The Official Roland Jupiter-80 Thread
New Reply
Subscribe
mamero
28th March 2011
Old 28th March 2011
Gear addict

The Official Roland Jupiter-80 Thread

After reading some brief posts and coming across the below link it looks official. Roland will release the Jupiter-80 at MusikMesse. Let this be a thread dedicated to this new synthesizer. I've already started saving my pennies and unloading gear. The Jupiter-80 has pretty big shoes to fill. I'm sure Roland is aware of the legacy and potential skeptics in this release. My initial thoughts are those expecting a Jupiter-8 re-issue will be disappointed. For those looking for a synthesizer reminiscent of a Jupiter that will take them in to the future, then this could be it. Time will tell in the next few days. Needless to say, it will get plenty of attention at the show one way or the other. I'm very excited!

Roland Set To Release New Jupiter Keyboard At Messe |
28th March 2011
Old 28th March 2011
Gear interested

No way I'm unloading any of my gear yet, I'm going to give it at least a couple months before I even consider it; I'll let everybody else test it out first

I'm pretty curious about it though.....
28th March 2011
Old 28th March 2011
Gear addict

Dude, you're off by like 5 days.....
28th March 2011
Old 28th March 2011
Gear maniac

Send a message via ICQ to Hossegor Send a message via AIM to Hossegor Send a message via Yahoo to Hossegor
it will be some shitty VA, with some rompler stuff in it. Maybe with a D Beam control...dfegad
28th March 2011
Old 28th March 2011
Lives for gear

Didn't Roland lose the right to the Jupiter name? I've heard that so many times..
28th March 2011
Old 28th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizness80 View Post
Dude, you're off by like 5 days.....
You beat me to it! April fools day is just around the corner.

I hope it is a expanded version of the Gaia that includes multi timbrality at a reasonable price. The Gaia haters are going all over this...

Ready, set, go, and wait to be disappointed.

Keep things simple: A can-opener lets you eat, not a microwave (Waldorf branded products excluded).
28th March 2011
Old 28th March 2011
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

It will have a touchscreen. Users on the Roland clan forum hope it will have the ARX expansion capability.

It will supposedly have the colour scheme of the Jupiter, much like Roland did with the Juno-D and G but don't expect the main panel to be laden with knobs and sliders like ye olde original!
28th March 2011
Old 28th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
"a new Jupiter keyboard by Roland"...I will be very happy if this means a new VA with detailed sound and proper interface, but, this is already a sci-fi scenario IMO...Roland has destroyed many of their famous product names by re-introducing them as cost effective generic solutions with mediocre sound...I really doubt about a new Jupiter synth, let alone an analog one! They have passed to the other side...this means digital technology and mass production. I mean, their best effort in retro styled synthesis in recent years, was GAIA...
28th March 2011
Old 28th March 2011
Lives for gear

I think the best we can hope for is an updated JP8000...
28th March 2011
Old 28th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by explorer View Post
It seems that they have abandoned their JP8000 code... GAIA sounds different and it was nothing with today's processing power to use that old code. From another point, they already have a VA...why doing it again? I don't know...maybe GAIA is a sign that they will go with something different...
28th March 2011
Old 28th March 2011
Lives for gear

Send a message via MSN to flat earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by explorer View Post
I really hope not. The JP8000 and all that offsprung from it was imo their worst moment. I'm not at all interested in them trying to resurrect the past either.

I hope its something entirely new.

'Coming to grips with compromise is an essential ingredient for balance, harmony and avoidance of conflict'. - Maisonvague
28th March 2011
Old 28th March 2011
Lives for gear

As long as it doesn't sound as generic as the original they can do what they like with that name...

Gear list
Synth sounds

...Marimba trills!
28th March 2011
Old 28th March 2011
Gear addict

Maybe it's a hastily put together answer to the Korg Kronos?

Or have they done that already?

dfegad
28th March 2011
Old 28th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumphh View Post
As long as it doesn't sound as generic as the original they can do what they like with that name...

a bad workman blames his tools
28th March 2011
Old 28th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden beers View Post
Did i put blame on the JP8?

...seen as a tool, if anything it is the perfect tool for generic sounding music - just look at its use in the 80's...
28th March 2011
Old 28th March 2011
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat earth View Post
I hope its something entirely new.
Like a VA perhaps...
28th March 2011
Old 28th March 2011

Quote:

thumbsup thumbsup

(minus the spilled cocoa drink on my hands)
28th March 2011
Old 28th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumphh View Post
Did i put blame on the JP8?

...seen as a tool, if anything it is the perfect tool for generic sounding music - just look at its use in the 80's...
if there's an 80's tool around here, it's you mate
28th March 2011
Old 28th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
a great workman blames them even more.

The ability to pin point the flaws on a tool and seperate them from flaws of use , is a skill by itself. And a skill that should be exercised from day 1.

