Arturia Minibrute
Old 28th February 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeProducer View Post
you must make love when first feelings are strong ... I can imagine Minibrute looses its fame or customer interest before it even arrives in the store. Suddenly it looks like a cheap bitch.
We get it. You're not a fan. You sound like a 12 year old in a PS3 vs XBOX360 flame war. Let us enjoy our countdown til we get our new gear in peace. We'll make sure to report back to you how crappy it is and what a poor investment it was and how we're all so stupid at that time.
Old 28th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
. looks stupid to put Minibrute in a gear list before touching it, what do you think?
no, it doesn't

i have mine pre ordered..i've paid for it...it's just not in my home yet.

but it will be soon!
Old 29th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cresshead View Post
no, it doesn't

i have mine pre ordered..i've paid for it...it's just not in my home yet.

but it will be soon!
If you are one of the first 1000 on its initial run. I am concerned many of us will be waiting a while.
Old 1st March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by verve92 View Post
If you are one of the first 1000 on its initial run. I am concerned many of us will be waiting a while.
We'll find out soon if that 'first 1000' actually exists or if it was some BS to entice people to make a lot of preorders.
Old 1st March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beany View Post
Yeah, I think Arturia were quite canny .. to offer something different yet complimentary.
I still thinks it was a poor choice to call it anything 'Mini' though. An obvious reference to a Moog synth. Kinda lame imo.
Old 1st March 2012
Banned

Should've called it the iBrute.
Old 2nd March 2012
Gear maniac

It was close to be named "Et tu, Brute?", but in the last minute decided to be "MiniBrute", cause... guess what....

...it's small synth and has a "brutal" sound!
Old 2nd March 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHayduke View Post
An obvious reference to a Moog synth.
Why it isn't obvious reference to MiniKorg? It shares much more DNA with 700 than with effin MiniMoog.
Old 2nd March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Maybe I get mine before you get yours? Then I can report back to you
Countdown? Don't forget to buy Champagne ... looks stupid to put Minibrute in a gear list before touching it, what do you think?
I don't get people like you, you're crapping on people for being excited before a synth comes out, yet YOU are AGAINST a synth that... wait for it... hasn't come out yet.

And as for the name, seriously people? I guess that's all there is to talk about.

-a
Old 2nd March 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHayduke View Post
I still thinks it was a poor choice to call it anything 'Mini' though. An obvious reference to a Moog synth. Kinda lame imo.
Well it IS rather small. The Minimoog was not the first or last thing to be called "mini". Heck, the Mini Cooper predates the Minimoog Don't get your panties in a bunch over nothing.

HomeProducer sounds like he should hang out w/Disease Factory sometime. He can rant about the MB and DF can rant about his old school Rolands. It will be perfect
Old 2nd March 2012
mfx
Lives for gear

I think people are bored and grouchy as the sugar high wears off post deposit paid and anticipation of hands on the product.

I was really into this when i first heard about it and ssaw it on NAMM, to be honest since hearing several of the demos, while impressed, I am not convinced and want to do a hands on demo before buying. Value for money initially seemed great and I got very enthusiastic, now waining. Saying that I am confident there will be one sitting next to me in no time when readily available.

There is something in the sound that is not sitting right to my ears but that's the problem with a lot of video demos on the net I guess. Saying that the Minitaur is still appealing.

Hope DV have some demo units in they don't sale, unlikely, but can hope.
Old 2nd March 2012
Lives for gear

It's a typical bind -

I'm impressed with the features of the minibrute but not really impressed with the sound in a single demo I've seen so far.

I'm impressed with the sound of the minitaur in every video I've seen so far but not impressed with the lack of features such as no PWM, restricted playing range, no CV outs, especially for the LFO. Although Moog is notoriously stingy with their CV outs on pretty much everything.

Regards,
Frank
Old 2nd March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Ocelot View Post
We'll find out soon if that 'first 1000' actually exists or if it was some BS to entice people to make a lot of preorders.
I read on another forum that the first run was going to be 1000 (it was taken from another forum where the engineer commented and was translated from french) and now I'm hearing its been pushed to 1500 units.
Old 2nd March 2012
Lives for gear

I think it's good that the Minibrute and the Minitaur, for two analogue monos sound so different.

