New Reply
Subscribe
MORDICUS
10th August 2011
Old 10th August 2011
Lives for gear

Roland sh 32

Hi to all slutz ...
Been buying this synth yesterday and the more i play with it ; the more i love it
I think it s one of those underrated synth ; pads are really nice ( 32 voice polyphony ) ... it s easily tweakeable from the interface . It has some tr drums sounds but again the pads are awesome ...
who s using it ? and what u like or don t about it guys ...
200 euros for this ...i m sure it s gonna be a classic in some years ... that is a nice addition in any rig ; in case u don t have juno 106 ; juno 60 ... in case u re looking for lush pads ...
ALSO from your experience ; what machines will u consider a must have ( underrated and good bang for the buck ? ) U know those machines that can do the job replacing the ones rare and too expensives ( TB 303 ; TR 808 ; TR 909 ....
i m considering OBERHEIM MATRIX 1000 next ...
I m currently using novation drumstation ; music and more 33 mk2 ; doepfer ms 404 studio electronics se 1 ...

PEACE

MORDICUS
10th August 2011
Old 10th August 2011
Lives for gear

I wouldn't call the SH-32 underrated and I doubt it will ever be considered a "classic".

It has a few features that are completely useless, like oscillator sync which reduces the voice count from 32 to 1 and disables the filter

It's a fun box if you get it cheap enough (when they were selling new for $100-200 was the time to get one). Make sure you update it to the latest OS which fixes some problems with the filters.
10th August 2011
Old 10th August 2011
Lives for gear

I think the SH-32 sounds very different than any other Roland box. It has a very aggressive sonic character about it. For the money it's pretty cool.
10th August 2011
Old 10th August 2011
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MORDICUS View Post
Hi to all slutz ...
Been buying this synth yesterday and the more i play with it ; the more i love it
I think it s one of those underrated synth ; pads are really nice ( 32 voice polyphony ) ... it s easily tweakeable from the interface . It has some tr drums sounds but again the pads are awesome ...
200 euros for this ...i m sure it s gonna be a classic in some years ... that is a nice addition in any rig ; in case u don t have juno 106 ; juno 60 ... in case u re looking for lush pads ...
ALSO from your experience ; what machines will u consider a must have ( underrated and good bang for the buck ? ) U know those machines that can do the job replacing the ones rare and too expensives ( TB 303 ; TR 808 ; TR 909 ....
I m currently using novation drumstation ; music and more 33 mk2 ; doepfer ms 404 studio electronics se 1 ...

PEACE

MORDICUS
I think it's great for the money. It is pretty sterile, but you can bring it to life a little more with some good fx.
11th August 2011
Old 11th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Stout View Post
I think the SH-32 sounds very different than any other Roland box. It has a very aggressive sonic character about it. For the money it's pretty cool.
I'v coaxed some pretty satifying sounds out of that little box with not a lot of effort. Someone commented on the osc. sync. Oh well..Certainly not a deal breaker. small, tactile with plenty of real time control, and polyphonic with a bunch of FX that can be used to define some original sounds. Oh, and last but not least...nearly free. I made a square wave Moog lead sound that sounds better than something similar from my Virus B. Also, the SH32 is capable of some really warm and fuzzy string pads.
11th August 2011
Old 11th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi to all slutz ...

PEACE

MORDICUS
i had one briefly. I liked it! but wasn't in love with it. i thought it made great drum sounds. and the arpeggiator was pretty fun. It did remind me of a jp8080, but not as aggressive. still sounded big i thought. I owned one when i was relatively new to programming.

mm. yes the matrix1000 sounds great, i think everyone will agree! be patient and snag one for under 300. typically they'll go for up to 450. There's a crackhead who's been trying to sell two of em for 1,500. never sold them but he likes to relist them periodically; A for effort... sprinkle some crack on em and lets get out here...

yeap i'm back on the bay..
MORDICUS
11th August 2011
Old 11th August 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks so far for all your repplies ...
Yes moonk ; i ve been waitin for MATRIX 1000 to show up at a good price but anyway here in europe it s more expensive than in the u.s.a ...
For the SH 32 i mstartin to dive heavily into it ...
How will i know wich o.s is in ? it s probably a matter of holding one key while powering the unit up but for now i don t get it guys ....
Also im processing with 2 8801 Neve and M 3000 TC ELECTRONICS ....

