Login / Register

John Bowen Solaris owners ?
New Reply
Subscribe
21st February 2012
Old 21st February 2012
Lives for gear

I played one next to an andromeda. I pick it over the andromeda.

It sounds really good. Very nice, musical instrument. And the keybed feels nice as well.
21st February 2012
Old 21st February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEED78 View Post
I want to know the same obvious questions others do - does it cover the sounds of older major player poly synths with a high quality sound that can be compared to the Prophet 08 or Andromeda or better?
the oscillators will certainly not behave like the A6's oscillators.
of the dozen or so solaris demos i've heard none were at all reminiscient or even in the same ballpark - and how can they be?
for starters, before you even play a note, you don't have to let the solaris warm up before playing it. A6 is notoriously unstable in this regard; out of all 30+ vco synths i've had A6 is by far the most unstable - 32 frikkin VCOs
as you play up the keyboard on an A6 the difference is more and more noticeable they way the high frequencies swirl and phase vs. any digital synth.
despite designers' best efforts this behavior can't be programmed in, either; it's just the nature of the beast = hence current popularity and value of VCO polys.

don't get me wrong - i am excited to try the solaris, too
but expecting any VA to replace a VCO-based poly is wishful thinking, at best. we're a looooong way from emulating those things completely, imho.
solaris still sounds entirely digitally-generated to me. and that's not a bad thing; i have digital oscillators and LFOs and EGs in my modular, too.

but it is what is and it isn't a VCO poly. "a reasonable approximation" - yes. perhaps the best around. <-----but that is NOT important in the end
what only matters is if it is a great instrument of it's own character. let the VCO polys do what they do best and let Solaris do what only it can do. that's the test.

21st February 2012
Old 21st February 2012
Lives for gear

but amazing things happen when you just warm up an Andromeda for an hour balance the levels properly and turn off all the tunings mmmmmmmph

id love to try a solaris in person some of the clips sound amazing
22nd February 2012
Old 22nd February 2012
Lives for gear

John Bowen himself has said that it won't do a perfect emulation of analog, and anyone with decent ears should be able to hear that that is correct. It won't, and I don't think fans will do the synth any service by claiming it can.

Good thing is, that's just another good reason to have more than one synth
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Lives for gear

Well to my ears when doing a blind tests with these files I have big difficulties to identify the real one and even I prefer the Solaris one most of the time ....
http://m.soundcloud.com/alexg2
Do you hear a difference ?
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Lives for gear

Location: fear and loathing across the country, listening to my 8-track

Quote:
Originally Posted by isham View Post
Do you hear a difference ?
Yes. Very much so.
What are you listening on? Laptop speakers, headphones, or monitors?
Just in the first two demos of Solaris vs. Jupiter 8, A/B...
listen to the bass. Then later, listen to the phasing and depth.

Now, this won't detract me from the Solaris because I'm not looking to
emulate a Jupiter 8, or even use the Solaris as a bass synth... I'm thinking
more ethereal/pad/ect, ala Wavestation. I like analog/modular/ mono for
bass/leads. Solaris works better for my tastes w/ polyphony. It's already
going to be harmonically rich with chords and then bass/leads... you need
balance. Can't all be PAHT. Otherwise...
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Lives for gear

Yes listening with small headphones I admit. -;( will do another listening with monitoring ; yes the bass on some parts is different but I can not say which one is better !
Yeahhh too much phat in 1 track is no good -
2nd April 2012
Old 2nd April 2012
Gear addict

2nd April 2012
Old 2nd April 2012
Lives for gear

Quite impressive ambient/soundtrack moves there, nice.

Not sure if you're serious about the DX7/Magnus?
2nd April 2012
Old 2nd April 2012
Gear Guru

2nd April 2012
Old 2nd April 2012
Gear addict

It's pretty easy to get warmth with the Waldorf Wavetables. I always loved Waldorfs and Prophet VS on the originals but on a PC/Mac they are too brittle.
Solaris does not suffer from that side effect.
It actually does great Oberheim, Sequential, CS80 and Moog sounds with ease.
The choise of Filters is staggering and the differences are very noticable.
Also when adding resonance you don't lose db levels of the Oscillators like on most synths I have tried out.

