Login / Register

The Official Roland Jupiter-80 Thread
New Reply
Subscribe
15th May 2012
Old 15th May 2012
Gear maniac

Is it polyphonic portamento on this Or not ?
26th May 2012
Old 26th May 2012
Gear addict

Portamento does work in poly mode, but probably not the way you're thinking. With a 6 or 8 voice synth, the voice assignments slide from wherever that oscillator was to wherever the new note assignment is.

With the J-80, it slides from the last note played, down or up, picking up notes as it goes if you're holding a chord. It sounds like a mono portamento operating on top of a poly synth, not at all like say the OB-Xa where there's a bunch of notes all sliding at once (think THX's Deep Note).

Whether one finds it useful or not is up to the end user I suppose. Both types have their strengths/weaknesses.

And by the way, after playing with it now for a couple of weeks now, it's a monster synth. It has depth and balls once you dig down into it.

Sure it has some shortcomings, all synths do. It's still an awesome machine. If I could only keep one of my thirteen, this would be it. It kind of looks like a toy with the layout and colors. It is not. This is the real deal guys.
26th May 2012
Old 26th May 2012
Gear addict

Also, thought I'd clear up a few things about the panel buttons for those that looked in dismay (myself included). I mean Theater Organ. Are you kidding me?

The colored buttons however simply do the same thing that Category Search does on the Motif, except now you don't have to menu dive to get there. Sure it's eye candy, but it is very useful when creating new sounds. And they're not hard-coded either.

The Reverb button does the same thing the Master Effect button does on the Motif. There's a final reverb effects processor before everything goes out the pipe and you can turn it off or on. I like it myself and use it a lot to quickly clean up things for programming.

I was never a big knob tweaker live, so I don't really miss the user controls. I usually have my fingers on the keys, not a knob or slider.

I like where the patch (registration) buttons are on the front. Thought I wouldn't, but I was wrong. They got the panel angle just right although they are spaced a little wide. The < Prev | Next > buttons for selecting banks should have been together as well, not at each end of the thing. Duh.

The leslie and organ presets are truly awful, especially the leslie. But there are some really, really good leslie and organ sounds in there, trust me. I gigged with a B3 for years.

Haven't gotten around to the percussion sounds yet. Still drooling over the synth sounds.
27th May 2012
Old 27th May 2012
Gear Guru

Hey Scott, in the short time I got to play with the J80, I found that the arrpegiator was really cool and I was able to create some pretty amazing and unique textures with it almost immediately. Are you finding this too?

A girl comes towards you, you once used to know
You reach out your hand, but you're all alone

27th May 2012
Old 27th May 2012
Lives for gear

Sonic state looks at jupiter 50.

I still don't see any use for something like this, but perhaps it works for some people like MDs as the guy states in the vid.
27th May 2012
Old 27th May 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodsample View Post

I still don't see any use for something like this, but perhaps it works for some people like MDs as the guy states in the vid.
It doesn't seem like they wanted to make a real synth, but aimed at people doing cover songs or working at a theatre or college music dept.

In my opinion, overpriced junk w/ lot's of bells and whistles you'll never need. And those LCD menus... NASTY.
Also, it's pretty stupid to expect people to buy an Ipad just to use an already overpriced synth.

Why can't they make a synth that's proud to be a synth?

The guy was so proud of the sounds "sounds pretty synthy to me" he said. Sounds like cheap, cheesy VA junk, I thought. That new casio sounds more "synthy."
27th May 2012
Old 27th May 2012
Gear addict

>>EofN:

>>Studio Name:
>>The Casio Cavern.

Nuff said, thanks for the post.
27th May 2012
Old 27th May 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrod View Post
>>EofN:

>>Studio Name:
>>The Casio Cavern.
How did you know?

But seriously, this demo is supposed to make it sound it's best, right? What does it sound like to you? I thought the acoustic emulations were decent, and there's people who need that, but what about synthesis?

The synthesized sounds were so incredibly plastic and mediocre, even when smothered with layers of onboard fx. Sorry, but was I wrong when I expected that it might be an actual decent synthesizer, and not just a rompler for making low budget movie scores?

No, I was not wrong. It is being sold as a synth, but it's synth credibility is simply... absent.

Thank you for your post.
27th May 2012
Old 27th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
..people like MDs ..
What's that?
27th May 2012
Old 27th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EofN View Post
..I thought the acoustic emulations were decent, and there's people who need that, but what about synthesis?

The synthesized sounds were so incredibly plastic and mediocre, even when smothered with layers of onboard fx. ..
That was pretty much my impression too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EofN View Post
It doesn't seem like they wanted to make a real synth, but aimed at people doing cover songs or working at a theatre or college music dept...
Yes. Which kinda gives credit to all the critical electronic musicians in this thread, even though that was about the JP-80.
27th May 2012
Old 27th May 2012
Matrix Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHayduke View Post
What's that?
Musical director, like for a concert tour
27th May 2012
Old 27th May 2012
Gear nut

Quote:

According to the guy from Roland... Moogs sound weaker at the bottom end and better at the top end, while Prophets sound better at the bottom end than the top end.

