2013 - the year all our gear is fried?
Closed
Subscribe
Numinamusic
8th June 2011
Old 8th June 2011
Gear maniac

2013 - the year all our gear is fried?

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, and this is backed up by scientists and history. I've been hearing more about this (as the date nears) and this worries me (on several levels). Aside from the potential catastrophic effects against humanity (which may be averted if proactive) what is the fate of all our $1,000s of dollars in audio and instrument gear? Is this a serious threat? Is there an easy and practical way to protect our equipment? Any electronics experts care to chime in?

How to survive a solar storm (Wired UK)
8th June 2011
Old 8th June 2011
Lives for gear

clearly we need to wrap all our synths in tinfoil

imo the effects of magnetism on electronics is often misunderstood and exaggerated. like, i used to know people who were paranoid about using magnetic tipped screwdrivers on their computers, ignoring the fact that there's 2 super-powerful neodymium magnets sitting in their hard drive :P

and anyone who says magnets effect your health i just instantly assume is a quack. hah.

f'kin magnets, how do they work?!
8th June 2011
Old 8th June 2011
Lives for gear

First step would be not to operate anything during the storm.

Second, fit anything that can into a SEALED ESD bag, and stick all bags into a copper cage. Or just build a giant copper cage around your house/studio.

I myself may use the event to my benefit, who knows how it might effect a synth or an old tube amp.... aurora mojo

Quote:
f'kin magnets, how do they work?!
LOLOL, just when I had almost washed that video from my memory

"Microphone technique is an art and the ear of the listener is the critic"
-Lou Burroughs
8th June 2011
Old 8th June 2011
Lives for gear

8th June 2011
Old 8th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numinamusic View Post
I've been hearing more about this....potential catastrophic effects against humanity....Is this a serious threat?
Solar storm activity cycles up and down and peaks about every 11 years. The last peak was around 2000-2002 and was probably more active than what they are predicting for 2014. The Earth, humanity, and analog synths have seen many cycles come and go, so I'm not sure who is telling you there will be "catastrophic effects", but they are wrong. Your TV might get fuzzy for a minute, or your cell phone might drop a call. That's about it.
8th June 2011
Old 8th June 2011
Lives for gear

Wired is a lifestyle rag. they have to cater to the "what me zombie?" dumbshits.
8th June 2011
Old 8th June 2011
Lives for gear

I am taking my PhD in an astrophysics department where lots of good solar physicist work and I don't see them worried at all about 2013...
Numinamusic
8th June 2011
Old 8th June 2011
Gear maniac

I've read this in other respectable news outlets outside of Wired and with the date closing in I'm hearing more about it. Honestly, I'm a logical thinker and don't buy into most of this stuff but it sounded to me like the 2013/2014 event may be more like a double-whammy of solar flares/storms which, according to scientists, will happen. That said, I'm not freaking out, but ya never know when it comes to the powers of nature.
8th June 2011
Old 8th June 2011

This can happen again. (EMP electro magnetic pulse)
According to NASA and most leading scientists, chances are quite large, it will happen soon. (It's overdue.)
Measures to secure the electricity net, and especially vulnerable nuclear reactors are not being taken. I have no idea why since this is, in the larger scope of things, it's relatively inexpensive.

As for practical protection a "faraday cage" is a solution. It also will shield against RFI (cellphones etc.) if your gear is sensitive to this. To build this in a studio is of course quite expensive (rising prices of copper), especially if it's not put in during construction.

BTW, as for your "respectable" news provider(s), Wired is quite good, but as these days most news agencies are either state owned or owned by only a few multinational corporations, it's prudent to gather news a little broader, if you want to retain a complete picture. If you know your way around the interwebs, that's perfectly possible.

All in all, it could be an event with hardly any, or with huge consequences, depending on how our leadership deems survival as a species of any importance. At least you know how to keep the jupi-8 safe.

for sale a complete SERGE SYNTHESIZER (Creature, EQ-Shift, BOG)

for sale EURORACK MODULAR CASE

8th June 2011
Old 8th June 2011
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

It's probably more likely we'll see a global economic collapse which could result your inability to pay the electric bill or the mass rationing of energy (ie rolling blackouts).

It'd be nice to be able to afford solar panels on the roof or at least some kind of generator that runs on petrol or natural gas.
8th June 2011
Old 8th June 2011
Gear Head

We are more likely to destroy our selves with nuclear warfare in the near future, than we are to get fried by a cme .... that said, it could happen. When is a different story.

Don't believe any of the rags online, the only thing scientists can be sure of is that it will happen .... one day, when? who knows? The solar cycle is apparently 11yrs, although the problem with this is that it often doesn't have 2 maximums the same, and some are more like minimums. Some of the flares during solar minimums have been greater than those at and through times of max.

