Login / Register
 
Any Collaborations?
New Reply
Subscribe
remote337
Thread Starter
#1
28th February 2011
Old 28th February 2011
  #1
Lives for gear
 
remote337's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 721

Thread Starter
remote337 is offline
Any Collaborations?

I put a search in and it seems that there are very rarely any collaborations via GS.

While I understand the pros probably are too busy with paying work there are a lot of like minded, experienced people on here that produce quality.

Is it a case of too many opinions and egos or are people a bit shy with their stuff??

Not sure how it could work whether it would be better to offer up individual parts or whole tracks that could then be provided as stems?

Any thoughts?
__________________
Macbeth M3X, MS20, FRXS, MKS80, 12U Modular, Jupiter 6, Supernova, Mopho, Ridgefarm Boiler, SDE 330, RME FF800, Alesis AI3, Adam A7X & Cubase 6 (PC).

http://soundcloud.com/opikoort
#2
28th February 2011
Old 28th February 2011
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Tarkovsky's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,019

Tarkovsky is offline
Golden Beers and I are collaborating. Essentially this involves me going to his studio to salivate on his awesome gear.
remote337
Thread Starter
#3
28th February 2011
Old 28th February 2011
  #3
Lives for gear
 
remote337's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 721

Thread Starter
remote337 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkovsky View Post
Golden Beers and I are collaborating. Essentially this involves me going to his studio to salivate on his awesome gear.
Lol, yeah I can imagine from his posts that's some set up!

Did you start something from scratch together or use one of yours or his existing pieces to work on?

Do you work on it / them separately or only when you are together?

Sorry to be nosey I'm just interested to see if it's something that could happen more on GS.
#4
28th February 2011
Old 28th February 2011
  #4
Gear maniac
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 180

barney956 is offline
I'm working with few guys in USA on GS; really starting to come together quite nicely.
remote337
Thread Starter
#5
28th February 2011
Old 28th February 2011
  #5
Lives for gear
 
remote337's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 721

Thread Starter
remote337 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by barney956 View Post
I'm working with few guys in USA on GS; really starting to come together quite nicely.
Is that from one of you're ideas developed backwards and forwards or more of a partially finished tracks developed or remixed etc?
#6
28th February 2011
Old 28th February 2011
  #6
Gear maniac
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 272

Paul Greenway is offline
What genre do you produce?

I could use some input on some unfinished projects. I'm definitely down for a collaboration of any sort...
remote337
Thread Starter
#7
1st March 2011
Old 1st March 2011
  #7
Lives for gear
 
remote337's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 721

Thread Starter
remote337 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Greenway View Post
What genre do you produce?

I could use some input on some unfinished projects. I'm definitely down for a collaboration of any sort...
Hi Paul


I tend to skip about a bit and find it difficult to pin down genres.

Are you looking for someone to start something with, or use a track or part of your tracks to give you new ideas?
#8
1st March 2011
Old 1st March 2011
  #8
Lives for gear
 
kilon's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Athens, Hellas
Posts: 2,872

kilon is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by remote337 View Post
I put a search in and it seems that there are very rarely any collaborations via GS.

While I understand the pros probably are too busy with paying work there are a lot of like minded, experienced people on here that produce quality.

Is it a case of too many opinions and egos or are people a bit shy with their stuff??

Not sure how it could work whether it would be better to offer up individual parts or whole tracks that could then be provided as stems?

Any thoughts?
Actually I love collabs and I have even started a thread about it long time ago

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/elect...pply-here.html

The moderators have been kind enough to make it a sticky, but they unstickied as it was not so active , but I know that some collabs have take place through the thread .

I am always available for a collab, I am abit slow but I always deliver, I am doing mainly ambient, but I am open to any kind of genre . I have done 2 collabs with my Friend Piter that have been very successful ("call of the Beast", "Returning to Atlantis"), both songs have been released in the Collab thread. I have done also another collab with my friend George Megas via soundclick, this is the song

__________________
New blog containing all the things I love doing. 3d graphics / 2d graphics /Ambient Music / Python Programming. ---> http://kilon.blogspot.com/
#9
1st March 2011
Old 1st March 2011
  #9
Gear maniac
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 272

Paul Greenway is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by remote337 View Post
Hi Paul


I tend to skip about a bit and find it difficult to pin down genres.

Are you looking for someone to start something with, or use a track or part of your tracks to give you new ideas?
We could start something from scratch too. I'm down for whatever. Got a lot of time in the next few weeks..so this shouldn't be a problem.
msl
#10
1st March 2011
Old 1st March 2011
  #10
msl
Lives for gear
 
msl's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Berlin
Posts: 5,126
My Recordings/Credits

msl is offline
I've collaborated with a member in the US, he recorded some sax for me for a track I was working on. It was off of Kilon's collab thread, came out really good in the end.




