Building a Eurorack modular system
New Reply
Subscribe
Rogue Ai
15th January 2012
Old 15th January 2012
digital ears love analog

Building a Eurorack modular system

I have a Doepfer A-100 mini case that has an A-145 lfo and a BLC Diode Ladder Filter. I have some cash that I have made from ebay sales. Right now my budget is $160. What should I get next? Should I get a larger case for when I get more modules or a midi-to-cv converter module?

If I get the midi-to-cv converter I could automate the parameters from my "lfo-filterbox" from my DAW but I will need a larger case for the future.

If I got the case I could sell my mini case on ebay for my module fund.
Sampler: E-MU ESI-2000
fx: Filter Queen, Ibanez FL9, Rat 2,Boss PH-1R, Chorus, Wah, DigiTech MSP4, DL3 Delay, Alesis 3630
Daws: Reason 6.5, Cubase Studio 5
Software: Tracks 3, PPG Wave 2.V, Attack, D-Pole, Chipsounds, Synth Maker

http://rogue-ai.bandcamp.com/

https://soundcloud.com/rogue-ai/music-of-the-mind-of-the-soul
15th January 2012
Old 15th January 2012
Lives for gear

Get your arse to Muff's.

Apart from that, how many hp do you have spare at the moment? And spare cash (/cash flow)

I think a Midi/CV convertor is a good option, but you can get away without one for a while if need be. I'm just now getting a Doepfer A-190-2 Midi/CV after about 300hp worth of modules, but am definitely looking forward to it so I can trigger from my DAW.

If you get a bigger case, then you'll have to buy more modules to fill it. (Not always a bad thing)

I'd say grab the Midi/CV first, then go for a bigger case when you have a bit more spare cash.

Alternatively, you could have a look at Silent Way and use your existing soundcard to send CV to your modules?

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Reptil; 15th January 2012 at 11:10 PM.. Reason: link removed
15th January 2012
Old 15th January 2012

hmmm It depends really on your cash flow doesn't it? if you'll not have the $€ for new modules, a rack would sit there, empty.
if you do then get the bigger rack first. 6u (a doubledecker) is a nice format (not too big not too small).

for europe DIY go here or here or here
other parts as busboards and PSU are available too; in the USA here and here

For new readymade see here and here and here and here

for midi->cv gate see here or here (also USB) or for USB/Toslink/SPDIF here

for sale EURORACK MODULAR CASE

Rogue Ai
15th January 2012
Old 15th January 2012
digital ears love analog

Well, I was looking at the A-190-2 midi-to-cv module. It fits within my current price range.

I also have my DX9 and microKorg listed on ebay so if those sell I could get some more modules. I don't use my DX9 at all and I only use the vocoder on the microKorg. I'm just going to use Reason's vocoder.

I think I'm going to get this case: http://www.analoguehaven.com/tiptopa...appyendingkit/.
15th January 2012
Old 15th January 2012

that's a nice case too. I think the a-190-2 would fit in there.

With what are you going to use it? if you're sequencing from the computer (using Numerology software for instance) go for the Expert Sleepers, with like Rusty said, Silent Way software.
If you have an USB-> midi interface already, lots of ports free, or a standalone box (MPC, ES-1 etc.) as sequencer (instead of the computer) go for a midi interface.

I think the a-190-2 would fit in that tiptop.
It depends a little on what you'll use it for, but IMHO if you go for midi->cv gate get an interface with a clock and reset. you'll have much more possibillities later on. (clock dividers, subsequencers etc.)
a-190 works, is rather big and deep, so is the Kenton eurorack module.
you'll need a deeper case then. I'd go for a Kenton
Rogue Ai
15th January 2012
Old 15th January 2012
digital ears love analog

I have a midi interface already, and I'll use Cubase for the clock signal. It's just going to be a simple starter system with a VCO, LFO,VCF,and ADSR (2x).