PEACE

MORDICUS
11th August 2011
Old 11th August 2011
Lives for gear

The sh32 is one of those synths that really requires the user manual in order to get the most out of it. Not everything is immediately obvious with it.

~~~~> SH-32 :: Owner's Manual :: Roland
11th August 2011
Old 11th August 2011
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

My old SH-32 thread, really still dig mine. I recently have been running it thru some F/X boxes and pedals for some more interesting textures.
11th August 2011
Old 11th August 2011
Gear maniac

I had one years a go and thought it had a bright, digital sound. Good for dance/trance. Would like to have one now actually.
MORDICUS
11th August 2011
Old 11th August 2011
Lives for gear

Hey POPBOTT
I ve read your thread on SH 32 ...
Thanks TEKNOBEAM for the link ...
Happy to see others users diggin it ...

PEACE

MORDICUS
11th August 2011
Old 11th August 2011
Lives for gear

i have one and blend it with my microkorg to get some great trance and general edm out of it
MORDICUS
12th August 2011
Old 12th August 2011
Lives for gear

Hey POPBOTT
In your old SH32 thread you guys speaks bout roland EF 303 ...
Is it a nice effects box ? did u finally bought it ? i can grab 1 for 150 dollars ... so what do u guys think ? is it worth buying it ?
Thanks to everyone for the input ...

PEACE

MORDICUS
MORDICUS
13th August 2011
Old 13th August 2011
Lives for gear

So i m still jammin with the SH 32 and tryin to get the most out of it ...
still diggin it ... but even with the manual ; i can t figure out which os is in ...
And for sure it s very simple to achieve but one as to know ...

PEACE

MORDICUS
24th October 2011
Old 24th October 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
So i m still jammin with the SH 32 and tryin to get the most out of it ...
still diggin it ... but even with the manual ; i can t figure out which os is in ...
And for sure it s very simple to achieve but one as to know ...

PEACE

MORDICUS
power on while holding Legato and Exit.

the display with tell you which version is installed.

restart the machine to get it to play/act normally.

there's a yahoo group that i read that on, its kinda dead and full of spam, but you can find stuff on there still: Roland_SH32-Moderator : Roland SH-32

and there's another one that i have joined yesterday, but have yet to be accepted:SH-32 : Roland SH-32 discussion list

i just picked up the sh-32 this afternoon and its got an interesting aggressive sound to it.
24th October 2011
Old 24th October 2011
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknobeam View Post
The sh32 is one of those synths that really requires the user manual in order to get the most out of it. Not everything is immediately obvious with it.

~~~~> SH-32 :: Owner's Manual :: Roland

............THIS^

The manual is huge, but a worthwhile read. I've got to admit when I first got mine,..I dove right into it (the SH-32), but no one should operate this synth without reading the manual. There are just way too many surprises.
There are plenty of interesting hidden secrets in the SH-32.
One of my favorites is in the effects section..where you can use the delay in realtime by turning the effects knob/pot.
You would have to call up the effects menu and look for "rdL" in the INS-FX section to get to this. You can turn the intensity knob, and tweak your sounds in realtime,..and it makes for quite an astonishing effect especially when used in a live setting. Similar to using the delay on an MS2000R,...you can tweak the hell out of it. Almost kinda like a pleasing self-oscillating effect, but with control.
Analog boost is cool. You can tweak the filter on the LFO's.
If you like the sound of an 808 kick and that's your thing,..it does a pretty good job at that as well. I personally wouldn't use the preset drum patterns,..but if you build and construct your own beats,..it'll serve you well. There are some huge sounding drum samples that are quite useful for concrete or industrial music, despite the fact that it's more geared towards trance/techno & rap/hip hop. Did I mention you should really read the manual to get the most outta this little box?
I can see most people picking this synth up for the first time and saying,..
"That's it?" "That's all there is?"...
and then get rid of it before reading the manual thoroughly.
Not sure if it'll ever become a "classic"...but for those who can harness it's true powers will never get rid of theirs.
I pair mine up along with the EF-303, and they make for their own little section in the mix. They sound nothin' like my Viruses, but do sound very damn close to my JP8080.
I'm a noise-scape artist and...
I love my SH-32's. I've got 2 of 'em, in case somethin' were to happen to the one in use.

Last edited by HYPNOTIKINFEKTED; 24th October 2011 at 10:35 AM.. Reason: typo
24th October 2011
Old 24th October 2011
Gear maniac

oooh, gonna have to try that little delay trick out

i shall be molesting her more this evening
MORDICUS
1st November 2011
Old 1st November 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks for the tips guys ...
YSMGJ ;i ll try that trick when i m back in PARIS ...

PEACE

MORDICUS
6th November 2011
Old 6th November 2011
Gear nut

Attached Thumbnails
Roland sh 32-101_0746.jpg  
20th January 2012
Old 20th January 2012
Gear interested

The factory presets were totally naff, but with a little TLC on the programming front the SH-32 can be turned into very useful little synth.
The latest software version is recomended however...to avoid that dreaded
filter glitch!
20th January 2012
Old 20th January 2012
Lives for gear

I had one. I liked it a lot... better than VA offerings from Korg at the time. I found one really cheap and thought I'd rebuy it... and it hadn't really aged well. Not bad, but not great. Better than the 201, that's for sure. Ultimately though, it's been surpassed by software.
20th January 2012
Old 20th January 2012
Lives for gear

Anybody selling one of these?
21st January 2012
Old 21st January 2012
Gear interested

Has anyone tried using a foot pedal to trigger the arpeggiator?

