Login / Register
 
best piano plugin for house music
New Reply
Subscribe
carl_t
Thread Starter
#1
22nd December 2011
Old 22nd December 2011
  #1
Gear interested
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 15

Thread Starter
carl_t is offline
best piano plugin for house music

Hi all

Can anyone tell me which is the best pluging to give me a nice warm piano sound for funky house ?
cheers

Carl
#2
22nd December 2011
Old 22nd December 2011
  #2
Gear nut
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 76

rodion is offline
many new house producers I know they seem to be very much into korg m1 legacy plugin for their piano house sounds. it's kinda THE 90ies piano sound. every piano sound needs some proper eq and compression to sound right'n'housey though
#3
22nd December 2011
Old 22nd December 2011
  #3
Banned
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,695

3phase is offline
the apple internal one is pretty good
#4
22nd December 2011
Old 22nd December 2011
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Beermaster's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: London
Posts: 2,145

Beermaster is offline
Seriously, ANY piano patch will do.

It's not a demanding and expressive role that the piano plays in most funky dance tracks so don't go worrying yourself about it too much..

Cheap and cheerful is the answer !

Beer
#5
22nd December 2011
Old 22nd December 2011
  #5
Lives for gear
 
Kaoz's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Sydney
Posts: 1,842

Kaoz is offline
There's piano in house music?


Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app
#6
22nd December 2011
Old 22nd December 2011
  #6
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Narnia
Posts: 649

chembros is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
There's piano in house music?


Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app
There's trees in the woods?
#7
22nd December 2011
Old 22nd December 2011
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Kaoz's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Sydney
Posts: 1,842

Kaoz is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by chembros View Post
There's trees in the woods?
There's a bear in there?


Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app
#8
22nd December 2011
Old 22nd December 2011
  #8
Lives for gear
 
the donal's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,128

the donal is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
There's a bear in there?


Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app
What does he do there?
#9
22nd December 2011
Old 22nd December 2011
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Narnia
Posts: 649

chembros is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by the donal View Post
What does he do there?
He makes Dubstep?
#10
22nd December 2011
Old 22nd December 2011
  #10
Lives for gear
 
peter_martin's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Somewhere in Texas
Posts: 883

peter_martin is online now
So a bear, a piano, and a house producer walk into a bar...
#11
22nd December 2011
Old 22nd December 2011
  #11
Banned
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,695

3phase is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_martin View Post
So a bear, a piano, and a house producer walk into a bar...
only the piano walks out again
#12
22nd December 2011
Old 22nd December 2011
  #12
Lives for gear
 
peter_martin's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Somewhere in Texas
Posts: 883

peter_martin is online now
wait are we talking about 'a dubstep' or just regular dubstep?

anywho, like what beer said, ANY piano will do. compress it down real good like and get some stride going in there all Hacienda like.


its been a while since there was some good piano in a house music song.

Used some freeware Piano VST on NiceGuys Finish last, deffo not house but got the job done.
#13
22nd December 2011
Old 22nd December 2011
  #13
Lives for gear
 
fragletrollet's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,463

fragletrollet is offline
hahaha....
#14
22nd December 2011
Old 22nd December 2011
  #14
Gear addict
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 413

Whatupdoe? is offline
spend $100 on the cheapest rompler from the early 90's you can find. It doesn't matter which one, just make sure it costs no more than $100.

That is the magical secret, for real.
#15
22nd December 2011
Old 22nd December 2011
  #15
Gear addict
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 305

vivid435 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beermaster View Post
Seriously, ANY piano patch will do.

It's not a demanding and expressive role that the piano plays in most funky dance tracks so don't go worrying yourself about it too much..

Cheap and cheerful is the answer !

Beer
i disagree. seen the chris lake future music video? why wouldnt chris lake name the source of his piano sound when he was asked....
#16
23rd December 2011
Old 23rd December 2011
  #16
Lives for gear
 
Kaoz's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Sydney
Posts: 1,842

Kaoz is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivid435 View Post
i disagree. seen the chris lake future music video? why wouldnt chris lake name the source of his piano sound when he was asked....
Because he's embarrassed to admit that it doesn't matter what piano synth you start with?


Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app
__________________
Dust. Wind. Dude.

Progs - Reason 7, Live 8
Synths - Minibrute, MoKeys, Prophet 08
Drums - Korg EMX1, MaM ADX1
Guitars - LTD EC100, Hohner L75 Pro, Yamaha RBX375, Custom Upright Bass
Effects - Blackstar HT Dual, Aphex Acoustic Xciter, TCE Flashback, Red Witch Ivy, VFE Blueprint, MI Audio Tubezone, Boss ODB3, SPX 990
#17
23rd December 2011
Old 23rd December 2011
  #17
Gear maniac
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 158

ownlife is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatupdoe? View Post
spend $100 on the cheapest rompler from the early 90's you can find. It doesn't matter which one, just make sure it costs no more than $100.