My interface has SPIDF so this could work: http://www.expert-sleepers.com/es4.html. Though, I'd rather use a midi-to-cv as I already have a hardware midi sequencer and I want to play my system using a keyboard without having the pc connected.
16th January 2012
Old 16th January 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Ai View Post
I have a midi interface already, and I'll use Cubase for the clock signal. It's just going to be a simple starter system with a VCO, LFO,VCF,and ADSR (2x).
yes but that could grow. i've never met anyone who's eurorack remained empty. BEWARE addictive LOL

Quote:
My interface has SPIDF so this could work: Expert Sleepers - ES-4 SPDIF/CV Interface. Though, I'd rather use a midi-to-cv as I already have a hardware midi sequencer and I want to play my system using a keyboard without having the pc connected.
this Kenton then, or the a-190-2 if you don't need clock and reset.

I found a video about a Vermona and also a Kilpatrick, but that'd be overkill (and quite big)
Rogue Ai
16th January 2012
Old 16th January 2012
digital ears love analog

My lfo module has a reset in. That would mean that my midi-to-cv interface would need to have reset correct?

This seems to be a cheap solution for two adsr: a n a l o g u e h a v e n.

I uploaded an image which shows what my system may look like though I'm open to suggestions on swapping modules. Please no ridiculously expensive ones.
Attached Thumbnails
Building a Eurorack modular system-my-system.jpg  
16th January 2012
Old 16th January 2012
Gear interested

Eurorack system - How to start?

I would like to start this adventure with sound synthesis. I've never had any synth. My friend recommended to me to start at the Eurorack system, what do you think, is it a good idea?

You tell me what should I do first (except learning sound synthesis of the books), what to buy?

thanks,
16th January 2012
Old 16th January 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmn View Post
I would like to start this adventure with sound synthesis. I've never had any synth.
Then I don't know if it's such a good idea.

Quote:
My friend recommended to me to start at the Eurorack system, what do you think, is it a good idea?
What do you know about it already?

Eurorack is a format. It's not a brand. It defines the size of modules and the power required, and the type of patch cables and signals. Various manufacturers build modules for it.

Muff's forum has a discussion forum about it; the Planner ( Eurorack Modular Synth Planner ) can help you with assembling a system.

Quote:
You tell me what should I do first (except learning sound synthesis of the books), what to buy?
What is your budget?

The first thing I'd do would be building a clone of a simple 2-osc subtractive monophonic synthesizer. Two oscillators, a mixer, a filter, two envelopes and an LFO, plus any required interfacing (MIDI/CV converters).

But before that, I'd really consider carefully whether this is a good idea in the first place. What do you already have in terms of other musical equipment? DAW? Monitors? MIDI keyboard/controller? Any other instruments and effects?

Last edited by Reptil; 16th January 2012 at 01:26 PM.. Reason: removed direct generic link
16th January 2012
Old 16th January 2012

Quote:
My lfo module has a reset in. That would mean that my midi-to-cv interface would need to have reset correct?
nope, not necessary. you can do that with any trigger (basically a pulse/square wave or something close to it (see the other thread about triggers and gates)
since the a-190-2 only has one gate out, there you run into your first obstacle; if you want the LFO to start at the start of the note you double (mult - multiply) the gate signal and feed it into the LFO reset input. The LFO will then start it's wave neatly synchronised to the "note on" message that you play on your keyboard.

Quote:
This seems to be a cheap solution for two adsr: a n a l o g u e h a v e n.I uploaded an image which shows what my system may look like though I'm open to suggestions on swapping modules. Please no ridiculously expensive ones.
Never heard anyone complain about these MFB envelopes. It's cheap because the materials used are cheap, but it's not crap at all.
Nice Diode filter! Didn't even know that one. Eurorack goes so damn fast every week there's 3 new modules out there. Pimps working overtime

I'd include a mult, so you can distribute CV to different modules, like the passive a-180 or the active .BAM, active so the voltage is the same on every output, so it keeps notes straight when you have more VCOs later. There's also "stackable" cables, but these are sold out most of the time... (TipTop brand)
You'll also need more than one VCA. Doepfer and Intellijel have excellent double VCA's. Malekko Wiard also has a simple but good sounding one.
And you'll need a mixer at some point. I'd take a look at Intellijel, Doepfer. A simple one to mix CV signals. (can't do that in midi!!!) Later add a higher quality audio (exponential) mixer when the system grows.

