Login / Register

Is this really how 'chords' are made now? (deadmau5)
New Reply
Subscribe
Jonny_silva
16th August 2011
Old 16th August 2011
Gear maniac

Is this really how 'chords' are made now? (deadmau5)

Was watching this video claiming to be a tutorial about Deadmau5 chords, was just wondering if these are the actual type of chords he uses?? Youd need a hand span of about 2ft to pull these off!

The thing is they sound good I just cant imagine doing chords like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-BEVJlRMpI

16th August 2011
Old 16th August 2011
Lives for gear

16th August 2011
Old 16th August 2011
Gear Guru

That's kind of what sequencers were invented for, right?

1) do they do the trick - yup
2) will anyone notice - nope
3) does anyone care - nope
16th August 2011
Old 16th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny_silva View Post
Youd need a hand span of about 2ft to pull these off!

The thing is they sound good I just cant imagine doing chords like this...

Quite...

As the video proves you need really long arms to be able to play chords like these.

Better just stick to the traditional chords from your "how to play piano" book. That's how the rest of us mere mortals do it anyway.
Jonny_silva
16th August 2011
Old 16th August 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhollmusik View Post
Quite...

As the video proves you need really long arms to be able to play chords like these.

Better just stick to the traditional chords from your "how to play piano" book. That's how the rest of us mere mortals do it anyway.

Are you trying to patronize me here?
16th August 2011
Old 16th August 2011
Lives for gear

what else are you going to use? Music theory? *vomits* Its much more fun just programming random chords that don't even exist.
Jonny_silva
16th August 2011
Old 16th August 2011
Gear maniac

I was just asking if this is how they are actually made or wether it was just this guy who made the video getting it all wrong?

I personally dont have a problem with it because after all if its good its good, I just never tried making chords this way before.
16th August 2011
Old 16th August 2011
Lives for gear

Those types of chords are a product of primarily using a sequencer rather than playing by hand. I have watched the evolution of that style and I'd have to say that I believe DM really brought it out into popularity. Once you understand it, because in a lot of instances it's oddly removed from what one would normally do when writing by hand, you'll notice it all over electrohousish stuff post deadmau5.

I'd stretch to say that 90% of the time it is all originated as a monophonic line, then stacked and moved.

Its the same concept as having multiple oscilators at different octave/semitone values but far easier to control, can be done with any synth regardless of oscillator count, and when you actually change a chord outside of just octaving you don't have to do a lot of complex automation to have the oscillator change it's pitch back and forth.

Try this:

Write a monophonic bassline or melody, then make it polyphonic by duplicating that sequence an octave below, above, and then one more above that. Now you have these four note "chords" that are just the same note playing in four different octaves, for the DM stuff you may want to go up to 5/6 octaves worth. Now as each note goes along in the sequence every so often (although it's four or six or however many notes now) pick one of the octaves and move it to another note, now it's no longer just one note in multiple octaves, but a "chord". Go through your bassline and move one at a time in places you'd like, then go and move another etc etc.

deadmau5.

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com App

"IMO VST's cannot also be VA's." --- dankelly

"We are gentle and dont point with the finger at it.. one in a while.. no big deal..
And the kids can use them all the time.. no problem.. in the kindergarden.. not on the street of cause..
" --- 3phase
16th August 2011
Old 16th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Are you trying to patronize me here?
No.

It's spelt patronise, by the way.
16th August 2011
Old 16th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sftd View Post
I'd stretch to say that 90% of the time it is all originated as a monophonic line, then stacked and moved.
This sounds feasible.
Jonny_silva
16th August 2011
Old 16th August 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
No.

I know but my american spelling predictive text thing kindly changed it for me
16th August 2011
Old 16th August 2011
Lives for gear

to add, the key is not thinking in terms of chords when the original line is written, think of it only as a monophonic melody line, that makes the rest of the process easier on the brain especially if you're comfortable with theory (when it comes to moving elements outside of the octaves during the sequence anyway).

If I go in to a song writing as I normally would and using chords in the way I usually would while playing the piano I will very rarely end up with these types of "chords". It's all very deliberate.
16th August 2011
Old 16th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

Write a monophonic bassline or melody, then make it polyphonic by duplicating that sequence an octave below, above, and then one more above that. Now you have these four note "chords" that are just the same note playing in four different octaves

i personally think this is endless amounts of fun when combined with other sequences and lots 'O knob turnage
16th August 2011
Old 16th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
No.

Laugh

My

Ass

Off

:-)
16th August 2011
Old 16th August 2011
Lives for gear

Harmony constructed from multiple monophonic lines has been around since the beginning of musical time!!!! way before sequencers and dance music.

And deadmouse7 wasn't the first to do that syncopated chord stab stuff by a long shot.....it would be great if he was the last though.
16th August 2011
Old 16th August 2011
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to teknatronik
Quote:
No.

