Eurythmics Sweet Dreams
Arcadia
4th March 2011
Old 4th March 2011
Lives for gear

Eurythmics Sweet Dreams

I always thought Sweet Dreams main synth line was the SH-2... I seem to recall having read that somewhere else on these boards.
4th March 2011
Old 4th March 2011
Lives for gear

Im sure dave stewart said himself it was an ob-x.
4th March 2011
Old 4th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadia View Post
I always thought Sweet Dreams main synth line was the SH-2... I seem to recall having read that somewhere else on these boards.
Dave Stewart had a SH-09/CSQ-100 combo that he used on the album, not a SH-2.

As for the Sweet dreams synth(s); I was told by a guy who claims to have been present in the studio when "Sweet dreams" was recorded back in late '82, that Annie Lennox played both the bass-riff and solo on a Juno-6.

Whatever the thruth, here's a screen shot of a live performance on the tube from Feb 1983 where the auxiliary keyboard player uses an OB-X, Juno-6 (or 60) and Odyssey:

What I do know with certainty is that Eurythmics used the SH-09/CSQ-100, Juno-60 and a Prophet 5 during the 1983 tour.
4th March 2011
Old 4th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikael488 View Post
As for the Sweet dreams synth(s); I was told by a guy who claims to have been present in the studio when "Sweet dreams" was recorded back in late '82, that Annie Lennox played both the bass-riff and solo on a Juno-6.
I would love to know exactly which synth was used in "Sweet Dreams".

I'm not familiar with the OB-X, but I know there's a synth factory patch on the Juno-60 that sounds very similar to it, but who knows... it could also be an OB-X.

Is there a kind soul on this forum who has currently both OB-X and Juno-6/60 who's willing to do a bit of comparison and try to determine which one was used in Sweet Dreams? Please please?

---
4th March 2011
Old 4th March 2011
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Varaldo View Post
Is there a kind soul on this forum who has currently both OB-X and Juno-6/60 who's willing to do a bit of comparison and try to determine which one was used in Sweet Dreams? Please please?
I don't have an OB-X. I saw one at Starving Musician in Sunnyvale, CA for $450 back in 1996, but I decided to pass on it.

I did own a Juno-60 for several years, and to my ears it sounded very little like the Sweet Dreams riff. The Sweet Dreams synth sounds like it has 2 oscillators, instead of 1-osc plus chorusing, or 1-osc plus PWM. Just my $0.01 (not even 2 cents worth, since I don't have an OB-X).
4th March 2011
Old 4th March 2011
Lives for gear

guy i know told me that when he meet Dave in person about few months ago he asked him about "sweet dreams synth" Dave told its OBX .. so i believe that is true .. !
4th March 2011
Old 4th March 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:

I'm not familiar with the OB-X, but I know there's a synth factory patch on the Juno-60 that sounds very similar to it, but who knows... it could also be an OB-X.

---
I spoke to Dave Stewart last year when we met in Sofia/Bulgaria, we were guests on the same festival. He said that every single sound on "Sweet Dreams" = Oberheim OBX.
4th March 2011
Old 4th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by roginator View Post
guy i know told me that when he meet Dave in person about few months ago he asked him about "sweet dreams synth" Dave told its OBX .. so i believe that is true .. !
Same guy as here below by any chance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericdestler View Post
I spoke to Dave Steward last year when we met in Sofia/Bulgaria, we were guests on the same festival. He said that every single sound on "Sweet Dreams" = Oberheim OBX.
Thank you, Eric, coming from the real source, that definitely settles it then.. OB-X it is!

4th March 2011
Old 4th March 2011
Lives for gear

Hearsay!

I call it the Sweet Dreams Mystery and I'm glad we don't know for sure.
better culture that way.
4th March 2011
Old 4th March 2011
Gear addict

Quote:
I can't really remember where I heard this from, but I believe it is 2 different synths, Juno 60 & Roland SH-09 layered and panned hard right and left. if you play back the track and pan to the right you can hear the juno 60 and to the left you can hear the SH-09.
4th March 2011
Old 4th March 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericdestler View Post
Hey Don, how about a trade ? I'll give you a beautiful casio synthesizer so you can play "Da da da" every day and you give me that awful, ugly and heavy OBX, ha what do you say ?
I'd be interested in trade if that Casio had a VEGAS mode. In fact i'm only interested in synths with VEGAS mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEBEQ View Post
I can't really remember where I heard this from, but I believe it is 2 different synths, Juno 60 & Roland SH-09 layered and panned hard right and left. if you play back the track and pan to the right you can hear the juno 60 and to the left you can hear the SH-09.