As you know I'd get a Kenton or a-190 midi-cv gate module.
Maybe stick with the a-190-2 and then later add an Expert Sleepers ES-4 ??
you'll then be able to use BOTH at the same time, and even mix the outputs to go into modules (play with your keyboard to the a-190-2 over a sequence coming from the computer through the ES-4)

I'm merging another thread into this one. Because it's a simular discussion, hope you don't mind.
16th January 2012
Old 16th January 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmn View Post
I would like to start this adventure with sound synthesis. I've never had any synth. My friend recommended to me to start at the Eurorack system, what do you think, is it a good idea?

thanks,
I think it's a VERY good idea to start with a modular as first synthesizer.
Not only is it easy to see, and hear what's going on, it's much easier to learn basic synthesis theory on it. you'll have a grasp on things much sooner than with any other synth. Though... yes, there is somewhat of a learning curve.

ok, you got to do some research yourself, since it's possible to configure your own synth from the ground up, there's a LOT of different options..

Next up is the budget. How much money do you want to invest right now, and what do you want to invest in the future? Determine that first and STICK WIHT IT!!

Continuing from Yoozer's storty..

Any synth has roughly four parts. the playing surface or communication to a playing surface seperate, this can be a piano keyboard, or MPC type pads, or knobs, but also the connections to a midi sequencer or to a computer, so the recorded or programmed notes can be routed to the modular synth.
It's important to look what you already got, in gear. Do you have an USB-midi interface for the computer? Or maybe a midi keyboard? Or nothing at all? A modular is capable of generating sound by itself, and even play notes, but it's critical to have this in a musical setting, so you can create songs (eventually) Please look at this thread

Second is the "utillity" modules. These are the things that keep the sound evolving, changing, make a raw waveform into something more usable. Examples are envelopes, LFO's (low frequency oscillators) - they wobble , sequencers (to program and play a sequence of notes) etc.
A choice of these modules determine how flexible and usable the system is. Often overlooked (these are not "glamour" modules) it's still very important, since without them, all those fancy filters are dead in the water.

Third is the meat of the synth; the modules that create the sound. These are Oscillators (tone generators), filters (these block out a part of the sound, so then it becomes usable), and amplifiers (VCA's). Then there's of course effects modules, noise generators, bitcrushers and even samplers. These modules determine the character of the sound. Would you like a "moog" type sound, an Oberheim, or would you go for something very different and never heard before? Or.. all of those?

fourth is the case in which the modules and the powersupply (PSU) and the busboard (to connect the modules to the PSU) is housed.
don't get a small one. it's more costly in the future.
Please see this post how to get a case to put the eurorack modules in.

Please have a look in the sticky here to learn basic principles of synthesis.

Then there's different formats. You already named one; Eurorack.
But there's more: There's 5u (bigger, more space to turn knobs, less choices, great sound), there's Serge synthesizers, Frac format (in the USA), ModCan, etc... Eurorack is nice cause it's cheap (if you buy cheap modules) and there's lots of choices, as you can see in the modularplanner. The other ones like ModCan or Serge are more expensive, but some people like them better, and keep these unchanged for years... choose yourself! Resale value is around 70% so it's a waste of 30% of your money if you decide to switch after a month or so..
Also see here for a recent discussion, on what format is "best" for you. Also look at the descriptions here for what modules are and what they do. Look at youtube videos, and soundclouds (type the module name in the search) and listen as much as possible before making a choice.