I'll post a few more excerpts and some with the chicky-ticky BOOV_BOOV stuff butAnalog enulations will be the sound du jour.
FAT swelling suckers too not just comps.
Gotsta hear them Filters modulating into frequencies only a bat could hear..
Ohx
2nd April 2012
Old 2nd April 2012
Ohx
Gear addict

Totally can't Wait until you Throw some more demos Up of this Bad boy Jim!!

Even for Digital it has a Thick and Loving sound to it and a Randomization of sorts in the Timbre that I can Never achieve with computer Game native systems.
2nd April 2012
Old 2nd April 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamsterjim View Post
I'll post a few more excerpts and some with the chicky-ticky BOOV_BOOV stuff butAnalog enulations will be the sound du jour.
Yes! And I would like to hear more more basic synthhorns, synthstrings, and other sounds that old analog synths sounded so great with.

A girl comes towards you, you once used to know
You reach out your hand, but you're all alone

2nd April 2012
Old 2nd April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hamburglar View Post
I have not been impressed by any sounds I have heard (yet.)
I don't get it either. I think if you told me this was all done by a VST, I still wouldn't be impressed... or surprised.
Ohx
2nd April 2012
Old 2nd April 2012
Ohx
Gear addict

To all of those who don't "get" the Solaris, I offer this advice.

The only way to truly get it is to from this point on capitalize random words in every body of text you write.

In addition, you'll need to use a series of street-tough-esq catch phrases as well. Here are some good ones to try "you need a dog that can hunt", "this ain't my first rodeo" etc.

Then, last but not least, no matter what you're discussing, mention the deficiencies of the "native" environment, hopefully with a quick comparison to making music with a video game console, in every body of text as well.

Once you Nail all These, YOU will understand the Power of Solaris, because at that Point it won't Be your first rodeo and you'll have a dog that Can hunt unlike Those sissy native game Players.
2nd April 2012
Old 2nd April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Also when adding resonance you don't lose db levels of the Oscillators like on most synths I have tried out.
Surely this is something that SHOULD happen on a Moog modelled filter, because the original exhibited the same behavior?
2nd April 2012
Old 2nd April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Surely this is something that SHOULD happen on a Moog modelled filter, because the original exhibited the same behavior?
While technically correct for a 'moog' ladder filter, I would say that's a question of taste, I have several moog emulations that offer the choice though (either via a switch or a 'fat slider or etc). I tend to prefer keeping the body of sound intact as modern compositions are often more layered and you wind up having to add more compression or etc to compensate.
Ohx
2nd April 2012
Old 2nd April 2012
Ohx
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by valis View Post
While technically correct for a 'moog' ladder filter, I would say that's a question of taste, I have several moog emulations that offer the choice though (either via a switch or a 'fat slider or etc). I tend to prefer keeping the body of sound intact as modern compositions are often more layered and you wind up having to add more compression or etc to compensate.
[REMOVED BY MODERATOR - quit the personal attacks please?! OFF TOPIC Warning!]

Last edited by Reptil; 3rd April 2012 at 01:48 AM.. Reason: inflammatory text removed by moderator - OFF TOPIC
3rd April 2012
Old 3rd April 2012
Gear maniac

Send a message via Skype™ to MinoCan
3rd April 2012
Old 3rd April 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Yepp, and most SSM/CEM based synths Filters were like this too.
That's why it nice to have a Digital synth with many of the old analog traits so accurate, and even some that are available that weren't on the old beasts.
One of my favorites is the way I can assign certain amounts of glide to each Oscillator and then hear all 4 start and stop with different timings.

When you hear a Violin Section playing Unison it's usually very pleasing and with good intonation, but when they glide, each players interpretation of vibrato and glide are always slightly different, and the seperate Oscillator Glide reminds me of this.
3rd April 2012
Old 3rd April 2012
Lives for gear

i have serial #5 in Cincinnati, the first white one in the U.S. PM me if you want to come hear it. I also have an andromeda and a voyager. For monitoring, I have ASP8's and Spriral Groove anima's.