Wow.
27th May 2012
Old 27th May 2012
Matrix Modulator

I was hoping they would come out with an even less interactive interface than the Jupiter 80.

Yep if I had to choose between designing a "performance" keyboard with a D-beam versus with aftertouch -- oh yeah...
Mr Arkadin
27th May 2012
Old 27th May 2012
Mr Arkadin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Man Micron View Post
According to the guy from Roland... Moogs sound weaker at the bottom end and better at the top end, while Prophets sound better at the bottom end than the top end.

Wow.
I assume he was talking about the modelled versions rather than the real deal, otherwise he's a clueless MD... oh hang on...

I like the Sonic State's guy's constant, but diplomatic, criticisms: use of the Jupiter name, you're using lots of effects and arpeggios in that sound, not really in-depth synth features, I've got to give you a hard time: it's got no aftertouch etc.

My heart sank as soon as the demonstrator said, "One of my jobs is as an MD." and "Oh, this a great one, ClubStack." as he punches the cheesiest Trance sound imaginable.
27th May 2012
Old 27th May 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Arkadin View Post
I assume he was talking about the modelled versions rather than the real deal, otherwise he's a clueless MD... oh hang on...
If he was referring to the modelled versions only, then should we conclude that Roland think the modelling in the JP is weak?

No wonder Sonic State conclude...

"I'm not totally convinced about the synthesis potential..."
27th May 2012
Old 27th May 2012
Lives for gear

I like how he was wearing the Access shirt like some kind of magical ward.

That was actually a pretty good video from Sonicstate, it cleared up a lot of misconceptions I had about the thing. I didn't realize its synthesis engine was built more along the lines of something like a D50, rather than proper subtractive. The pitch man probably would have gotten a lot more traction had he called it "a groundbreaking additive synth" or something.
Pip
27th May 2012
Old 27th May 2012
Pip
Gear addict

For me I think mr sonic state look totally unimpressed, that said, he'd made his mind up before the vtr was rollin. I'm on it £1699.
Mr Arkadin
27th May 2012
Old 27th May 2012
Mr Arkadin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip View Post
For me I think mr sonic state look totally unimpressed, that said, he'd made his mind up before the vtr was rollin.
Well I think he gave the synth more than a fair chance. Asking why it was called a Jupiter was a valid question, as was (paraphrasing):

Mr Sonic State: "So the synthesis isn't that in-depth then."
Mr Pitch: "Well, no. But you can layer tons of stuff until it seems impressive."

Mr Sonic State: "So there's no aftertouch then."
Mr Pitch: "Well, no."

Mr Pitch: "It does half valve trumpets really well though"

28th May 2012
Old 28th May 2012
Lives for gear

As the quote from a viral clip from the new movie Prometheus says "big things have small beginnings"

Get the basics right before you start to layer upon layer of tones -
MusicFan
9th June 2012
Old 9th June 2012
MusicFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Arkadin View Post
Well I think he gave the synth more than a fair chance. Asking why it was called a Jupiter was a valid question, as was (paraphrasing):

Mr Sonic State: "So the synthesis isn't that in-depth then."
Mr Pitch: "Well, no. But you can layer tons of stuff until it seems impressive."

Mr Sonic State: "So there's no aftertouch then."
Mr Pitch: "Well, no."

Mr Pitch: "It does half valve trumpets really well though"

Tracically and embarassingly, the Roland guy was as incompetent, as the Sonicstate guy in that video ...
Of course there are in-depth synth editing possibilities in the Jupiter-50, just inform yourself...and watch these clips: Roland Jupiter-50
9th June 2012
Old 9th June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicFan View Post
Tracically and embarassingly, the Roland guy was as incompetent, as the Sonicstate guy in that video ...
Of course there are in-depth synth editing possibilities in the Jupiter-50, just inform yourself...and watch these clips: Roland Jupiter-50
To save myself trawling through an hour of that, looking for the part about the in-depth synth editing. Would you mind telling me which clip to view?

Ps I notice you mention synth editing rather than synthesis. Are you talking about adsr and filter editing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel View Post
The knob on the Source is perhaps the ballsiest knob ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by apprenticemart2 View Post
I like the sample packs with booby girls on the front cover or sound engineers lookin' 'ard as fur.
Mr Arkadin
9th June 2012
Old 9th June 2012
Mr Arkadin

Quote:
I don't see how the Sonic State guy is incompetent - he's asking the questions, if the Roland demo guy can't provide better answers that's not really Mr SS's fault now is it? I find the fact that Roland are using an MD and not a synthesist to demo this line very telling.
9th June 2012
Old 9th June 2012
Lives for gear

I was playing one of these for a while last weekend, and I found the supernatural piano really playable, the sounds really flow well into one another. But the aliasing in the upper register was really, really glaring. I'm guessing the store model didn't have the new firmware, does it fix that?
MusicFan
9th June 2012
Old 9th June 2012
MusicFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden beers View Post
To save myself trawling through an hour of that, looking for the part about the in-depth synth editing. Would you mind telling me which clip to view?

