Using Cubase in conjunction with Ableton Live
Old 10th January 2012
Gear interested

Using Cubase in conjunction with Ableton Live

Hey guys,

I've been using Ableton for some time now, but as I've gotten more obsessed with mixing and mastering, Ableton is simply not cutting it for me.

So I've acquired a copy of Cubase and I'm starting to learn how to navigate the program and such.

My question is: What is the best way to share audio between the two programs? I've noticed the "pool" in Cubase, but I'm not sure exactly how it works. Do I need to import any audio I want to use? Or can I set up a folder that I can just drop .wav tracks into that will automatically import into Cubase?

Also if anyone has any other tips + tricks to working with the two programs they would be highly appreciated!
Old 10th January 2012
Gear maniac

Hey! I dunno if this will help but my brother uses Cubase and I use Ableton and I let him master my music and sometimes mix it and here's how I give it to him:

I basically just export out each individual track all the way from the start of the song and I do two versions of each, one with my FX and one with none (cause he asks for it like that) and that's pretty much it. I guess it's kind of silly because we live in the same house but if we didn't I'd probably make a text file or something with details and info on all the different elements.

I tried to find a way I could just like save the whole project to a file that would work in Cubase but I couldn't ever figure out if you could.

I also bought Reason with Christmas money and I do the same thing with it, just export each track from the start of the song.

But I'm not exactly super nerdy on this kind of stuff (I'm getting there!) so I might totally be missing an easier way.
Old 10th January 2012
Gear interested

yea i actually work with both open programs open on the same OS. I guess exporting would be the foolproof way, tho I wish I could just drag the .wav files from ableton into the library sidebar, but those files end up being .als and can't be opened by cubase.
Old 10th January 2012
Gear interested

Also if anyone could explain how the saves work... (I mean like when you save a file in cubase, where the audio samples and such are stored)
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search