I Heart Arpeggios
Old 6th March 2011
Gear maniac

I Heart Arpeggios

I figured this would be a fun mixup to get people active.
Sort of like the Slutty setups thread.

Since we all love synths and lust after analog beasts, would you guys kindly post some snippets of some wicked arpeggiations you have from from your arsenal of gear.

Old 6th March 2011
Lives for gear

Old 6th March 2011
Lives for gear

didnt take xero long to turn I <3 arpeggios to; I <3 smoking crack to arpeggios, did it?

Old 6th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden beers View Post
didnt take xero long to turn I <3 arpeggios to; I <3 smoking crack to arpeggios did it?

you really like saying that p5 bass arpeggio track is on crack don't you?

while I wasn't on crack, I probably was on something slightly more uhh...organic :P
Old 6th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xero View Post
you really like saying that p5 bass arpeggio track is on crack don't you?
dude admit it, you were on crack when you played that wernt you?

or meth.

or H.

prolly H.

golden brown, texture like sun....

Old 6th March 2011
Lives for gear

lol, HA. I wasn't really, I swear. I've never even done those things, thank god...i stick to my psychedelics :P I didn't actually play anything in that track live though, well, I might have recorded live playing via midi and then sequenced it, but some of it I sequenced entirely. Basically, I hate my sequencer, and I want an MPC or something with proper quantize, because I'm not really happy with any sequences I record from live playing.

ok part of the blame is this

the whiteface arp odyssey (the lead) is a finnicky little bastard, and sounds like it's on crack anyway. It stays in tune, usually, but it just has a very arpy drunk sound, i love those arp envelopes

the edp wasp (comes in around 18 seconds) doesn't need much help to sound crazy. I just had the LFO going on it with a real basic sequence I made.

and the cs-10 (1 minute mark) well, the cs-10 has 2 envelopes, and that 2nd envelope really does make a difference. awesome for those warbly sounds.

its all mostly LFOs though. I might have did some knob twiddling here and there while the sequences were playing though, you can tell though.
Old 7th March 2011
Lives for gear

back on topic, here's one I made around when I just got my jupiter 8 last may, haven't uploaded it to soundcloud before so here it is now:

http://soundcloud.com/portable-beat-box/jupiter-8-melody

kind of dark, and slow paced, as was I, I remember I made this literally at like 2 or 3am in the morning and half passed out, couldn't even keep my eyes open, was just playing by feel, ****ups and all, lol

crap i forgot this one i just made the other day too

http://soundcloud.com/portable-beat-box/sh-101-sequence

and of course the juno 60 arpeggio

http://soundcloud.com/portable-beat-box/newjuno101song
Old 7th March 2011
Gear addict

Old 7th March 2011
Lives for gear

oh shit i've GOT to try that now. damn...that's awesome. very tech-housey sound goin. i think my 707 needs some new batteries though...
Old 7th March 2011
Lives for acid

I miss my Nord Rack 3. Best arpeggiator ever.

Beaumont - fantastic tune!
Old 7th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by networkacid View Post
Beaumont - fantastic tune!
+1 fantastic tune! thumbsup

Older track of mine, as far as I remember I used the original Virus A for the arps:
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 See you soon.mp3 (7.76 MB, 899 views)
Old 7th March 2011
Gear addict

Glad you guys liked the tune! Some great arp's in this thread. Keep em coming...
Old 7th March 2011
Lives for gear

Old 7th March 2011
Lives for gear

1st 5 minutes is JP-8 arp in random mode

Old 8th March 2011
Lives for gear

wow, a topic right up my alley..

here's an old vid of mine: grabbed a chord with JP8 in random arpeggio and hit HOLD, then went on tweaking its paramters, and some improv with A6 on top. JP8 goes thru BBD delay Boss DM-300 - you cant have an arpeggio without a decent echo machine, it is forbidden . and then a touch of Orville reverb.

and here's one of the first demos i did when i got JP8, also random arp, playing with parameters , cross modulation, sync etc..

http://www.babic.com/SYN/JP-8/clc_JP8_fx-tweak-arp.mp3

Old 8th March 2011
Deleted User

Old 8th March 2011
Gear nut

can someone advise an idiot on getting good arp results similar to some of those above??

the 707 + juno sounds nice, but am i correct in thinking that for every programmed rimshot it advances and plays the junos sequencer by one note? is that also useable with a hold function?

with the likes of the jupiter is it just an basic arp (up, down etc) at which you would fire a note/chord which would then be played accordingly?

