Login / Register

Arturia Minibrute
New Reply
Subscribe
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Banned

You have impeccable taste good sir, I've also recently bought the Minibrute, Minitaur and Shruthi-1 although none of mine have arrived yet either and tbh I'm nervous as hell about my ability to put the Shruthi together.
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDEED View Post
This things gonna change the game with its pricing alone.....im not jazzed on it, but i see how itll make a tactile no memory analog easily available to all
I may not buy it, but I love the idea that a lot of ppl will, which means a lot of music is going to start being made with analog synths again. I think thats great for music overall, esp in a synth-driven industry that music is currently in.
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxisaxis View Post
Likewise. I'm really enticed by the raw trebbly sound. If it sounds bright and harsh that's great. I can always get a minitaur to do the other stuff.

Thats one of the things attracting me to it, that its got that bright/trebly sound you expect from analog synths, that modern Moogs, specifically the LP, seem to lack.

Whats got me hesitant is its a software company and some of the demos have a similar sound to the arturia minimoog softsynths. Whether thats a credit to that software sounding like analog, or a discredit to the minibrute sounding like software, I haven't been able to figure out yet. Going to have to play it in person first I think. Thats the advantage of these new analogs right off the bat, is you can play them all in person at the store, vs trusting some guy on ebay for a vintage one and stuck going off demos on youtube.
7th March 2012
Old 7th March 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by G. Kaye View Post
I may not buy it, but I love the idea that a lot of ppl will, which means a lot of music is going to start being made with analog synths again. I think thats great for music overall, esp in a synth-driven industry that music is currently in.
It is also great to see Korg releasing analog products.

Makes me wonder:
1) Aren't we close enough to the Singularity that consumer computers music should be closing the gap?
2) Where are the next generation of physical modeling and novel synth methods?
3) When is the next analog crash coming so I can get cheap analog gear no one wants?

7th March 2012
Old 7th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzerfaust View Post
3) When is the next analog crash coming so I can get cheap analog gear no one wants?

I am seeing quite a lot of vintage synths on the market that won't sell at the expensive prices that sellers are asking. I hope/think it's because the many new analog synths are penetrating the market and relieving the need to buy vintage.

Hardware synths: Korg Polysix, Korg Lambda, Tom Oberheim SEM, Moog Minitaur, DSI Mopho
7th March 2012
Old 7th March 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausgeno View Post
You have impeccable taste good sir, I've also recently bought the Minibrute, Minitaur and Shruthi-1 although none of mine have arrived yet either and tbh I'm nervous as hell about my ability to put the Shruthi together.
RE the shruthi- Yeah man. You and me both. Everywhere I look everyone is saying it's pretty easy and only took 3 or 4 hours to complete. But it also seems that at some point almost everyone had to hit up the forums for help, too. Either way, I think it's time for me to try it out. I'm excited about putting it together, I'll be pretty damn proud of myself once I'm bumpin arpeggiators from it later on.
verve92
8th March 2012
Old 8th March 2012
Lives for gear

MI-NI-BRUTE!! MI-NI-BRUTE!!! EVERYONE WITH ME! MI-NI-BRUTE!!!!!!!

Has me acting like a schmuck on GS

To those who have not seen this demo:

Prolly be a year before I can get one! Still cannot believe the features!
I am already thinking about what effcts I'm going to use. I am thinking the all analog T.C. Electronics Nova System. Gotta get this girl a hubby.....
Ibanez Artcore A85 JazzBox, Ibanez SZR720BB, 1989 Gibson Les Paul Standard, 1981 Gibson ES-335, 1986 Fender JapStrat.
Effects:
Roland RE-201 Space Echo, MXR Carbon Copy Delay, MXR Analog Stereo Chorus, Digitech RP-1000 MFX
Amps: Fender HR Deluxe 112, Peavey KB100
Recording:
Zoom HD16 Hardware Recorder, Cubase 5, Yamaha HS50m Monitors
8th March 2012
Old 8th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHayduke View Post
I am seeing quite a lot of vintage synths on the market that won't sell at the expensive prices that sellers are asking. I hope/think it's because the many new analog synths are penetrating the market and relieving the need to buy vintage.
There's no way someone wouldn't consider something like a Minitaur or a Minibrute (or something like that) even if they're primarily looking at vintage. There's a lot new gear promises which has nothing to do with sound, like reliability and a warranty, for a start. These will be cutting into vintage, there's no doubt about it.

I basically have to get one of these. A million people could say to me it sounds like crap and I'd still wanna get it
8th March 2012
Old 8th March 2012
Gear Head

Is there any info on envelope times in miliseconds?
8th March 2012
Old 8th March 2012
Gear maniac

Wasn't this supposed to ship by now?
8th March 2012
Old 8th March 2012
Gear addict

no, april
8th March 2012
Old 8th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by grawk View Post
no, april
First of April, haha.
8th March 2012
Old 8th March 2012
Lives for gear

So, can you control another synth with this via the CV out? Could you play an xpander with it?
8th March 2012
Old 8th March 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sctt_stone View Post
So, can you control another synth with this via the CV out? Could you play an xpander with it?
Should be able to, I plan to play a Minitaur w/it. The CV outs and Ins between the 2 match perfectly
8th March 2012
Old 8th March 2012
Lives for gear

That will be an impressive pair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post
Should be able to, I plan to play a Minitaur w/it. The CV outs and Ins between the 2 match perfectly
8th March 2012
Old 8th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxisaxis View Post
I basically have to get one of these. A million people could say to me it sounds like crap and I'd still wanna get it
Ditto

I'm mostly buying it to show my support and respect for Arturia for doing this. At the same time I'm hoping that high sales figures will encourage the bigger manufacturers to follow
8th March 2012
Old 8th March 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeProducer View Post
First of April, haha.
Ironic. Well, can't wait to see it in actual hands of my slutz...right now it seems to have more hype than Peyton Manning and like him, no one seems to be absolutely sure exactly what it will be able to do.