Ideas behind a setup: In the sixties, when all of this madness started there were two "schools" of synthesis, and yes, west coast and east coast. Just like rappers lol
East coast is the "moog" type of synthesizer setups: A number of voices, with an oscillator (with a pure tone), an LFO to modulate that oscillator, an envelope and VCA to shape the sound, and then a filter to give it the character sound you want. The sounds then are combined and it's mostly played by a piano keyboard or a sequencer inside the system.
West coast was more experimental; Buchla, Serge and Wiard are examples of this. A bunch of oscillators that modulate each other, and waveshapers create a very complex and interesting timbre of sound. This is played mostly through alternative surfaces, so isn't stuck on the piano keyboard. That complex sound is then routed into an LPG (Low Pass Gate) which filters the sound and (because the electronic components behave in a certain way) also creates a type of envelope (they call it "gate" but it's different from the gate that's the output of a sequencer, or note-on/off message from a midi-cv interface - since that's just the pulse/square wave, and this "gate" means the whole module)

Right now... some synths (Serge, Buchla, Wiard) and some eurorack modules (Malekko Wiard, The Harvestman, Pittsburgh) are quite "west coast" while others are east coast (Macbeth, Analogue Systems) oriented.
But many brands are both. So... you can do both. a mix!
IT THEN ALL DEPENDS ON YOU WHAT TYPE SYNTHESIZER YOU WANT

I'm going to merge this thread with another one, since it's basically the same subject.
If you have any direct questions, please ask?
16th January 2012
Old 16th January 2012
Lives for gear

hey Reptil, could you touch on the topic of exponential vs. linear VCAs in typical use in modular?

i understand the difference in that with a linear change in control signal, you will get linear change on the "processed"signal on a linear VCA, and exponential change on "processed" signal on the exp VCA.

so former is better for processing CV signals (for example, you wanna govern the depth of LFO doing VCO pitch with another LFO). latter is better if the processed signal is audio (for ex, tremolo)

however, part where i get confused is, what type of VCA is preffered for the final VCA, i.e. the one governed by VCA ADSR...? because if i understood correct, ADSR is already exponential in its shape, or ?

i was checking out Oakley's Classic VCA for final VCA in my to-be small starter up desktop eurosytem. its a clone of ARP4019 discrete VCA. paired transistors etc. any others of such type you can recommend?

i dont mind clean, hifi modern VCAs for modulations, but for audio path id like something with chromosomes of classic monophonics i like (moog, arp, sem, etc etc).

thnx

17th January 2012
Old 17th January 2012
Lives for gear

Location: fear and loathing across the country, listening to my 8-track

Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
because if i understood correct, ADSR is already exponential in its shape, or ?
Not necessarily. Depends. That's where asking/knowing comes in...
Some are linear and sharp/angular because they expect an exponential
VCA., which the MFB envelope is from what I've read. I listened
to audio demos and it wasn't my taste so I haven't tried it in person.
The Envelator is linear but can be made exponential with an external
mixer/feedback patching.

The new Intellijel VCA looks ideal for audio since it has an adjustable
curve for fine tuning. I also like the Maths and CTG-VC specifically
due to the tuning of the curves available. Both those and the Intellijel
VCA would be the best, IMHO, if you like to tune/noodle, which I'm
assuming you do in particular.

Then there's the further confusion of whether the response is linear/expo
or they expect that on the input. I guess different naming conventions
have been in place. Cwejman specifies Semi-Log for their VCAs (audio).
Those are my favorite but now I'm itching to try the new Intellijel.
17th January 2012
Old 17th January 2012
Lives for gear

yeah you hit the nail on the head as to why im confused.

so it seems i need to set my heart on a peticular VCA and then see which ENVs will work with them "normally", at least to what ive come to expect form various monophonics.

i like the Oakley one... wonder which envs will work with it.

ive been looking at Analog Systems CV ADSR (only decay and release are CV-able but that is enough), and Doepfers Decay only env... great for sequnecing arpeggios swift basses drums..

