Maschine vs Spark vs Tempest
New Reply
Subscribe
muziksculp
29th October 2011
Old 29th October 2011
Lives for gear

Maschine vs Spark vs Tempest

NI Maschine vs Arturia Spark vs DSI Tempest ?

If you had to pick one of the above options, Which one would you choose ? and Why ?
29th October 2011
Old 29th October 2011
Lives for gear

Two are completely different than the other.

Two fit similar needs and circumstances, the other is completely different.

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com App

"IMO VST's cannot also be VA's." --- dankelly

"We are gentle and dont point with the finger at it.. one in a while.. no big deal..
And the kids can use them all the time.. no problem.. in the kindergarden.. not on the street of cause..
" --- 3phase
29th October 2011
Old 29th October 2011
Gear interested

There is only one option here for me: Tempest. The other two are computer based which disqualifies them because of the workflow. I'm just waiting for the Tempest OS upgrades so that I can buy a complete product.
muziksculp
29th October 2011
Old 29th October 2011
Lives for gear

Yes, I know TEMPEST is different than the other two, but regardless of that, which one would you choose (as a rhythm making tool that has a HW interface) ? I mean for your type of music genre/projects, setup, ...etc. ?
29th October 2011
Old 29th October 2011
Lives for gear

Which one would I choose? What, am I getting one free?

Ill take a Tempest, thanks, PM me for my address.

Really, if you have to ask this question, you havent done enough research. Read the manuals of all products involved and try watching some youtube user videos.
29th October 2011
Old 29th October 2011
Lives for gear

For pure sample manipulation I am used to and prefer Ableton so I just sold my Maschine. I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would, even after VST support was added. I have the feeling that if I were making HipHop I would have enjoyed it more (haha I don't know wtf that means but...) the excitement of it just wore off for me really quick. The spark seems cool but after spending some time with the Maschine I felt what I really wanted was an analog drum machine, which is why I put my Maschine $$ up and ordered the Tempest. Hopefully it will satisfy my craving for tactile beat creation.
29th October 2011
Old 29th October 2011
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Spark has had some pretty shoddy reviews...I think about buying maschine every month but in truth I doubt Id use it much, Im kinda hooked on Ableton...so Id go with tempest, it looks a little beast
30th October 2011
Old 30th October 2011
Gear nut

Tempest doesn't seem to belong here
muziksculp
30th October 2011
Old 30th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plugses View Post
Tempest doesn't seem to belong here
Isn't TEMPEST a rhythm machine ? I think so, and so are the other two.

The only difference is that TEMPEST is of the analog variety

I'm just asking which one would you choose given these 3 options. I'm not asking if they belong in a specific category, they are all Rhythm machines, please correct me if I'm not right.

For example, I like what SPARK has to offer, and feel it is what I would choose, others might like TEMPEST because it's ANALOG and they might like the analog sound of rhythm machines better, or some other specific functionality. MASCHINE has its share of advantages too.

It's just a matter of choice as far as I see. Not a matter of belonging.
30th October 2011
Old 30th October 2011
Lives for gear

Its a matter of choice in the same sense that you have a choice to buy a Dodge Neon or a Landrover.

They're both vehicles.

muziksculp
30th October 2011
Old 30th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sftd View Post
Its a matter of choice in the same sense that you have a choice to buy a Dodge Neon or a Landrover.

They're both vehicles.

OK... So .... What's your choice ?
30th October 2011
Old 30th October 2011
Lives for gear

Well, out of the two it would be the Landrover. However, I'm a Landcruiser (I own 4!) fanatic, so the only reason I'd choose the Landrover in that situation is it would be a similar class of vehicle.

But, as any Landcruiser owner can tell you, the Landrover boys have to turn around and go home two miles into the heart of Moab.

The Toyota owners just say "seeya on the other side!"

