disappointed that this is happening as I sold off most all of my gear to buy the tempest and some Bm5a's I have all my eggs in DSI's proverbial basket.

Has anyone had build quality issues with their tempest? Am I jumping the gun? The knob wiggle is really minor but I fear that a littel tiny wobble today is the broken knob of tomorrow. Although I had a virus with a wiggly pot for more than a year and it never really got any worse... This is the absolute first piece of BRAND NEW gear I have ever bought so perhaps this is just a small amount of 'break-in'?

I really think I have been getting good sounds from the tempest and its all I have right now aside from reason 6 (which is something i use more in a collaborative sense) so I really don't want to let it go. I would have a really hard time going back to the mpc3000 at this point...

Just venting a little bit, anyone had reservations about tempest after using one for awhile and decided to wait it out??
Old 4th May 2012
Lives for gear

@incurablebeatlus

What OS are you using? latest beta is very stable - no stuck notes, a lot of bugs fixed, MIDI sync tightened dramatically.....

Build-quality - I was initially concerned but have encountered no problems. My pots are a little stiff - I kinda want some play (but not too much)t . If you're really concerned contact DSI or discuss on the Tempest forum - both are very helpful.

Good luck!
Old 4th May 2012
Good point, im not on the newest OS. That may clean up some of the stability issues. The loose pot is still an issue though.
Old 5th May 2012
Pym
Gear addict

I haven't heard of a pot failing due to normal abuse, only due to shipping issues or something like that. Worst case and it does fail just send it in and we'll replace the pot, simple repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by incurablebeatlus View Post
Good point, im not on the newest OS. That may clean up some of the stability issues. The loose pot is still an issue though.
Old 5th May 2012
Gear interested

I actually have a similar, slightly wobbly knob on my P'08 (on the filter knob). Scared the s*** out of me at first. I came to the same conclusion as you... loose now, broken later.

About 6 months later, its still holding up just fine. I've had a few other knobs get a little loose on me as well, but I'm not worried anymore.

Haven't seen this on my Tempest yet, but it may be bound to happen. I do think its unfortunate the knobs aren't completely rock solid, but I guess that's how they can get away with such powerful analogs at a fairly reasonable price. (I imagine having non surface mount pots would add substantially to the price)
Old 8th May 2012
Lives for gear

Sorry to bring back an old thread but I have to say that I am SO GLAD I didn't buy a Tempest. I almost ordered one in the beginning. Yesterday i spent a few hours with one and was blown away by how unimpressed I was with it. To each their own. I know some peoole love it and are inspired by it. That's great for them. I really wanted to like it. It was like a can of coke that had been sitting open in the fridge for a week. Yes it's cold, yes it's a coke, yes your thirsty, yes you're gonna drink it, but...
Old 8th May 2012
Lives for gear

No way regret it. I know no machine out there like it and in combination with my other machines this thing is a beast.

Sure it is not perfect but tell me a machine that is?

For $2k this thing is a bargain and also lets not forget it is a synth in its own right, fat techno bass and stabs are a few dials away!
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search