PS yeah i thought about intelijel or malekko for simple dual lin vca for controllin modulation depths..
17th January 2012
Old 17th January 2012
Lives for gear

Hi guys,

This is a subject I am interested in too.
I have a couple of questions here as well. Hope the OP doesn't mind.

This past week on my local CL I noticed a Doepfer case (A100G6) Homepage englisch First one at the top.

If I was going to buy the case: How do I test it to make sure that it is all working properly? Do I ask the fellow to set up some modules in it? Or is there some other process I can do?

I guess the price is alright, he is asking $400. I see they sell for more, plus shipping, taxes and arbitrary duty. Not bad?

I now have a 202. I guess this is the long way around but:
(If I needed to) Could I sync the 202 to the Cirklon via DIN sync and then have the 202 send cv triggers to the modular? I know I would have to program each step for on the 202 but it should work, no?

One other item I am wondering about is the Cirklon CVIO BOB.

In this vid for the first 30 seconds or so you can see the BOB mounted in the case above the Cirklon. It have several Ins&Outs. What benefits if any would I get from buying the BOB? Is the BOB for people with tons of cv gear? Maybe I am just better off buying a midi to cv module?

Not trying to derail the thread, just trying to learn a little more about the subject without cluttering up the forum with another thread. Thanks for any help guys.
D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcgood View Post
JEEZUS...I never realized how many whiny little c*nts there were on this site until the recent rounds of drum machine announcements.
17th January 2012
Old 17th January 2012

Quote:
exponential vs. linear VCAs in typical use in modular?
Since audio perception is following a logarythmic scale (see here), amplification/envelope for audio has a logarythmic curve. That way any increase in amplitude seems natural to our ears.
As far as the precise curves go, that varies from module to module.

Just like those on any other synth. Some are "slow" sounding, some punchy and snappy. So it's not just the steepness of the curve, but also the shape of it. If you compare dynamic processors like compressor/limiters, you'll bump into the same issue, but then because of the characteristic of the different types of compressor (vari-µ is fast, so is VCA, opto is slow). Same goes for mixers (Doepfer has seperate ones for audio and CV) etc.
Linear amplification is used for control voltages, since volts are linear of course. Look at the curve of any LFO, for an example.
You can mix and match those two systems inside a modular, if you know a little about what's the expected result.
Quote:
i was checking out Oakley's Classic VCA for final VCA in my to-be small starter up desktop eurosytem. its a clone of ARP4019 discrete VCA. paired transistors etc. any others of such type you can recommend?
A friend of mine has the Oakley, he's very happy with it.
I can recommend the MOTM 1190 (Fracrack format NOT eurorack) as well. It's 15V so performs best with a 15V powersupply, has a different power header, and the holes for the screws need to be filed out, but if you got all of those issues fixed it's got a very nice sounding saturation when pushed.
Quote:
i dont mind clean, hifi modern VCAs for modulations, but for audio path id like something with chromosomes of classic monophonics i like (moog, arp, sem, etc etc).
Like Entrainer said, the new Intellijel µVCA seems to be the mutt's nuts, I was positively surprised when I heard this:
http://vimeo.com/34835149
Another is the The Harvestman Double Andore (dual envelope, dual VCA) which seems to overdrive nicely when pushed. here's an example: 2:51 or so

Mine's still at customs, but I got to wait for a tax return to pay duties. Aha sure, that makes perfect sense (not).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubtek71 View Post
If I was going to buy the case: How do I test it to make sure that it is all working properly? Do I ask the fellow to set up some modules in it? Or is there some other process I can do?
Yes, in fact testing any PSU with expensive modules would be less desirable that testing the PSU and power distribution itself. You can measure (using a multimeter) if the voltages are correct when it's on. Be careful not to create a short and release magic smoke.
here's what should be there: please note you need an adapter module to get 5V on the bus, it's not there without it.

