is dubstep wobble still the best new synth sound?
28th November 2011
Old 28th November 2011
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by boon View Post
Haha, no doubt

Ya know, I actually do like some of the heavier electronic music that's out there, it's just that 99% of it has become so cookie-cutter and bland that it becomes easy to hate on all of it. I used to be a big metal fan, still am in some respects, but my appreciation of that genre went down hill the second it started turning into emo/scremo/genres with "-core" at the end of them (the metal "-core", not the EDM "-core." I learned early on the difference between these 2).

I remember going to raves that played mostly trance/DnB/happy hardcore just a few years ago (2007-2008) and thinking, "man, this is definitely going to become the next big thing!" And then it did, and I was sorely disappointed.

Showing my age
bouzoukijoe1
28th November 2011
Old 28th November 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Jay View Post
All of you old farts hating reminds me of this clip:

lol

hahahahahahahhahahaaha

I think the big difference between this brostep stuff is that they are able to make crazy sounds sound more musical than any of the predecessors who actually invented it, like IDM, etc. people tend to think that just because a sound was invented earlier that it's automatically old. if a new genre can come in and use an old invention in a radical way, that actually keeps it going.

for example, electric guitar distortion was first used in the early 1950's by pioneers like Link Wray etc, but it didn't really tear through the roof until people like Hendrix came into the scene in the mid-late 60's and through to 70's with the emergence of heavy metal.

Boards, Autechre, Devine, Phoenicia, Squarepusher, etc were all paving the way for all this crazy stuff ten years ago, but that doesn't necessarily mean they can do something like brostep well. but it's just not their thing (as far as I know, not that I still listen to them).

you can always take an old trick and turn it on its head and blow everyone away if you have the right skills.
28th November 2011
Old 28th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouzoukijoe1 View Post

Boards, Autechre, Devine, Phoenicia, Squarepusher, etc were all paving the way for all this crazy stuff ten years ago, but that doesn't necessarily mean they can do something like brostep well. but it's just not their thing (as far as I know, not that I still listen to them).

you can always take an old trick and turn it on its head and blow everyone away if you have the right skills.
What does Autechre, Boards, etc.. have to do with any of this?

This is just techstep meets Mr Ozio.

Techstep sounded better technically btw .. blowin out the sound sounds weak on a good system.. red-lining the mixer with a well produced record.. now that is how it should be. Vinyl !!!
28th November 2011
Old 28th November 2011
Lives for gear

28th November 2011
Old 28th November 2011
Lives for gear

god I'm glad I got to catch the tail end of the rave scene in Chicago.

That looks exactly like an ICP show.. ****ing Denny's counterculture..
28th November 2011
Old 28th November 2011
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel View Post
god I'm glad I got to catch the tail end of the rave scene in Chicago.

That looks exactly like an ICP show.. ****ing Denny's counterculture..
Except all the 'steppers are on mdma, while the ICP fans are on meth

How else could you listen to that music?
28th November 2011
Old 28th November 2011
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

28th November 2011
Old 28th November 2011
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Quote:

Boards, Autechre, Devine, Phoenicia, Squarepusher, etc were all paving the way for all this crazy stuff ten years ago, but that doesn't necessarily mean they can do something like brostep well.
why would they even want to? they make music that sounds like nothing else and suddenly they are all gonna make dubstep? why?
28th November 2011
Old 28th November 2011
Gear Head

Whoever told you that wobble synth stab sound that skrillex makes or whoever is really dubstep. That was never ever the point. . Its started with experimenting uk garage and progressed into something very beautiful with layers and progression and melody and harmony. Until a handful came up with something hard that mostly the uk and american crowd liked. From then on that's how grimy dubstep came to form. Idk why anyone would ever wanna imitate a dubstep sound. Go learn good music. Layering progression and anything cutting edge. Leave that shit to the untalented n uneducated
13th December 2011
Old 13th December 2011
Gear maniac

How much of the wobs are actually clipping?
13th December 2011
Old 13th December 2011
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

AAAAAAAAAAAAND it's this thread again
13th December 2011
Old 13th December 2011
Gear addict

Azzido Da Bass/Flat Eric?

Think it is pretty funny how middle class white america is all "OMG LETS ALL GO RAVING WE ARE THE FUTURE LOL HAX"
13th December 2011
Old 13th December 2011
Banned

does that qualify as a dubstep wobble?

i agree with thats not about the wobble..its about thecontext.. so far i still havent heard the real scifi sound that all seems to aim towards to.. seems that teh comercial hype with disgusting hyped pseude artists happens tp early again..as with acid house some years back..and a future music maybe only can emerge from the ashes of this industry hype when its over.so sharpen your tools now and be ready when the blow boys are blown and get soem real stuff out..

the little samsung add is not so bad really. just trys to be dubstep way to much..

who actually told that dubstep needs to have the same beat all the time? the word step alone dont reffers to a metrum of any kind.. its not 2 step.. it dont needs to be
13th December 2011
Old 13th December 2011
Lives for gear

Well, in the not too distant future you will be in an elevator and coming from that crappy 70 volt commercial ceiling speaker you will hear the Muzak rendition of "Dubstep wobble". Followed by everything else that has fallen from the spotlight and into the periphery. That's if it's lucky enough to be immortalized in that ironic way, probably not. Hows that for perseveration in reverse.

