New Reply
Subscribe
omegaomega
21st March 2011
Old 21st March 2011
Lives for gear

Yamaha TX16W

Hello slutz

What is your view of the TX16W? Would you suggest it for low-fi and grit or you think it's not worth it?
I'm familiar with the Roland S50, also a 12bit machine.
How you think it compares to the Roland?
I'm after character and special sound, not accuracy or hi-fi.
It seems everyone says the OS is terrible but using the typhoon OS fixes everything. But I couldn't find any sound examples of the machine or actual comments on it's sound quality.

Any comments welcome!
21st March 2011
Old 21st March 2011
Gear nut

22nd March 2011
Old 22nd March 2011

22nd March 2011
Old 22nd March 2011
Lives for gear

I would say, skip it. Considering how many greater samplers you can buy today for next to nothing, the TX16W doesn't add anything that other samplers don't do better and easier.

Check the Roland S330/550 (with interesting filters that the S50 does not have) or the Emax or a S900 for classy but more lofi sounds or get a Yamaha A4000/5000 for a sampler with grafic editing, very good filters and effects or a Emu E64/IV/ESynth for Emus filter magic and firm bass. All of these can be found in the 100-200 Euro/dollar range.
22nd March 2011
Old 22nd March 2011
Lives for gear

I got three of those machines. The 8 outputs are a big plus, if you ask me. The Typhoon OS is the only thing you ever want to touch, don't even think about the original OS which is a legendary, hard to boot even by Microsoft standards POS!
The TX16W sounds a bit raspy, is dirt cheap and with the Typhoon OS is able to deal with AIFF. If you get a machine, see that it's memory is enough for your plans. The maximum of 6MB will go a long way but forget about sourcing more RAM because Yamaha was kind enough to make sure it doesn't run with generic RAM, only with their proprietary, way overpriced stuff.
Don't hesitate to PM me if you got specific questions.

And yes, there are other hardware samplers that do basically the same job.
GS fun: people who can't drive ask other people who can't drive if they should buy a 12 ton truck or a BMW. Then ask somebody from Berlin (with a map of Moscow) for the way to the train station in Hongkong. Somebody stresses the importance of grabbing the steering wheel with one hand only, as Bruce Swedien was reported to have done that 1986, while reversing into his driveway.
If want to check some tasteful piece of art I was involved, here: https://soundcloud.com/frans_13/organtransplant
omegaomega
24th March 2011
Old 24th March 2011
Lives for gear

Thank you guys! So it seems it might worth it after all...
How much would you pay for one? I have no idea how much they worth. 80 euros, 100 euros? Less?
Are they rare? I don't see many around.

Please enlighten me....
24th March 2011
Old 24th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaomega View Post
Are they rare? I don't see many around.
I would assume that has to do with the absolutely atrocious OS they put in there. We considered buying one when they were new but after 9 hours of not getting any sound of it we shelved that idea. We got a Roland S750 instead.
omegaomega
25th March 2011
Old 25th March 2011
Lives for gear

No one knows then how much a TX16W worth these days?...
25th March 2011
Old 25th March 2011
Gear addict

I owned one years ago with the original OS which as mentioned is shocking. I must've put hundreds of hours in on that thing and there was still something about creating new key ranges that I never did fathom. I read the section in the manual countless times, but it justl seemed to have a mind of it own, reassigning key ranges when new ones were added. There's plenty of other flaws in the original OS like on some pages the + and - buttons were used to navigate the cursor and on others it was the cursor <> arrow buttons.

Sound wise, I think it was quite interesting. Quite different to it's contemporaries of the time. The 16k sampling option had quite a bit of character, definitely different from the source, but in a nice chunky way. The filters though there were many types were the most anaemic I've ever experienced, if you want to know how uncreative a low pass can be, the tx will show you ! It's reversing facilities were pretty cool at the time, you could define sections to be reversed and process as many times as you wanted ( bit like using audiosuite in Protools ). There were also bi directional loops which frequently payed dividends for abstract sounds.