and the correct wiring of the plug and header

Please note that orientation of the power cable varies from manufacturer to manufacturer? (Some have the cable upside down on the module side, plugging it in without looking has blown up many modules.) It's a pity this issue wasn't dealt with in the first place. Most now mark the correct voltage (-12V at the bottom) on the PCB. Doepfer and others use a red line to indicate this, but don't count on it with other manufacturers, ALWAYS CHECK before plugging in.
Quote:
I guess the price is alright, he is asking $400. I see they sell for more, plus shipping, taxes and arbitrary duty. Not bad?
I guess if you want that specific case, it's a good deal. Please check the 3rd post in this thread for alternatives?
Quote:
I now have a 202. I guess this is the long way around but:
(If I needed to) Could I sync the 202 to the Cirklon via DIN sync and then have the 202 send cv triggers to the modular? I know I would have to program each step for on the 202 but it should work, no?
dunno.. haven't got the Cirklon. Maybe someone that does can answer this?
Quote:
One other item I am wondering about is the Cirklon CVIO BOB.

In this vid for the first 30 seconds or so you can see the BOB mounted in the case above the Cirklon. It have several Ins&Outs. What benefits if any would I get from buying the BOB? Is the BOB for people with tons of cv gear? Maybe I am just better off buying a midi to cv module?
Very interesting. The Midibox sequencer has something like that going on.

This, or a midi->cv module depends on what you're going to use it for. If you want other sequencers (MPC for example) or midi keyboards to output CV gate, a seperate interface is handy. But if you have a big modular and a Cirklon, it seems to me like a no brainer. Please see here for a discussion about midi/USB-->cv gate?
Quote:
Not trying to derail the thread, just trying to learn a little more about the subject without cluttering up the forum with another thread. Thanks for any help guys.
D.
understood. no issue, i think it's useful if we write some general information in this thread, for people just starting out (or general interest).

So, anyone, please add information or questions if you like?
Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Building a Eurorack modular system-screen-shot-2012-01-17-05.00.58am.jpg  
17th January 2012
Old 17th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post

Yes, in fact testing any PSU with expensive modules would be less desirable that testing the PSU and power distribution itself. You can measure (using a multimeter) if the voltages are correct when it's on. Be careful not to create a short and release magic smoke.
here's what should be there: please note you need an adapter module to get 5V on the bus, it's not there without it.

and the correct wiring of the plug and header

Please note that orientation of the power cable varies from manufacturer to manufacturer? (Some have the cable upside down on the module side, plugging it in without looking has blown up many modules.) It's a pity this issue wasn't dealt with in the first place. Most now mark the correct voltage (-12V at the bottom) on the PCB. Doepfer and others use a red line to indicate this, but don't count on it with other manufacturers, ALWAYS CHECK before plugging in.
I guess if you want that specific case, it's a good deal. Please check the 3rd post in this thread for alternatives?

dunno.. haven't got the Cirklon. Maybe someone that does can answer this?

Very interesting. The Midibox sequencer has something like that going on.

This, or a midi->cv module depends on what you're going to use it for. If you want other sequencers (MPC for example) or midi keyboards to output CV gate, a seperate interface is handy. But if you have a big modular and a Cirklon, it seems to me like a no brainer. Please see here for a discussion about midi/USB-->cv gate?

understood. no issue, i think it's useful if we write some general information in this thread, for people just starting out (or general interest).

So, anyone, please add information or questions if you like?
Cheers
Okay that is some really great info there, thank-you.

I dunno about that case specifically. I had my eye on the A100 9U suitcase. I just thought it might be an easy lower cost way to enter the market sooner. I think more research is needed before making a move.

Regarding the 202. Sorry I should have been more clear. I am able to run the 202 from the Cirklon on DINSync, perfectly. It was super easy to do. The Cirklon impresses me yet again. The hard part was sorting out why it didn't loop properly at first. That was: User error.

Getting to my point. The 202 is a 2 part monophonic synth/sequencer. From my brief time with the manual it looks as if it can sequence an external synth in addition to its own voice. It does have a cv and gate external synth port on it. So really my question should have been: Can I trigger a modular from the 202? It would appear so, but I am not sure.

