Login / Register

anyone gotten rid of their analog synths and not looked back?
New Reply
Subscribe
watari banzai
7th July 2011
Old 7th July 2011
Gear maniac

tell us your story why you did it, what you replaced it with, do you or miss your analogs or not, do you make better music etc etc

im 99.618791% sure im getting rid of my analog poly. i will still have a couple of analog monos and (1 somewhat unexciting poly), but it may be a while before i am able to find and afford an analog poly of comparable capability. so from here on out it will probably be software for me, or maybe an older model va.

oh...we dont really have to get into the whole "analog vs digital" thing again do we?
7th July 2011
Old 7th July 2011
Gear addict

I sold a Bass Station and I'm planning to sell an AX60, because I'm working on a minimalist setup and they are both too specific and not sonically flexible enough to cover what I want out of a synthesizer. They are both great at what they do, but I got bored with the programming possibilities. I figured my microQ could cover the same bases as the Bass Station, and although it does not sound nearly as smooth and liquid, I felt it was a decent tradeoff because the VA can do a passable Bass Station imitation while simultaneously playing pads and whatever else I want it to do on different MIDI channels. I'm not sure what's going to cover the AX60 when I sell it, because nothing sounds exactly like it, but there's plenty of gear that can do dirty basslines and doesn't take up so much space. Maybe a Shruti1.

I also traded away an ESQ-1, which is only semi-analog, and I miss the hell out of it. Which is part of why I want a Shruti, for 8-bit-y hybrid timbres.
7th July 2011
Old 7th July 2011
Lives for gear

I think I would need 4 years worth of therapy if I somehow became separated from my prophet 5.

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/beg...ep/id541654661

www.soundcloud.com/odey
7th July 2011
Old 7th July 2011
Gear nut

I sold an Andromeda after owning it for a decade, I am replacing it with a Bowen Solaris. Keeping my Voyager for the foreseeable future- I think analog really shines thru in a mono setting, but there is much less of a gap in polyphonic synths. Another major factor in my decision was PolyAT.
7th July 2011
Old 7th July 2011
Gear Guru

I got rid of a JX8P and an Alpha Juno. I'd love to keep them, I just didn't use them enough. Now I have my Juno 60 but future purchases are going to be analog monos. The Juno is lots of fun - more than the others even if they would've had programmers.

You can't leave us hanging though - what was the analog poly that went away, mr. Banzai?
7th July 2011
Old 7th July 2011
Gear maniac

I got rid of my analogs and digital synths and I couldn't be more happy. Mopho, Andy, Prophet 08, SE1x, and a ton of digital. I mainly use Omnisphere for my synth work and couldn't be more happy. That said, for me it came down to a work flow preference and what I did may not work for everyone. I use a laptop with a few vsts and a midi keyboard.
7th July 2011
Old 7th July 2011
Lives for gear

Sold my Norlin Co Minimoog Model D, the one with the knurled pitch bend and mod wheels for an early serial number one. Once I had the two side by side it was all over for the Norlin.
Dunno how analog it is but I was really glad to see the back of my Novation Supernove Rack. Had it for 12 months, played with it a few times, went through all the presets, never recorded it. Just sounded awful. I thought the analog side was supposed to be a good thing. Thick stick in a pot of sh!t.
7th July 2011
Old 7th July 2011
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

I'm actually thinking of getting rid of most of my hardware hah
7th July 2011
Old 7th July 2011
Lives for gear

I mean.. when people make modern computer music.. I have no idea why they bother with hardware in the first place.

Only analog I don't regret selling was my OB-8 .. it didn't fit in my car!!
7th July 2011
Old 7th July 2011
Lives for gear

what is "modern computer music"?
7th July 2011
Old 7th July 2011
Lives for gear

modern sounding music.

check out the radio..
7th July 2011
Old 7th July 2011
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by famousbass View Post
I thought the analog side was supposed to be a good thing. Thick stick in a pot of sh!t.
Analog side?
7th July 2011
Old 7th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by criminallysmooth View Post
Analog side?
Agreed, WTF is analog emulation HW supposed to be?
7th July 2011
Old 7th July 2011
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by famousbass View Post
Agreed, WTF is analog emulation HW supposed to be?
I'm not familiar with Supernova's but aren't they considered to be somewhat of a classic Virtual Analog? Is there really a (virtual)"analog" side and a "digital" side to them?
7th July 2011
Old 7th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel View Post
I mean.. when people make modern computer music.. I have no idea why they bother with hardware in the first place.
Quote:
modern sounding music.

check out the radio..
oh jeez, here we go...
7th July 2011
Old 7th July 2011
Lives for gear

I dunno I heard ohmicide's music... I think selling his hardware wouldn't be a bad idea.