30th October 2011
Old 30th October 2011
Lives for gear

muziksculp
30th October 2011
Old 30th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well, out of the two it would be the Landrover. However, I'm a Landcruiser (I own 4!) fanatic, so the only reason I'd choose the Landrover in that situation is it would be a similar class of vehicle.

But, as any Landcruiser owner can tell you, the Landrover boys have to turn around and go home two miles into the heart of Moab.

The Toyota owners just say "seeya on the other side!"

Great choice I didn't know they had installed the latest, and greatest sounding Rhythm machine into the Landrover console
16th November 2011
Old 16th November 2011
Gear interested

I would go with spark out of preferance.

Well to be honest they are a bit hard to compare as spark is a drum synthesizer and maschine being more of a sampler/midi controller/ sequencer.

Maschine does have a lot more functions. in terms of a central workstation as well it is pretty decent for hip hop beat makers.That being said, if you are into electronic music like me, maschine is too basic in terms of beat making and the interface is not that fun to use. The reason I say spark is brilliant is because it is a drum Synthesizer allowing you to find your kicks, hats, snares etc and tweak them to your liking, the basic foundation in your setup to start with beats. It also has a decent touch effects pad. Basically using the spark plugin inside Ableton( thats what I use) is brilliant, my foundation of the track is built around the spark drum kit and my other sounds would be derived from plugin synths.

The perfect setup would be the arturia spark with the virus ti(my dream synth) and thats the best combination for electronic music right there. Two beasts of sound to have your setup around to make an easy workflow.

Again this is just my opinion, as that would be a smooth workflow for me. I may not find the maschine so good because I use Ableton and when I try running the maschine as a plugin through ableton it does not sit over so smooth. I just end up making pointless beats for hours on end ( its fun but not really productive)
16th November 2011
Old 16th November 2011
Lives for gear

If there were no money considerations, the Tempest of course.

Between the Spark and Maschine, I personally would probably go for Spark. I like their interface a lot, it's close enough to a groovebox that it should be a lot of fun to mess with.
16th November 2011
Old 16th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

They're both vehicles.

I think it goes even further than that...

vs

vs
17th November 2011
Old 17th November 2011
Gear addict

Not really sure why alot of people are ready to jump the gun and immediately say they would want the Tempest when they have not even tried one. I have a good friend that loaned me the tempest that was sent to him from DSI to try and he was kind enough to let me have a go at it. I had it for a little over a week and I was not impressed at all. Although the sounds may be nice they are nothing unique or something you could not get from samples. Secondly, Programing this thing was a complete BITCH, scrolling through that tiny screen for every parameter even bringing up kits was cumbersome. Don't get me wrong I love analog gear, I owne 18 vintage analog synths and I owned a TR-909 at one point but for me I found that Samples for analog drums were and are just as good. So I did the next best thing and bought a Mashine. I can't speak enough about how great it is for drums, I didn't even have to read a manual and was programing some great beats in no time. Mashine is very easy intuitive and hands on, you are able to get to what you want in seconds and to me that is extremely important. Now as far as sound goes the Mashine sounds awesome and you get an arsenal of sounds that come with it not to mention all the extras you can get.
Thirdly Tempest = $2000 Mashine =$599 and that's a no brainer. I got mine from Craigs list for $300 from a guy that had owned it for only 3 weeks and needed cash.
I also thought that the Tempest just sounded ok as far as analog goes and many times I said to myself after having owned a 909, the Tempest sounded like new analog that can easily be replaced with samples

Lastly my friend that is a complete gear head and owns tons of analog including a huge Euro Modular ended up with Mashine and sold the Tempest because he felt the same way.

So those were my 2 cents.

Mashine Mashine Mashine Mashine Mashine Mashine Mashine Mashine
Mashine Mashine Mashine Mashine Mashine Mashine Mashine Mashine!
DSK
17th November 2011
Old 17th November 2011
DSK
Lives for gear

For what you want to do? Great drum programming?

Xfer Nerve with the PadKontrol build.

