Cevin Key is releasing some new synth modules
Old 12th September 2011
Gear nut

Cevin Key is releasing some new synth modules

Old 12th September 2011

the old M15 and M37 but then in SMT (parts)
unknown if Plan B was sold or this is a licencing of the designs?

the oscillator in particular is very good (I got a v2 and v2.5), though there are more options out there now that have a triangle core than 3 years ago. Bubblesound for instance, and Intellijel.
it would be interesting to hear the old (good) M15 next to the new one. (SMT does sound a little different?)
Old 12th September 2011
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Peter Grenader from plan B did license these two designs. he has nothing to do with them otherwise. apparently there is a deal in place for the fees for licensing to go to pay off debts of Plan B. there are a handful of people who are owed not small sums of money by Peter so the fact that this is going to pay off some of those debts is a very good thing. anything to square the ugly chapter of Plan B's history is a good thing.

plus, the M15 is a really nice sound oscillator. i have the last plan B rev of the M15 and dig it a lot. can't say i care for the new panel design. glad i have the older one.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Saw these the other day. Still the same modules with another skin with Subconscious (studios) on them. It would be cool to see Cevin Key be a part of designing some modules though.
Old 12th September 2011
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rids View Post
Saw these the other day. Still the same modules with another skin with Subconscious (studios) on them. It would be cool to see Cevin Key be a part of designing some modules though.
these are SMT technology. different building process which is arguably a good thing in this case since there were various build/design issues with some revisions of Plan B products.

is cevin key an engineer or anything? just curious. i know he's got a reasonably large modular system but wasn't aware he was into designing circuits.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

As big of a fan as i am of cEvin key i really doubt he had much to do with the circuit design. Also to me $380 for a VCO is rather steep. But hey what do i know.
Old 13th September 2011

yeah it's steep, but it's got some tricks
M15 $380
To put the price into perspective here's some others (not all):
Macbeth x-series $699 (vintage tone)
Herz Donut $450 (dual - one is modulating source)
Morphing Terrarium $379 (digital wavetable)
Cwejman VCO-6 $525 (extended outputs)
Doepfer a-111 $349 (CEM 3340)
Livewire AFG $399 (extensive controls)
Trogotronic M666 $325 (dual with filters and weirdness)
MFB OSC2 $299 (dual)
Kilpatrick K3020 $899 (dual)

and some less complicated, cheaper oscillators:
Malekko Wiard Unkle Oscillator $250
Doepfer a-110 $199
tiptop audio Z3000 $245
Pittsburg oscillator $219
Bubblesound VCOB $225

so, you see? it's sort of in the middle segment.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

^ thanks for the low-down. I guess its relatively reasonable then. To be fair i've really only shopped entry level modular stuff. doepfer A-100 and Dot-Com stuff. Thats more likely with my budget.
Old 13th September 2011

cheaper doesn't make it bad (at all), just less functions in one module and sometimes a different sound.
there's some very good modular stuff in the lower pricerange, often overlooked. the cool thing about a modular is that you can build unique complex sounds with a chain of simple modules.

another route is DIY. both in 5u and eurorack. you can save a LOT of $$

the M15 is nice though, it's got balls. the new colorsceme is something you love or hate. lol
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search