Akai S3200XL Ram & Flash Rom FMX-008
New Reply
Subscribe
HSLand
13th March 2011
Old 13th March 2011
Lives for gear

Akai S3200XL Ram & Flash Rom FMX-008

There's some conflicting info out there. I looked at the S3200XL manual and it says that there is 1 ram slot for installing an extra SIMM. I also opened it up and there's a single slot. However I found the following on this website: What kind of RAM does hte Akai S3200XL use?

Quote:
The S3200XL uses standard 72 pin SIMM chips (our Q type SIMMs in inventory). 16Mb stock soldered on mother board. Has two SIMMs slots that can hold 4 or 16Mb SIMMs. Simms can be installed in singles. Possible memory configurations are 16Mb, 20Mb, 24Mb, and 32Mb. This machine cannot access anything over 32Mb, and will ignore any memory beyond 32Mb. Also you have 2 card slots in the back of the machine that take 8Mb flash ram cards (FMX008) - 2 cards can be installed at the same time for 16Mb of flash ram (basically ROM) samples. Fully blown machine would have 16Mb ROM samples and 32Mb sample RAM.
Weird. They must have their info wrong?

Also, does anyone know if there's a way to check how much ram is inside the Akai sampler? I took out the single SIMM that was installed and it doesn't say 16mb or anything on it, just a random serial number.

Which brings me onto the flash rom boards. It says in the manual that it takes two additional 8MB flash rom boards called the FMX-008. I searched and didn't find any for sale, but I did find the following: Virtual Sounds Technology - Akai EXM3008 EXM-3008 8 Mb Memory Expansion for S3000 - is this really a replacement for the original FMX-008 flash rom boards? Must be a clone or something. Unless this is talking about an S3200, and not an S3200XL, but it was my understanding that there was no S3200, only an S3200XL.
13th March 2011
Old 13th March 2011
Lives for gear

RAM first. The S3200XL comes with 16 MB imbedded on the motherboard and has two slots for 72 pin SIMMs and the machine can use any combination of on board memory and SIMM memory, but will only address
the first 32MB. So if you install a pair of 16MB SIMMs the sampler will only recognize 32MB even though there is 48MB installed. Remember that when the S3200XL began production, a single 16MB SIMM was a rare and expensive upgrade and that often the SIMMs required that they be installed in pairs.

The flash ROM is a different beast, and is best thought of as an alternative to an external drive. You could write your own samples and programs to the ROM and access that ROM like any other storage medium. the S3200XL can have a maximum of two 8MB flash ROM cards installed.

The cards you've found are clones of the proprietary RAM used in earlier Akai samplers, and are not the same as the flash ROMs used in the XL machines.
13th March 2011
Old 13th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSLand View Post
Also, does anyone know if there's a way to check how much ram is inside the Akai sampler? .
It's displayed on the screen upon boot up.

Quote:
Which brings me onto the flash rom boards. It says in the manual that it takes two additional 8MB flash rom boards called the FMX-008. I searched and didn't find any for sale, but I did find the following: Virtual Sounds Technology - Akai EXM3008 EXM-3008 8 Mb Memory Expansion for S3000 - is this really a replacement for the original FMX-008 flash rom boards?
I'm guessing that since the thing in the link is called "EXM3008" - not FMX 008 and it doesant mention flash ram anywhere then it is just a memory expansion. It even cals it a "memory expansion".

EXM - would be expansion memory - FMX would be flash memory expansion.

Quote:
Must be a clone or something. Unless this is talking about an S3200, and not an S3200XL, but it was my understanding that there was no S3200, only an S3200XL.
There is indeed an S3200(google it and you'll see). The xl models usually have extra features geared towards AV production houses and the like.
HSLand
13th March 2011
Old 13th March 2011
Lives for gear

Hmm, there's only a single slot for ram in my S3200XL. It says the same thing in the manual I think. So Konketsu, you're saying that there's an additional ram slot somewhere that I'm not seeing? The manual of the S3000XL has two sockets, and the manual for the S3200XL has one.

I'm going to guess that the link I posted to what I thought was flash memory, is the proprietary ram used for the S3000 series. And I'm talking the S3000 series, not any of the XL series.
13th March 2011
Old 13th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hmm, there's only a single slot for ram in my S3200XL. It says the same thing in the manual I think. So Konketsu, you're saying that there's an additional ram slot somewhere that I'm not seeing? The manual of the S3000XL has two sockets, and the manual for the S3200XL has one.

I'm going to guess that the link I posted to what I thought was flash memory, is the proprietary ram used for the S3000 series. And I'm talking the S3000 series, not any of the XL series.
It's been a while since I've been inside my 3200XL and I thought there were two RAM slots, but I may be mistaken and I'm too lazy to pop it out of the rack to confirm , so you could be right.

The S3000XL is a "stripped down" 3200XL with only 2MB on board, so it may be that the S3000XL has two slots in order to make up for the RAM difference between the two.

And yeah, the link posted is for the older S3000 series machines.
13th March 2011
Old 13th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

The akai Flash Rom cards uses a funky connection type, like a newbus expansion card or there efects card unlike the common ram type simm connectors.

Emu used the same slot type for there Flash Rom, Program Rom/Ram, Expansion Rom and Simms in there devices. I think Kurtzweil did the same thing, but I've never owned one yet.
HSLand
13th March 2011
Old 13th March 2011
Lives for gear

Come to find out, there's another name for the FMX-008 or something. They're called the FMC-01 and FMC-02 and I think they're compatible with the S3200XL. I'm not sure if they're exactly the same and the company called Mutec manufactured all of them for Akai, or what. There's a little info about it in this thread: Akai S2000 Flash ROM FMX-008

I'm after those FMX-008 or FMC-01 cards, they seem impossible to find.
HSLand
13th March 2011
Old 13th March 2011
Lives for gear

HSLand
13th March 2011
Old 13th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Mitch View Post
It's displayed on the screen upon boot up.
I'm not seeing it. I turned it on with and without the extra SIMM to see if that would make a difference but there wasn't. When loading something you can see Memory Free: 100% or something like that but it doesn't say the exact amount in mb. EDIT: Never mind, it's MWords, so I got it now.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search