1st March 2012
Old 1st March 2012
Gear Head

1st March 2012
Old 1st March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disease Factory View Post
Sync sounds are blah, even with lfo and env on it, no matter what osc. The jup6 multimode is a joke, the hp is so quiet its not even funny and it sounds nothing like the real jup6, so epic fail on that fitlers. The ms20 filter is not convincing either. The jup8 filter is great, the moog filter too. The osc is jsut i dunno, bland. The sound is vanila on all osc, it doesn't bite me the way even the mopho osc or juno osc sound. Up high they get really bland as well. On heavily filtered sounds its ok, It makes great sweeps with the jup 8 filter though.

From the demos of the plugiator, I think that sounds better than diva. I also prefer ACE and Zebra to diva. Funny huh? Oh and sylenth1.
Are you running DIVA in the best accuracy mode ?
Also gain staging is extremely important in that synth.
The filters ( especially the MS20 ones ) sound best when the input gain is quite low. Have you tried that ?
Honestly I've got a corgasmatron filter in my eurorack ( MS-20 filter clone ) and DIVA can get VERY close so I don't think you've tried hard enough.
2nd March 2012
Old 2nd March 2012
Gear Head

Major update

I always wondered, when going through presets in presets section, what modules did it use, so I like you, had to click on any other tab (Main, Modifications) to see it, but now you can see it, yes you do 8)
And yes! you can choose this skin by right clicking

I've made my other skins transparent too, but the thing is that it's a big pack (200mb) so if you can't afford downloading such size, then tell me, what skin you want and I will upload that separately. The size is so big, because I provided a few text color variations for your convenience to choose from.

To install it, copy those skins to Diva themes directory

Best looking colors are Dimmed White and Orange, choose orange if you have bad vision, other just for sake of variety.

Here's The Great Sphinx Lady with all its color variations alone
Size 30mb
https://rapidshare.com/files/1975855...LadyThemes.rar

The Big Pack here 200mb
https://rapidshare.com/files/4160987...emes.part1.rar
https://rapidshare.com/files/1842306...emes.part2.rar
https://rapidshare.com/files/3660533...emes.part3.rar

[table]
The Great Sphinx LadyDarker Intimate BlendDarkerWith A Dinosaur Diva Corroded Diva Intimate Limelight[/table]
24th March 2012
Old 24th March 2012
Lives for gear

Just tried this synth in friends studio more in detail and while you can get some good sounding presets out of it, overall, it's overhyped a bit imo. Don't get me wrong, it's good synth, but really nothing THAT special. Also, some really basic sounds which sound average to my ears (both on accuracy of great and divine), eat so much cpu that it gets too funny, some bad coding going on there. I tried it on i7 2600 and it struggles with some presets when playing a bit faster melody, which is ridiculous.
24th March 2012
Old 24th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxMulderFBI View Post
Just tried this synth in friends studio more in detail and while you can get some good sounding presets out of it, overall, it's overhyped a bit imo. Don't get me wrong, it's good synth, but really nothing THAT special. Also, some really basic sounds which sound average to my ears (both on accuracy of great and divine), eat so much cpu that it gets too funny, some bad coding going on there. I tried it on i7 2600 and it struggles with some presets when playing a bit faster melody, which is ridiculous.

everybody is a coding expert

Whilst clearly you are entitled to not be impressed by the sound, how do you jump to 'bad coding going on there'?
rsp
24th March 2012
Old 24th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zvenx View Post
everybody is a coding expert

Whilst clearly you are entitled to not be impressed by the sound, how do you jump to 'bad coding going on there'?
rsp
How do I jump on bad coding? For example, I make more complex and evolving sounds with Zebra and Absynth, with beautiful warm and fat sound and that takes 5% of cpu and than I play some basic plucked sound from Diva and cpu jumps to 90%, while the sound it self is average and overall nothing sonically special. Explain that to me?
24th March 2012
Old 24th March 2012
Lives for gear

the emphasis is: to you that there isn't nothing sonically special about it.....I own zebra and Absynth and neither of them sound as Diva imho and I still love Zebra 2, although hardly use Absynth much these days (as to me sonically it doesn't compare to many of my newer vsti's)...and complex evolving sounds aren't suppose to be Diva's strengths btw.
But is your argument essential that you make things that you prefer on Absynth and Zebra 2 that sound much better and use less cpu therefore diva must have bad coding?