.
__________________
“As long as I am able to disseminate an alternate reality to the commercial blast, I am happy" - Juan Atkins

michael-lovatt.com
soundcloud
#11
1st March 2011
Old 1st March 2011
  #11
Lives for gear
 
alexp's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Niagara
Posts: 3,891

Send a message via MSN to alexp
alexp is offline
I would be interested in hanging out and or working with someone local, doing anything from progressive house to synth pop.



alexP
#12
1st March 2011
Old 1st March 2011
  #12
Lives for gear
 
golden beers's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 8,155

golden beers is offline
first off just to say that if you go blindly into a collaboration just assuming you both like the same things, it's not going to end well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by remote337 View Post
Lol, yeah I can imagine from his posts that's some set up!

Did you start something from scratch together or use one of yours or his existing pieces to work on?

Do you work on it / them separately or only when you are together?

Sorry to be nosey I'm just interested to see if it's something that could happen more on GS.
my set up is small potatoes, believe me.

the way we're currently working is the Tarkonizer comes over with some tribal-futurist ultra dense percussion loops of his own making.

we then bounce them into my daw.
discuss the layers and processes them, eg we took a small percussive element and fed it into the MS20 and jammed with it. used audio sections from that jam. added a special convolution verb i've been working on to another element.
play about, experiment, edit. mix.

talk about adding layers or re-doing layers with this synth or that. try some things out.

we're happy with the way things are going on this track.

when it's finished maybe next time we'll do the same.

we have a track of his on the back burner we want to re-work. when we get more used to how to work together we'll have a bash at that.

...

I think it's fine to work on elements separately but not cool to get attached to these elements. best to use what we do apart as a sketch and rework that sketch (or throw it away) when we're together.

...

we're just at the start of this colab so our working practice isnt set yet.

...

it's very important to have a meeting before any kind of commitment to work together creatively.

we met up last year after some email exchanges. during that meeting I made sure that the Tarkenstien wasn't too precious about his creations - that he was open to my opinions. There's nothing worse in a collaboration than one party liking his own ideas just because they're his own. This happens all the time, some people can't step back and listen. We both can and we both want what's best for the project without ego getting involved. so I have high hopes for what we're going to produce.


The starting point for me was finding someone's music here on GS that I understood and liked. Also I really think that the Tbird has strenghts where I have weakness and vice versa.. The guy was eqing shit in our mix I didnt even know was there. a real education in mixology for me.
__________________
_____________________________________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel View Post
The knob on the Source is perhaps the ballsiest knob ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LimpyLoo View Post
My gearection has gone from 'Fairchild' to 'Behringer'...
Quote:
Originally Posted by apprenticemart2 View Post
I like the sample packs with booby girls on the front cover or sound engineers lookin' 'ard as fur.
#13
1st March 2011
Old 1st March 2011
  #13
Lives for gear
 
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 717

ilovesound is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexp View Post
I would be interested in hanging out and or working with someone local, doing anything from progressive house to synth pop.



alexP
I alex ... I live downtown Toronto ... where abouts do you live?
remote337
Thread Starter
#14
1st March 2011
Old 1st March 2011
  #14
Lives for gear
 
remote337's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 721

Thread Starter
remote337 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden beers View Post
first off just to say that if you go blindly into a collaboration just assuming you both like the same things, it's not going to end well.



my set up is small potatoes, believe me.

the way we're currently working is the Tarkonizer comes over with some tribal-futurist ultra dense percussion loops of his own making.

we then bounce them into my daw.
discuss the layers and processes them, eg we took a small percussive element and fed it into the MS20 and jammed with it. used audio sections from that jam. added a special convolution verb i've been working on to another element.
play about, experiment, edit. mix.

talk about adding layers or re-doing layers with this synth or that. try some things out.

we're happy with the way things are going on this track.

when it's finished maybe next time we'll do the same.

we have a track of his on the back burner we want to re-work. when we get more used to how to work together we'll have a bash at that.

...

I think it's fine to work on elements separately but not cool to get attached to these elements. best to use what we do apart as a sketch and rework that sketch (or throw it away) when we're together.

...

we're just at the start of this colab so our working practice isnt set yet.

...

it's very important to have a meeting before any kind of commitment to work together creatively.

we met up last year after some email exchanges. during that meeting I made sure that the Tarkenstien wasn't too precious about his creations - that he was open to my opinions. There's nothing worse in a collaboration than one party liking his own ideas just because they're his own. This happens all the time, some people can't step back and listen. We both can and we both want what's best for the project without ego getting involved. so I have high hopes for what we're going to produce.


