Login / Register

Kurzweil PC3 series - how many user patches?
New Reply
Subscribe
picur85
21st January 2012
Old 21st January 2012
Gear nut

Kurzweil PC3 series - how many user patches?

Hi!

I'm planning to get a used workstation around $1200-1500 and I heared a lot of praise about the Kurzweil PC3 series. What is especially surprising about them is the "16,000 locations for user objects." (the LE and K models) and "2,000 locations for user objects." (PC3 models) at their User Memory on the Kurz website.

Product: PC3K8 | Kurzweil Music Systems

Does it mean that they can store so many user patches, however complex they are? And can switch between them seamlessly with e.g. a foot pedal? It seems quite strange, since the Motif XF can store "only" 4x128, the Kronos around 1700-1700 programs and combis and the Fantom G around 1000?
21st January 2012
Old 21st January 2012
Gear addict

One patch is one patch, no matter how complex it is. The "user objects" category spans all types of things that can be created by the user — at least patches, setups and V.A.S.T. algorithms. I only got my PC361 a month ago and I haven't gotten to the bottom of these things yet, though.
21st January 2012
Old 21st January 2012
Gear addict

The PC3 can store up to 2048 of any single object, IIRC. Those can be of any complexity. That means you can store up to 2048 Setups, 2048 Effects Chains, 2048 Algorithms, 2048 Arpeggio note patterns, 2048 Arpeggio velocity patterns, 2048 Songs, and so on. I'm currently using about 150 of the Program slots, when I do a backup the resulting file is about 440kb (that includes some song data). The physical limit for storage is 64mb, the OS and factory presets take up about 12 mb or so. So yeah, there's a lot of space available for user stuff.

My YouTube channel -- http://www.youtube.com/user/poserp -- Kurzweil PC3 overviews, synthesis tutorials, soundware demos, etc. EMU XL-7 videos coming soon.
21st January 2012
Old 21st January 2012
Gear addict

^ On my unit the Master/Objects section says "MaxUserObjects: 2000", and the "UserObjects:" counter above it seems to reflect the total number of all different types of objects I've created. Am I interpreting things wrong here?
21st January 2012
Old 21st January 2012
Lives for gear

Most recent OS updates support up to 16000 user objects, so make sure you update.

And yes, Master->OBJECTS page tells you how many of ALL of user object types you have stored (programs, setups, FX chains, songs, algorithms, etc.).
picur85
22nd January 2012
Old 22nd January 2012
Gear nut

Thanks for all the help guys, it seems a hardware workstation still owns any kind of computer as a musical instrument, at least for a keyboardist
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search