The ins and outs were pretty good. You could use all 8 individual outputs and the L+R individually giving a total of 10 which could be a mixture of stereo and mono. There was also a trigger input. You stuck a mic or other audio signal in there and it would trigger a sample when it crossed the threshold . . pulled some snare replacing tricks with that many moons ago.

By the time the Typhoon OS came out, I'd moved on to fresh pastures with Akai S1000s so didn't ever get experience with that. I remember being pretty impressed that it managed to add the coveted timestretch to the TX16W though.

If I were going to get all nostalgic and consider buying one today, it'd have to be a hundred quid or less to tempt me.
28th March 2011
Old 28th March 2011
Lives for gear

The monetary worth of the TX16W is best summed up in one word: NOTHING. It's worth zilch, none, nix, forgetaboutit. Whatever someone wants to pay for it. That said I wouldn't sell mine, because nobody wants them, prices are nonexist but they are still useful. If you sell something useful but worthless you lost something.
I'd bet you would find a few people who want to get rid of them anyway. I mean, a lot of outputs! Characterful sound! Typhoon OS and they feel like they do what you want.

Someday a documentary will be made on the original OS, the programmers and the executive in charge will be tracked down, put to trial and hanged. It's THAT bad, really. I guess when Bill Gates was looking for inspiration how to do the worlds worst OS he got his inspiration there.
29th March 2011
Old 29th March 2011
Matrix Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by frans View Post
The monetary worth of the TX16W is best summed up in one word: NOTHING. It's worth zilch, none, nix, forgetaboutit. Whatever someone wants to pay for it. That said I wouldn't sell mine, because nobody wants them, prices are nonexist but they are still useful. If you sell something useful but worthless you lost something.
I'd bet you would find a few people who want to get rid of them anyway. I mean, a lot of outputs! Characterful sound! Typhoon OS and they feel like they do what you want.

Someday a documentary will be made on the original OS, the programmers and the executive in charge will be tracked down, put to trial and hanged. It's THAT bad, really. I guess when Bill Gates was looking for inspiration how to do the worlds worst OS he got his inspiration there.
One thing the original OS has in its favor is the ability, like the TX-802, to do round-robin style playback of voices in "performance" mode -- Yamaha calls this "alternate assign" where voices alternate with each key-on in a series of up to eight patches.

I've always wondered if the Typhoon OS retains this feature.
omegaomega
5th May 2011
Old 5th May 2011
Lives for gear

Hey slutz!

I'm looking for the Yamaha TX16W library floppies to download, but it seems the only place that had them online (madtheory site) doesn't currently host them and all of the old ftp sites I could find in Google don't work either.

Does anyone know where I can download those Yamaha TX16W sound library floppies, or has any of them which would like to share?...

Thanks!
6th May 2011
Old 6th May 2011
Lives for gear

You mean the old ones that came for the original operating system? I got a few pounds of these and I don't need them. If you pay for postage you could have them all. PM me, I'll take a photo next week so you can see what I'm talking about.
If you mean the Typhoon .. I can't remember there came any sounds on floppy with it...duh... just made all my soundsets myself and saved them to SCSI on a ZIP disk.
6th May 2011
Old 6th May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
forget about sourcing more RAM because Yamaha was kind enough to make sure it doesn't run with generic RAM, only with their proprietary, way overpriced stuff.
At the time the TX16W came out, generic RAM as we know it today didn't even exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jupiter8 View Post
I would assume that has to do with the absolutely atrocious OS they put in there.
Yamaha dropped out of the sampler market for almost a decade after that disaster. I remember them being blown out for $200 (this when other samplers were still $1500+) when it was discontinued.
6th May 2011
Old 6th May 2011
Lives for gear

Later, other companies offered RAM for the TX16W. Some of it works.. under certain conditions. So it's either original Yamaha RAM or way cheaper generic RAM and some knowhow to make it work.

