Gearslutz.com

Gearslutz.com (http://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Electronic Music Instruments & Electronic Music Production (http://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-electronic-music-production/)
-   -   Arturia Minibrute (http://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-electronic-music-production/692661-arturia-minibrute.html)

verve92 26th January 2012 04:00 AM

Arturia Minibrute

Please tell me I'm dreaming. This thing is AMAZING and cheap as hell at $499!!!.boing
I've been so wrapped up in the MiniTaur I was slow on the uptake on this unit. So if I'm too far behind -sorry.
Moog Schmoog.
This thing has twice the features a real keyboard with frigging after-touch? Its also significantly less money. I could care less if the housing is plastic (if it in fact is).
More discussion I know in the "New Product Alert" forum but how many of you will buy one over the Moog if you can't afford both like me?
Poly on the way? This is the power of the slutz. We are being heard. Please let it NOT sound like crap in the flesh.
OK I will shut up now!!
Several videos on this link:

Arturia MiniBrute | Sweetwater.com

tropical outlook 26th January 2012 04:05 AM

Iirc housing is all metal.

djugel 26th January 2012 04:06 AM

yeah.. this thing made me totally forget about the MiniTaur

tropical outlook 26th January 2012 04:08 AM

From an early matrixsynth post:

The Arturia MiniBrute Hardware Synth? "Key features: Voltage controlled oscillator 25 key keyboard with aftertouch Steiner-Parker multi-mode filter Innovative analog Ultrasaw , Metalizer , Brute Factor technology 14 faders and 29 knobs Rich interface, CV , Gate , USB , MIDI Advanced arpeggiator Rugged metal housing"

Jeeroj 26th January 2012 06:31 AM

i really like the features of it but all the demos i've seen of it sound a bit 'buzzy' for want of a better word. All the other main features sound brilliant to the point where i was thinking it could replace a 101 in the kind of music I do, but I've not heard it do that wonderful high square lead sound like you get in classic squarepusher tracks. I want a nice clean sounding square wave!!

this is the sound i want it to get close to!

Mr Arkadin 26th January 2012 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by verve92 (Post 7487886)
I could care less

It's "couldn't care less" btw.

flat earth 26th January 2012 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djugel (Post 7487903)
yeah.. this thing made me totally forget about the MiniTaur

Initially I felt the same, but from the demos alone (which wouldn't form any dead cert conclusion btw), so far the Minitaur sounds in another class.

...but, as Cromartie said 'We'll see!"

verve92 26th January 2012 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Arkadin (Post 7488778)
It's "couldn't care less" btw.

Sarcasm. should have been clearer.

cdog 26th January 2012 12:59 PM

There are already a couple threads in this very forum about it, Im not sure your discovery of it merited a new one, really not trying to be that guy man, but Im just saying bro. Juuuust sayin. Use the search, Luke.

And yes, it does look pretty ridiculous for $500. I preordered...

verve92 26th January 2012 01:10 PM

Hopefully moderator will see my post in this thread to delete.
not a software guy so didn't even think prior threads were about the Minibrute as it was not in other threads titles my bad tho

volumetrik 28th January 2012 11:34 AM

I really want to see the guts of this thing, I hope they haven't duped us...it could be just a pcb with like 2 chips and end up being softsynth in a chip heh

mfx 28th January 2012 12:03 PM

Im jumping on the Minibrute bandwagon...

Being relatively new to anologue in terms of CV gates etc on synths and I have always wanted the moog sound somehow, propectove thought, advice and views on using the minibrute and Minitaur to work together please? Considering if it's worth getting both.

Mr Arkadin 28th January 2012 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mfx (Post 7497216)
I have always wanted the moog sound somehow, propectove thought, advice and views on using the minibrute and Minitaur to work together please? Considering if it's worth getting both.

If you have the money it would be great combo. The Minibrute doesn't seem to cover Moog sound territory - it's single osc, has some great grunging features (supersaw detuning, metalizer, brute).

The classic Moog sound is at least two oscillators, so the Minitaur in tandem would be a nice contrast if you want a killer bass end. Also you could play it from the Minibrute's keyboard if you have no keyboard already (and you could use MIDI or CV/Gate).

For the same combined price though you could get a Macbeth Minimac, but you get no keyboard then.

spacefolklore 28th January 2012 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by volumetrik
I really want to see the guts of this thing, I hope they haven't duped us...it could be just a pcb with like 2 chips and end up being softsynth in a chip

If you really can tell the difference between analogue and software then you won't have any doubts that Minibrute isn't an attempt to dupe anybody.

It sounds analogue. I approved. heh

cresshead 28th January 2012 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Arkadin (Post 7497292)
If you have the money it would be great combo. The Minibrute doesn't seem to cover Moog sound territory - it's single osc, has some great grunging features (supersaw detuning, metalizer, brute).

The classic Moog sound is at least two oscillators, so the Minitaur in tandem would be a nice contrast if you want a killer bass end. Also you could play it from the Minibrute's keyboard if you have no keyboard already (and you could use MIDI or CV/Gate).

For the same combined price though you could get a Macbeth Minimac, but you get no keyboard then.

the Macbeth Micromac is listed at £995 last time i looked so is double the cost of a minibrute.

from another thread on micromac costing:
As you may, or may not, be aware- I plan to make two versions of this product. The first version is for those who wish to integrate the unit into their 3U eurorack modular systems- the second version will be a desktop version- the desktop version includes extra features such as casing, internal power supply (if possible) and a neat midi unit designed by John 'Kenton' Price. The module is planned to retail at £995.00GBP (please do a conversion to work out what your micromac will cost) - the desktop version which is still to be finalized will be the more expensive one- this price is to be established.

zahush76 28th January 2012 01:33 PM

It's micromac. Not minimac.