That is the magical secret, for real.
Your posts on Gearslutz are the best because you give away ALL the secrets to this shit and people just straight up ignore you and recommend some expensive "pro" gear. It cracks me the **** up.
#18
23rd December 2011
Old 23rd December 2011
  #18
Lives for gear
 
djanthonyw's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Boston
Posts: 4,448

djanthonyw is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivid435 View Post
i disagree. seen the chris lake future music video? why wouldnt chris lake name the source of his piano sound when he was asked....
Pretty sure he was using the White Grand from Sampletekk.

The ones that come with Nexus are really good too.
__________________
You are currently reading my signature.
#19
23rd December 2011
Old 23rd December 2011
  #19
Gear interested
 
playdead.'s Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 11

playdead. is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownlife View Post
Your posts on Gearslutz are the best because you give away ALL the secrets to this shit and people just straight up ignore you and recommend some expensive "pro" gear. It cracks me the **** up.
I get a kick out of this too. Whatupdoe? is like the voice of reason and people still can't figure out why their expensive pianos don't sound like their favorite house tracks.
#20
23rd December 2011
Old 23rd December 2011
  #20
Gear interested
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 20

Jerry104 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3phase View Post
the apple internal one is pretty good
I love that piano
#21
23rd December 2011
Old 23rd December 2011
  #21
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Brighton UK
Posts: 4,721

offki is offline
What's a Piano, is it like fruity loops?
#22
23rd December 2011
Old 23rd December 2011
  #22
Sub-Dude
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Harlem, NYC
Posts: 1,282

Bullseye is offline
Oh man, poor guy just asked an "innocent' question and got slain. I'm sort of curious as to why the OP even asked the question. If the piano he used/had/heard didn't cut it I would love to know what led to that conclusion.
#23
23rd December 2011
Old 23rd December 2011
  #23
Lives for gear
 
cryophonik's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: NorCal
Posts: 1,370

cryophonik is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
Oh man, poor guy just asked an "innocent' question and got slain.
Yeah, and it's not like he didn't ask a legitimate question. rodion's response was pretty much spot on, though - the Korg M1 is renowned for its house piano sounds and is pretty ubiquitous in house music, although I'm not sure that I would classify it as "warm". YMMV.
__________________
cryophonik | facebook | soundcloud
Pro Tools 11 | Sonar X3 | Logic Pro X | Access Virus TI2 Keyboard | Kurzweil PC3X | DSI Mopho X4 | NI Maschine
#24
23rd December 2011
Old 23rd December 2011
  #24
Gear addict
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 413

Whatupdoe? is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownlife View Post
Your posts on Gearslutz are the best because you give away ALL the secrets to this shit and people just straight up ignore you and recommend some expensive "pro" gear. It cracks me the **** up.
That is because this board is all about people who BUY because they cannot DO.

You could replicate Larry Heard's studio down to ever last thing, and your ass still isn't going to sound as good as Larry Heard. You just need to use whatever you can get your hands on and do the best you can with it. That is the only way to sound like YOU.
#25
24th December 2011
Old 24th December 2011
  #25
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 641

blue monk is offline
The M1 was the classic house piano so the VST-version is an obvious recommendation if you want that typical sound.


not the greatest music but it should give you an idea soundwise.
The first riff reminded me of a Moby tune
#26
24th December 2011
Old 24th December 2011
  #26
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Brighton UK
Posts: 4,721

offki is offline
Plug ins won't cut it, you need a real concert grand.
#27
24th December 2011
Old 24th December 2011
  #27
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Paris
Posts: 1,845

Andy_bt is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by offki View Post
Plug ins won't cut it, you need a real concert grand.
A friend of mine told me his Bösendorfer fits well, tracking with condensers.
A.
#28
24th December 2011
Old 24th December 2011
  #28
Lives for gear
 
Kaoz's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Sydney
Posts: 1,842

Kaoz is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by offki View Post
Plug ins won't cut it, you need a real concert grand.
Also need classical training.


Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app
#29
24th December 2011
Old 24th December 2011
  #29
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Paris
Posts: 1,845

Andy_bt is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
Also need classical training.


Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app
Just hire a jazz pianist, the grooves's better
A.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 
 
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
MADA / Electronic Music Instruments & Electronic Music Production
17
deltaforce / Electronic Music Instruments & Electronic Music Production
59
maxwelldub / Electronic Music Instruments & Electronic Music Production
12
misnomer / Electronic Music Instruments & Electronic Music Production
2
alphadore / So much gear, so little time!
6

Forum Jump

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.