mic pres/ audio interfaces I dont understand Help Please!
Old 12th October 2011
Gear maniac

mic pres/ audio interfaces I dont understand Help Please!

Right now I have a golden age Pre Amp and a Mobilepre audio interface.

My signal chain is blueberry mic --> golden age pre amp --> Mobile pre --> Computer.

Is the mobilepre affecting my sound quality/ coloring it.

I need to have the amp turned up on the mobile pre to get a good signal ,but I don't want it to affect my signal chain and pretty much just be a chain between the computer and my golden age pre amp.

Also with this chain when recording vocals the vocals are coming in twice on the left speaker and once of the right. So it sounds like the vocal is substantially louder on the left speaker which is EXTREMELY ANNOYING.

I'm thinking of just selling the golden age pre amp and mobile pre to purchase and apogee duet 2 and be done with it! Appreciate any advice thank you.
Old 12th October 2011
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by celerysux View Post
Right now I have a golden age Pre Amp and a Mobilepre audio interface.

My signal chain is blueberry mic --> golden age pre amp --> Mobile pre --> Computer.

Is the mobilepre affecting my sound quality/ coloring it.

I need to have the amp turned up on the mobile pre to get a good signal ,but I don't want it to affect my signal chain and pretty much just be a chain between the computer and my golden age pre amp.

Also with this chain when recording vocals the vocals are coming in twice on the left speaker and once of the right. So it sounds like the vocal is substantially louder on the left speaker which is EXTREMELY ANNOYING.

I'm thinking of just selling the golden age pre amp and mobile pre to purchase and apogee duet 2 and be done with it! Appreciate any advice thank you.
everything in the chain colors some
the more stuff in the chain the more color

are you really running one pre into another pre
does that mike have like zeroplus output?
why so much extra gain ?

you should first turn up the first pre to about 80%
then add gain if you need it with the 2nd pre
try to run both about 50-80% if possible
but first one should be higher to keep noise lower
then add what is needed

your vocal problem makes no sense
just how did you cable everything to get one channel twice?
Old 12th October 2011
Lives for gear
I would not think you would need to turn up the gain much on the interface if you had the gain up on the golden age pre. The blueberry mic has a good bit of sensitivity, so you should not have to crank the pre too much.

But, yeah, unless those line inputs on the back of the interface bypass the interface pres (I doubt if they do), you are sending signal thru 2 preamp circuits.

You have a nice mic and preamp, so a better interface might be a nice upgrade - get one with line ins that bypass the pres.
Old 12th October 2011
Just bypass the pre's on the Mobilepre, go in through the line in's.

Old 12th October 2011
Gear maniac

Thanks for the replies. The mobile pre only has 2 mic inputs and no line inputs. So I have to plug in the xlr cable into one of those two and can't bypass the preamp. I guess it's time for a new audio interface.

What would be the cheapest high quality audio interface? I just need something with 1 channel really. I only need it to record vocals, all my instruments are soft synths.

What seems to be happening is that my Imac is outputting whatever is recorded by the mic on the left speaker and left speaker only, even if I don't have the record button activated in logic pro 9. Then when I hit recording in logic pro 9 it'll come out from both speakers ,but my computer is also still outputting from the left channel. I'm assuming it's coming out from the left channel because I have it connected to the left mic1 input on my mobile pre.

How can I get my Imac to stop outputting and only have it come from logic pro?
Old 12th October 2011

get the Apple "Audio MIDI Setup" utillity application
you can check which interface to use in there. (the built in one or some other)
then check "software monitoring" in Logic
Logic Pro 9 User Manual
yup time for another interface.
get something good. RME, or Duet 2.
Old 12th October 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by celerysux View Post
Thanks for the replies. The mobile pre only has 2 mic inputs and no line inputs. So I have to plug in the xlr cable into one of those two and can't bypass the preamp. I guess it's time for a new audio interface.

What would be the cheapest high quality audio interface? I just need something with 1 channel really. I only need it to record vocals, all my instruments are soft synths.

What seems to be happening is that my Imac is outputting whatever is recorded by the mic on the left speaker and left speaker only, even if I don't have the record button activated in logic pro 9. Then when I hit recording in logic pro 9 it'll come out from both speakers ,but my computer is also still outputting from the left channel. I'm assuming it's coming out from the left channel because I have it connected to the left mic1 input on my mobile pre.