rsp
24th March 2012
Old 24th March 2012
Lives for gear

No one said Zebra/Absynth sound same as Diva. I just pointed out that one basic sound from Diva eats 90% of cpu of i7 2600, while on Zebra and Absynth very complex sounds, which sound great, eat 5 to 10% max. Why is that? And to me Diva doesn't sound THAT much better, cpu cycles don't justify quality in this case imo.
24th March 2012
Old 24th March 2012
Lives for gear

and I once again suggest it has to do with your taste and not 'bad coding'

rsp

edit: apologies for misreading your comparison, I didn't realise the complex evolving sounds were not in Diva, but still above point is my strong suggestion.
Urs
25th March 2012
Old 25th March 2012
Urs
Gear addict

Quote:
No one said Zebra/Absynth sound same as Diva. I just pointed out that one basic sound from Diva eats 90% of cpu of i7 2600, while on Zebra and Absynth very complex sounds, which sound great, eat 5 to 10% max. Why is that? And to me Diva doesn't sound THAT much better, cpu cycles don't justify quality in this case imo.
Like analogue electronics, Diva can not judge the quality of the patch she's urged to play by her user. The ongoing process is the very same for a patch that can't be touched by any other software, or for a patch that's complete rubbish.

We trust our userbase to make their own decision on when to use Diva in Divine mode, when to use her in Draft or when to simply use something else.

As for the "bad coding" remark, while I enjoyed X Files back then, I do not believe in humanoid decompilers

Urs
25th March 2012
Old 25th March 2012
Lives for gear

With all due respect, I still didn't get the right answer.
25th March 2012
Old 25th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
With all due respect, I still didn't get the right answer.
Do you not read threads ? I have no idea what so ever how to make plugins however I can answer your question.

Diva is CPU hungrey because it attempts to directly model/Emulate the oscillators/filters of real analog synths such as Classic Korgs/Roland's/Moogs etc doing this involves a lot of Code/Maths/Number crunching to make complex algorithms hence heavy CPU, same reason why a lot of UAD emulations are very DSP heavy.

Zebra/Absynth don't have to sound like any real world analog hardware so you don't have to waste CPU Code/Maths/Numbers crunching a clone process.

if you look at it like making a Human clone
Diva would be a Flesh & blood clone, Absynth would be a Metal Robot.
25th March 2012
Old 25th March 2012
Lives for gear

Ok. But I still find the sound of Zebra and Absynth more to my taste than plucky sounds of Diva.
25th March 2012
Old 25th March 2012
Lives for gear

Which no one should have a problem, after all it is your taste which is as valid as everyone else's. I just took umbrage to the 'bad coding' comment.

rsp
25th March 2012
Old 25th March 2012
Lives for gear

Funny I own a Doepfer DE, Moog LP & SE1X yet the purists around here will tell me I've not heard a proper Analog, so what chance do plugin developers have emulating Analog lol.

On a side note I like Diva, I think it sounds great.
1st April 2012
Old 1st April 2012
Lives for gear

Downloaded the demo and in just a few minutes I'm already liking it very much. I also downloaded some patches but can't seem to find where they go or where to install them. Could someone point me out where to put them?

Thanks in advance.
Urs
1st April 2012
Old 1st April 2012
Urs
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oroz View Post
Downloaded the demo and in just a few minutes I'm already liking it very much. I also downloaded some patches but can't seem to find where they go or where to install them. Could someone point me out where to put them?

Thanks in advance.
Glad you like her

Patches go

Win: Vstplugs/Diva.data/Presets/Diva/
Mac: MacHD/Library/Audio/Presets/u-he/Diva

(should be in the manual...)

Cheers,

Urs
2nd April 2012
Old 2nd April 2012
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Quote:
Ok. But I still find the sound of Zebra and Absynth more to my taste than plucky sounds of Diva.
If its too plucky then maybe try increasing the decay ?
That will make it less plucky
21st April 2012
Old 21st April 2012
Lives for gear

Hey, some news...

KVR: Diva 1.1 public beta

Better sounding OSCs and a 40% decrease in CPU use on multicore systems. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm intrigued.
21st April 2012
Old 21st April 2012
Lives for gear

Ill wait until the non beta release. either way. super excited!!!
21st April 2012
Old 21st April 2012
x86 Moderator

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via Skype™ to George Necola
Got myself a copy of Diva. It sounds fantastic, Urs!