As for the Tempest it's a crazy crazy machine...drums? how about full OTB songs..

I hadn't been so psyched by a piece of hardware in ages.

It's an extremely inspiring piece of gear. But you have to be a live oriented person as it's more of a instrument rather than a machine *pun intended.
17th November 2011
Old 17th November 2011
Lives for gear

YOu will also have to take a look at machinedrum, or the octatrack.
17th November 2011
Old 17th November 2011
Lives for gear

Tempest because of the live manipulation,the sequencer,the analog filters,comp,distortion, and features like fit to scale. I also like the road less traveled.
17th November 2011
Old 17th November 2011
Lives for gear

I'd take maschine and tempest, skip the spark.
17th November 2011
Old 17th November 2011
Lives for gear

I got Maschine just last week. When it was released I was sooooo skeptical ("why would you want to have the weakness of a computer in your setup") after years they finally convinced me to try it out. It took one day and I was in love! It's not the weakness of the computer with some of the strengths of the hardware, it's the strengths of both!

After ONE day I don't even have to have the plugin open anymore. I'm like a ninja tweaking that sucker now. It's intuitive and with Komplete 8 in there it's a pretty bad ass sounding thing too.

The day after I got Maschine I woke up and my first thought was to play it. I can't even remember the last time I felt that way with any instrument/plugin/fx.

I don't know if Spark is good or not and I haven't tried Tempest, I'd expect it to be a fine unit, I'm just sharing my love for Maschine - an INSTRUMENT that took me years to even consider trying but won me over in a matter of minutes.

Good luck.
17th November 2011
Old 17th November 2011
Lives for gear

Between Spark & Maschine I'd definitely choose maschine its sound is much more the kind of sharp punch thing I like, its sequencing & automation capabilities are superior to sparks and its ability to host VSTs natively is excellent.

Want some promotion? Submit mixes to TechnoMusicNews.com
I guarantee you get a decent number of listens.
30th August 2012
Old 30th August 2012
Gear Head

Uuuugh? Hello Folks! Tempest is a $2000 Analog Drum machine/synth. Completely different that Maschine or Spark. Not even in the same family. Apples and Oranges dude.

Thats like comparing a remote control airplane with a 747 jumbo jet.
30th August 2012
Old 30th August 2012
Gear Head

Analog Drum Synthesis vs a software sampler??????? seriously?

Tempest is basically a Synthesizer/on board Sequencer Etc. Etc.

Maschine is basically Kontakt with a controller! not so literal of course.

Tempest vs 808 / 909 / Vermona DK MII / LinnDrum / ....makes a more sense, even though Tempest Goes beyond all other Drum Synths with all the options with todays technology.

Compare Tempest with current Drum Synths Like Metasonix crazy TUBE drum machine....

Compare Maschine & Spark to AKIA MPC. Although the MPC is Harware ...The AKIA MPC Doesnt create drums its a sampler etc. ....like NI Maschine & Spark.

So ask your self if you want to use Samples----- or if you have the $$$ create your own analog drums (or use the presets whatever etc) and possibly even sell your own Sample Libraries. Thats ANALOG what ever you create is YOURS.
30th August 2012
Old 30th August 2012
Gear Head

Should i get a real Juno or TAL Uno??? hahahahaha Cmon dude.
30th August 2012
Old 30th August 2012
Lives for gear

You do realize you're replying (without quoting who you're replying to) to 10-month old posts, don't you?
30th August 2012
Old 30th August 2012
Gear Head

should i "rent" a condo .. or "buy" a 10 Million Dollar Estate ....yes you live in both, but COMPLETELY different dude.

Ableton Live or an actual SSL G Console with studio to match (maybe a little extreme...but)
30th August 2012
Old 30th August 2012
Lives for gear

Hey Jackofall:

You do realize you're replying (without quoting who you're replying to) to 10-month old posts, don't you?

DON'T YOU?
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search