what does the akai s950 sound like compared to the roland S330?
Old 10th August 2011
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

what does the akai s950 sound like compared to the roland S330?

SORRY - thread title is wrong way round. I mean. What does the Roland s330 sound like compared to the s950

not just the s330 but other rolands like s220 I think it is and s550 (still 12bit)

I know the s950 can either sound clean or dirty. I think at the default value of 10000k it sounds almost s1000. but when you pitch it down or resample it's an eargasm.
Do the rolands have a sample rate dial in? would you reccomend one I'm starting to get addicted to buying old kit and I still don't have a roland sampler yet but my friend does but he's got too much writers block to use it properly. :(
Old 10th August 2011
Lives for gear

S330 shares the same sampling engine with W30, and with it you can choose between 15Khz and 30Khz samplerates. The bits are always at 12.

Haven't compared it with Akai samplers, tho. Back in the day when I still used my W30 as a sampler, it was everything I had. Now that I have alternatives I don't use it anymore.

Not a believer of the "vintage sampler mojo", as you can probably tell from the previous sentence.
Old 11th August 2011
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

thanks for the reply. that's good then as I'm a big W30 fan without ever owning one (I'm a Prodigy nut) So I'll probably get the s330 knowing it's a compact w30.

Just a quick question, the specs say it's 16polyphony with 8 polyphonic outs. Does that mean you can have up to 2 sounds out of 1 of the 8-outs or does it do polyphonic equal distribution with that so you could (for example) actually have 7 sounds coming out of say output1 and 1 sound out of output 2. ? or is it forced 2 only out of 1 output? I hope that makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoaT View Post
S330 shares the same sampling engine with W30, and with it you can choose between 15Khz and 30Khz samplerates. The bits are always at 12.

Haven't compared it with Akai samplers, tho. Back in the day when I still used my W30 as a sampler, it was everything I had. Now that I have alternatives I don't use it anymore.

Not a believer of the "vintage sampler mojo", as you can probably tell from the previous sentence.
Old 11th August 2011
Lives for gear

Output assigning has no effect on usage of the polyphony, as I recall. I may have to recheck that, tho. Don't remember it ever being an issue. I have a vague memory of some setting you could change with polyphony, but I don't think I ever needed to change it from the default.

The usual for me was to have drums coming out of several outputs, bass on one and strings or something like that on one or two. To use all 8 outputs was quite rare for me, but sometimes I did that too.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search