Left and right channel contain exactly the same synth sound, bro.

YouTube - Eurythmics Sweet Dreams
4th March 2011
Old 4th March 2011
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post

Left and right channel contain exactly the same synth sound, bro.

YouTube - Eurythmics Sweet Dreams
You are listening to You tube. I have a High quality MP3 and They are Definitely panned no question about it.
4th March 2011
Old 4th March 2011
Quote:
You are listening to You tube. I have a High quality MP3 and They are Definitely panned no question about it.
Yeah, you're right. Just checked the vinyl. They are panned. PWM on the one side, saw on the other. thumbsup
5th March 2011
Old 5th March 2011
Gear addict

Quote:
Yeah, you're right. Just checked the vinyl. They are panned. PWM on the one side, saw on the other. thumbsup
Here is an old thread on Harmony Central discussing Sweet Dreams if you scroll half way down there is a post by scottsleigh who's father worked in Dave stewarts home. So I think an SH-2 and a Juno-60 was used.

Eurythmics "Sweet Dreams" synth [Archive] - Harmony Central Forums
6th March 2011
Old 6th March 2011
Quote:
Here is an old thread on Harmony Central discussing Sweet Dreams if you scroll half way down there is a post by scottsleigh who's father worked in Dave stewarts home. So I think an SH-2 and a Juno-60 was used.

Eurythmics "Sweet Dreams" synth [Archive] - Harmony Central Forums
After some more listening (like 20 times or so) i think you are correct! Those in fact might be SH-2 and Juno 60 combined together in the track, and not an OB-X.

= OB-X
6th March 2011
Old 6th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

= OB-X
6th March 2011
Old 6th March 2011
Lives for gear

just goes to show even a juno 60 can be fat as hell, in the right hands of course...

cocaine's a helluva drug.
6th March 2011
Old 6th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
That would be a good idea. In most cases a synth's not just what we see on the outside and AFAIK about only thing rev2 and rev3 have in common is the wooden case, knobs and the set of keys. And that's about it.

After some more listening (like 20 times or so) i think you are correct! Those in fact might be SH-2 and Juno 60 combined together in the track, and not an OB-X.

= OB-X

Unless it really is the OB-X we hear on Sweet dreams--which it probably is since Mr. Stewart said so-- I bet it was all done on a Juno-6, rather than a Juno-60, because I doubt the latter was available on the market at the time of recording. Afaik the 60 was released at the end of '82 (the 1st ed. of the service manual is dated '83 though) and Sweet dreams was recorded in the fall of that year.

And as I mentioned earlier Mr. Stewart used a SH-09, not a SH-2. I'm sure about this because the SH-09 is mentioned several times in a keyboard magazine interview I have from 1984. There's no mention about the OB-X in this interview (nor in any other article/interview I have read) but Stewart says he used the SH-09/CSQ-100 combo on the Sweet dreams album (eg in the beginning of This Is The House) as well as on tour.

Here's an excerpt from the article:

"I like the SH-09 synthesizer, he says. "I've had it with me on hundreds of jobs; it's like Old Faithful. And it's this particular one I love. I've used another SH-09 when mine was broken, and it wasn't the same. I put everything in the same position, and it sounded completely different to my ears. "Lots of the "synth-sounds" on this record came from a Farfisa Compact organ."

And lastly, a gearlist that was published in the Feb 1984 issue of the magazine "One Two Testing":

Roland Space Echo, SH09, SH-101, Juno 60, Drumatix(TR-606), CSQ100, Oberheim DMX, Simmons, a Casio, Wasp with Catepillar keyboard, Ibanez multi-effects rack, Voletra eight-voice (on trial and not working that well), and a Roland GR300/G505 (used live only).
6th March 2011
Old 6th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

= OB-X

You guys are driving me crazy It's a Juno-6! No, it's an OB-X! No, it's a combination of Juno-60 and SH-2! LOL

I can hear it's two synth lines panned... but which one/s??