They're inexpensive enough that many people could have both.
Old 2nd March 2012
LWG
Gear nut

Re: thread topic

Hello,

The demos of the MiniBrute show a pretty versatile and useful instrument.
Hats off to Arturia for taking the foray into analog electronics.
I have no problem with it not having patch memory (and I'm a fan of patch storage),
but I am a little puzzled with the pairing of such a flexible sound engine with
only a two-octave keybed.
Typically, most 70's synths that had two-octave keyboards were used as bass machines.
This seems to do decent bass sounds, but its strongest suit seems to be colorful
leads (at least based on the demos) and given this, it raises a question:

If you've designed a sound engine that cranks out a wide range of raunchy and
characterful leads with what appears to be an appreciable degree of expressive
nuance, why package that engine into a form factor (keyboard range) thats only
optimally useable for bass lines, and very limiting for what it seems to
do best??...lead lines/melodies. This seems incongruent.
Maximum portability as a marketing appeal is understandable, and I suppose
that many would just bring another keyboard and use midi to make it more
playable however, thats the thing: Once a stock keybed is too short to be optimally
playable as a lead instrument and you're forced to bring along another full-sized
controller just to make so, the portability factor is no longer an advantage,
because you're now having to bring additional gear.
Arturia wouldn't need to change the main board layout of the MB to have
a three octave kb variant of this machine. With the pitch and mod
wheels left in the same location, the expanded casing would still be
no longer than a Nord lead or the Korg Poly 800; still portable,
just more playable.
Hopefully, they will sell well, and Arturia will see the viability in
offering MB in an expanded version.

Regards,

-L
Old 2nd March 2012
Lives for gear

I agree with you LWG. 3-4 octaves would make it a lot more versatile as a live instrument, but manufacturers seem to believe everyone wants to carry around their keyboards in backpacks/laptop purses nowadays...
Old 2nd March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Legacy View Post
I agree with you LWG. 3-4 octaves would make it a lot more versatile as a live instrument, but manufacturers seem to believe everyone wants to carry around their keyboards in backpacks/laptop purses nowadays...
I know it'd bug other people, but I don't mind the small keyboard. I'm a poor piano player, but I like to think my synth chops are developing. To me this includes knowing how to navigate around a small-sized keyboard, because with genuine synth performance they keys are only a part of the control. No doubt they've got octave buttons on the MB, which I have found I enjoy incorporating into my performance technique. But this is a personal preference no doubt.
Old 2nd March 2012
Gear maniac

I would buy this synth without keyboard. Sounds and features are really nice. Audio IN, CV and Gate IN. Keyboard is too short IMO and I already have few. If they sell module version I'm definitely in.
Old 2nd March 2012
Gear interested

With a bit of experience with synths, you can judge from online demos whether a synth is good for you or not. Instead of deriding others for forming opinions without touching the synth, that's a skill worth learning because the number of high street synth shops isn't growing. I bought all my gear based on online demos and I'm very happy with it.

As to the short keyboard, I agree - it's not good enough for any serious playing. Despite this shortcoming, Minibrute happens to fit ideally within my setup as a third synth for transitions, sfx and simpler fill-ins. My other synths have enough keys and I prefer self contained instruments to expanders.
Old 2nd March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I am against overexcitement also. Especially by people not even holding the synth in their
hands and already regarding it as a main part of their setup. What if they don't like it after all?
a) Musicians can't help being excited about getting a new instrument.

b) There's no way of knowing for sure whether you'll like a synth until you've had it sitting in your room for at least a few weeks. Some burn hot and you stop using them so much later, some grow on you after time.

There's no such thing as making the perfect decision about an instrument, unless you fluke it.
Old 2nd March 2012
Mr Arkadin

Quote:
I am against overexcitement also.
Yes, we wouldn't want any of that business now would we?
Old 2nd March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes, I agree. And maybe the capacitors, tubes, transistors and mechanics of the Minibrute need half a year of burn-in time. So let's wait ...

Ahhh, I see now. You're not particularly for it OR against it... You're here to stir up crap for fun and get some sort of ego fulfillment from creating an online persona that you probably don't get in real life.

Yeah, I know who you are. Good luck with that.
Old 2nd March 2012
Lives for gear
which gives you the entitlement to be a dick..

got it.
Old 2nd March 2012
Lives for gear
so humble..
Old 2nd March 2012
Lives for gear
you had to write something... after you've made your point over and over ...

btw I saw you edit that post..
Old 2nd March 2012
Lives for gear
how about wait til you play it?

I heard the Dave Smith stuff and thought it sounded pretty good... in the flesh I hated them. Take your own advice?
Old 2nd March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel View Post
how about wait til you play it?

I heard the Dave Smith stuff and thought it sounded pretty good... in the flesh I hated them. Take your own advice?
So you hate the tempest and the prophet 08?
Old 2nd March 2012
Lives for gear

Obviously judging only from the demos so far, I don't like much the Minibrute sound, I like the Minitaur (much more than the Phatty) and I also like the Dominion X...will wait till the Musikmesse to play them in person though...
Old 2nd March 2012
Lives for gear

Haters gonna hate. I dont give a **** if you like my toys.. they're mine.

having a doctorate doesn't exclude you from being an immature, antagonistic ****** bag... acting this way just screams of insecurity, fear and self loathing

Why so angry? Music and all instruments are worthwhile and capable of beauty

I know.. i forget.. this is the internet.. where the unfulfilled act out in some vain attempt for attention

Sent from my DROIDX using Gearslutz App
Old 3rd March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes, I agree. And maybe the capacitors, tubes, transistors and mechanics of the Minibrute need half a year of burn-in time. So let's wait ...

Tubes
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search