And I can't urge everyone enough to stay away from the original OS. Words can't describe how awful it is. Go Typhoon OS.
6th May 2011
Old 6th May 2011
Lives for gear

This box had one of the worst user interfaces on the planet.

Yamaha seems incapable of designing an intuitive UI on anything after made after 1980 that isn't a preset machine.
7th May 2011
Old 7th May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I got three of those machines. The 8 outputs are a big plus, if you ask me. The Typhoon OS is the only thing you ever want to touch, don't even think about the original OS which is a legendary, hard to boot even by Microsoft standards POS!
Ha, I was going to say that, as I sold them back when they were new - so hard to use, I pulled my hair out and basically gave up demoing them, EMU and Roland were so much easier! Glad to hear they fixed the OS, but even so I'll bet it's nowhere near as easy as the Akai, Emax/or S-50 with a monitor and mouse!

TX16W-OS
7th May 2011
Old 7th May 2011
Gear interested

Quote:
Hey slutz!

I'm looking for the Yamaha TX16W library floppies to download, but it seems the only place that had them online (madtheory site) doesn't currently host them and all of the old ftp sites I could find in Google don't work either.
The files are actually still on madtheory's site, but you have to manually type in each individual zip and txt file to download them. This requires you to know the exact directory and filenames as well, though. But there are files in each directory called 00INDEX.TXT that list the directory's contents, allowing for the manual procedure to work out. It's a pretty laborious process, and one I went through about a month ago, so here's the full directory structures zipped up that is hopefully more convenient:

http://coelomic.org/tx16w/TX16W-Yamaha.zip
http://coelomic.org/tx16w/TX16W-Typhoon.zip

I've yet to actually check any of the disks out, but my understanding is that all the files in the Yamaha zip are in the Yamaha file format, while all the files in the Typhoon zip are in the Typhoon file format. And I believe the only missing files are the disks of the Roland R8 in the Yamaha Drums directory. They seemed to be missing on madtheory's site, sadly.

Quote:
Does anyone know where I can download those Yamaha TX16W sound library floppies, or has any of them which would like to share?...
There's also some files over at the TX16W Yahoo group, but I don't believe there are nearly as many as what madtheory has. There may be some different disks, though. I haven't yet compared.
10th May 2011
Old 10th May 2011
Lives for gear

Here's what I got for you:

The red ones are the pack the machine came with. There are a few more of these in the pack below.
omegaomega
10th May 2011
Old 10th May 2011
Lives for gear

Thank you slutz! Thank you !!!

>rcaine
I managed to download the library from the links you posted. I appreciate it a lot. It seems very hard to download it from the mad theory site, so thank you for posting those links here.

>frans
Unfortunately I don't have a means to pay the postage, no credit card, no paypal etc. But I appreciate the offer.
It would be good to have those disks, but I guess they are included in the mad theory files? Who knows.
Thank you again though.
10th May 2011
Old 10th May 2011
Lives for gear

No Problem! The red disks are propably all on the site, the rest ... maybe you want them later, maybe not - the are stored in my basement.
omegaomega
10th May 2011
Old 10th May 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks again frans!
I appreciate it!
10th May 2011
Old 10th May 2011
Lives for gear

I think the TX16W does indeed have a special character, but I don't know if its the character you are looking for. Do you happen to have any examples of your music to give an idea of the particular vibe your shooting for in terms of character?

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com App

"IMO VST's cannot also be VA's." --- dankelly

"We are gentle and dont point with the finger at it.. one in a while.. no big deal..
And the kids can use them all the time.. no problem.. in the kindergarden.. not on the street of cause..
" --- 3phase
omegaomega
10th May 2011
Old 10th May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sftd View Post
I think the TX16W does indeed have a special character, but I don't know if its the character you are looking for. Do you happen to have any examples of your music to give an idea of the particular vibe your shooting for in terms of character?