I thought the guy above, Eric, asked directly the question to Stewart?

Eric, did you ask him the specific question on the synth line on Sweet Dreams specifically, or just on the album in general?

I just remember the Juno-60 having that similar PWM sound, but never had an OB-X to compare... even though you guys are giving major OB-X gas to the whole forum
6th March 2011
Old 6th March 2011
Quote:
And as I mentioned earlier Mr. Stewart used a SH-09, not a SH-2. I'm sure about this because the SH-09 is mentioned several times in a keyboard magazine interview I have from 1984. There's no mention about the OB-X in this interview (nor in any other article/interview I have read) but Stewart says he used the SH-09/CSQ-100 combo on the Sweet dreams album (eg in the beginning of This Is The House) as well as on tour.
Good info. Thanks for sharing! thumbsup

Quote:
You guys are driving me crazy It's a Juno-6! No, it's an OB-X! No, it's a combination of Juno-60 and SH-2! LOL
I think it was the Nord!
6th March 2011
Old 6th March 2011
Lives for gear

Another excerpt on this subject, this time from the Nov 1983 issue of Musician;

"Up onstage for the show, now. Eurythmics on the road is an eight-piece band. Dave alternates between straight and bottleneck guitar (run through an lbanez multi-effects rack and a little practice amp of unknown English vintage): Roland CSO-100 sequencer and SH-09 hooked into a space echo, and a Tascam Portastudio. The Portastudio serves more than one purpose. On its various tracks are recorded drum patterns, sequencer runs, vocal choir effects. Dave fades them in and out as he wants, augmenting and ornamenting the songs. Sometimes the drum pattern can be heard by the audience; sometimes it's sent strictly to the band's drummer giving him a reference beat for his own exertions on a full Simmons electronic drum kit, plus real snare. The bassist snaps and pumps furiously, humanizing the beat. The chordal keyboardist (Dave plays mostly bass lines and single-note riffs) keeps texture happening with a Prophet 5 and a Juno 60. The backup singers bring in the damndest simultaneous hints of cabaret and Motown. And of course...Annie. Annie who is pulling out all the stops."

The SH-09 can be seen in both these videos with Eurythmics:
YouTube - Eurythmics Wrap It Up live 1983
YouTube - Eurythmics I've Got An Angel Live From Heaven 1983

Getting back to the Sweet Dreams bass-riff again, this Juno-60 demo comes very close to the sound used on the original (@5:10):
YouTube - ROLAND JUNO-60 DEMO high quality sound ! Vintage analog synthesizer 1982

The plot thickens!
6th March 2011
Old 6th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think it was the Nord!
thumbsup YES!!! IT IS INDEED the Nord! I just found out that my uncle's cousin has a sister whose husband's nephew had a good friend who was a policeman who once caught Dave Stewart's mom parked illegally in front of a supermarket.

To thank the cop for letting her go with just a warning instead of ticketing her, she told him that indeed, Dave used a prototype Nord for Sweet Dreams -

<---- rare shot of the prototype Nord used by Dave Stewart
6th March 2011
Old 6th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Another excerpt on this subject, this time from the Nov 1983 issue of Musician;

"Up onstage for the show, now. Eurythmics on the road is an eight-piece band. Dave alternates between straight and bottleneck guitar (run through an lbanez multi-effects rack and a little practice amp of unknown English vintage): Roland CSO-100 sequencer and SH-09 hooked into a space echo, and a Tascam Portastudio. The Portastudio serves more than one purpose. On its various tracks are recorded drum patterns, sequencer runs, vocal choir effects. Dave fades them in and out as he wants, augmenting and ornamenting the songs. Sometimes the drum pattern can be heard by the audience; sometimes it's sent strictly to the band's drummer giving him a reference beat for his own exertions on a full Simmons electronic drum kit, plus real snare. The bassist snaps and pumps furiously, humanizing the beat. The chordal keyboardist (Dave plays mostly bass lines and single-note riffs) keeps texture happening with a Prophet 5 and a Juno 60. The backup singers bring in the damndest simultaneous hints of cabaret and Motown. And of course...Annie. Annie who is pulling out all the stops."

