I am copypasting my reply from the other thread since you ask similar things.
My approach is "do as much as you can real time" . So generally that means that I just browse presets on my motif es6 , I play those presets, usually I combine in them in layers, and create key and /or velocity splits on pattern mode. When I feel that the melody is good enough I hit record. My patterns usually are rather long. I use presets for drum loops , I rarely make my own, but I edit them some times. If a sound does not work for me but I like the sound, I edit it real time, while playing the melody always making sure it fits the melody.
If the melody has mistakes that I dont like , or the melody end up not working well for the song I rerecord the entire song again. That means I rarely do any serious midi editing. If the mistakes are adding to the song and give it character I leave them to be. If they are minor editing mistake that annoy me I use midi editing of the motif.
Usually in one go I have one track that may triger from 1 to multiple sounds, then I make passes with several other tracks if I feel that the melody need to beef up abit. I layer then my Andromeda and send the audio directly to garageband, there I add some alchemy
, soundscapes and textures that Alchemy
is really good at but I may add also regular sounds with alchemy
too. I dont do any audio or midi editing in garageband.
So I would say it takes 20% of my time to come up with the 80% of the song and another 80% to come up with the rest 20% of the song. There are tracks that have made solely using my motif or mostly using my motif .
I started as a step by step musician , used to spend at least 30 hour per song, now I spend 1-3 hours and my goal is to decrease that to 5 minutes. The reason is that I love direct composing, it makes me produce fresh ideas that done fall inside a pattern. Also if I edit a song too much I end up destroying it and usually I get bored easily, probably why I dont like the idea of becoming a professional musician.
Nowdays I have invested my main effort at creating at the moment, I also no longer care about chords, patterns, what is wrong and what is right, I let my hands flow and try to capture something that is outside me, something that If I sat down and carefully made a song would never had created. Most of the time what I make is not something usable , but then out of chaos, jumps up and rather nice unique melody or maybe the same melody but captured with different sounds that change the whole scenery.
OF course then its the practically of it , I dont have the time to sit down for hours on a keyboard and so I am forced to create in real time, I am forced to work sometimes for only 5-10 minutes and in that time span
create something usable. Once I captured the idea, the concept , making the song is pretty straightforward.
I rarely use more than 6-5 tracks, I dont seperate my layers to tracks, a track could be multiple layers even an entire song because as I explained everything is done before going to the DAW, and only thing I do in the DAW is usually some extremely simple editing and adding some other layers too. My mantra is "less is more" so I try to keep thing as simple as possible.
My dream is one day to not need a DAW at all, and make everything with a couple of synth and record everything in one go. A 5 minutes song would take 5 minutes to make.I just love the freedom that that kind of speed can give to me , the fact that I dont think I just make music. I am not there yet but I am slowly moving toward that goal. This approach started when I got my motif es6 5 years ago and I have find it loads and loads of fun every since. It has frustrated me , having to rerecord entire songs from the start for correcting my mistakes, other would have just jumped it midi editing and save the whole frustration. But helped me tremendously improving my playing skill and as resulted exploded the speed at which I make songs nowdays. It has certainly forced me to change my workflow I like to think for the better and that show inside my music. I think it makes it sound alot more organic alot more fluid and unpredictable because when I compose I have no idea what I will make, even when I have decided on a concept.