It's a headache... just make sure all your gear is fused up and hope to hell that it doesn't come before they find a way to give everyone a copper blanket to put over their houses lol.
8th June 2011
Old 8th June 2011
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
Measures to secure the electricity net, and especially vulnerable nuclear reactors are not being taken. I have no idea why since this is, in the larger scope of things, it's relatively inexpensive.
Scary shit. There was a guy on Coast To Coast AM just a couple days ago talking about this very subject.

UFOs: Cases & Crashes - Shows - Coast to Coast AM

Solar Threats
First hour guest, author Lawrence Joseph talked about protecting the electrical grids from solar blasts. We face a serious danger of getting knocked off the grid (major solar blasts occurred in 1859 and 1921), yet the Senate scuttled legislation that was passed in the House to take protective measures, he noted. Joseph said he's seeking to get this topic on the agenda of the 2012 Earth Summit in Rio de Janeiro, so that heads of state can take action on this catastrophic threat.
8th June 2011
Old 8th June 2011
Lives for gear

8th June 2011
Old 8th June 2011
Lives for gear

It really depends on what type of electromagnetic storm you are talking about. CME's and the 11 year solar cycle isn't all that big of a deal really. I'm pretty in tune with it and for the past 10 years it's been a huge dud, it was supposed to really pick up in 2008. This spring was pretty good though. I'm hoping for something awesome over the next two years though.

What you should really be concerned about is something you have absolutely no control over and is completely unpredictable. A Magnetar is one of the only things that would take out all of your electronics at once. There are only 4 known ones in the Milky Way though. One had a burst in 1979 and in 1998. I was lucky enough to experience the one in 1998 and it was really cool.
Numinamusic
8th June 2011
Old 8th June 2011
Gear maniac

I used to respect Coast to Coast a lot more than in recent years. George Noory is sort of pandering to all conspiracy theorists way too much and is really right-wing. Point being I can't listen to CtoC without rolling my eyes half the time. A lot of the guests are so blatantly incompetent and using scare tactics. That said, the show does get some topics out there to think about but a person needs to research those topics outside of the show.

As far as a geomagnetic storm wiping out electronics, I would have to say that my gear frying would be the least of my problems! Who needs a working V-Synth if this happens!?
8th June 2011
Old 8th June 2011
Lives for gear

was an m2 class yesterday ,which apparently won't affect us (x-class are the biggies I think)
8th June 2011
Old 8th June 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by wax808 View Post
It really depends on what type of electromagnetic storm you are talking about. CME's and the 11 year solar cycle isn't all that big of a deal really. I'm pretty in tune with it and for the past 10 years it's been a huge dud, it was supposed to really pick up in 2008. This spring was pretty good though. I'm hoping for something awesome over the next two years though.

What you should really be concerned about is something you have absolutely no control over and is completely unpredictable...
Did you check the links? As mentioned the one in 1859 fried everything electronic. If your studio has a faraday cage, it's safe from that. If not, not. Just like all powerstations, modern cars (plastic and loads of electronics and computers), cellphones, computers, electrical appliances, pacemakers, and geiger counters. It's as simple as that.
I wouldn't be overly concerned, and walk around with a frown on your face.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numinamusic View Post
As far as a geomagnetic storm wiping out electronics, I would have to say that my gear frying would be the least of my problems! Who needs a working V-Synth if this happens!?
indeed..
But it is prudent to inform ourselves, and prepare for cyclical occurring eventualities, as our governments seem to have different ideas (about informing it's citizens about all sorts of things, or taking action to fulfill it's primary role as protector), you do remember the story of the three piglets?
lol
8th June 2011
Old 8th June 2011
Lives for gear

Location: fear and loathing across the country, listening to my 8-track

Weird. I just came across something yesterday related to all this.

Solar Shield--Protecting the North American Power Grid - NASA Science

The US power grid could not withstand anything on the level of the
1859 storm. Could be a couple years without electricity. That would
actually be very chaotic when people run out of food in the first 3-4
days... everything thaws, spoils.

For some reason May, 2013 is the date I heard. Could be BS, could
be factual. Could be understated...

Who has the keys to the seed bank?

See you all under the Denver airport when it goes down. That'll be
me down there. Lap boy for the PMs wife.
Numinamusic
8th June 2011
Old 8th June 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entrainer View Post
See you all under the Denver airport when it goes down. That'll be
me down there. Lap boy for the PMs wife.
Be forewarned, there is supposedly an alien race that feeds on humans below the Denver Int'l Airport.
8th June 2011
Old 8th June 2011
Lives for gear

so there is a dilemma of mixing Logic with arts.
Davinci mixed Logic with Arts, successfully. Are you Davinci? jajajajajaja
8th June 2011
Old 8th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post