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9100 mit Tapatalk
---------------------------------------------
www.georgenecola.com produce & mix itm/gear & fun

blog.georgenecola.com reviews & gear
21st April 2012
Old 21st April 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
Hey, some news...

Better sounding OSCs and a 40% decrease in CPU use on multicore systems. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm intrigued.
wow cool, looking forward to this !
not back in my studio till the end of the month though :(
I wish you could use typing keyboard for midi and run Diva standalone by the way
21st April 2012
Old 21st April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
Hey, some news...

Thanks for the news! I think I'm indeed noticing some CPU improvement

-SD
21st April 2012
Old 21st April 2012
Lives for gear

Dang, sounds good. I just spent a while trying to match a patch I made on my MKS-80 with the new Diva beta, pretty damn close. Diva a little drier sounding but actually fit in the mix better. Hoping for a $99 sale soon........
22nd April 2012
Old 22nd April 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
Dang, sounds good. I just spent a while trying to match a patch I made on my MKS-80 with the new Diva beta, pretty damn close. Diva a little drier sounding but actually fit in the mix better. Hoping for a $99 sale soon........
u-he never make sales.
22nd April 2012
Old 22nd April 2012
Lives for gear

Hi guys

I have a 2008 mac pro so no I don't think my CPU is supported like i5/i7/nahelems... is there any CPU improvement for me?

And can it really utilise multiple cores when used as a plugin in Logic? I thought it was strictly one core per channel

Thanks!

http://www.associatedminds.com
http://www.twitter.com/ed_boogie
Urs
24th April 2012
Old 24th April 2012
Urs
Gear addict

First off, yeah, sorry, we don't do sales. The good thing is, if you buy our stuff used then you can often sell it for the same price a year later. We have that somewhat strange philosphy about "favouring early adopters" over new customers. Thus, typically, the earlier you buy, the better value you get. Many people bought Zebra for 79$ in 2003, and all we ever asked for was a 20$ upgrade in the whole span of 8 years. So while entrance may be steep, we don't have any plans to milk you thereafter

#---

As for multicore support... think about it. There are a few sample playback plugins which do disc streaming (doesn't Kontakt have an add-on disc streaming dll?). Anything that accesses files for the audio process needs to be multithreaded, thus may run a timer based sample reader on separete thread/core.

Now what we do is, we open a thread for each voice and let the system decide what core to run them on. This turned out to be faster than any "clever" scheduling we tried to come up with ourselves, including some hosts that think they're smarter in this.

Unfortunately it doesn't help much on multicore cpus with shared memory controllers. But it works wonders on i5/i7 and whatever else came out in recent years.

8)

Cheers,

Urs
30th April 2012
Old 30th April 2012

Replaced my old dual core with an I7 2600k processor, and now Diva is actually playable.

Instead of bringing my system to a halt by playing 2 notes, I can actually get decent polyphony on a lot of patches. I can actually play in 'Divine' mode a lot of the time as well. Some patches are too heavy still, particularly long envelope release times, but for the most part this synth is a total beast,

Even though my processor is fairly new, Ableton still doesn't like running more than 1, and at the most 2 instances of Diva.

Does anyone know if there is support for multiple cores?
30th April 2012
Old 30th April 2012
Lives for gear

on his forum on kvr there is a 1.1 which is a RC. that does and it has optimisation in general too.It may be released today as a GM

rsp
6th May 2012
Old 6th May 2012
Gear maniac

Diva 1.1 is out - improved sound quality! how do you rate new sound engine?

new version 1.1 of diva is out:

Diva

"Diva 1.1 sounds like a freshly refurbished piece of analogue hardware. We've polished the attack transients and added a bit more sheen to the VCO models."

it uses less cpu, but i don't want this thread to get bogged down in all that!

my only question is, how do you rate the new sound engine next to version 1 AND real analogue?

my big discovery is to get any VSTi to compare to analogue you MUST either run it out and back into the computer via some good bit of gear, or if you have nebula run it through a pre-amp simulation on that (fate comp pre is my favorite). that will help to take away the 'flat' sound. then you can concentrate on the actual qualities of the emulation rather than thinking 'this just sucks, it sounds flat!'

i am considering selling at least my MS6
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search