Is the CVIO BOB a no brainer? I dunno....I don't have a big modular. I don't have a modular at all. Can one send several cv signals into a single modular synth? Even a smaller one like a 6U or 9U? The BOB is not the first thing to buy without a modular IMHO.

In another thread MasionVague said " One is able to mix and combine voltages." What does that mean? and how is it useful? Could I use the 202 and Colin's BOB and send a combination of cv signals into a modular?

Thanks again
D.
17th January 2012
Old 17th January 2012

glad I can help.

check that post about the cases. did some research already.

if the 202 has gate and CV out, yes. then it can trigger something else. if not, no, it can't. You probably could have it modded.

That BOB is a no brainer IF you have a Circlon AND a big modular.

mix and combine control voltages; very useful.
this is what you'll feed to the many CV inputs of your filters, oscillators, envelopes, etc.
and much more is of course possible with these, and of course audio inside the modular (SINCE THEY'RE BOTH JUST VOLTAGES): distort, filter, reverb, reshape(envelope), bitcrush, divide, add, compress, expand, combine or shape by audio input, use audio as CV etc. etc. etc. AND ANY COMBINATION IN ANY ORDER (incl. feedback loops that can be modulated as well)
The electronic dance music out there didn't even skratch the possibillities yet. so much more to explore using a modern modular. new musical worlds.

apart from being an electronic nerd's wet dream, does this have any musical significance?
Yes. making music using a modular is not just about slapping a bunch of cool filters on there and trying to recreate known badass fixed structure synths. Each patch is potentially a NEW synth; for example, combining SEM filters with Moogish sounding oscillators, and use some audio file as envelope shaper and control it all in real time with vector synthesis. a choice of sounds is now possible especially with the meriad of modules out there.

FWTFIW that's why I chose to buy a selection of more than one manufacturer, moving away from an all Doepfer setup (which was great too).
OTOH, having everything from one manufacturer of course means there's consistency in levels, and the modules are finely tuned to work together in function and sound.

17th January 2012
Old 17th January 2012
Lives for gear

Some great info there, thank you
18th January 2012
Old 18th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
glad I can help.

check that post about the cases. did some research already.

if the 202 has gate and CV out, yes. then it can trigger something else. if not, no, it can't. You probably could have it modded.

That BOB is a no brainer IF you have a Circlon AND a big modular.

mix and combine control voltages; very useful.
this is what you'll feed to the many CV inputs of your filters, oscillators, envelopes, etc.
and much more is of course possible with these, and of course audio inside the modular (SINCE THEY'RE BOTH JUST VOLTAGES): distort, filter, reverb, reshape(envelope), bitcrush, divide, add, compress, expand, combine or shape by audio input, use audio as CV etc. etc. etc. AND ANY COMBINATION IN ANY ORDER (incl. feedback loops that can be modulated as well)
The electronic dance music out there didn't even skratch the possibillities yet. so much more to explore using a modern modular. new musical worlds.

apart from being an electronic nerd's wet dream, does this have any musical significance?
Yes. making music using a modular is not just about slapping a bunch of cool filters on there and trying to recreate known badass fixed structure synths. Each patch is potentially a NEW synth; for example, combining SEM filters with Moogish sounding oscillators, and use some audio file as envelope shaper and control it all in real time with vector synthesis. a choice of sounds is now possible especially with the meriad of modules out there.

FWTFIW that's why I chose to buy a selection of more than one manufacturer, moving away from an all Doepfer setup (which was great too).
OTOH, having everything from one manufacturer of course means there's consistency in levels, and the modules are finely tuned to work together in function and sound.

Alright! I am correct about the 202! No need to mod it. Actually it has a mod audio mod already. The headphone jack acts as an input and routes the audio to the filter section. Kinda a cool bonus.

The Cirklon BOB is not in the cards as of right now. Although that may change in the future depending of how things develop.

