Touch Digital Controllers
New Reply
Subscribe
MegaTech
4th July 2011
Old 4th July 2011
Gear nut

Touch Digital Controllers

This thing looks brilliant! Is it limited to controlling just impOSCar 2 software or can it be used to control other things??

4th July 2011
Old 4th July 2011
Lives for gear

4th July 2011
Old 4th July 2011

the first moments it sounded nice. still instead of the gentleman blabbering on about his geargasm, I would've liked a few more (and different) sounds than that one luscious gated pad. Instinctive creativity sure, grab a towel, but how about the muddy murky nasty side of the Oscar? Gnarly, can this VA do that?
Are we there yet?

for sale EURORACK MODULAR CASE

MegaTech
4th July 2011
Old 4th July 2011
Gear nut

Cool video, thanks. It's such a stunning looking piece of kit! I'm tempted to look into impOSCar 2 and see how I get on.
4th July 2011
Old 4th July 2011
Gear addict

Is that $1200 for just the controller or do you get ImpOscar2 with the purchase?
4th July 2011
Old 4th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by criminallysmooth View Post
Is that $1200 for just the controller or do you get ImpOscar2 with the purchase?
Independent company, GForce gets nothing from those sales, so no it doesn't include an impOSCar 2.
4th July 2011
Old 4th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
the first moments it sounded nice. still instead of the gentleman blabbering on about his gearasm, I would've liked a few more (and different) sounds than that one luscious gated pad. Instinctive creativity sure, grab a towel, but how about the muddy murky nasty side of the Oscar? Gnarly, can this VA do that?
Are we there yet?

Well the video is about the controller, not the synth, though admitedly I'd have liked more sounds myself.

If you're on a Mac, why not find out the answer to your other question for yourself, the demo is there for you to download.

GForce Software
4th July 2011
Old 4th July 2011

I got that synth. It's one of my favorites. It sounds close to an Oscar. Close enough for me. However, if I'm going to plunk down that money, I want it to be a stand alone piece with nice filters and those slamming DCOs, emulated.
Perhaps it can do that. Like that virus. Perhaps it's only the controller?
I guess I jumped the gun there...
?
4th July 2011
Old 4th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I got that synth. It's one of my favorites. It sounds close to an Oscar. Close enough for me. However, if I'm going to plunk down that money, I want it to be a stand alone piece with nice filters and those slamming DCOs, emulated.
Perhaps it can do that. Like that virus. Perhaps it's only the controller?
I guess I jumped the gun there...
?
You've got the impOSCar, but unless you're on the beta list or you purchased today you don't have the impOSCar 2, it was only released today.

Give it a go.

The Touch digital unit is just a controller.
4th July 2011
Old 4th July 2011
Lives for gear

its beautiful..

but I don't see this venture being a success.. its expensive.. like really expensive for a controller.. and it only has knobs...

so you'll need another controller to play... unless you just sequence everything in the daw

seems really silly to me... don't a lot of people enjoy software synthesizers because they are more affordable?

https://soundcloud.com/rust-creep/grundle
Mr Arkadin
4th July 2011
Old 4th July 2011
Mr Arkadin

Quote:
I want it to be a stand alone piece with nice filters and those slamming DCOs, emulated.
Just to put this to bed once and for all the OSCar does not have DCOs.

Oh, and I have an OSCar, impOSCar and impOSCar2.
4th July 2011
Old 4th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel View Post
The knob on the Source is perhaps the ballsiest knob ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by apprenticemart2 View Post
I like the sample packs with booby girls on the front cover or sound engineers lookin' 'ard as fur.
4th July 2011
Old 4th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Arkadin View Post
Just to put this to bed once and for all the OSCar does not have DCOs.

Oh, and I have an OSCar, impOSCar and impOSCar2.
That rather depends on what you define as a DCO.

The OSCar oscillators are not Digitally Controlled Analogue Oscillators as you would find in something like a Juno, but they are digitally controlled.

Basically the frequency is set by a counter, that rate is then multiplied up with a PLL (an analogue circuit), this higher rate is used to step another counter which is then used to access the 8 bit 256 sample waveform.