I like to use my sh 32 in a hardware setup where i have limited sequencing (the two monophonic keyboard parts on my korg esx). When I first bought it I was hoping to be able to run an arpeggio on one part, sequence another via midi and then play a third from its 'preview' keyboard. But as soon as you select a different part the hold function un-latches and the arpeggiator stops which is quite annoying. The manual suggests that a foot pedal can be assigned to start and stop the arpeggiator which sounds like what i need but i was just wondering if anyone had tried it before i splash out on a pedal?

I normally end up using my laptop to sequence the sh 32 but it would be nice if i could get this to work.

In general I really like the lush pads this little box generates.

By the way I only just signed up for the forum (after years of perusing) to order a midi kit for my monotribe: so, hello, i am zack.
21st January 2012
Old 21st January 2012
Gear Head

I love my SH-32 for pads and electronic sounds.
One thing that sucks is that, it dosent pass on midi clock. I have my monomachine as master , the sh32 after (in thru mode) , the my TETRA but that one doesnt get any clock. Any one else with this issue..?
BHQ
25th January 2012
Old 25th January 2012
BHQ
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokoleski View Post
I love my SH-32 for pads and electronic sounds.
One thing that sucks is that, it dosent pass on midi clock. I have my monomachine as master , the sh32 after (in thru mode) , the my TETRA but that one doesnt get any clock. Any one else with this issue..?
Yeah I had the same problem, had to just put it at the end of the chain. I do agree that you can get some ridiculous sounds out of it though, just watch out for that -24db slope coz it started shredding my little recorder thing and my favourite headphones.

Apparently you can do a lot with the rhythm section too, although not really experimented enough yet... I can't seem to ditch it from my gig-rig coz it's so versatile and unpredictable. Like the perfect woman. Insane.
27th January 2012
Old 27th January 2012
Lives for gear

I keep my SH-32 beside the sofa and whip it out regularly to inspire me. It's pretty powerful for it's time, even if there are a few annoyances / limitations (what synth doesn't) this is good for creativity, as I've tried things that I never would have otherwise. I've gotten some really nice digital grit from the Osc sync - put through the hexachorus or the ringmod it's lovely.

You really need to keep and read the manual - several times, because some of the features are head-scratchers. But once you know your way around it's a joy to use. Loads of hands-on control and no real menu-diving.

4-part multi - stackable - with a good selection of drum samples from Roland's own boxes. You can edit each drum sample to a degree and you can assign basic FX sends. It makes a pretty good kit! If you have the sysex chops you can control every drum sound from your DAW.

Plenty of interesting waveforms for synthesis - the spectra and Noise variations provide a good palette.

The arpeggiator and chord modes can be combined for lovely drifting padscapes.

Filter is not the best - very digital sounding - but I like that! There are sweet spots and the resonance is too piercing at mid-high levels. Sounds much better when modulated rather than tweaked.

Although apparently only 2 LFO's per voice you can actually apply LFO to all assigned destinations.

The FX are the business! Great selection and good quality - You can get some superb combos going. Slicers , pitch-shifters, step-phasers and the resonant delays are huge fun to play with. They definitely take the edge off the digital filter, and there is plenty of convincing 'warmth' to be had from this little fella.

Great synth - I'm looking at getting another. They go for as low as 150 euro now.
27th January 2012
Old 27th January 2012
Gear addict

The sequencer on the thing is loony - definitely read the manual - but combine that with the delay fx options and you can get some rather unique things out of it.

Like the MC-505, EF-303, MC-909 and SH-201, it's very much a controller variant on the core Roland VA tech that's been basically the same since the XV-5080. Subset, obviously, but the same intrinsic architecture and tech foundation.
7th March 2014
Old 7th March 2014
Gear nut

I just got one on Ebay..question. On the 4 Multi Parts using an External seq, can i get like Midi Ch1 dry Bass, but Midi Ch 2 which i will assign to a Synth Lead,, Can i put Delay on that Channel and leave all other parts dry? is there like a send adjustment? or will all 4 parts have delay if i choose to put delay on Midi Ch2.
2 Weeks Ago
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhampton View Post
I just got one on Ebay..question. On the 4 Multi Parts using an External seq, can i get like Midi Ch1 dry Bass, but Midi Ch 2 which i will assign to a Synth Lead,, Can i put Delay on that Channel and leave all other parts dry? is there like a send adjustment? or will all 4 parts have delay if i choose to put delay on Midi Ch2.
Don't know if you managed to find this out for yourself but yes, it is possible.

Insertion FX can be only be turned on or off per part/drum.

For the Rev/Delay FX, the send level can be set for each part/drum using the 'Effect Level' parameter. See the manual pages 65-67.

Cheers.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search