New Reply
Subscribe
usmmahnke
10th June 2011
Old 10th June 2011
Gear interested

Brass Section VST

Hi everyone,

I am looking for an affordable ($100-200) simple brass section plug-in. No single instruments. No muted trumpets or solo sax or other instruments. Just one good section with articulations (falls, sfz, doit, rips etc.) for background music. I have tried/own the following:

1. Arturia Brass (don't like the sound)
2. Garritan (too much other stuff like pianos, drums etc. plus articulations are accessible via midi controllers and that requires a lot of micro editing).
3. NI - Sax&Brass (only two articulations and they sound much different than the sustained notes).
4. Roland SRX-10 (like it the best so far but I'd like to get rid of hardware).

Ideally, I would like to control articulations with keyswitches and velocity. It's just such a simple concept and I am puzzled that I haven't come across such a thing yet. Am I missing something here?

Thanks,

Matt
10th June 2011
Old 10th June 2011
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

I don't think I can recommend anything at that budget level. Double it and you can get Vir2's Mojo Horns. It's a Kontakt Library, but if you don't own Kontakt it also works with the free Kontakt Player, which is included (but you should download the latest version from the NI site.)

DSK
10th June 2011
Old 10th June 2011
DSK
Lives for gear

10th June 2011
Old 10th June 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSK View Post
CineBrass | Cinesamples

Brand new and sounds amazing!
Cinebrass is an orchestral library. I think the OP is looking for a pop/rock brass section.
DSK
10th June 2011
Old 10th June 2011
DSK
Lives for gear

Yep I think you're right.

I overlooked the "simple-brass" and "sax" words in the opost.
usmmahnke
15th June 2011
Old 15th June 2011
Gear interested

Hey guys,

Thank you so much and sorry for the delayed response. For some reason your posts were not forwarded to my email address. Anyway, Vir2 was just what I was looking for. Really amazing but costly. I guess I need to figure out if it's worth $400 to have some brass in the background. Too bad they don't have a light version of it.

Cheers,

Matt
15th June 2011
Old 15th June 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmmahnke View Post
Hey guys,

Thank you so much and sorry for the delayed response. For some reason your posts were not forwarded to my email address. Anyway, Vir2 was just what I was looking for. Really amazing but costly. I guess I need to figure out if it's worth $400 to have some brass in the background. Too bad they don't have a light version of it.

Cheers,

Matt
Well, put it this way, it's better to spend $400 on something you know it's exactly what you're looking for than to spend $200 on something you're not so sure about and that will eventually have you add $400 on top of that...
15th June 2011
Old 15th June 2011
Lives for gear

This is both a response and a cry for help.

I heard a plugin at another fellows house make some brass sounds I thought were downright incredible. They toed this super fine line of sampled/synthesized and I honestly havent heard anything else quite like it.

The instrument was called "Wahsyn Supernatural" and I literally can not find a place to purchase it. I made a thread asking if anyone knew about it or where I could buy it about a month ago and received zero responses.

If you google it, you will find some.pages with descriptions of it, most not in English, and a crap ton of torrent links, but quite literally no place to purchase it.

Someone please tell me where to buy this freaking plug or sell me a legit copy.

Apparently this Wahsyn company has like 5 other instruments I found in this wild goose chase, but I can't find a place to buy or much less demo those either.

The fellow whoms house I heard it at pirated it, so no help there.

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com App

"IMO VST's cannot also be VA's." --- dankelly

"We are gentle and dont point with the finger at it.. one in a while.. no big deal..
And the kids can use them all the time.. no problem.. in the kindergarden.. not on the street of cause..
" --- 3phase
16th June 2011
Old 16th June 2011
Gear Guru

Listened to those Mojo Hns vids. Honestly, I thought they sounded horrible. if that's the best we've got, we're in trouble. The stock Kontakt horns sound light years more realistic. I suppose there's a chance the demos just suck. The first guy obviously didn't know anything about what horns are supposed to sound like or be played, but even the articulations video seemed pretty lame.
16th June 2011
Old 16th June 2011

Of course there are better brass sections, but for the price and what's included, Mojo Horns is a very decent product.