Ps I notice you mention synth editing rather than synthesis. Are you talking about adsr and filter editing?
I am talking about in-depth synthesizer engine programming of the VA synthesizer, so no reason here, to get cynical....Of course there is VA engine, that you can edit in-depth, as it's known from every other former Roland Synth.. You just can't edit the SuperNatural-ACOUSTIC-Sounds in-depth, but you can still tweak them quite drastically on the Live-Set level.

Scott Tibbs begins to explain the Jupiter-50's VA-Synth in-depth level VA synth engine programming in video nr.4: Roland Jupiter-50

10th June 2012
Old 10th June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I am talking about in-depth synthesizer engine programming of the VA synthesizer, so no reason here, to get cynical....Of course there is VA engine, that you can edit in-depth, as it's known from every other former Roland Synth.. You just can't edit the SuperNatural-ACOUSTIC-Sounds in-depth, but you can still tweak them quite drastically on the Live-Set level.

Scott Tibbs begins to explain the Jupiter-50's VA-Synth in-depth level VA synth engine programming in video nr.4: Roland Jupiter-50

Well I sat through the 'in depth' synth edit video. And surprise surprise you can change the initial wave, the filter and the adsr. So yes i have reason to get cynical, when yet another shill jumps in a thread to exclaim there is deep synthesis on this board. Is deep synthesis to you stacking a bunch of voices?

I think the jp50 has it's place and I'm sure sounds awesome for acoustic sounds.

However, in terms of what I consider 'deep synthesis', it's nowhere.
10th June 2012
Old 10th June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:

Roland's message hasn't been clearly communicated on this one, nobody should have to ask this question this late in the game. I understand that they want to appeal to players and market the Supernatural stuff first as the technologically forward-thinking aspect of it, but burying everything under their arcane language of registrations and partials hasn't helped.

The synthesis becomes clearer once you look at the (quasi-mandatory) iPad editor:

10th June 2012
Old 10th June 2012
Matrix Modulator

I wonder if you can vary the structures of how the partials interact (like just about everything else Roland digital up to now) or if it's just parallel layering of oscillators with no crossmod possibilities.
MusicFan
10th June 2012
Old 10th June 2012
MusicFan

Quote:
Well I sat through the 'in depth' synth edit video. And surprise surprise you can change the initial wave, the filter and the adsr. So yes i have reason to get cynical, when yet another shill jumps in a thread to exclaim there is deep synthesis on this board. Is deep synthesis to you stacking a bunch of voices?

I think the jp50 has it's place and I'm sure sounds awesome for acoustic sounds.

However, in terms of what I consider 'deep synthesis', it's nowhere.
You are revealing your complete lack of knowledge and your uneducated ignorance! The Jupiter-50 has a fully programmable VA subtractive Synthesizer engine with four Low-Pass Filters and in-depth programming possibilities for every single existing parameter, just like the JP-80.

This forum is a waste of time, due to the low level of knowledge and the complete ignorance and lack of education of most of it's participants. It's just a playground for destructive inferiors, with a depraved consumer mentality. I will ignore this forum in the future. Byby folks and have further fun with your wrong facts....
-
WDM
10th June 2012
Old 10th June 2012
WDM
Lives for gear

Quote:
You are revealing your complete lack of knowledge and your uneducated ignorance! The Jupiter-50 has a fully programmable VA subtractive Synthesizer engine with four Low-Pass Filters and in-depth programming possibilities for every single existing parameter, just like the JP-80.

This forum is a waste of time, due to the low level of knowledge and the complete ignorance and lack of education of most of it's participants. It's just a playground for destructive inferiors, with a depraved consumer mentality. I will ignore this forum in the future.Byby folks and have further fun with your wrong facts....
-
Yes, please ignore it.

Or... If you have a deep knowledge, please bring it in and post it here. So, the uneducated crowd would have a chance to decide how deep your knowledge is.
10th June 2012
Old 10th June 2012
MusicFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by asynchro_nous View Post
I wonder if you can vary the structures of how the partials interact (like just about everything else Roland digital up to now) or if it's just parallel layering of oscillators with no crossmod possibilities.
@WDM: You are somewhat right. I have to blame myself for ignorance
Considering your signature "You can't build a reputation on what you are going to do.", I will give an answer to the question above:

You can apply Ring Modulation between Partial 1&2, but not with Partial 3.

New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search