Its known as "crytical thinking". Its only this ways, that one can find the right role for his tool and create a setup that is balanced, effective and pleaserable to use.

Sticking into the logic that "its only my fault" can be as dangerous as the "holy grail" obsession.

Regarding the new Jupiter, I dont see roland using the A word just yet. But will have to wait an see whats under the table. Jupiter 8 is certainly as many other synths , hyped to death synth, I am sure we are going to see many "but it does not sound as good as the original" threads and many other complaints. But the very fact that Roland is going back to revive it, is good news by itself.
28th March 2011
Old 28th March 2011
Lives for gear

My guess is that the new Roland Jupiter 80 is their next generation workstation, and has nothing to do with the original Jupiter 8 analog synth.

I might be wrong, but Roland is surely lagging behind Yamaha and Korg as far as workstations are concerned.

Roland recently released the Gaia Synth, so I doubt that they are going to release another VA synth, and just call it Jupiter 80

28th March 2011
Old 28th March 2011
Lives for gear

Send a message via MSN to flat earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syn303 View Post
Like a VA perhaps...
..well, yes I guess, but hopefully designed from scratch. (ie not re-packaged past/existing products). thumbsup
28th March 2011
Old 28th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
if there's an 80's tool around here, it's you mate
Hey, i am from the 60's...
28th March 2011
Old 28th March 2011

I no longer pay any attention to Roland announcements. They all come the same, and end the same (read: very disappointing).

Disclaimer (after a PM being called a Roland hater): No i'm not a Roland hater (google is your friend). In fact i own about every Roland analogue you can think of (minus system 700/100...) as well as nice selection of their vintage digitals. But i draw a line between the quality and cheap garbage. So please, spare me...
28th March 2011
Old 28th March 2011
Lives for gear

Its not going to be a workstation, 'Jupiter-80' is not fitting for a workstation, it'll most likely be based on the old Jupiter but VA and 64-voice or more polyphony...I just reckon it will be a DCO synth
28th March 2011
Old 28th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by volumetrik View Post
Its not going to be a workstation, 'Jupiter-80' is not fitting for a workstation, it'll most likely be based on the old Jupiter but VA and 64-voice or more polyphony...I just reckon it will be a DCO synth
Maybe Yes, Maybe No

But... We will surely find out on April 6th.
28th March 2011
Old 28th March 2011
Gear maniac

Send a message via MSN to wladymeer Send a message via Yahoo to wladymeer Send a message via Skype™ to wladymeer
And their support (including OS update) for new product lasts for... 6 months?

I am slightly shocked how fast Roland did respond to Korg's challenge. And am affraid that this might be product that wasn't expected to come out so fast. And of course, final result is that many of planned spec will probably have to be halved, excluded and etc... So that there will be Jupiter-800 on NAMM

I also expect new workstation as the accent is on the word metamorphosis. Same way Juno changed into workstation using Fantom X waveforms I believe Jupiter-80 will use Fantom G waveforms + superNATURAL sounds + some of V-Synth stuff to keep up and if they feel so generous, maybe vk-8 organ module emulation as well.

ARX compability is expected to be included in same way many stage piano supported SRX expansions.

But, what is also expected is that sour taste of trying any of mentioned products and understanding that every specific add-on they borrowed will work better as a separate product than inside Jupiter-80.
My latest videos:
song #1 *new!* |song #2 | song #3 | song #4

http://soundcloud.com/srdjan-brankovic-music/expedition-delta-2011
http://soundcloud.com/lunar-pocket/lunar-pocket-the-sacrament
28th March 2011
Old 28th March 2011
Gear maniac

The promo video doesn't sound very analog to me and I know that I should know better but... I haven't been this exited about any new product announcement in ages. Please Roland, pretty please, ... live up to my expectations!

If it turns out to be a disappointment I am selling my SH201 and get a Nord Lead.
Formant modular, Juno 106, MKS50, MKS70, MKS80, D550, JD990, JV80, Matrix 1000, Prophecy, Virus TI, K2000vp, Shruthi-1 SMR4, Shruthi-1 SSM, SQ1R, TX7, TX81z, TX1p, K1, SG01v, Supernova 2, MPC1000, DDM110
28th March 2011
Old 28th March 2011
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by synthdood View Post
If it turns out to be a disappointment I am selling my SH201 and get a Nord Lead.
You can put out the sales ad already
28th March 2011
Old 28th March 2011
Lives for gear

I have advanced in life and preparing for an EPIC fail from Roland. Wait and see.
28th March 2011
Old 28th March 2011
Lives for gear

Watch this space:

www.jupiter80.com

I expect to be disappointed. As stated, probably a Fantom G plus some Vsynth added.

But maybe it's a JP8000 for the 2011....

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search