Mr Arkadin 28th January 2012 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cresshead (Post 7497338)
the Macbeth Micromac is listed at £995 last time i looked so is double the cost of a minibrute.

And your point? My answer was discussing two synths (Minibrute and Minitaur) that sell for £449 and £489 respectively, which as bad as my maths is, I think makes £938, unless you're calling me out on £57 difference.

Quote:

Originally Posted by zahush76 (Post 7497358)
It's micromac. Not minimac.

Oops, may bad. There are so many minis knocking around it's difficult to keep track. Repeat: Minitaur, Minibrute, Micromac... Minitaur, Minibrute, Micromac...

Got it.

Arcadia 28th January 2012 02:00 PM

I played it at NAMM and it's truly amazing. Great sound, great features and even the build quality is better than DSI, for example. These will fly off the shelves. I am getting one for sure!

gruvsyco 28th January 2012 03:34 PM

I'm interested in this box as well but, I think I'm going to wait to se if someone hacks more CV into it.

Dogboy73 28th January 2012 03:47 PM

Minibrute looks fantastic. Still sold on the Minitaur though. I like it's sound and features better. MIDI control over every parameter is a big plus for me. I want a Moog as well. But in an ideal World i'd really like to get both heh

mfx 28th January 2012 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dogboy73 (Post 7497676)
Minibrute looks fantastic. Still sold on the Minitaur though. I like it's sound and features better. MIDI control over every parameter is a big plus for me. I want a Moog as well. But in an ideal World i'd really like to get both heh

This is what has captured my eye with the minitaur. With no internal presets the midi function would possibly mean you could take a midi setting snapshot in your host ie Cubase. I can forsee either Moog or 3rd party dev's releasing a nice GUI to interface as a VST as the DSI Pro'08 has.

Regarding the Minibrute + Moog it seems, in my mind, a great combo add Virus TI, uhe Diva, PPG3, OPX, Zebra and a few other babies in the mix you're/I'm in for a treat. I recently sold on a Prophet 08 which was great but the filter just didnt quite deliver the low end in my mind. I have a massive array of VST plugins, like many I am missing the love of outboard hardware so the mini brute will be a secondary/master keyboard (along with an existing JD800) and routed with the MiniTaur. I have heard a lot of demos of the Mini and to be honest it's got, what I believe, a unique sound and good for leads. My mind is angling towards an otb and itb combo so looking forward to it.

I have seen the Macbeth and did consider it, for me I can't justify the price but it does look and sound interesting + I really could do with a small footprint synth keyboard.

I can't believe someone here is tearing the MiniBrute apart stating DSP/electronic circuitry instead of "True Analogue", confusing post without substantiation but hey ho we will see.

Just got to sway the mrs's I got a bargain, my local store quite happily gives me some letter head to dupe a 'deal' invoice for her lmfao...tfft grimm

Look forward to some end users feedback once these mini monkeys are released :) DV247 are showing the MiniBrute already available in UK wonder if that's an error, thought they were due out in March/April?

Now if I can only pimp another 10K+ for a Kronos, Voyager, DSI Tempest and some acoustic treatment!!!!

SecretSociety 30th January 2012 01:40 PM

Arturia MiniBrute @NODE 2012 - YouTube!

Here is some great Minibrute performance,
I think there is enough character compared to a dsi mopho for example.

cub005@yahoo.co. 31st January 2012 08:55 AM

Beautiful demo there - that's the first I've heard to really open up the palette of sounds its capable of.

SecretSociety 31st January 2012 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cub005@yahoo.co. (Post 7508361)
Beautiful demo there - that's the first I've heard to really open up the palette of sounds its capable of.

this!

Demokid 31st January 2012 11:56 AM

It should have had one more octave to be really useful as a live sizer. :(

Kind regards
Demokid

cub005@yahoo.co. 31st January 2012 01:25 PM

sometimes limitations make you work better .. ;)

zahush76 31st January 2012 01:49 PM

Might be so - but this makes me wonder though.
What's the range on these oscilators?
There isn't "fine tune" or "tune". The only control over this is below the mod wheel and pitch bend. There's centre, two octaves up and two octaves down with the buttons.
If this is a bass and lead machine - than what's the lowest note (less of a problem since there's the sub osc) and what's the highest?!

cub005@yahoo.co. 31st January 2012 02:07 PM

hmm, sounds like a job for someone who's had a look around it at NAMM.

The new demos Arturia have posted on here ( scroll down a bit ) are really impressive :

Arturia - Musical Instruments | Details

e-smile-z 31st January 2012 06:03 PM

the minitaur and the minibrute should be a nice pair!!
i mean the minibrute has a keyboard and cv outs and the minitaur cv in and midi in... could be a nice combo...

mfx 31st January 2012 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by e-smile-z (Post 7509701)
the minitaur and the minibrute should be a nice pair!!
i mean the minibrute has a keyboard and cv outs and the minitaur cv in and midi in... could be a nice combo...

howdy that's the way I'm heading and as a minimidicontroller (wonder if the Moog will be assignable?) + QuNeo...fun fun FuN