The SH-09 can be seen in both these videos with Eurythmics:
YouTube - Eurythmics Wrap It Up live 1983
YouTube - Eurythmics I've Got An Angel Live From Heaven 1983

Getting back to the Sweet Dreams bass-riff again, this Juno-60 demo comes very close to the sound used on the original (@5:10):
YouTube - ROLAND JUNO-60 DEMO high quality sound ! Vintage analog synthesizer 1982

The plot thickens!
Micke, thank you as usual for all your info!!

When I did a demo for the PWM sound of the Juno-60, I mocked up the line of Sweet Dreams (wrong notes and all), and that's why it reminds me of it... but who knows, really I think one of us needs to gather the Juno-6/60, OB-X, and SH-2/9 and settle this!!

Come on, I know we can do it!
6th March 2011
Old 6th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
thumbsup YES!!! IT IS INDEED the Nord! I just found out that my uncle's cousin has a sister whose husband's nephew had a good friend who was a policeman who once caught Dave Stewart's mom parked illegally in front of a supermarket.

To thank the cop for letting her go with just a warning instead of ticketing her, she told him that indeed, Dave used a prototype Nord for Sweet Dreams -

LOL
BM0
6th March 2011
Old 6th March 2011
Quote:

Awesome! I can now sleep comfortably at night knowing that the Nord which I so proudly own was used in Sweet Dreams. I was worried that I made a bad purchase. Now if I can just prove that Tangerine Dream used the Nord, it will mean I have the bestest synthesizer ever.
6th March 2011
Old 6th March 2011
Lives for gear

I have OBX, Juno 60, and Promars all on the same rack..I will let you know what sounds closest...
6th March 2011
Old 6th March 2011
Gear addict

Quote:

= OB-X
I think we should start a separate thread on this Sweet Dreams Subject, as it has always driven me nuts on what exactly was used and how it was played to get that exact bass riff. Maybe some of us can even have a go at it and see if anyone is able to come close to the original.
I have a Juno 60 for one of the bass parts and i can improvise with my SH-5 or Jupiter 8 for the other bass synth.
Who's down for giving it a shot?
6th March 2011
Old 6th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think we should start a separate thread on this Sweet Dreams Subject, as it has always driven me nuts on what exactly was used and how it was played to get that exact bass riff. Maybe some of us can even have a go at it and see if anyone is able to come close to the original.
I have a Juno 60 for one of the bass parts and i can improvise with my SH-5 or Jupiter 8 for the other bass synth.
Who's down for giving it a shot?
well, I have a sh-2, juno 60, and jupiter 8, everything but an sh-09 or ob-x, but I suppose I could just not use OSC2 on the sh-2 and it should be fairly similar...I might be interesting in trying it.
7th March 2011
Old 7th March 2011
Gear addict

Sweet Dreams

So I see a few people here are also curious as to what synths were used to make the original bass riff for Sweet Dreams by the Eurythmics. What we have gathered from the last thread is that A Juno-60 and a SH-09 were used. They were also panned left and right if you listen to the original.

I have been trying to get that brassy bass on my Juno but have been unsuccessful. I am starting to wounder if maybe a P5 or an OB were used.

If anyone has any further insight on how this bass riff was made or is interested in trying to replicate it, that would be awesome.
7th March 2011
Old 7th March 2011
Lives for gear

?

Sh-09 for bass... you already new that. I saw an interview where dave stewart said only those 2 synths were used... so why are you looking for a different answer?
Sh-09 for bass...... end of thread

Quote:
So I see a few people here are also curious as to what synths were used to make the original bass riff for Sweet Dreams by the Eurythmics. What we have gathered from the last thread is that A Juno-60 and a SH-09 were used. They were also panned left and right if you listen to the original.

I have been trying to get that brassy bass on my Juno but have been unsuccessful. I am starting to wounder if maybe a P5 or an OB were used.

If anyone has any further insight on how this bass riff was made or is interested in trying to replicate it, that would be awesome.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search