Not that I don't like it, But get it into perspective
13th December 2011
Old 13th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
if a new genre can come in and use an old invention in a radical way, that actually keeps it going.
there's nothing radical in any of the 'brostep' i've heard.
BM0
13th December 2011
Old 13th December 2011
BM0
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Don't personally listen to it, but I figured that dubstep and wobble originated from DnB, which came from Jungle. To me, the wobble bass sound is near the same as the booming bass kicks from jungle and dnb. As for patterns and arrangements, I could see sampling variable rates of programmed wobbles and arranging them into patterns to get that crazy dubstep sound. The technique doesn't seem much different to techniques used for dnb and jungle, but what do I know. I've never tried to make dubstep and probably never listened to an entire dubstep song.
13th December 2011
Old 13th December 2011
Lives for gear

Things don't change much do they?

13th December 2011
Old 13th December 2011
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM0 View Post
Don't personally listen to it, but I figured that dubstep and wobble originated from DnB, which came from Jungle. To me, the wobble bass sound is near the same as the booming bass kicks from jungle and dnb. As for patterns and arrangements, I could see sampling variable rates of programmed wobbles and arranging them into patterns to get that crazy dubstep sound. The technique doesn't seem much different to techniques used for dnb and jungle, but what do I know. I've never tried to make dubstep and probably never listened to an entire dubstep song.
. In the late 90's when I forced to goto raves and take drugs by my friends... Lol I kid.. But yes dub step sounds ultra similar to dnb/jungle to me. At least the core elements/sounds used , nothing "new" to my ears . Just now theres more tools that make it a lot easier
BM0
13th December 2011
Old 13th December 2011
BM0
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitt View Post
. In the late 90's when I forced to goto raves and take drugs by my friends... Lol I kid..
Well, for me it was more like "in mid nineties, I sought out raves to listen to pounding techno and house and actually got annoyed when jungle or hip-hop would come on because it was pretty much a buzz kill for me".
13th December 2011
Old 13th December 2011
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM0 View Post
Well, for me it was more like "in mid nineties, I sought out raves to listen to pounding techno and house and actually got annoyed when jungle or hip-hop would come on because it was pretty much a buzz kill for me".
bad vibes + e don't mix
13th December 2011
Old 13th December 2011
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

13th December 2011
Old 13th December 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by enossified View Post
Things don't change much do they?
lmao...

blaspheme to put hendrix next to skrillex. people will still be listening to hendrix in 30 years.. skrillex? not so much.
13th December 2011
Old 13th December 2011
Gear addict

I just set auto quantize on and roll my face on the keyboard to make music, it's awesome
13th December 2011
Old 13th December 2011
Lives for gear

Dubstep and brostep and things I'm into but they would've both been preferential to the shitty house music played at raves in the mid 90s

Sent from my DROIDX using Gearslutz.com
14th December 2011
Old 14th December 2011
Gear maniac

Been wobblin' since 1959
14th December 2011
Old 14th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringBean View Post
lol we hang out in an electronic music forum all day and when a new genre hits the mainstream instead of celebrating our medium coming to the fore again we bash it and insist that it's already been done better and it all sounds mediocre...cus all those house/trance tracks dont sound the same
A friend of mine asked me what I think of Dubstep. I said "Dubstep - yeah, I really like that song."
14th December 2011
Old 14th December 2011
Lives for gear

Dubstep is fantastic. Freshest sound to come out since Justice and the general French Electro House sound.
I totally get why younger ones like it (producers and audience). When the producer is making his Dubstep I will bet anything they are brimming with excitement and confidence during writing/production. That translates to the audience.
Surely it doesn't matter how its made. Its not as easy as some are suggesting though. You have to be right in to do it properly. Its called being in the Zone, just you and the music, nothing else matters. It has little do with patience when editing becasue when your in the zone time is irrelevant.
15th December 2011
Old 15th December 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceacademy View Post
Dubstep is fantastic. Freshest sound to come out since Justice and the general French Electro House sound.
I totally get why younger ones like it (producers and audience). When the producer is making his Dubstep I will bet anything they are brimming with excitement and confidence during writing/production. That translates to the audience.
Surely it doesn't matter how its made. Its not as easy as some are suggesting though. You have to be right in to do it properly. Its called being in the Zone, just you and the music, nothing else matters. It has little do with patience when editing becasue when your in the zone time is irrelevant.
Were you making a point here or just sharing a rant?

You don't need to be in the zone, you just need a copy of fusor, use note wrap in the animator to set a different triplet lfo speed for each note of the octave then auto wub wub away.
15th December 2011
Old 15th December 2011
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Spaceacademy is right. Having been in the trance scene in the 90's and 00's I know how deep into a genre you need to be to actually succeed in it. Like someone once said, you can't write a book if you don't read books. You can't produce dubstep if you don't listen to dubstep. There's ofcourse exceptions, but I think that's the general rule, and I think that in part may also put some people off.
15th December 2011
Old 15th December 2011

Hmm trance and dubstep

arps and wobble bass, 1 tricky ponys unite!
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search