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com App
Never mind. I finally got it and so far I'm loving it!...
11th May 2011
Old 11th May 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real MC View Post
This box had one of the worst user interfaces on the planet.
I had no problem understanding the TX16W. But, when you consider that my first synth was a DX7, then added the TX816, and my first sequencer was a QX7 - I learned a lot using 2 character LED displays!

By contrast, the TX16W has a nice double line display screen. I bought 2 of them, back in the days (87-88) when they cost $1,700. They still work great and have a clean sound. Amazingly, Yamaha kept the TX16W relevant with compatibility to the SY99 (loads samples right from TX disks) and the Yamaha A5000 sampler.

I've never tried Typhoon. I prefer the original OS 1 to OS 2, because it is so memory streamlined - you can keep your filter tables onboard, for most soundsets, and you can load 2 part disk libraries using the base RAM.

I once took both TX16Ws and over 100 floppy disks to a TV station to dub a feature length movie, mastered on 1" tape. (The SY77's sequencer kept all the dialogue in sync!) Thanks to looping backgrounds, I was able to get a lot of mileage out of the base RAM. You can see some of that in this old video.

11th May 2011
Old 11th May 2011
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to dietrich10
I still remember my joy when getting one of these for a steal as my 2nd sampler after a Mirage...
Original OS...how many places did you have to put the sample before you could play it back? I still have nitemares.

From this to an Emax was night and day in 1989.

but an old emax for filters and ease of use!
11th May 2011
Old 11th May 2011
Gear Head

I picked one up for $17 because I knew it was 12bit, boy was I disappointed. When I turned it on, it just froze, but I ended up finding the Typhoon OS and loaded it up, but I still haven't used it on a single track.

Does anyone have a link to somewhere online that could help me get through the Typhoon OS? I've figured out as far as getting sound recorded, but I don't know how to assign it out so I can record and play back more than one sample at a time.

So my advice would be to get something like an Akai S-900/950. The TX16W really is just a pain when it comes down to it.
omegaomega
11th May 2011
Old 11th May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diao View Post
I picked one up for $17 because I knew it was 12bit, boy was I disappointed. When I turned it on, it just froze, but I ended up finding the Typhoon OS and loaded it up, but I still haven't used it on a single track.

Does anyone have a link to somewhere online that could help me get through the Typhoon OS? I've figured out as far as getting sound recorded, but I don't know how to assign it out so I can record and play back more than one sample at a time.

So my advice would be to get something like an Akai S-900/950. The TX16W really is just a pain when it comes down to it.
You can find the Typhoon manual online, at the same web site you can download the O.S. and the manual.
But it is also available here
http://www.dompselaar.org/Yamaha/TX1...yphoon2000.zip

Also look at this
Typhoon FAQ, Part 1

I honestly don't find it so hard to use. Maybe because I was using my DX7 and M1 since I was a teenager. I actually took it very easily!!!...
It is as far as it goes from any software sampler of today, and that's probably why I like it!
12th May 2011
Old 12th May 2011
Gear interested

Quote:
>rcaine
I managed to download the library from the links you posted. I appreciate it a lot. It seems very hard to download it from the mad theory site, so thank you for posting those links here.
Hey, glad I could help out. And it was a good excuse to finally get them uploaded at least in some manner.

Also, would you mind if I jump on frans' offer of passing along his collection of disks for the sake of being able to go through them and upload all the ones that aren't part of madtheory's library? I'd host them along side with the ones I've uploaded above, but probably create a mini-site to allow for more info and better downloading options. No worries at all, though, if you were looking to take him up on the offer later down the road.
12th May 2011
Old 12th May 2011
Lives for gear

So who do I send my disks now?
Because I don't got the means to read these disks on a computer, just the samplers.
I think it's a good idea to make all that stuff available online, so everybody out there can use the samples. A lot of these disks I didn't sample myself but they came with the three TX16Ws I bought back then.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search