How can I get my Imac to stop outputting and only have it come from logic pro?
This pic of the Mobile Pre shows line inputs:
http://www.m-audio.com/images/global...lePre-back.jpg
Do you have an earlier version of the Mobile Pre?

Your left-speaker-only issue sounds like somewhere your channel is set to stereo (and you are feeding only left signal) where it needs to be set to mono. My Emu 0404 USB interface had a mono button I could hit to make the same sound come out of both speakers.

Low cost + high quality is scarce, but these are good (low cost, high quality sound, cheap box):
Mackie Blackjack ($150)
Emu 0404 USB ($200, now discontinued but you can find them used)

Going up:
Emu 1616m ($450)
Mackie Blackbird ($500)
Echo Audiofire stuff gets good reviews as well

Going up more:
Apogee Duet ($600)
RME Babyface ($750)

What's your budget?
Old 12th October 2011
Are you sure about that, looks like combi inputs on the photos, then you can switch them to line in the maudio software?

A good lowcost option is the TC Konnekt Desktop 6

Old 12th October 2011
Gear addict
On the first-generation MobilePre (made around 2006), there's a single line input for Channel 1 on the front panel. Use this input if you have this version.

On the second generation MobilePre there are two 1/4" line input jacks on the back. Use one of these inputs if you have this version.

Neither of those seem to be running through the MobilePre's preamps, so that should help your situation somewhat. Also, sounds to me like the MobilePre has its own mixer application; these are often included for stuff like "zero latency" monitoring and mixing directly on the interface. If you do and it's enabled, then disable monitoring while you record in your DAW. You can also disable it (turn the monitor output all the way down) if you don't need "zero latency" monitoring.
Old 13th October 2011
Gear addict

The Duet is a very nice and very clean interface with clean mic pres. The A/D is also good, so if you can do that, go for it, there will be times when you want it. Also, the inputs are combo; direct and otherwise.

In your I/O settings set your channel input to line in. When I use my Pre-73, my line level is all the way down, my Pre 73 input level is at -20 (nearly always) and then I dial the output to taste or necessity.

Personally, I like the character of the Pre 73, and think that it's complimentary in an arsenal with the Apogees.

And of course don't forget to turn on the phantom power.
Old 13th October 2011
Gear maniac

thanks for all the replies. this seems to be a problem other people are having with no fix.
Mono Audio in Left Channel Only [Archive] - TechSmith User-to-User Forums
at least when i record it does come out of both speakers from logic pro. But if I record to photobooth it's always one speaker.

My version of the mobile pre has 1 line in on the front. I never knew that I could use an xlr to 1/8 in jack to bypass the pre amp on the mobile pre. I'm going to try to get one today to see if it helps the audio quality.

My budget would be around 600$ for my audio interface. I'm pretty good with finding deals also so I could probably get somethings a little more expensive in that price range.

Something else I've always wondered is how do you plug in outboard gear? Does it go into your audio interface? I've always just used my mic set up + axiom25 and plugins. I'm looking into some outboard gear in the future and would an apogee duet 2 hinder me? It doesn't seem to have many ins/outs for me plugin gear to unless the breakout cable helps with that.
Old 17th April 2012
Gear addict

I know this is an old thread, but if I started a new thread about this, Id get all kinds of 'do an effin search" replies so yea.. lol. I have the older MobilePre and use an ISA One into the MobilePre. Ive been hooking it up in the back. On the front it has a channel 1 inst/line, which is what youre referring to. Ive been hooking up the ISA One into the back of the MobilePre where its labeled 'channel 2 inst/line', and it doesnt bypass the pre's. This leads me to believe that bypassing the MobilePres pre's cant be done?

Im a little confused why they would put one inst/line on the front for channel one, and the channel 2 inst/line on the back. Anyways if the gain is all the way down on the MobilePre, I dont get signal or it sounds terrible so I have to turn it up at least a little to get a clean signal, Ive been told if you have to adjust the gain on the MobilePre and it affects it.. youre not bypassing the pres?
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search