But it's all promising....
8th March 2012
Old 8th March 2012
Lives for gear

8th March 2012
Old 8th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaxmalloy View Post
Ironic. Well, can't wait to see it in actual hands of my slutz...right now it seems to have more hype than Peyton Manning and like him, no one seems to be absolutely sure exactly what it will be able to do.

I wonder if the Minibrute will do the sounds where the sh101 is so strong at, that is basses with high resonance tuned low and not a 100% key tracking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaxmalloy View Post

I was basically referring to a backorder notification from Musicians Friend, that it will arrive as follows: "Order Now! Expected to ship 7/6/12". So from Mid April it shifted to July (!!!). I, being critical as usual, have been hated in this thread like never before, but this just SUCKS. How can a company make such a hype around a product no one has even tried and is at the end unable to deliver its product? I am going to cancel my order. I don't think it's just a problem of MF ...
8th March 2012
Old 8th March 2012
Lives for gear

toys out of the pram.
8th March 2012
Old 8th March 2012
Lives for gear

Ok I checked it out: things are not that bad. Only if you make a new order, yours will be delayed to July, but existing orders are processed as expected, that means end of April.
9th March 2012
Old 9th March 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeProducer View Post
Ok I checked it out: things are not that bad. Only if you make a new order, yours will be delayed to July, but existing orders are processed as expected, that means end of April.
The good news HP is that you're in that first batch. I missed the first batch of Minitaur shipments at Novamusik by 6 people, but apparently some people haven't called them back about their pre-orders yet, so I may get one sooner rather than later

Moog bass + Minibrute or Minibrute + Freqbox. Both sound like a lot of fun to me. I need to get a CP251 so I can run all that at once
9th March 2012
Old 9th March 2012
Lives for gear

13th March 2012
Old 13th March 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

The more and more demos I hear the more and more I hate its tone, its nasaly, in a mid range way, and the tone is just bleh, i mean it sounds so cheap, the filter is bleh, the osc bleh, so unimpressive from the demos.

Defiantly not buying this for sure. Minitaur sounds way better and does way less.

Minimac kicks them all in the balls and takes their lunch money.

^^ this is the thing to get!
13th March 2012
Old 13th March 2012
Lives for gear

I like the nasally harsh sound of it.
13th March 2012
Old 13th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disease Factory View Post

The more and more demos I hear the more and more I hate its tone, its nasaly, in a mid range way, and the tone is just bleh, i mean it sounds so cheap, the filter is bleh, the osc bleh, so unimpressive from the demos
Demos are not accurate way to judge because they've been recorded with a tiny little mic and you're listening to a digital recording with a soundcard, this loses the warmth, detail etc

and that last video you mentioned that has FX on it
13th March 2012
Old 13th March 2012
Banned

Thx for posting those vids DF, I hadn't seen them. Wish someone would answer the damn phone in that first vid, and slap the guy whistling too, but I ****en loved some of the sounds they were getting!! Can't wait for mine to ship!
13th March 2012
Old 13th March 2012
Lives for gear

This guy in the video seems to have always the brute factor on.

And if you add sawtooth and square, you might get this kind of midrange tone.

Yes, it sounds horrible most of the time. I don't know what gives people the right to organize online magazines and create these garbage videos. I wished the Minibrute trailer really reflects the sound.

The micromac does sound better in this and other videos. But it can do those old sounds only, but very convincing. And the guy has always reverb or delay on. And there are some moments where you hear some spectacular tone. But its a 3 VCO design ...
13th March 2012
Old 13th March 2012
Banned

The micromac sounds amazing to be sure, but yep, effects on top and costs more than 3 times the price of the minibrute, so I'm not sure why people compare them.

Those minibrute vids are mostly bad sounds, but occasionally, just occasionally the guy sweeps the knob to the right spot for a split second and I go YES THAT'S THE SOUND and then he cranks something else to max and ruins it, but I know the ill sounds are in the to be had, I've heard them even if it was only momentarily.
13th March 2012
Old 13th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by verve92 View Post
MI-NI-BRUTE!! MI-NI-BRUTE!!! EVERYONE WITH ME! MI-NI-BRUTE!!!!!!!

Has me acting like a schmuck on GS

To those who have not seen this demo:

Prolly be a year before I can get one! Still cannot believe the features!
I am already thinking about what effcts I'm going to use. I am thinking the all analog T.C. Electronics Nova System. Gotta get this girl a hubby.....
That was an excellent demo! This is how synths should be demonstrated (hint hint MFB-DominionX ;-) ).

This synth has excellent features and a cool sound. Two LFOs (why do we always get one LFO in cheap synths? I want one for PWM/FX and one for bog standard vibrato! Kudos to Arturia for this). The envelopes with a fast/slow switch - excellent. The wave shaping for each osc wave. Brute Factor seems to work wonders with teh filter...etc. This demo sold it to me.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search