Fixing disloged knob of Jomox T-Resonator
New Reply
Subscribe
Remedial
2nd July 2011
Old 2nd July 2011
Gear addict

Fixing disloged knob of Jomox T-Resonator

Attached are some pics of the knob on my T-Resonator, which I dislodged from it's seating while moving some gear that was positioned above it.

I tried my hand at opening the unit (to get some pics of what's really going on inside) by removing all the screws and the rubber feet, but, no dice. It seems like the knobs have to be removed somehow and they weren't budging for me. I really didn't want to risk breaking anything else.

So, suggestions or advice on opening it properly would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Fixing disloged knob of Jomox T-Resonator-p1090312.jpg   Fixing disloged knob of Jomox T-Resonator-p1090313.jpg  
2nd July 2011
Old 2nd July 2011
Lives for gear

The knobs are collet style and actually look like there made up of 3 actual pieces. Knob, knob cap, and nut cover. The knob actually has an nut that tightens the assembled knob to the potentiometer shaft. Most of the time you need some specific tools to get them on/off the pots.

To remove use a thin plastic tool,razor blade thin instrument or tooth floss to get under the cap and gently pull up once your under the lip. Go around the cap till the cap is dislodged. Then use the tool to loosen the nut or screw till the knob is removable.

Posted via slutz iPhone app
2nd July 2011
Old 2nd July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazper View Post
The knobs are collet style and actually look like there made up of 3 actual pieces. Knob, knob cap, and nut cover. The knob actually has an nut that tightens the assembled knob to the potentiometer shaft. Most of the time you need some specific tools to get them on/off the pots.

To remove use a thin plastic tool,razor blade thin instrument or tooth floss to get under the cap and gently pull up once your under the lip. Go around the cap till the cap is dislodged. Then use the tool to loosen the nut or screw till the knob is removable.

Posted via slutz iPhone app
You recon? they look like standard push on D type to me.. I'd imagine Jomox wouldn't use collet knobs (they are more expensive), and they certainly didn't on my Xbase.

If they are just standard D shaft (or even spline shaft) push on knobs, you'll need to pry them off. either with a firm tug, or an even firmer tug.
2nd July 2011
Old 2nd July 2011
Lives for gear

They look exactly like the knobs on the x0xb0x. So probably D shaft.

Can you open the unit up and get a shot of the damage? Or, as i said before, if you're comfortable with sending it to me, i will take a look at it and see what i can do.

Drum Machines: TR-8 . Volca Beats . Octatrack . TR-505

New DJ Mix - AcidTed - Question Everything
2nd July 2011
Old 2nd July 2011
Lives for gear

I posted from looking at the pictures from my iPhone, but they still look like they are collet knobs. There is a fairly distinguished seam below the cap.

KaZ
Remedial
7th July 2011
Old 7th July 2011
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Hazard View Post
They look exactly like the knobs on the x0xb0x. So probably D shaft.

Can you open the unit up and get a shot of the damage? Or, as i said before, if you're comfortable with sending it to me, i will take a look at it and see what i can do.
I think I'll have to explore this option as I am at wit's end and have no other option now that I still haven't received a reply from Jomox.

Were you successful in finding out the part # on the knobs?
7th July 2011
Old 7th July 2011
Lives for gear

Are you sure the shaft is not bent? It could be perfectly straight.
It looks to me like it's just the knob is almost ready to pop off.
In that case, ease it off, check the orientation of the D on the shaft and in the knob and slowly ease it on.

Does the unit work when powered up?
Do all the knobs do what they usually do?
is it perfectly ok except for the location of the knob?

Only if you answer no to these questions do you continue with the following.

If you still feel the need to remove the back plate for a good look then make sure you unplug the power that was there for the first test.

I think the pots are soldered and braced to the board with a small formed open scissor clamp affair, a long shaft protruding through the top plate and then the knobs.

The pots are not secured to the top plate.

All the knobs need to be removed. Then the unscrewed back plate will fall away.

I suggest using a guitar pick which will not scratch the surface of the face and has the right resilience and grip to lift the knob slowly.

Ease it under an easy to get at knob and slowly convince the knob to rise up the shaft. Turn the knob as you do this so the pressure is not unevenly transferring itself down the knob to the fine tracks inside.

Also, ease each one very very gently. Say, take up to a minute per knob. Why? You can pull the knob loose in its housing, you can also weaken the small braces these knobs use to make firm their attachment to the board. Easing it will not unduly stress the solder and boards connection.

But only take off the knobs if the unit isn't performing properly.
7th July 2011
Old 7th July 2011

but the part that is broken or bent is a potmeter, NOT the knob itself. so, pry the knob off, and see if it's bent. if it is, you're better off, getting a new potmeter. If it just bent at the solder lugs gently bend it back, check for visual damage on the circuit board, and put the thing back together.

If the pot is damaged:
I guess it's the common alpha type, you should be able to read the value and lin/log if you open the box up. Also check if it's a round, knurled or d-type shaft.
Mono, Full Shaft :: Alpha 16mm :: Potentiometers :: Passive Components :: Electronic Parts :: Banzai Music

then take out the potmeter, desolder the wires, and solder/screw in a new one. If you have the proper screwdriver and pliers, and soldering iron, this would be an easy, cheap fix. Doing your own reparis is a good skill. Saves a lot of time and money, and is gratifying.
You can use the old knob.

for sale EURORACK MODULAR CASE

Remedial
16th July 2011
Old 16th July 2011
Gear addict

@famousbass

Thanks for the suggestions. I am here feeling stupid because I never did check to see if the unit is still working. I guess I let it's cosmetic state get the best of me. Your guitar pick recommendation sounds pretty spot on.

@Reptil

I've always wanted to try my hand at soldering but it's just one of those things that I've been SCARED as hell to do. Especially on gear that I "want" to keep. But, this might just be the situation where my hand is forced.
16th July 2011
Old 16th July 2011

it really is not difficult. or dangerous.
unless you poke in your eye with the hot iron, which would be disappointing.

do a search, there's plenty of info what and how, on this site.
17th July 2011
Old 17th July 2011
Lives for gear

Shoot man, i totally forgot about this. Have you gotten it fixed yet? If not, let me know. I"ll get on my friend to bring his over so i can have a peak inside and get the type of pot you need.
17th July 2011
Old 17th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by famousbass View Post
Are you sure the shaft is not bent? It could be perfectly straight.
It looks to me like it's just the knob is almost ready to pop off.
In that case, ease it off, check the orientation of the D on the shaft and in the knob and slowly ease it on.

Looking at those pics, and it DOES look like it could just be the knob has become dislodged from the pot shaft. If so, then its just a case of replacing the plastic knob.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search