The starting point for me was finding someone's music here on GS that I understood and liked. Also I really think that the Tbird I has strenghts where I have weakness and vice versa.. The guy was eqing shit in our mix I didnt even know was there. a real education in mixology for me.
Thanks GB I couldn't agree more with the points you have made. That was kind of the point of my op to get people talking and sharing stuff as it didn't seem to be happening.

Having said that it appears Kilon has been through this before and in a lot better manner than my half arsed attempt!

I also though it maybe fun to post up individual pieces as GB has mentioned. A drum loop or bass line for others to go away with, add to, rearrange, totally twist, whatever. Post it back and see where it ends up.

Perhaps now Kilons link is on here we can resurrect that. I think my search missed it cause I searched the whole word rather than

I guess the key to this as GB said is not to be precious about anything. I am hoping I will learn a lot from any input from others.
#15
1st March 2011
Old 1st March 2011
  #15
Lives for gear
 
golden beers's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 8,155

golden beers is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by remote337 View Post
I also though it maybe fun to post up individual pieces as GB has mentioned. A drum loop or bass line for others to go away with, add to, rearrange, totally twist, whatever. Post it back and see where it ends up.
yea that kind of thread has been attempted a few times in the past. There really isn't much motivation for people to join in with that kind of thing. I myself have put up a couple of synthesis challenge threads. which is about as basic a contribution as you can make and they never go for more than a couple of pages (they're fun tho). what i'm getting at here is if you want to get some kind of collective creative thang going you need to make it super simple. like i did with my systhesis threads. one sound. do it for fun, or don't.

if it's not a simple task you need to offer something, like a prize or a release or something, not just say hey this would be cool if we all did this together. .
#16
1st March 2011
Old 1st March 2011
  #16
Lives for gear
 
Tarkovsky's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,019

Tarkovsky is offline
Golden Balls and I have been really quite fortunate in that our processes are different but complimentary.

I generally work with sample mangling... which is great for rhythmic construction. A lot of the time I achieve what I do through a fair bit of directionless experimentation. Then I find a pivotal element and build from there.

HE WHO SHALL NOT BE NAMED is quite the opposite when we are working together... he's able to synthesise very complex sounds at will and with an exceptional degree of realism and quality. The first time he played me his drum sounds I thought they were recordings of acoustic drums. In fact they were dry sounds straight from his synths.

And for anyone whose asking, I can definitely recommend his 'Red Bush'.
#17
1st March 2011
Old 1st March 2011
  #17
Lives for gear
 
golden beers's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 8,155

golden beers is offline
oh giving out names on the interwebs now is it ***!!!!
#18
1st March 2011
Old 1st March 2011
  #18
Lives for gear
 
gregwar's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: toronto
Posts: 517

gregwar is offline
i'm down with collabs and in the toronto area

generally do them one of three ways in person, drop box or usb keys and exchanging reaper files (for cross platform).

i've been doing rap beats, dance, noize, ambient, drum and bass, dance hall, rock, etc recently.

shoot me a pm if anyone's interested
#19
1st March 2011
Old 1st March 2011
  #19
Gear nut
 
tojo's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: the great north
Posts: 128

tojo is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovesound View Post
I alex ... I live downtown Toronto ... where abouts do you live?
I wouldn't mind seeing how this plays out. I'm a southern ontarian too.
#20
1st March 2011
Old 1st March 2011
  #20
Gear nut
 
tojo's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: the great north
Posts: 128

tojo is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregwar View Post
i'm down with collabs and in the toronto area

generally do them one of three ways in person, drop box or usb keys and exchanging reaper files (for cross platform).

i've been doing rap beats, dance, noize, ambient, drum and bass, dance hall, rock, etc recently.

shoot me a pm if anyone's interested
I work with ableton live, and am really into ambient, post rock, sort of stuff, if you want to try something.
remote337
Thread Starter
#21
1st March 2011
Old 1st March 2011
  #21
Lives for gear
 
remote337's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 721

Thread Starter
remote337 is offline
So Matt & Zak where are you based?
#22
1st March 2011
Old 1st March 2011
  #22
Lives for gear
 
alexp's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Niagara
Posts: 3,891

Send a message via MSN to alexp
alexp is offline
To ilovesound and tojo... Im out in St Catharines! Pm me!


alexP
#23
1st March 2011
Old 1st March 2011
  #23
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,275

Franc is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkovsky View Post
Golden Beers and I are collaborating. Essentially this involves me going to his studio to salivate on his awesome gear.
LOL! I was hoping on collaborating with Koko aka Jungle Boy to help me create a fresh, futuristic and future of electro pop image.

