Sustain pedal that lasts more than five !@$%^& seconds!
Old 15th July 2011
Gear addict

Sustain pedal that lasts more than five !@$%^& seconds!

Can anyone recommend a sustain pedal that doesn't break after a few days of use?

Anyone feel my pain here? How many times do I need to replace these things before my head explodes?

Old 15th July 2011
Mr Arkadin

Old 16th July 2011
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Arkadin View Post
Wtf are you doing to them?
Oh, just that crazy thing they are designed for, pressing with my foot to play some piano riffs.
Quote:
I have a plastic Roland DP-2 - been fine for years, but I'm not heavy-footed.
I'm not heavy footed either. I press them very lightly, and not very often, in my home studio only. I've tried about 4 different models, all of which quickly broke. One I sent back, got a new replacement, which also stopped working within a week.

Quote:
Try a metal Boss FS-5U, they're well built and as it takes a standard 1/4" lead, you can replace that at any time. Make sure to get the U (unlatched) model.

http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.php?ProductId=57&ParentId=52
Thanks, I've never heard of this one. Probably since it's marketed as a guitar pedal. I can't find anything on google about using it for piano. Does it work with piano, and kind of "feel" does it have? It looks robust.
Old 16th July 2011
Mr Arkadin

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonrichter View Post
Thanks, I've never heard of this one. Probably since it's marketed as a guitar pedal. I can't find anything on google about using it for piano. Does it work with piano, and kind of "feel" does it have? It looks robust.
I've used these pedals to switch all sorts of things, including keyboard sustain. The good thing is that it doesn't matter what make your keyboard as the polarity is switchable (nothing worse than having a pedal that reacts the opposite way depending on manufacturer).

If you need both sustain and damper pedal usage the FS-6 maybe more useful:
Roland UK - Guitar & BOSS » Footswitches » FS-6

If you prefer a traditional piano look this seems well built, although I can't see any polarity switch and the cable is fixed:
Roland UK - Pianos and Keys » Accessories » DP-10

Oh, and if you ever need a solid expression pedal, these volume pedals can also be used as expression pedals - rather than the plastic ones you normally get:
Roland UK - Guitar & BOSS » Footswitches » FV-500H/-500L
Old 16th July 2011
Lives for gear

Dude I have some Roland sustain pedal that gets the shit beat out of it daily and has been through all manner of inconsiderate torture. It has been swung by the cord, used to smash bugs, had the cord nearly ripped out probably 100 times, etc.

Work perfectly still.

No clue what model it is, just Roland and says made in Italy.

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 16th July 2011
Gear nut

I have a heavy plastic/metal/rubber M-Audio one that says "M-Gear" on the top that has been flawless through hundreds of gigs and daily studio abuse + piano practice in my tracking environment, so that gets my recommendation.

Now we just need a sample library and pedal that can handle quarter and half pedal articulations, and I can finally say goodbye to Steinway.
Old 9th February 2013
Gear interested

crappy sustain pedals

I know this thread is kind of old, but I had to throw in my 2 cents. I'm a full time musician and I have had the same problem. The MGear pedals feel like they should be sturdy, but they're awful. I've bought a handful of them thinking I must have gotten a lemon. Here's what happened with the last one I bought. Four or five times in the 1st month it stopped working and each time I had to open it up and fix one of the hinge screws that had fallen off. Then a month or two later it stopped working for good. It's not the hinge screws and all of the connections look fine. I haven't put a meter on it yet, but the point is that this thing is a lousy product. The Rollands are definitely better but aren't switchable. Most keyboards now have polarity toggling within the settings fwiw. I'd still like to hear some other ideas if anyone has any.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search