BTW, as for your "respectable" news provider(s), Wired is quite good, but as these days most news agencies are either state owned or owned by only a few multinational corporations, it's prudent to gather news a little broader, if you want to retain a complete picture. If you know your way around the interwebs, that's perfectly possible.
For every one well researched, investigative styled article that usually spans about 8 pages in wired, they cram 300 filler "what you need to know about the next iphone, sega or whatever" styled articles that are nothing more usually than short lists for stuff like "1. stock up on moutain doo 2. give your girlfriend a booty call" which is my main beef with their overall level of journalism.

however I agree, research, research again and keep your mind / eyes open for multiple sources of information. of course I admit this is the first i've heard of it either.
8th June 2011
Old 8th June 2011
Lives for gear

Send a message via Skype™ to zvukofor
something will happen, we just don't know what exactly. But, everything that happens is good for us, it is law of the universe, maybe after all we gonna be free of our demonic instruments and we will play real music, a sacred one with our own voices and good old acoustic instruments. I can play drums, guitar and accordion a little bit ))
8th June 2011
Old 8th June 2011

the future always in motion it is

I sometimes get the feeling that the 2012 doom and gloom scare is put there to influence people, to paralise them into thinking the is no hope.
Hollywood is a propaganda outlet. Always has been. So there's some snippets they put out there. With a purpose though. to inform? to steer towards?

there is ALWAYS hope. there's ALWAYS positive and negative forces. NEVER unconditionally trust politicians, leaders, ALWAYS question, and stay alert. In this case at this moment, the leaders in the west are dropping the ball (InMyHumbleOpinion), and regard their people as "stupid". I think that is wrong. People will react mostly how you treat them, and approach them. Also I don't believe in the BS about "us" vs. "them". IMO if we want to make it through the next phase of evolution, we have to unite and (again) make things better. That positive idea is lost to many it seems to me, not in the least to the elite. Evil does exist! But that can change. It's all cycles. We're just at the end of a couple longer and shorter ones. (since the start of the industrial revolution, and a short one since the end of the seventies (bubbles preventing a deflationairy cycle))
my brother (bless him) says he doesn't have time to look at the bigger picture. I disagree. If more people would look at facts, talk, discuss, this world would be a LOT better. But I have no qualms with the fact that most couldn't be bothered what would happen to them. Every man makes his own future. Some have long range radar, some short range.

I also think that RIGHT NOW, this month we're on a crossroads. Shit is hitting the fan in the west and east. Especially in the northern hemisphere. It can go either way. Love hopefully will prevail.

cheers all
8th June 2011
Old 8th June 2011
Lives for gear

I have an anti-goldeneye bunker at my house that was designed by NASA physicists on a secondment to Area 51.

It's pretty huge and so I have lots of free space... which I'd feel guilty about wasting.
So, if anyone wants to send me their analogue synths, I'll be happy to keep them safe for you.

I think the space would be especially suitable for Oberhiem Matrix 12s, ARP2600s, Jupiter 8s, Omega 8s, Sunsyns & MemoryMoogs, but I'll consider any gear.

Anyone interested, just PM me & I'll send you the address.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaproject View Post
This is the reason I don't hang out with people much....I generally don't like people...and this is exactly why... Simonator is the exact reason why
... Yeah! So don't mess with the Simonator!!! Grrrr
8th June 2011
Old 8th June 2011
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

8th June 2011
Old 8th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xero View Post
clearly we need to wrap all our synths in tinfoil
Please take care of your cats first!

then pay attention to your studio:

Manfred Mann predicted this in 1973 (Solar Fire)!

Keep things simple: A can-opener lets you eat, not a microwave (Waldorf branded products excluded).
8th June 2011
Old 8th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by metrosonus View Post
Wired is a lifestyle rag. they have to cater to the "what me zombie?" dumbshits.
LOL +1
8th June 2011
Old 8th June 2011

8th June 2011
Old 8th June 2011
Lives for gear

if we (the earth) get hit bad then synths are our last worry. the power grid is the killer. a sub-station takes one year to replace. if all the substations go at once. we're proper fuked. Like no food fuked.

However, there is an early warning satellite in between us and the sun, it should be able to tell us about 15 minutes in advance that we're doomed. which is enough time to turn everything off. of course we won’t. and we'll all be screwed. if this is going to happen in the next couple of years or so, who knows?

personally i'm more worried about the long overdue magnetic field switch of the earth.

and the mass extinction event that’s supposed to happen every 500 million years.

oh and let’s not forget global warming.. 4 degrees and the methane under the ocean will escape. then we’re all toast.

and the super volcano, don't forget that.

.... pass me the cigarettes

Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel View Post
The knob on the Source is perhaps the ballsiest knob ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LimpyLoo View Post
My gearection has gone from 'Fairchild' to 'Behringer'...
Quote:
Originally Posted by apprenticemart2 View Post
I like the sample packs with booby girls on the front cover or sound engineers lookin' 'ard as fur.
8th June 2011
Old 8th June 2011

phew good you're here golden beers
we need you to provide liquids when everything else fails

(where's the pissing monkey when you need him?)
Closed Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search