Is there a good basic primer I could read?

Here is the thread I was referring to. I couldn't recall the title last nite.
CV vs MIDI
Some more useful info from Beer and MV.

I have no desire to try to recreate some type of vintage unit using modules. I think that would be missing the point completely. The main reason I am interested is because there is a bunch of stuff out there that is not available from the Roland's and Korg's or Ableton's of the world. Its also opportunity to create something that is unique and tailored to my specs, on my timeline, and on my budget, as I see fit. Cool shite!

My main concern about the subject more than anything is: getting sucked into a vortex of buying modules and building an unending synth rather than focusing on music.

Thanks again for all the info.

18th January 2012
Old 18th January 2012

books?
yes, the SOS pages are easy to get in. read in sequence, that's how these are written.
the Buchla music easel manual I'd recommend after that (Allen Strange).
(His book "Electronic Music: Systems, Techniques, and Controls" is also good, but was/is (?) hard to find.)
both SOS pages and Buchla Music Easel manual can be found here. Browse around; enough to really get deep into the subject matter.
I got a little book (in German) written by a guy called Florian Anwander, and I can recommend that for german reading slutz. There's a new book about programming Doepfers out there as well.

As for how to proceed; ehm it depends of course on your money and specific taste but, when putting this into the roughly divided categories I'd do this:

one ES-4 module or a-190 (or Kenton) depending if you go for SPDIF or midi
something you can consider is getting a Rene sequencer if you go for the self contained route. in that case drop the RCD for now as well.
some way to play sounds directly is nice. look at Sythwerks or MakeNoise, or use the a-190(or Kenton) and midi pads or keyboard. MPC/Command Station is made for that shit. you figure it out

one or more LFOs depending on which one you choose. I still love the a-141.
two envelopes or one if you choose an LPG as filter. choose wisely, this will determine "snappyness". Envelators are good, but there are equally great ones out there.
one multiple, one CV mixer. try to keep it small or cheap or both.
an RCD plus breakout (scrap if you get the Rene, you can get it later. also available as DIY kit)
one logic module (AND OR NOR etc. Intellijel or Doepfer)
two duty VCA - get a cheap and cheerful ones for CV

one kickass oscillator or a pair of less complicated. be prepared to spend some of your hardearned euros.
one filter - just one? ok.. two then.
one good quality VCA.
perhaps one good input module/envelope follower. the doepfer a-119 can be modded easily.

and the case and PSU of course

and that's it. it's roughly a Doepfer basissystem but a little different, so look at that for how a small but complete system is structured. you can work with that for a long time. add stuff slowly as you go along. there'll be new modules by the time you have this at home.. and.. BUY AT LEAST SOME SECONDHAND! (PM me for where)

one more thing: learn how to solder and get your ass into DIY. this will open up new possibillities, especially if you have more time than money.
Rogue Ai
18th January 2012
Old 18th January 2012
digital ears love analog

Here is track that I created.

http://soundcloud.com/rogue-ai/a-gameboy-can-sound-analog

Created using a Gameboy that was sequenced using the Gameboy Camera DJ sequencer. I ran the Gamboy and my Fatman (that was sequenced using my EA-1). I ran both of those into my diode ladder filter's lowpass input. I then used my A-145 lfo to apply audio rate modulation to the filter cutoff. The lfo was reset using the gate from my Fatman. I also played a resonant strings patch that from my Alpha Juno-1 over the sequenced parts.

I can't wait to get more modules!
Rogue Ai
19th January 2012
Old 19th January 2012
digital ears love analog

Anyone else think it would be awesome if somebody made the Gameboy's audio chips into a eurorack module?
19th January 2012
Old 19th January 2012

or put that gameboy on an aluminium panel, and be done with it?
cheaper, less chances to mess it up.
Rogue Ai
22nd January 2012
Old 22nd January 2012
digital ears love analog

I have another question. What would I use to reduce the clicks from my lfo?
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search