And I hope you're enjoying the imp 2
Mr Arkadin
4th July 2011
Old 4th July 2011
Mr Arkadin

4th July 2011
Old 4th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Arkadin View Post
The wiki is pretty good actually, doesn't mention DCOs at all, just digital oscillators. Don't know many DCos that do additive synthesis. VSE is often wrong and this is no exception.
oh so its a DO rather than a DCO?
Mr Arkadin
4th July 2011
Old 4th July 2011
Mr Arkadin

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden beers View Post
oh so its a DO rather than a DCO?
Yes, with an analogue filter. Really we should talk of DOs and DCAOs but the term DCO has stuck and caused more confusion than clarity.
4th July 2011
Old 4th July 2011
Lives for gear

I have to say, that is a nice looking controller. It seems to be pretty big and it looks to be well made and not cheap looking like most things today.
7th July 2011
Old 7th July 2011
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust Creep View Post
its beautiful..

but I don't see this venture being a success.. its expensive.. like really expensive for a controller.. and it only has knobs...

so you'll need another controller to play... unless you just sequence everything in the daw

seems really silly to me... don't a lot of people enjoy software synthesizers because they are more affordable?
Well, yes - but I would wager that enough people want the upsides of software (many instances, total recall, etc.) combined with a proper physical controller. To this date there haven't really been a good way to control a soft synth - generic controllers don't work well, at least not to me.

I really do hope it works out for Touch and I believe that they are on the right track.

(Full disclosure: i have ordered one )
7th July 2011
Old 7th July 2011
Lives for gear

An amazing looking controller. Me wants! Especially after that passionate speech! I'm all fuzzy.

But.
One thing they could have done without is those black blocks dividing the synth into sections. Really, no puprose whatsoever and they look fugly!
7th July 2011
Old 7th July 2011
Lives for gear

7th July 2011
Old 7th July 2011
Gear addict

Those chunky blocks are a homage to the original OSCar...
7th July 2011
Old 7th July 2011
Lives for gear

Oh, that I know, but they still look fugly. I will pay my homage with the wood effect finish (once I get enough dosh).
8th July 2011
Old 8th July 2011
Gear addict

Someone else making VST/AU specific controllers.
Professor

No mention of the exact software synth it'll control, but one can assume it must be for the Arturia ProV and NI Pro53. Seems a bit cheaper than the TDC Imposcar controller.
12th July 2011
Old 12th July 2011
Gear addict

Today was christmas day as I took delivery of the controller. It is an amazing piece of kit and fully comparable in feel - and size/weight - to a real synth. In fact, when you do interact with it you are instantly fooled to believe that it is in fact producing the sound. Imposcar2 sounds amazing and the software/hardware combo is awesome.

Feel free to ask away if you have any questions. I am getting familiar with it and will probably add a longer post when I feel ready.
13th July 2011
Old 13th July 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxis View Post
Today was christmas day as I took delivery of the controller. It is an amazing piece of kit and fully comparable in feel - and size/weight - to a real synth. In fact, when you do interact with it you are instantly fooled to believe that it is in fact producing the sound. Imposcar2 sounds amazing and the software/hardware combo is awesome.

Feel free to ask away if you have any questions. I am getting familiar with it and will probably add a longer post when I feel ready.
Thanks for your offer to answer questions, Foxis. Could you tell me whether the knobs that are used to select a particular mode, e.g. Polyphony, are stepped or continuous? In other words, do they 'click' into each possible setting or do you need to turn them until they reach approximately the position as indicated by the label?

Cheers, Jack
13th July 2011
Old 13th July 2011
Lives for gear

I think it looks great, i thought it was a bit expensive at first, but taking into consideration all the work involved in making them it seems quite a reasonable price. Wishing Richard and Kent luck with this product.
Im not quite sure why it had to be quite as big as it is though, its not what i would call portable!
I like the IMPOSCar vst its one of the few soft synths that sounds good, but it doesnt sound much like a real hardware OSCar, which is a dirty nasty little ****er.
13th July 2011
Old 13th July 2011
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkasizer View Post
Thanks for your offer to answer questions, Foxis. Could you tell me whether the knobs that are used to select a particular mode, e.g. Polyphony, are stepped or continuous? In other words, do they 'click' into each possible setting or do you need to turn them until they reach approximately the position as indicated by the label?

Cheers, Jack
All knobs are more or less identical and they are not stepped, but they are potentiometers with a fixed range (ie. not encoders). I imagine the decision to omit steps for mode knobs was conscious to avoid problems if gforce update the software. Same thing with labels. The osc waveform knobs for example have no wave type label, which is a bit confusing as I initially found myself looking at the screen to see what waveform I had selected. This changed though as I started to listen and trust my ears, so in reality it is no major problem.

The feel of the knobs has to be mentioned though: they feel awesome, just right, and look spectacular.
13th July 2011
Old 13th July 2011
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJB06 View Post
I like the IMPOSCar vst its one of the few soft synths that sounds good, but it doesnt sound much like a real hardware OSCar, which is a dirty nasty little ****er.
I have no experience with the hardware counterpart so I am not exactly qualified to comment, but imp2 can sound pretty darn evil. If the OSCar is even nastier then...wow.