i am trying to liken the above with the arp on the nova (it seesm somewhat over-designed compared to the simplicity of the old rolands) that i have, which can either be mono or poly. i guess that means it behaves like the jupiter rather than the juno?
Old 8th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaumont View Post
http://soundcloud.com/beaumont-stanford/beaumont-hello-juno

This track is all juno 60. The bass line is a pattern on the 707 triggering the arp. Same with the main synth line. Swing and the juno arp is one of my favorite sounds ever..
Dude, really great track! Reminds me of stuff I used to enjoy in the early '00s on Platipus records, etc. Great production and emotion!
Old 8th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarara View Post
can someone advise an idiot on getting good arp results similar to some of those above??

with the likes of the jupiter is it just an basic arp (up, down etc) at which you would fire a note/chord which would then be played accordingly?

the jp's have great arps dont they - yeah, its a chordal random mode and is brilliant.

you can get there with jp8k btw - it has provided some fantastic meloldies for me!
Old 8th March 2011
Lives for gear

Old 9th March 2011
Lives for gear

I love your video Clusterchord. And that's a nice stack o'synths... I think I caught a glimpse of an OB-Xa above the JP8 too.

Too bad the only synth I have with a random arp is my Motif XS. Alesis ashamedly left that feature off the Andromeda...
Old 9th March 2011
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaumont View Post
This track is all juno 60. The bass line is a pattern on the 707 triggering the arp. Same with the main synth line. Swing and the juno arp is one of my favorite sounds ever..
great tune man! thumbsup
Old 9th March 2011
Gear addict

I Heart Arpeggios

Can use the arp midi out from the xs to trigger the andromeda right though? I use the xs arpeggiator on other synths a lot, its one of the main reasons ive still got it ( dont really use the internal sounds)

(realise using midi isnt quite as nice as using internal arps of course! - I also wish andy arps/seq could output midi/cvs!))
Old 9th March 2011
Gear interested

http://soundcloud.com/fuzzmaster101/arpiness-in-synthery
I saw this thread and thought I'd call up this old idea and roughly cobble it together. The Arp and pads were improvised live and I've left them untouched (there's even a mistake towards the end). I've just stuck some drums and a new bassline onto it today so I could post it here (the original bassline was also played in live as part of the original take but I wasn't so happy with it, but the notes of the bass add to the arpeggio pattern so it's still there in spirit).

The original take was played on three synths Casio CZ1 (Arp) Korg DW8000 (Pad) and Yamaha DX7s (Bass, not used) using Cubase's Apache 5 arpeggiator. The new bass is a patch I knocked up today on Steinberg's Prologue. Kit parts are spread between Stylus RMX and Steinberg Halion. All synth sounds were programmed by me. Additional effects come courtesy of Cubase's standard set and possibly the IK CSR plug-in (I can't remember if I had that when this was first written and I forgot to check today).
Old 9th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzmaster101 View Post
http://soundcloud.com/fuzzmaster101/arpiness-in-synthery
I saw this thread and thought I'd call up this old idea and roughly cobble it together. The Arp and pads were improvised live and I've left them untouched (there's even a mistake towards the end). I've just stuck some drums and a new bassline onto it today so I could post it here (the original bassline was also played in live as part of the original take but I wasn't so happy with it, but the notes of the bass add to the arpeggio pattern so it's still there in spirit).

The original take was played on three synths Casio CZ1 (Arp) Korg DW8000 (Pad) and Yamaha DX7s (Bass, not used) using Cubase's Apache 5 arpeggiator. The new bass is a patch I knocked up today on Steinberg's Prologue. Kit parts are spread between Stylus RMX and Steinberg Halion. All synth sounds were programmed by me. Additional effects come courtesy of Cubase's standard set and possibly the IK CSR plug-in (I can't remember if I had that when this was first written and I forgot to check today).
Nice. Reminds me of japanese in game music for console adventures.
Old 9th March 2011
Lives for gear

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolColJ View Post
Andromeda stuff
Those are some beautiful sounds man. That one called "nice" is fantastic.

Seems the Andy is workin out for ya, very cool.
Old 9th March 2011
Lives for gear

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xero View Post
back on topic, here's one I made around when I just got my jupiter 8 last may, haven't uploaded it to soundcloud before so here it is now:
That's a great song. Totally love the vibe, warts and all! Nice mystery movie stuff, nice sound. Looks like I quoted the wrong section, referring to the first track.

Last edited by steelyfan; 9th March 2011 at 03:24 PM.. Reason: wrong quote tags
Old 9th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaft9000 View Post
1st 5 minutes is JP-8 arp in random mode

Haven't had a chance to listen to everything posted up so far, but man that sound at 5:30 made my heart smile. That's awesome.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search