Spelt (Triticum spelta) is a hexaploid species of wheat. Spelt was an important staple in parts of Europe from the Bronze Age to medieval times; it now survives as a relict crop in Central Europe and northern Spain and has found a new market as a health food. Spelt is sometimes considered a subspecies of the closely related species common wheat (T. aestivum), in which case its botanical name is considered to be Triticum aestivum subsp. spelta.

lol
16th August 2011
Old 16th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Someone really should take that as a signature quote.

... If only I wasn't so very happy with the one I already have...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaproject View Post
This is the reason I don't hang out with people much....I generally don't like people...and this is exactly why... Simonator is the exact reason why
... Yeah! So don't mess with the Simonator!!! Grrrr
16th August 2011
Old 16th August 2011
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to teknatronik
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonator View Post
Someone really should take that as a signature quote.

... If only I wasn't so very happy with the one I already have...
I am addicted to slutz! I love this place!

off topic sorry!
16th August 2011
Old 16th August 2011
Lives for gear

I'm not sure I'm totally following what this thread is about.

I just had a glance at the video. Taking the first chord as an example, it's just a horrifically basic minor triad.

All that's happened is the minor third has been transposed up by an octave, and the root is duplicated in unison an octave below.

It doesn't get a lot simpler than that.
Jonny_silva
16th August 2011
Old 16th August 2011
Gear maniac

Did I say that it was some amazing special chord?
16th August 2011
Old 16th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morechips View Post
Harmony constructed from multiple monophonic lines has been around since the beginning of musical time!!!! way before sequencers and dance music.

And deadmouse7 wasn't the first to do it in electronic dance music.
I understand all that, I knew when saying it that it was inviting a host of bad things. I said it none the less because I couldn't think of (in my age group and level of exposure to the entire musical proces) any other connection to its sudden surge in usage and popularity the last few years in particular types of house music.

If you make a hit and it contains an element that, along with the track or perhaps in spite of at times, is "fresh", someone else will try to do it, it's always going to happen.

It really was kind of stupid to say though, I'll admit that.
16th August 2011
Old 16th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estin View Post
what else are you going to use? Music theory? *vomits* Its much more fun just programming random chords that don't even exist.
What's a chord that doesn't exist? Splain your self
16th August 2011
Old 16th August 2011
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

the wonderful thing about programing is that you don't actually have to play the parts

therefore, who cares if you'd need a hand span of about 2ft to pull them off if you don't have to play them ever
16th August 2011
Old 16th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Did I say that it was some amazing special chord?
erm... I'm not clear on that... that's what I was asking...

Quote:
I just cant imagine doing chords like this.

16th August 2011
Old 16th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elijahbrown View Post
What's a chord that doesn't exist? Splain your self
I was gonna ask the same question!......but somehow I just couldn't see the point.
16th August 2011
Old 16th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I understand all that, I knew when saying it that it was inviting a host of bad things. I said it none the less because I couldn't think of (in my age group and level of exposure to the entire musical proces) any other connection to its sudden surge in usage and popularity the last few years in particular types of house music.

If you make a hit and it contains an element that, along with the track or perhaps in spite of at times, is "fresh", someone else will try to do it, it's always going to happen.

It really was kind of stupid to say though, I'll admit that.
Mate, I honestly wasn't even thinking of your post when I posted. You made a genuine effort to offer the OP some good advice! Personally sometimes i read threads here and the will to continue participating in this forum drains from me.......than I read one of Simonators posts or in this case Dholl's 'patronize' post and a sense of proportion is restored!!
restpause
16th August 2011
Old 16th August 2011
restpause

The notes in the video were actually alright but it's the generic/played out/boring/lifeless boom-tish-boom-tish drums that annoy the hell out of me. It's like drums for people with absolutely no rhythm. It's a shame people put good work into tunes that end up sounding so formulaic and pathetic.
16th August 2011
Old 16th August 2011
Gear nut

then again, most of us have two hands.....so.... not so impossible to play
16th August 2011
Old 16th August 2011
Lives for gear

Not quite sure what the problem is here...
16th August 2011
Old 16th August 2011
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

The funny part about all this is the "deadmau5 style" part as if he made this popular lol. What you guys don't realize is that these are NOT single chords. Theyre two chords each, one played above middle C with your right hand, and one below, for your left. Deadmau5 didn't popularize this, four-notes playing at once has been alive since before classical music was known as classical

The entire "4-note chord" thing fits into a mere 28 notes, or 3.5 octaves. Thats extremely tiny range! What the hell is all this arm stretching talk about? You put 2 notes per hand and done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estin View Post
Erroneous. Proof you know nothing about music, and music theory probably "*vomits*" at what you think is music.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search