I love my solaris. It has awesome tone. If I ever had to sell any of my synths, it would be in this order, Andromeda, voyager, but never the Solaris.

qtuner

http://www.transplantfund.org/Restri...TOKEN=85932983
3rd April 2012
Old 3rd April 2012
Gear maniac

I was between a solaris and a Red Andromeda. Decided for an Andromeda. Judging by the sound (of course from a laptop) i definitely prefer the Andromeda. I searched for every Solaris demos and non of them caught me in.
3rd April 2012
Old 3rd April 2012
Lives for gear

The most important question of all: Does it do Supersaw ?!?!?
3rd April 2012
Old 3rd April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yepp, and most SSM/CEM based synths Filters were like this too.
That's why it nice to have a Digital synth with many of the old analog traits so accurate, and even some that are available that weren't on the old beasts.
One of my favorites is the way I can assign certain amounts of glide to each Oscillator and then hear all 4 start and stop with different timings.

When you hear a Violin Section playing Unison it's usually very pleasing and with good intonation, but when they glide, each players interpretation of vibrato and glide are always slightly different, and the seperate Oscillator Glide reminds me of this.
That's extremely cool about the glide!
3rd April 2012
Old 3rd April 2012
Lives for gear

If I was to drop 4K on a digital synth (and I would in a heartbeat for the Solaris) the last thing on my mind would be to see how it emulates other gear. The Solaris has a personality all it's own.
3rd April 2012
Old 3rd April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarlywarly View Post
If I was to drop 4K on a digital synth (and I would in a heartbeat for the Solaris) the last thing on my mind would be to see how it emulates other gear. The Solaris has a personality all it's own.
I remember when I had a Kyma system that loads of users were asking for a moog filter.....

It almost pissed me off! These people had created a monster synth that could do incredible things that Moog never even dreamt of as well as sounding phenomenal and people wanted a VCO-VCF-VCA replica

The Solaris looks like a deep enough machine to be worth investing tome and money in. If I could, I would. I would however need to use it in the studio to see how the sounds fitted in a mix.
4th April 2012
Old 4th April 2012
Lives for gear

a French musician posted a very good demo on audiokeys.net
it's a reference to a Gary Numan song "are friends electric ?" all synth parts are from Solaris, sound juicy to my ears ;-)
Is Solaris Electric ?
30th April 2012
Old 30th April 2012
Gear interested

Of course

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hamburglar View Post
I have not been impressed by any sounds I have heard (yet.)
Perhaps you have not programmed any sounds yourself ...
30th April 2012
Old 30th April 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfuego View Post
I was between a solaris and a Red Andromeda. Decided for an Andromeda. Judging by the sound (of course from a laptop) i definitely prefer the Andromeda. I searched for every Solaris demos and non of them caught me in.
Well, if you wanted a real analog, you have a really great synth in the Andy --- I own one myself.

On the other hand, if you were to have to choose between digitals like the Jupiter 80, the Kronos or Solaris, well - I purchased a SOLARIS.

It all depends what you're going for. The Jupiter 80 is the worst and Roland don't listen to their users ---- John Bowen cares for and listens to his users.

If you want to get fat stacked sounds, get Komplete-8 from Native Instruments with a 12-Core Mac Pro tower and you will have all the horsepower and polyphony.

I bought the SOLARIS for its sound-design, sound quality and attention to performance parameter control detail --- a great gui design.

Cheers!
30th April 2012
Old 30th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxiesmerge View Post
Perhaps you have not programmed any sounds yourself ...
If you expect from someone to get impressed by actually playing a Solaris, then you are far off from reality, because that synth is not available anywhere for a demo (its distribution/promotion sucks). It's mainly a boutique product and like with most of these products, someone has to judge them by audio demos.

The general tone characteristics are easily distinguishable in any isolated audio example for any instrument. I have bought some of my best synths based on audio examples and specs and I was never wrong.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search