Wish list for a new DSI synth...
Old 30th January 2012
Lives for gear

Wish list for a new DSI synth...

So sometimes I dream about what I'd want in a new poly analog from Dave Smith. So here it is:

-Keyboard as well as desktop version a la P08 with knob per function interface
-Voice architecture of the Tetra plus:
-High pass analog filter added, in series maybe with the existing low pass
-8 voices with true multimbral operation
-Analog effect section with distortion/overdrive and chorus
-Operating system without bugs
-Maybe some sort of cross mod between oscillators but I know it's not possible with the current design unless of course a digital oscillator would also be added

Am I asking too much here? Thoughts?
Old 30th January 2012
Lives for gear

* A non-Soundtower software programmer, that actually f***ing works as advertised.
Old 30th January 2012
Lives for gear

Something similar to the evolver but with
*wave shape as a mod destination
*knobs send midi cc info so one can control soft synths
Old 30th January 2012
Lives for gear

- 3 VCOs
- CV/Gate
- Buttons for waveforms
Old 30th January 2012
Lives for gear

1. Something with the modulation of the Evolver (but not the digital oscs or wavetables) but that doesn't have a fundamental tone that makes my stomach feel weird.

2. VCOs just so everybody stops whining.

3. 8 voices, 3 oscs + subs on each.

4. Build quality more in line with Access than Burger King.

5. Fatar keys

6. As close to knob per function as possible.

7. Built in knobby sequencer like the Poly Evolver's

8. Skip the effects. They just add to the cost and outboard will always be better.

This would essentially be the ultimate Prophet. Call it the Prophet 80 (or Prophet 50 for 5 voices to keep prices down) and show Roland how it's done.
Old 30th January 2012
Lives for gear

Hmm...I'd be happy with a DSI keyboard with the Tetra sound engine that included a 3rd oscillator. A sine wave option for an oscillator waveform would be nice too. 8-12 notes of polyphony and simple FX would be great.
Old 30th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectwoofer View Post
-Operating system without bugs
Are you suggesting that the current Prophet 08s or Tetr4s have bugs? If they do I haven't found them.
Old 30th January 2012
Lives for gear

How about encoders that don,t fail after a few months

LK
Old 30th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekrafty View Post
How about encoders that don,t fail after a few months

LK
How about no encoders.
Ring mod
3 vcos. per voice plus sub osc
Maybe have 1 digital osc. per voices
Hi pass filter
Morphing filter ala sunsyn
6 or 8 voices
Old 30th January 2012
I didn't know there was so much hate for the digital oscs of the evolver. Am I the only one who likes them?
Old 30th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aunshui View Post
I didn't know there was so much hate for the digital oscs of the evolver. Am I the only one who likes them?
My comment wasn't hate, they literally made my stomach feel weird. It was fine if I just played the DCOs, but then my MEK was just a fancy Mopho.
Old 30th January 2012
Gear interested

AU plug in control. Im sick of that s*oundtower crapware.
Old 30th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I like to have a digital osc. per voice. That is so long as there are vcos for the main osc.
Old 30th January 2012
Lives for gear

1. a knob per function as already mentioned

2. move away from the CEM synth-on-a-chip VCF/VCA. for example, make a new filter based on SSM2164, which is a modern, readily available chip, and can be used for two (2) 12dB multimode filters. with options for serial and parallel routing, a 24dB slope can also be accomplished, and many nice things. not sure all posibilites could fit on knob-per-function system. it may require at least one or two menus for all functions. and use a nicer VCA that has some desirable non linearity when pushed. get the sound bigger/thicker. external filter in.

(3). true polymod, with oscilator fm-ing the filter, the first oscilator or pulse width. last two i dont think are possible with this oscillator design tho.

(4). not likely with DSI, but yeah a move to a vco design. not all vco designs are prohibitively expensive. bug profit margin isnt as great as when selling DCOs. if they stay with DCOs, get separate clocks per note, with more attention to indiv slop..

5. analog fx section.. a BBD ensemble with something avail today TDA1022 etc, and an analog overdrive.

6. filter feedback knob aka minimoog headphone trick aka "brute" on miniBrute. quite easily implemented.

7. arpeggio and simple step seq, with clock input.

8. LFOs that go higher in audio range

9. one oscillator should have a sub, choice of narrow pulse or square

bottom line, DCO or VCO, with two character multimode filters per voice, and ensemble effect... id be very happy. and SSM2164 is cheap enough.

yes im dreaming, but for the heck of it..
Old 30th January 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
1. a knob per function as already mentioned

2. move away from the CEM synth-on-a-chip VCF/VCA. for example, make a new filter based on SSM2164, which is a modern, readily available chip, and can be used for two (2) 12dB multimode filters. with options for serial and parallel routing, a 24dB slope can also be accomplished, and many nice things. not sure all posibilites could fit on knob-per-function system. it may require at least one or two menus for all functions. and use a nicer VCA that has some desirable non linearity when pushed. get the sound bigger/thicker. external filter in.

(3). true polymod, with oscilator fm-ing the filter, the first oscilator or pulse width. last two i dont think are possible with this oscillator design tho.

(4). not likely with DSI, but yeah a move to a vco design. not all vco designs are prohibitively expensive. bug profit margin isnt as great as when selling DCOs. if they stay with DCOs, get separate clocks per note, with more attention to indiv slop..

5. analog fx section.. a BBD ensemble with something avail today TDA1022 etc, and an analog overdrive.

6. filter feedback knob aka minimoog headphone trick aka "brute" on miniBrute. quite easily implemented.