Regarding the size, you are absolutely right. It is a good question. The thing weighs as much as (or more than) many "real" synths and is big as a full-size keyboard.

Before ordering I exchanged quite a few emails with Richard at Touch and with Dave at GForce. The origin of the controller is basically GForce noticing that some high profile customers use their synths on the road, sounding good but looking quite boring with laptops and generic controllers.

So, the imposcar controller is more or less built with a priority on looks and feel rather than practicality. It is designed to gig with and to look cool in a studio, and of course to have the feel of an expensive musical instrument. It achieves all this and for me it is a very refreshing and worthwile tradeoff in a time when most things are cheap, plastic and low quality.

I am starting to sound like a sales brochure. Sorry. So, to balance:

- It will take some commitment in terms of creating space for it in your setup . Big and heavy.

- It is a bit of an experiment. It remains to be seen how GForce will support it in the coming years. I definitely hope it will not turn into a door stop in 5-10 years. It is built to last 50 or more.

- While you can use it as a generic controller, it's not designed to be used like that. The layout of the imposcar has its quirks which means you can't just map it to another synth without some creativity. So expect other models from Touch if this is succesful. It could become an expensive habit.

Still, all said it is a fantastic initiative. Something like this was sorely needed. It introduces that old-school feeling to software synths and I couldn't care less if someone thinks "it's still only software". I know it is, but when I use the controller I forget it in a second and my ears never care.
14th July 2011
Old 14th July 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxis View Post
All knobs are more or less identical and they are not stepped, but they are potentiometers with a fixed range (ie. not encoders). I imagine the decision to omit steps for mode knobs was conscious to avoid problems if gforce update the software. Same thing with labels. The osc waveform knobs for example have no wave type label, which is a bit confusing as I initially found myself looking at the screen to see what waveform I had selected. This changed though as I started to listen and trust my ears, so in reality it is no major problem.

The feel of the knobs has to be mentioned though: they feel awesome, just right, and look spectacular.
I understand that you can get used to selecting waveforms by ear as opposed to looking at labels or on the computer screen, but what about less obvious mode select switches such as filter mode, sync mode, glide mode, polyphony, etc.? Do the knobs need to be aligned perfectly with the labels or is there a reasonable margin to compensate for the lack of a physical click? Or do you keep watching the computer screen to make sure you dialed in the mode you wanted? Btw Your suggestion that the developers did not use stepped/dented knobs to keep the controller compatible with future Imposcar updates makes little sense to me because if a knob would get more functions in future updates, the labeling would become incorrect anyway. The controller also does not accommodate for additional knobs that may be added in future sw updates. Not that I am expecting Imposcar3 anytime soon .

Cheers, Jack
15th July 2011
Old 15th July 2011
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkasizer View Post
I understand that you can get used to selecting waveforms by ear as opposed to looking at labels or on the computer screen, but what about less obvious mode select switches such as filter mode, sync mode, glide mode, polyphony, etc.? Do the knobs need to be aligned perfectly with the labels or is there a reasonable margin to compensate for the lack of a physical click? Or do you keep watching the computer screen to make sure you dialed in the mode you wanted?
No, there is reasonable margin (the pot is divided into as many "pies" as there are options), so selecting the mode you want is not fiddly at all - that is no problem. The problem is more with the ones that lack labels. For example, the oscillator wave selection knobs lack labels, so does aux mod destination, filter mode and a few others. Of these, aux mod destination is the most troublesome as it is not immediately obvious to tell by ear what it does. Wave/filter mode etc. is easier to just turn until you get "what you want".

Quote:
Btw Your suggestion that the developers did not use stepped/dented knobs to keep the controller compatible with future Imposcar updates makes little sense to me because if a knob would get more functions in future updates, the labeling would become incorrect anyway. The controller also does not accommodate for additional knobs that may be added in future sw updates. Not that I am expecting Imposcar3 anytime soon .
Cheers, Jack
Well, given the fact that some of the more important knobs lack labels, they could add for example another filter mode or another mod destination without rendering the controller incorrect. I think that is why they didn't label these and a part of the reason why they did not use stepped knobs (the other obvious one being cost - using the same knobs for the synth means just one knob to buy in bulk/ have machined).

But in all, yes - this is a drawback in the beginning and a compromise.
Also, with the risk of repeating myself, the cooperation between Touch Digital and GForce regarding software updates is crucial IMHO. If GForce were to update the software in a way that conflicted with my controller, I would be a very unhappy camper.

Having been in contact a bit with Dave at GForce I get the feeling this won't be happening though. He seems to love the controller as much as I do.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search