Incidentally, I didn't know you'd need a brass section to write elevator music...
16th June 2011
Old 16th June 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPi61 View Post
Incidentally, I didn't know you'd need a brass section to write elevator music...
I already told you man, I couldn't get the gig doing elevator music, even though I tried. My stuff is way too edgy and avante garde for their tastes. But I'm glad your condescending and arrogant attitude is still intact. It keeps me on an even keel knowing that there are still an abundant supply of @$$holes in the world willing to put others down to elevate themselves.

BTW, years of being an ex-brass player here who KNOWS how a brass section is supposed to sound. And Mojo is NOT how brass is supposed to sound. Budget or not. The OP can buy Komplete and come out ahead of Mojo. Maybe you should get out and hear the real thing more often.

oh yeah, and PS - you actually DO need a brass section for elevator music.
16th June 2011
Old 16th June 2011
Lives for gear

16th June 2011
Old 16th June 2011
Gear Guru

Awesome suggestion! I'd forgotten about these guys. Very expressive, albeit a tiny bit synthy sounding to me, but much superior to Mojo IMO.

I'd love to know a little bit more about the Wivi band plugin vs. the demos. Were the demos done with keyboards, wind controllers, with the high priced versions or the basic band package. There's no real description of who did what with which software package on their site. Maybe I missed it.

Will do some more investigating and check this out. Thanks again.

bp
16th June 2011
Old 16th June 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
My stuff is way too edgy and avante garde for their tastes.
No doubt Justin Bieber too believes he's "edgy and avante-garde." I doubt he's ever heard of Krzysztof Penderecki and I have the feeling the same applies to you...

Quote:
It keeps me on an even keel knowing that there are still an abundant supply of @$$holes in the world willing to put others down to elevate themselves.
Dr. Freud would call that a classic projection...

Quote:
you actually DO need a brass section for elevator music.
Well, thanks, I certainly wouldn't know. You're the expert...

BTW, some better demos of Mojo Horns:

http://www.vir2.com/instruments/mojo-horn-section

Like I said, it's a decent product that does the job. You can choose to believe many reviewers and musicians who swear by it (even though i tried it, I personally don't use it, but that's because I have invested in more extensive libraries such as the four volumes of Chris Hein's Horns) or you can choose the guy who believes his judgment counts more than anybody else's and who puts down anyone who disagrees with him with something like "Maybe you should get out and hear the real thing more often." Pretty ironic for someone who just complained about "@$$holes in the world willing to put others down to elevate themselves." But then again, like I said, it's classic projection...
16th June 2011
Old 16th June 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPi61 View Post
But then again, like I said, it's classic projection...
You missed your calling. You're obviously a far better psychologist than composer.
16th June 2011
Old 16th June 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
You missed your calling. You're obviously a far better psychologist than composer.
Not really, it only takes a slightly better-than-average IQ to understand that you're guilty of precisely what you blame me for (which is why you don't get it.) And this last post of yours is yet another confirmation.

"It keeps me on an even keel knowing that there are still an abundant supply of @$$holes in the world willing to put others down to elevate themselves."

Which is precisely what you've done in every post here. Actually I see you do that all the time.

Incidentally, logic isn't your forte. Since you don't know my music (because I'm here to read valuable information and help out whenever I can, certainly not to brag about my achievements like some other people do, even when that includes writing background music no one pays attention to, and that's really funny...), you have no way to establish how good or bad I am at composition. But then again, you don't strike me as a person interested in reality... To you reality is what you think it is. So, in your mind I have no talent, no experience, no life, no money etc. just because I disagree with you, even though you really have nothing to gather all of that from but your own imagination. And no, it doesn't take a degree in psychology to know it's called narcissistic personality disorder, the kind of mental disorder people like Sarah Palin suffer from.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search