But if someone had a Mort Garson cover band (hypothetically speaking here).. I think it would prolly be a bad idea to sell all your limited 70's analog monosynths...

If you make music that sounds old.. you should prolly hang onto your old instruments.
7th July 2011
Old 7th July 2011
Gear Head

Supernova isn't analog. I own one and love it. I sold my SH-101 & Arp 2600 when I was really broke & I regret it every single day.
7th July 2011
Old 7th July 2011
Lives for gear

I think it depends on the workflow, and the sound textures you are looking for. I find that my Prophet 08 has "something" I just don't get from my VA's that I find useful and fills the sonic spectrum "for me". I also do not do extensive programming though. I firmly believe that by and large if you can program sounds or have access to a good sound designer friend who can help you dial in sounds that you can work with a limited number of synths and get quite a range of results.

I specifically have the digital synths in my signature more for their synthesis capabilities than their workstation capabilities. All of them are capable of complex deep sounds and because of their sonic range and ability to add sampled waves, etc. I am capable of using these tools for a long time before I would come close to outgrowing them. Indeed, I am at a point where I am limited by me, and not my tools. It is an awesome feeling. I would share my work here, but I write in a genre most people here probably do not like. More of a neoclassic style is my thing.

On topic: if you can get the sonic palette you need from all ITB go for it. It will aid you in the long run if you work commercially on a deadline.

Yes, I am a real opera singer, a Lirico Spinto Tenor. Check me out at:

www.richardcarlucci.de www.richardcarlucci.com
7th July 2011
Old 7th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleestack View Post
what is "modern computer music"?
Music that sounds like it was made on and by a computer.
7th July 2011
Old 7th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance View Post
Music that sounds like it was made on and by a computer.
In other words: over quantized. Been there and heard that. If half these guys could play half decent it wouldn't even be an issue. Or at least work on how it is quantized so it sounds more human-like, though perhaps that is the style.
7th July 2011
Old 7th July 2011
Lives for gear

From what I've read so far, I wouldn't have bothered with most of those analogs in the first place ... let alone regret selling them ...

I agree that ITB has advantages and real analog hardware entails drawbacks, but some pieces are worth it ...
8th July 2011
Old 8th July 2011
Lives for gear

hahahaa.. I know. I thought that when I read this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skallawa View Post
I got rid of my analogs and digital synths and I couldn't be more happy. Mopho, Andy, Prophet 08, SE1x, and a ton of digital.
8th July 2011
Old 8th July 2011
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by watari banzai View Post
tell us your story why you did it, what you replaced it with, do you or miss your analogs or not, do you make better music etc etc

im 99.618791% sure im getting rid of my analog poly. i will still have a couple of analog monos and (1 somewhat unexciting poly), but it may be a while before i am able to find and afford an analog poly of comparable capability. so from here on out it will probably be software for me, or maybe an older model va.

oh...we dont really have to get into the whole "analog vs digital" thing again do we?
Everything but my Whiteface ARP Odyssey including an SH101 and Basstation...

Posted from a remote island in the south pacific via the Gearslutz iPhone app
8th July 2011
Old 8th July 2011
Gear interested

Quote:

Only analog I don't regret selling was my OB-8 .. it didn't fit in my car!!

It's OK that you have no idea why - not everyone is up grasping that - but that's OK, it's what makes us all - 'special'.
8th July 2011
Old 8th July 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
No absolutely not.
I've added a couple of softsynths, but real analog hardware is still preferable to me.
8th July 2011
Old 8th July 2011
Gear maniac

I have yet to sell any of my analogs, but if I do, I will regret selling my Voyager, Octave Cat first revision, and SH-101.
8th July 2011
Old 8th July 2011
Lives for gear

I went through a period of buying heaps of gear - voyager, little phatty, prophet08, mopho, evolver, anamod ats-1 etc etc

although I loved the sound, it slowed down my workflow and didnt make my tracks any "better" (they just sounded more analogue!).

So I sold them all. But may try it again someday. I do miss tweaking moog knobs...
8th July 2011
Old 8th July 2011
Lives for gear

This is reminding me of the hardware vs software debates of the early 2000's.

"I tried hardware.. I didn't really see what the fuss was about"

"well what hardware did you have?"

"A Korg ER-1 and a Roland TR-707"
8th July 2011
Old 8th July 2011
Lives for gear

Sold my MIDIed up Jupiter 4, a MC202 and a system 100 modular because i was broke and had bills to pay.

Do i miss them?
Only the Jupiter.... ohh how i miss her!
8th July 2011
Old 8th July 2011
Lives for gear

I sold a Juno-60 that I wish I could have hung onto ... But at that point got the Jupiter-8 and it really made it redundant ... Still, Ju-60 is a keeper ... I just don't want to be surrounded by gears ...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search