I suspect he got a record deal here cause a guy PM'ed him who wanted to promote him.
#24
1st March 2011
Old 1st March 2011
  #24
Lives for gear
 
Tarkovsky's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,019

Tarkovsky is offline
Updated. Yeah?

#25
1st March 2011
Old 1st March 2011
  #25
Gear addict
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 431

tonevision is offline
I tried this kind of collab here on GS , I sent him a track and hi did not like it. People are people, I mean u have to find a person like you, in my case MSTR looking for a KRFT. I'm just a sound engineer but I recently discovered that technology is with me
remote337
Thread Starter
#26
1st March 2011
Old 1st March 2011
  #26
Lives for gear
 
remote337's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 721

Thread Starter
remote337 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonevision View Post
I tried this kind of collab here on GS , I sent him a track and hi did not like it, not at all People are people, I mean u have to find a person like you, in my case MSTR looking for a KRFT. I'm just a sound engineer but I recently discovered that technology is with me
Sorry mate I have no idea what you are trying to say!?!
#27
2nd March 2011
Old 2nd March 2011
  #27
Lives for gear
 
bloodsample's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 1,146

bloodsample is offline
I'd love to collaborate with someone either remotely (chat/file swapping) or locally (Montreal).

I'm currently into minimal and/or acid.

PM me if you might be interested.

Cheers.
#28
2nd March 2011
Old 2nd March 2011
  #28
Gear maniac
 
bauwerk's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Sweden
Posts: 164

bauwerk is offline
How do you people go about working on colabs via the internet?
I've tried it a couple of times but most of the time it results in an unfinished song or hardly getting started before one part gives up.
One thing for instance is the communication that often works badly, especially if your in different timezones.
I often feel the need for an instant response on an idea so i can go on with it or scrap it.

If your not using the same sequencer i presume you are sending wavs back and forth. Then there's this other problem if you ain't mixing hot, for instance a lot of the time i have faders set to -15 mixing around the kick peaking perhaps around -10 dbfs. Every bounce of that track would need to be bounced at 0 dbfs to keep the slider around -15dbfs.
Can be a bit annoying with plenty of bounces back and forth, perhaps it's just me that is easily annoyed and i should just change the way i am working when doing a colab via internet.

Any tips for improved workflow when doing colabs is appreciated.
Wish i had some people locally, but all i know that was into electronic has moved to bigger cities.
#29
2nd March 2011
Old 2nd March 2011
  #29
Lives for gear
 
kilon's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Athens, Hellas
Posts: 2,872

kilon is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauwerk View Post
How do you people go about working on colabs via the internet?
I've tried it a couple of times but most of the time it results in an unfinished song or hardly getting started before one part gives up.
One thing for instance is the communication that often works badly, especially if your in different timezones.
I often feel the need for an instant response on an idea so i can go on with it or scrap it.

If your not using the same sequencer i presume you are sending wavs back and forth. Then there's this other problem if you ain't mixing hot, for instance a lot of the time i have faders set to -15 mixing around the kick peaking perhaps around -10 dbfs. Every bounce of that track would need to be bounced at 0 dbfs to keep the slider around -15dbfs.
Can be a bit annoying with plenty of bounces back and forth, perhaps it's just me that is easily annoyed and i should just change the way i am working when doing a colab via internet.

Any tips for improved workflow when doing colabs is appreciated.
Wish i had some people locally, but all i know that was into electronic has moved to bigger cities.
I use the simplest approach possible, turn based. It usually take 3-4 turns to finish one song. I start then I email to you then you add to it and then i do then you do etc. And viola , its finished.
#30
2nd March 2011
Old 2nd March 2011
  #30
Gear nut
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 81

phase_ghost is offline
I'd love to do more collab stuff. I've tried with people in the past, but it never really worked out that great. Probably because it was completely computer based at that time. A friend of mine recently got into making music, but our skill levels are so far apart, it's less of a collaboration and more me showing him stuff. We jammed a few times, but I don't see anything really come out of it. Maybe in a few years.

Location is the main problem for me. I'm around 35 miles west of Pittsburgh, but traveling there to hook up on any type of regular basis is a pain in the ass. Anyone close to Steubenville, Oh feel free to get at me.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 
 
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Gerax / So much gear, so little time!
5
timbreman / Electronic Music Instruments & Electronic Music Production
1
juicylime / So much gear, so little time!
3

Forum Jump

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.