EQ for synth piano/organ/strings?
New Reply
Subscribe
Mike H
2nd May 2006
Old 2nd May 2006
Lives for gear

EQ for synth piano/organ/strings?

I often use synth piano, organ or strings as background for many songs, with vocals and lead guitar alternately in the center up front (R&B, light rock, pop, etc.). Normally I send this synth track from DAW to outboard in stereo, pan relatively wide, thinking of it much like background vocals.

I am currently running very lightly thru MC77's, then thru X81's to EQ away from the lead guitar. Sometimes I use H3000, DSP-V77, or DSP 7000 for effects. I never use the X81 preamps, so it is really a waste to have the X81's devoted 100% to this function.

I'm wondering if there aren't better EQ alternatives for getting a nice soft background. For example, how about the Summit EQP-200B? Might this be a good fit? Others?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Thanks.
Mike H
2nd May 2006
Old 2nd May 2006
Lives for gear

No suggestions?

I just looked at the EQ options on the Summit EQP-200B, and I'm not sure the EQ'ing is flexible enough for EQ'ing so as too avoid conflict with the lead guitar. Not much ability in the mids.

Nobody else working with synth keyboards this way?
2nd May 2006
Old 2nd May 2006
Lives for gear

Can't go wrong ever with a GML or Massive Passive. thumbsup I've heard good things about the Summit as well.
2nd May 2006
Old 2nd May 2006
Lives for gear

I'd sure like to get my hands on a Lil' Freq and a Mini-Massive, now that you mention it.
Mike H
3rd May 2006
Old 3rd May 2006
Lives for gear

I have a Massive Passive, but it stays on the vocals and snare.

I was hoping to generate a little cash from a change, since the X81 pre's are darn good and I never use them. I was hoping to sell the X81's to someone who could use the pre's and buy something a little less expensive. A 2nd MP won't quite fit that bill!!! Although I agree, it would work fine.
3rd May 2006
Old 3rd May 2006
Lives for gear

lilfreq is cool.

Most of my eq has gone plugs lately. I am probably in the minority here, but I have been really digging urs eq's. That's basically all I use right now. I have some friends that really love the ssl eq's from waves. I am gonna check those out soon.

For me I have been really liking those eq's it's easy and I don't really feel like I am missing out on anything.
3rd May 2006
Old 3rd May 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H
I'm wondering if there aren't better EQ alternatives for getting a nice soft background. For example, how about the Summit EQP-200B? Might this be a good fit? Others?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Thanks.
Try a compressor and the right reverb to soften things up instead of EQ.

And mixing everything though a stereo out is asking for trouble(my opinion only).
3rd May 2006
Old 3rd May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by numrologst
lilfreq is cool.

Most of my eq has gone plugs lately. I am probably in the minority here, but I have been really digging urs eq's. That's basically all I use right now. I have some friends that really love the ssl eq's from waves. I am gonna check those out soon.

For me I have been really liking those eq's it's easy and I don't really feel like I am missing out on anything.
Those Plugs wouldn't happen to be freeware would they?
Mike H
3rd May 2006
Old 3rd May 2006
Lives for gear

Thrill, could you please elaborate a little more?
(1) I have been using MC77 and either H3000, DSP7000, or DSP-V77 for effects. Other suggestions for trying?
(2) What is the concern about stereo out to processing?

You have me worried about the stereo outs.
I say "stereo out", but the tracks aren't actually true stereo. I am just using two outs from one mono track. I usually go out of the DAW with two outs with a few of my tracks to enable me to (a) parallel process and (b) mult the two outs to different delays/reverbs. This is based on some of the great advice you have given in other threads. I need two outs to do this, since I go out to a patchbay, mult to delays/reverbs at the patchbay, and then go to Folcroms for analog summing.

Usually I am using multiple delays/reverbs on key tracks that are both panned center (vocals, lead guitar). Then I pan the reverb outs differently. But in the case of the synth keyboards I am panning wide right/left to get a wide background. Is the wide panning the issue, leading to possible stereo image problems?

More help here would be greatly appreciated. I have enough trouble getting good mixes without causing myself problems!

Thanks for your help, Thrill, I really appreciate it.
Mike
3rd May 2006
Old 3rd May 2006
Lives for gear

a great tracking eq is the great river eq 2-nv..i love the sound of that unit when tracking...I use it on every project. great for synth
8th August 2006
Old 8th August 2006

I got good results using a Siemens and a Sphere.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search