8. LFOs that go higher in audio range

9. one oscillator should have a sub, choice of narrow pulse or square

bottom line, DCO or VCO, with two character multimode filters per voice, and ensemble effect... id be very happy. and SSM2164 is cheap enough.

yes im dreaming, but for the heck of it..
+1 !!!
I dont know what to add
Old 30th January 2012
Banned

Quote:

9. one oscillator should have a sub
Tetr4 has all of these so they're very realistic requests.
Old 30th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I love em
Old 30th January 2012
Pym
Gear addict

That part, the SSM2164, is being discontinued. There really aren't many options for analog parts nowadays that are reasonably priced, most of the fab plants are being shut down.

Quote:
Old 30th January 2012
Gear addict

I would be happy with a keyboard version of the tetra with one knob per function and a fully integrated software solution.
Old 30th January 2012
Gear maniac

Dear Mr. Smith,

must a nobody like me have to remind you of your contribution to digital synthesis, both in hardware with the Prophet VS, WaveStation and SY22 and first software synth Reality?

How about a 24bit Tablet Wavestationy Synth with touch graphically editable wave sequences,2 multimode filters per Osc,
Multi fx and a realtime performance mode that takes the vector stick into 3d touch control?

After all , how much sawtooth wave squelching do we need?

Yours sincerely, but in some trepidation of being flamed,

Subhertz.
Old 30th January 2012
Gear addict

What I'd like to see a few rare features:

A modulation matrix a la:

controlled with touchplates that can be programmed for continuous, discrete pitch a la:

Oh, and open things up with some CV options, integrated into the matrix!

And I second a new filter! I would go for this...

Old 30th January 2012
Lives for gear

*A keyboard with polyphonic aftertouch or in the very least the hardware supports poly-AT via MIDI.
Old 30th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by subhertz View Post
Dear Mr. Smith,

must a nobody like me have to remind you of your contribution to digital synthesis, both in hardware with the Prophet VS, WaveStation and SY22 and first software synth Reality?

How about a 24bit Tablet Wavestationy Synth with touch graphically editable wave sequences,2 multimode filters per Osc,
Multi fx and a realtime performance mode that takes the vector stick into 3d touch control?

After all , how much sawtooth wave squelching do we need?

Yours sincerely, but in some trepidation of being flamed,

Subhertz.
You bastard!

Digits killed my parents
Old 30th January 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
Are you suggesting that the current Prophet 08s or Tetr4s have bugs? If they do I haven't found them.
You must have never tried using Tetra in multi-timbral mode.
Old 30th January 2012
Lives for gear

I'd like an enhanced Prophet 08 keyboard with-

3 Oscillators
More waveforms, including sine wave
Multimode filter (I'd settle for this alone!)
Filter drive option
Individual panning options on oscillators
More programmable arpeggiator
Ribbon Control.

But to be honest, I'm just greedy!
Old 30th January 2012
KT1
Lives for gear

I have not seen any bugs with my PT 8..anyways..See spec for the 'Shmidt'.

6 filters..etc etc..why not go all out? Are we trying to document requirements for a reasonable price tag?
Old 30th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KT1 View Post
I have not seen any bugs with my PT 8..anyways..See spec for the 'Shmidt'.

6 filters..etc etc..why not go all out? Are we trying to document requirements for a reasonable price tag?
Well- that's the thing.

The Scmidt is going to be an uber-boutique monster synth.

I'm sure DSI would prefer to put out something that will keep them in business for a while to come!

The Prophet 08 keyboard cost me £1500 new recently. I reckon my list would take the cost up to somewhere between £2000-2500. An extra oscillator takes the osc count from 16 to 24, which (if you go for more waves and mod routing) would up the cost considerably.

Multimode filters would increase the price too, particularly as there's one per voice.

Things like panning and arpeggiators would be software, rather than hardware, so would have less impact.

It would be nice to have each LFO with completely dedicated knobs, but that would be an unnecessary function/price increase for a complex polysynth. Maybe two with dedicated knobs and the rest via selector switches, like on the current Prophet would be better.
Old 30th January 2012
Lives for gear

I wonder how much it'd cost if Yamaha did a similar thing with the CS-80. A modern (probably chip based) equivalent with the same sound and filter structure.

It'd probably be lighter, more stable and cheaper to produce these days than back in the 70s. As long as the filters were there and the control options (though I doubt poly-pressure would be on the menu, as no-one really bothers with that these days). But still probably more than £3k.
Old 30th January 2012
Lives for gear

I wish Yamaha made new analogs based on their old tech, kind of like how the steiner-parker filter being resurrected in the MiniBrute...Yamaha has some really unique sounds
Old 30th January 2012
KT1
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by the donal View Post
Well- that's the thing.

The Scmidt is going to be an uber-boutique monster synth.

I'm sure DSI would prefer to put out something that will keep them in business for a while to come!

The Prophet 08 keyboard cost me £1500 new recently. I reckon my list would take the cost up to somewhere between £2000-2500. An extra oscillator takes the osc count from 16 to 24, which (if you go for more waves and mod routing) would up the cost considerably.

Multimode filters would increase the price too, particularly as there's one per voice.

Things like panning and arpeggiators would be software, rather than hardware, so would have less impact.

It would be nice to have each LFO with completely dedicated knobs, but that would be an unnecessary function/price increase for a complex polysynth. Maybe two with dedicated knobs and the rest via selector switches, like on the current Prophet would be better.
I'm with you. I actually think the 2 osc are fine. You have an additional envelope already and 4 LFO's. It's a very competent synth in my opinion for its price point. I agree that your wish list would be nice! I mean it's like the equivalent of a Juno to Jupiter. if the proph 8 was a juno what would make it a jupiter? More flexibility? better components..more modulation options etc etc. Im with you an equivalent synth for 2.5k ish would be fab!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search